The Prey

Lost Identity

The city was already clouded in darkness, not even a single person was on the street, the heavy fog made it difficult to see the road but not for me. Thanks to my sharp eyes, I can see everything, even all the things that’s happening within a distance of five miles. I was standing on a big branch of a tree, kneeling down on one knee and anxiously waiting for someone. There he was, my prey. Since one week I have been wachting him in silence, today’s finally the night I’ll take my chance to make him my victim.

He came out of the florist’s with a bouquet of roses in his hands. He smelt on the roses, he just put a sad smile on. It’s odd! Why does someone smell on roses and feel sad about it? I don’t understand him. His sad face was doing something with me, I felt a little pain in the chest. I don’t know what this should be so I ignored the pain for the time being.

Finally, he kept moving. He wandered around on the street, it seemed like he doesn’t know where he was actually going. I put the hood over my head to hide my face then secretly followed him without leaving a trace behind. He stood before the main street, gazing absent-minded at the green light. It took a while before he realized that the light was green and he could have crossed the street long ago.

As he was about to cross over the street, the light changed to red, a car approached him with an incredible speed. He stood riveted on the spot, couldn’t move an inch. The driver reacted fast, he stepped on the brake. The car held before his feet, it almost hitted him. He trembled in fear, fell and hitted his on the ground. The driver dashed out of the vehicle, he furioulsy screamed at him.

  „Are you stupid?“, the man yelled. „Do you want to kill yourself?“

Out of shock, he couldn’t even mutter a word. He just bowed his head down and apologized many times. His eyes swayed to my side, I quickly stepped back to avoid been seen. When the driver accepted his apologies, he continued his way. I let him advance some meters then followed him again.

All the sudden he froze on the spot, gazed at the place in front of him. A cemetery? I was a few meters behind him, made a high jump aside and softly landed on a branch of a big tree near a grave. What is he searching at this late hour in a lonely place like that? Who’s he looking for?

I’m confused. Why do I have so many question regarding him, a complete stranger? The young man took a long breath then entered the graveyard and stopped in front of a grave, many new flowers were recently placed on it. He squated down, stared at the tombstone for awhile. Silence arose around him, his lips curved up into a heartbreaking smile.

My ears were sharp enough, they allowed me to hear him, even at this long distance. I curiously listened to him.

  „Im sorry I couldn’t visit you earlier. The study didn’t give me time“, he gently on the tombstone, „Happy 19th Birthday.“

The bouquet of roses found a place over the other flowers. His eyes gleamed as if a light was reflected on them. Tears? He’s silently crying by myself. Rustle of leaves could be heard, a man approached him. Another creature? I wanted to step forward but recognized that he was one of his friends I often saw by his side. He bent down to him, laid his arm around his back to support him. As my prey realized him beside him, he wipped the tears from his face.

  „P’Jet? What’re you?“, his voice cracked from the many tears he just let out. He cought to restore his voice, „What’re you doing here?“, he repeated the question.

  „I was searching for you.“

  „How did you know I was here?“

  „Today’s his birthday. I knew you would want to be by his side“, was his reply. He smiled at the grave, „Don’t make your boyfriend always cry like that. Tell him not to mourn over you anymore.“

My prey looked at the tombstone, couldn’t restrain himself and went back and forth. When he couldn’t held the tears back anymore, he cried by himself. Jet rushed to him and hugged him passionately. He too hugged him tightly, silently sobbed in his arms. To see them so intimated like that made me growl from anger, for some unknown reason I was furious at Jet for touching my prey. I was about to lose my coolness, the dark colour of my lenses immediately changed to red. Stop! It wasn’t the time to strike yet. I need him to be alone first.

  „Everything was my fault“, he sobbed.

  „It’s not true. You didn’t know this would happen to him“, was Jet’s attempt of taking his pain, his guilty feelings away.

  „I killed him“, the tears rolled down nonstop. „If I wasn’t that impatient, he would still be alive.“

A sad atmosphere laid around them, silence arose, not even a single rustle of leaves could be heard, only his sobbing echoed in the air. I could sense his sadness, hear his loud pounding heart, especially feel his unbearable pain. Again this little ache in my heart, my chest felt heavy as if something big was deposed on it. I placed a hand over my chest. What the hell’s going on? I shouldn’t feel like that, I don’t have a beating heart. I’m not a human after all.

Jet gently pulled him away from his body, wipped the tears from his face and gave him a passionate smile. „Come, I’ll bring you home.“

As he calmed down, he nodded then neared with him the entrance of the cemetery. He threw a look behind, sadly watched at the grave. They existed the graveyard and disappeared from my sight. I made a jump down, landed before the grave of the mystery person. I put my hands in the pockets while reading the sentence on the gravestone.

  „In love and memories of our beloved son and friend, Earn“, were engraved on it. His birthday and obit were writting under the sentence too. He recently died, just a few months ago.

Earn? This name, it sounded familiar but I can’t remember where I hear it. My head thumped, it ached too, I touched on my forehead to ease the pain. A picture suddenly appeared in my mind. It was the picture of the young man I was observing since one week, he was brightly smiling like the sun in the sky. With this genuine smile he could make everyone happy. A thought dawned in my head: Why should i remember something about someone I don't even know? Why of all things, my prey Pete?