The Jump

After A Long Long While
Please log in to read the full chapter

‘What in the world is she thinking about?’

AeRi is taking  shower while I’m outside washing the plates we used for breakfast. I’ve known her for six years now, and I’ve seen her in a worse state before. The called I got last night just remind me of our fisrt meeting.

I was night-jogging as a ‘me-time’ moment. I love doing all kind of sports, but during winter I like jogging more because I can fell the cold air in my face without being freeze to death because my body creates heat as I exercise. My route that night was Han River. I’ve been execising for an hour when I decided to call it a day and go home when I saw a lady climbed up a bridge railing above the river. I looked arounf to see if there’s another person to witness this only to found out I was alone with her. If she jump and dies, I will be the last person that saw her.

“Aggashi!! Cogiyo aggashi!! Guemane.” I cuppep my palm around my mouth to shout at her.

She heard me then looked at my direction. Her facial expression that night was something I never forget. She looked like someone who’s live has been taken away from her. Her wet face shone brightly reflecting the street light. I could hear her crying for some more. I remember she hesitated to jump.

“Aggashi! Don’t do anything, okay? I will come to you, and I will bring you back on the ground, okay?” I ran a quick as I could for a stair near the bridge and get to her location immediately.

Her crying sounded louder and louder.

“Hey.. look here aggashi. It’s okay. Whatever it is you can talk with me. Okay?” I tried to reach out to her.

She looked at my hands then looked at the river below. “How cold is it do you think?” her trembling voice came through.

“Very cold I believe. Can you swim?” I tried to distract her as I came closer.

She shook her head. “how painful do you think it will be?” She asked again.

“Well, from what I read, the cold will punch your skin like knives. Later your lungs will hyperventilate gasping for air because the pressure it gets from the sudden cold. Next hypothermia will kick in, force you to open your mouth because you’re desperately gasping for air. That’s when the water comes in and fill in your lungs which will hurt even more since it’s your internal organ.” I explained that to her not to encourage her, but to distract her. As I finished explaining her future death step-by –step, I managed to grab her shoulder.

She didn’t react to my words or my touch. I’m sure

Please log in to read the full chapter