Chapter 8

A Warm December

 

“Stupid. Stupid!” I kick my feet against the icy ground with haste. “Agh!” I screamed at the top of my lungs. I was glad no one was there to hear me.

“Why am I so stupid?” I was fighting back tears now. It’s never a good idea to cry when it’s cold… you could get sick. I sniffed and kept walking, not really paying attention as to where.

“Seriously? Why can’t I just keep my stupid ing mouth shut? This is retarded. You don’t get into word-less fights with the people you supposedly love. Right? Like what the . He’s being such an . But then again, he doesn’t even know… But he sure knows how to lead a guy on.” I stopped walking for a second to breathe. I looked up and found myself at the bottom of the ski lift. I just noticed for the first time that it was on. All the slopes were lit. I smiled to myself and grabbed a snowboard.

---

“I need to clear my head.” I was about to push my self off when my phone rang. Great, just what I need. I didn’t even look at the number I just pressed talk.

“What?!” I yelled. Some one scoffed on the other end.

“Kibum-hyung where are you? It’s been an hour and we’re all worried.”

“All of you?”

“Yes, even Jonghyun-hyung.”

“Sure.”

“Seriously! Where are you?”

“I’m boarding.”

“You’re WHAT?! It’s freaking midnight! Get your back here!” I heard some muffled words in the back ground. When Minho spoke  again his voice seemed to have moved away from the phone a bit.

“He says he’s on the hill! He’s snowboarding.” He sounded really pissed off.

“Minho calm down. Seriously, I’m fine I just need to clear my head.”

“You have an injured ankle Kibum, if you fall again, you won’t be able to get up.”

“That’s why I have a phone this time.” I told him calming, I think he was getting irritated.

“The other are out looking for you, I’m going to call them and tell them to get you back here.”

“Who are the ‘others’?” I asked skeptically.

“Dara, Jinki and Jjong. I’m here with Taemin, Minji and Chaerin.” Oh. My. God.

“I don’t think so Minho, you tell Jjong where I am and I’ll kill you. Goodbye.” I hung up on him, with letting him respond. I looked down at the path in front of me, making up a rout in my mind. I was going to land that jump this time.

I pushed off and went around the same way as last time, lining myself for the jump. I flew off the ramp, getting some pretty good air at the same time. I went over a few more small ramps until I reached the mid way point of the hill, I decided the main track was getting old. I swerved off into the trees, the light from the main path was suddenly hidden, and only the moonlight was guiding me.

I was doing all right until I was surrounded by tall ever-greens. They blocked most of the light that I did have. I was still making it out okay until a tray branch hit me in the knee and I toppled over.  I landed on my side, face first into the snow. Suddenly my ankle started to throb, but I couldn’t really just stay there, so I pushed myself into a sitting position. After letting myself rest for a bit, I stood up. My ankle tensed but I just ignored it, it wasn’t that bad.

I got myself ready to push off again, using a nearby tree as leverage and I was off again. I couldn’t really see where I was going at all now, but I have good enough sense to judge where things were.

Suddenly my ankle tensed, sending a shock of pain up by back. In reflex I reached around to hold onto the sore part, but this flattered my balance, is started to swerve and the next thing I knew I was tittering on the edge of a drop I hadn’t known was there, I slid along the edge until my ankle tensed again and I fell over. I lost my balance again when I reached to hold onto my ankle, and I fell sideways off the cliff.