Chapter 7

A Warm December

 

“That was a lot of fun guys; we should do it again tomorrow.” Dara exclaimed, falling down onto the couch between Minji and me. She smiled at me apologetically.

“Well, if you’re up for it.” I smiled back at her.

“I’m sure I’ll be good by tomorrow. It’s not that bad.” I looked over at Chaerin across the table, waiting.

“She still doesn’t know it was you who was on the ramp with her, eh?” Dara leaned closer to whisper in my ear. I looked at her, and shook my head.

“No, no she doesn’t. I don’t know if I should tell her. I guess there would be no point by now.” She gave me a determined look.

“Hey Chaerin, I heard you almost wiped out today out on the slopes?” Dara spoke up, looking towards her expectantly. I gapped at Dara. Oh no, I don’t want to get in trouble. Chaerin stopped talking to Minho and Jjong for a second to look over at Dara.

“Yeah, I did, I think someone was coming up behind me, but I made it over just fine.” She said casually. I grinded my teeth.

“Don’t you want to know who it was? And that person didn’t come up behind you, they were right beside you the whole time.” I spit out. Probably sounded harsher than I wanted it too. She blinked at me.

“Really? I wasn’t looking around me. But, who cares right? It’s not like I got hurt.” I stood up and glared at her, her face turn to shock. Dara stood up too and pushed me back down and cleared .

“The other person did get hurt though Chae.” She said in a soft tone, staying calmer than I had.

“Oh really? That’s too bad.” She replied thoughtfully. I smirked.

“Yeah but I’m okay now, thanks for asking.” I said sarcastically. Her head whipped around and stared at me open mouthed.

“Th-that was you?” she asked her voice rising with concern. I nodded once. “I’m so sorry Kibum-ssi!” she said, standing up, walking around the table and bowed. “I’m really am, I wasn’t looking at my surroundings.” I tapped her on the shoulder.

“It’s fine Chaerin-noona, I just wanted you to know it was me. Sorry we brought it up.” I wanted to kick myself as I said this, but I really didn’t want her to feel so bad. She stood up straight and smiled at me, then gave me a hug.

“Thanks Kibum!” she let go and sauntered back to her seat between Minho and Jjong. Jjong looked up at me then, smiled at me, it was a warm smile, I was about to smile back when he mouthed ‘thanks for not making it a big deal’. I froze, my eyes narrowed and my almost-smile turned into a bitter frown. Yes, I’m sorry; I obviously wanted this to be a huge deal.

“I’m sorry, was I causing a scene?” I asked aloud. Raising an eyebrow to Jjong. Minho gave me a warning glare, but I ignored it. “Sorry, what I meant to say was, ‘I am making you look bad in front of your new boo?’” I emphasized the last words carefully. Jjong gave me a frightened look, an expression I didn’t expect.

“What are you talking about Kibum?” Jjong choked out. “It’s not like that we’re just friends. Just friends.” He repeated it slowly, making sure that I heard him. I scoffed.

“Yeah, that’s why you’ve been with her this whole time, and not us – or me.” I scowled at him, his eye brows knitted together.

“Ki-Kibum, don’t take it that way…” he began, but trailed off, not being able to find the words he needed to fix this mess.

“Don’t even. Whatever it’s fine. I’m not that important anyway.” I turn on my heels and began to walk out of the café-lounge, but stopped when Jjong spoke up.

“What is that supposed to mean?” I turned to face him.

“It means, I’m out.” And with that I walked out of the room.