Chapter 6

A Warm December

 

“Oh no. Oh no, no, no, no. Nuh-uh! Not going to happen! I don’t think so!” I protested loudly, shaking my head back and forth fast to emphasize my point.

“You don’t have a choice Kibum.” Jjong called over his shoulder, as he walked towards the ski lift with Chaerin – ew – and Bom – no comment. Just ahead of them was Jinki and Taemin, walking unusually close to each other – not that it really mattered, I just noticed was all.

“Move it,” Minho came up behind me shoving my forward. “Now hyung.”

“No!!” I cried just about ready to turn and run. This was a bad idea! I’m so dumb. “I don’t want to go up there!”

“Hyung, it’s not that high…”

“It’s not the going up part, it’s the getting down part.” I said impatiently.

“Don’t worry, I can teach you how to ski!” he said with a smile, as if that was going to help. Pfft, I could ski…

“Great, it’s decided!” he state, before I could even think of how to respond, he grabbed my hood and literally dragged me to the ski lift.

---

“Okay, you got me up here… But there is no way I’m going down that hill!!!” I wailed, clinging to a random-I-don’t-know-why-it-was-actually-there-pole. Minho was just standing next to me giving me the most what-the--is-wrong-with-you-look. I just smiled weakly at him.

“Kibum, stop being a baby.” Jjong said as he passed me to walk to the starting point on the hill next to Dara and Jinki. I narrowed my eyes. It’s your damn fault I’m even up here. .

“Hyung! Here,” Taemin walked up to me, holding in one arm a snowboard and in the other a pair of skis, “which one are you using?” I looked at what he had in his hand, my eyes drawn to like sky blue snowboard. I almost reached out to grab it but stopped myself. I shook my head.

“No Tae, I can’t.” I gripped the pole tighter.

“Hyung, take the board and go.” He dropped the skis and grabbed me by the collar yanking me off the pole – since when was he so strong? He shoved the board against my chest, I gripped it in reflex and he smiled and walked off. I shivered. It’s cold.

“You know, Chaerin’s really good as snowboarding,” Bom came up beside me, “but you’re good too aren’t you?” I looked at her and nodded slightly.

“Yeah I used to board…”

“Give it a try okay?” she smiled, and I shook my head again.

“I can’t, I don’t even remember how to-” I was cut off by a loud laugh coming from behind me. I turned to see Jjong sitting in the snow and Chaerin standing over top of him laughing.

“Jjong@ You have no balance! Fine, I’m going down first!” she pulled her goggles over her eyes and turned to ride down. She took off rather fast and disappeared from view a few seconds after.

“Go for it.” Was the last thing Boms aid before running over to help Minji put on her skis. I looked at the board in my hands, okay, let’s do this thing. I stepped onto the board, clasping the holders over my feet and did that awkward-penguin-dance to where Jjong was still sitting in the snow, he looked up at me. I smiled at him giving him my hand to help him up.

“You’re going to snowboard?” he asked kind of shocked. I winked at him, pulling my own goggled down over my eyes.

“Yup.” And turned and took over down the slope. The wind hit my face and it felt so good I haven’t been on a slope in like forever. I breezed down through the flags for awhile then started going onto the ramps. Everything was going well considering I’m pretty rusty. Somehow though, when I looked to my right, guess who I see? Chaerin, just chillin’ out gliding down getting ready for the next ramp, that I was also on course for, and it was too late to move.

I looked between the two of us a few times. There was no way we were both going to make it over that at the same time, it was too small. I don’t think she even saw me. I started to panic and we came to the bottom of the ramp. The only thing I could think to do was stop. I spun to my left, digging my board into he ramp, launching myself over the edge, landing awkwardly on my ankle. Chaerin flew over top of me and kept going. Oh my god, don’t even stop to see if I’m not dead.

“Kibum!” I heard someone call to me, I was still stuck in the snow, so I couldn’t really move to tell them I was okay. My ankle started to throb.

“Kium-hyung!” Taemin called out now, coming around the side of the ramp. Minho, Jinki and Bom came soon after.

“Are you okay hyung!?” Taemin asked in a panic, trying to get out of his skis to come closer.

“Yeah, I think so; I may need help the rest of the way down though…”

“No problem hyung I’ll help you.” Minho spoke up and got out of his skis to help me stand up.

“I’ll call one of the Rangers and maybe they could send a skimobile thing to pick you two up.” Bom whipped out her phone hit a few numbers and turned around away from us to talk.

Once I was standing, I got out off my board and tried to walk towards Jinki and Taemin, but almost fell until Minho caught my arm.

“Oh, no, I don’t think so, let’s just wait until the Ranger gets here.” Minho said in a solemn voice. I nodded once.

“Hey guys! Why’re we all standing around? Hey did you see Chaerin kill this ramp? It was awesome! Too bad some idiot almost hit her.” Jjong glided up next to us with Minji, and everyone just stared at him. I was still leaning over on Minho’s arm, Taemin was still trying to get out of his skis and Bom had just closed her phone. We all stared until it clicked in his head.

“That was you wasn’t it Kibum?” he winced as he recalled his last comment.

“Yeah, that idiot was me.”

“Why were you trying to follow her?” I gapped at him.

“I wasn’t! I caught up to her and we were both going to the same ramp, she didn’t see me, if I didn’t stop we both could’ve gotten hurt.” I ranted at him.

“Yeah, but now you’re hurt.” He stated simply.

“So? I’m fine. Whatever, go find Chaerin or something.” He looked me over about three times then nodded.

“Yeah I’ll go do that.” He said and glided off down the slope. I bit my lip.

“.” I mumbled.