Mission XX: Heart II

Perfectly Dangerous

Secret Agents Dictionary:

 

Heart: Spirit, courage, or enthusiasm

 

 

Sung Hi couldn’t believe her luck.

The man she bumped against by mistake was in front of her offering her a cup of coffee and he was rich.

“Do you understand what I’m saying to you?” he asked gently since she had no reaction probably still not trusting his intentions.

“You want me to go live with you?”

“Not with me!” The man chuckled and she felt a little more relieved. For a while she thought he was a e ready to buy her for . “I mean in my house with my employees. I want to invest in your education and make you work as my secretary. What do you think?”

“My aunt won’t like it.”

“I don’t care.” He supported his arms on his thighs and leaned forward eyeing Sung Hi gently “And I don’t think you care either. You seem to have the same affection for her as she has for you. She is even willing to sell you to me.”

“Of course. Money is everything to her.”

“What is everything to you Sung Hi?”

No one ever dared to ask her that so she never had to think about it.

“Respect.” Yes she wanted people to respect her “Love.” And love for sure.

Sooman smiled and leaned back on his chair. “Think about my offer.”

She eyed the cup of coffee in her hand. He was offering her way more than a cup of coffee. It was a way out of her life, a way to have a new life, a life by his side.

She examined him carefully. He was a recently widowed man - she researched -  with a young daughter and he was known for being a good person and absolutely rich and powerful.

He seemed interested in her too so maybe if she was smart she would get both things she wanted from him: respect and love.

Yes she could learn to love that man.

“I accept!”

 
6ga3j8.jpg
 

- Present Day - 

Kibum never liked to be treated like a baby but surprisingly to him he didn’t mind Audrey’s constant presence in his bedroom nor her treating him as if he was going to break any minute.

He could eat alone even though he felt tired quickly, raising a spoon to his lips would be a piece of cake and yet she was feeding him as if he was a baby.

“Anything new?” he asked her, his only source of information since he couldn’t leave his bed and the others barely had time to visit and when they did they didn’t mention work or anything that could trouble him. It frustrated him!

“Areum is not pregnant and everyone is worried because Taemin disappeared. Jonghyun is giving Minho a hard time and Jinki and Areum barely leave their bedroom.”

Kibum ate the rice she offered him and Audrey collected the chopsticks to grab some egg to feed him. “They are trying to get her pregnant!” She chuckled amused guiding the food to his mouth.

“Good…a baby would be good.” He only mumbled feeling completely useless in that bed.

“Yes, some good finally happening.”

Audrey didn’t seem much better than him and he realized that he wasn’t the only one moody and stuck to that bedroom. She was too, acting like his nurse and he was being unfair with her.

He watched her while she fed him, the way she did it almost mechanical lost in her own thoughts and Kibum moved his hand on the bed grabbing her hand in his.

Audrey almost let the rice fall from the spoon and instead of feeding him she placed it back on the bowl.

Ever since he asked her to stay, saying he needed her he didn’t mention it again or made any gesture that would her see that his words had meaning so she was a little startled with that.

“As soon as I can leave this bed I’m going to take you on a date.” His words made her cheeks gain some color and that motivated him to keep talking “Also I’ll check about your family. I’ll visit the orphanage and investigate your parents like I promised. I’m sure I’ll find something.”

“I hope so.” She grabbed the spoon again ready to feed him but Kibum kept talking.

“You are much nicer to me now. Maybe the accident was a good thing after all!”

His comment left her speechless and Audrey opened and closed “Nicer? Me? Don’t joke! What do you mean nicer when I’m always the nicest to you and you are the one that is mean to me?!”

“When I left you were mean. You didn’t even say goodbye to me properly!”

Audrey’s gaze fell to the bed and he knew she felt guilty about it. He almost died and the last words she said to him were mean.

“That was…” she looked at him losing her courage slowly “Because…”

“Because?”

He could be intimidating and Audrey almost didn’t tell him.

“You said her name during sleep and I was jealous.” There was no point on lying. The worse thing he would do was laugh to her face. Wouldn’t be the first time.

He didn’t though raising his eyebrows slightly.  “Whose name?”

“I don’t know. It was Gi.”

His face became blank as if it didn’t surprise him at all “I dream with her a lot.”

That wasn’t what she expected to hear “Why?”

“Because I promised her something important before she died.”

His hand became lifeless on hers and Audrey knew it was a sad subject. “She died?”

Whoever she was she seemed to be important to him.

“In my arms.” He pursed his lips “When I was trying to save her.”

Kibum pushed the tray with food away and she was going to ask him if he lost his appetite but he started telling her the story of how he become friends with Jae and Gi, how things didn’t go well after Paris and how she end up dying in his arms. He did it as if there wasn’t a special connection to him, as if it was only a story but he couldn’t hide his feeling from her and she could see the sadness in his eyes when he told her how she died and how she made him promise to take care of the baby.

“Wow…” Audrey’s jaw dropped a little when she remembered her encounter with Gi in the past “I met her!”

“What?”

“Before…she was the daughter of Professor Han! I met her once after he died. She came to pick up his things. I found it weird that she entered the room alone and now I see. She was working for them. What a coincidence!”

“Yes.” He barely reacted pulling the tray closer to him again.

“But the baby!” Audrey moved on the bed worried “It’s still with Jae right? And he works for Dokko now! We need to save him!”

Kibum nodded his head and grabbed the spoon placing a mouthful of rice in his mouth.

He ate furiously as if he wanted to get healthy quickly and leave that bed.

She watched him tenderly grateful that he shared his story with her. The reason he entered SHINee was Gi, he searched for her for years only to have her die in his arms.

She couldn’t help but feel lucky that she was now the one he wanted to protect. Audrey wanted to think that she was also important to him.

He noticed her intense gaze on him so she looked away quickly trying to find something to say “Is the baby yours?”

She needed to know. It wouldn’t change anything she felt for him, but she needed to know how far his love story with Gi went.

“No. It’s my best friend’s baby and Jae’s. Just that.”

She smiled weakly and he caressed her hand under his, the sweet gesture warming her heart.

“I was going to raise it as mine.”

“Because you are an amazing man.” She looked at him intently and Kibum leaned forward kissing her.

It was their first kiss after the accident and she was motionless at first, startled with it. Kibum moved away slowly just when she seemed to realize what was happening and she cupped his face to kiss him back.

They kissed longer the second time and she sighed once he broke the kiss and sat back on the bed.

Even if they weren’t kissing anymore his gaze didn’t leave hers and Audrey felt too self-conscious wondering what he was thinking.

“You really have beautiful lips!” He remarked as if it was the most natural thing in the world and yawned loudly.

Audrey stood up awkwardly and grabbed the tray of food. He smiled noticing how her cheeks were a lot redder now. “Did my kiss please you that much?”

“W-what?” she seemed a bit lost. No wonder, he rarely showed his affection towards her so openly and she wasn’t used to it. Holding her hand, kissing her, praising her…

“Are you going to eat more?” She asked flinching when he touched her cheek, his fingers moving to her neck gently.

“Kissing you pleases me.”

Ok that wasn’t the answer she expected but certainly it made her weak on her knees.

“A-are you going to eat or not?”

He laughed softly but didn’t move his fingers from her skin, his touch made her spine tingle and she couldn’t stop thinking of the way she felt in his arms when they made love.

It was only one time and it felt as if it was ages ago.

“Audrey,” He grabbed her by her arm when she tried to move the tray away and his expression softened, his voice sounding more tender “You were the last person I thought about when I lose consciousness.”

His words made her tremble and she couldn’t tear her eyes away from him.

“I regretted not being with you more, not being honest with you. Not taking you out on a date, a proper one and not kissing you until I’m out of breath!”

He was being honest now and she didn’t know what to say anymore. She spent so many years scolding him for not being brave enough to face his own feelings and now  that he was opening up about it she had no reaction, she was frozen at his mercy.

“You know what it means, right? What I’m trying to say.”

“I’m not sure.” he could be clearer, she wanted him to be.

“For a smarter girl you are very slow!” He said it again teasing her, his loud laughter filling the room, the same one she feared to not hear ever again. “Well maybe I’ll explain it to you someday.”

She bit her lower lip wanting to hit him but he was hurt and still had that white bandage wrapped around hid head making him look like a fragile kid, so she breathed out slowly trying to control her anger.

“You should say it clearer!”

He ignored her and laid down back on the bed instead “I’m not hungry anymore. You can take the tray away!”

He was like a spoiled prince treating her as his nurse again.

“I’m not your nurse!” she exclaimed upset and he placed a hand on his forehead.

At first she thought he was pretending but his pained expression made her worry.

“Kibum?”

“My head is hurting again. I’m tired.” Kibum smiled slightly as if he was only pretending but she knew he wasn’t at all.

He kept saying she wasn’t smarter but there were many things Audrey knew about and one of them was reading him well. She barely could look away from him when he was in a room; she knew all of his expressions and reactions by heart.

“Idiot!” She called him softly, fixing his pillow for him and pulling the covers up his body.

“I heard that, I’m hurt not deaf!” he answered with his closed eyes and she leaned forward kissing his forehead before she grabbed the tray to leave.

He reacted quickly and grabbed her before she moved further away stealing another kiss from her lips.

It was brief but enough to make widen her eyes.

It amused him how a mere touch of his or kiss would make her react like that.

“Don’t take longer. I can’t fall asleep if you aren’t next to me.”

Audrey waited for him to say more but he released her arm and instead lay on his side on the bed, ready to sleep.

She watched him for a while holding the tray like an idiot until her heart calmed down.

 

6ga3j8.jpg

Areum waited until her father swallowed the medicine before she placed the glass on the bedside table.

He covered his body with the covers eyeing the big comfortable bedroom he was in.

His daughter hit the jackpot marrying not only a good man but also rich one.

“How is your husband?” He asked her “I haven’t seen him for a while. Is everything ok between you two?”

“Yes. I did what you told me to. I learned to forgive him and I’m happy. He is resting because of the accident. He will come to visit you later.”

“Of course.”

Her father noticed movement at the door and he smiled because Jinki was coming to visit him earlier than expected but clearly didn’t want to interrupt the moment he was having with his daughter and instead stood at the door.

Areum didn’t seem to notice and instead pulled a chair closer to his bed and sat beside him.

“I was a fool when it came to Jinki. I mean I had the right to be upset. He lied to me so I don’t regret being angry with him. His mistakes made me think about what we lived together as if they were a lies and also made me blind to what was really important.”

Her father didn’t answer but he knew Jinki was listening to everything outside the door and didn’t stop her.

“You said so, sometimes people do bad things, they lie and hurt us but it all has a reason. It should have. And sometimes that reason is much more important than the lie. He was alone, he decided to never fall in love ever and yet he met me…” she giggled shrugging her shoulders and her father laughed “And amazing Areum made him insanely in love so he risked everything. He did all for love. I’m not saying what he did was right just that I learned to accept it, that everyone commits mistakes, even the man I love. Right?”

“I’m sorry Areum!” he couldn’t say it enough times “I’m your father, I should have protected you and yet I did the opposite. I hope it’s not too late for us to be father and daughter again.”

Jinki leaned against the wall outside and waited, listening, knowing that it was never late when it came to Areum. Her heart was bigger than anything; she proved it to him when she forgot all his lies.

Her answer made him smile because he was right once again.

“It’s not late!” she raised her voice, something she did every time she was excited over something and he covered his mouth grinning, picturing her face in his head, her cute dimples when she smiled “I’m going to talk with Jinki. As soon as we can I want to marry again.”

That made him turn to peek inside and his elbow hit the wall making him frown in pain.

“Marry again?!”

“I want you to be at my wedding. I want my father to be there and Audrey too, my family and Jinki’s family. Everyone that truly matters. A real wedding for the right reasons!”

Jinki leaned back again and released a deep breath. She was right. That was something they should do, something he owned her more than a real honeymoon. Something he owned himself.

“Also I want you to meet your grandchildren and I want to write a good book, one where I can give a big presentation and proudly introduce my father and husband to everyone.”

Areum’s father laughed with her and Jinki knew that he probably should walk away and let them have their time alone.

“You were always a dreamer.” The old man said.

“I have it. All I ever dreamed of.” Jinki waited listening a bit more. Those were Areum’s private thoughts and the side of her he rarely experienced before, the daughter side. “I’m a writer, I’m healthy, Audrey is safe, you are here with me and I met someone like mom did, someone that I truly love.”

“Your mother must be proud of you. I wish I didn’t embarrass her memory with the way I behaved.”

“Aigo! I’m like her right? So if I learned to forgive my James Bond boyfriend than I’m sure she forgave you.”

Jinki frowned cutely outside the door. He was not James Bond, not at all, he was way more handsome than him and skilled too.

“What I mean is that if I forgave you than I’m sure mommy did too.”

He father awkwardly looked away and Areum took the initiative, hugging him. They stood like that in silence for a while, enough time for Jinki to peek at them curiously, blowing his cover completely.

They were awkward and yet adorable with Areum laying her head on her father’s shoulder, her hand caressing his back in soothing movements.

She was lucky. She could still do that and instead of feeling jealous, Jinki was happy for her.

She lost her mother when she was so young and in a way she lost her father too, in a worse way than he lost his.

He barely remembered them but he knew that they were good people, that they did everything to protect him until their last breath. For Areum her memories of her dad were always sad, sometimes even terrifying.

She always said she would never forgive him or see him again but Jinki was happy that she changed her mind, that he changed too, making that hug possible.

He watched them for a while his chest suddenly aching too much. Did he hug his father like that too? Did he look like Areum too? Safe in his arms?

“I love you daddy.”

Areum’s sweet words made Jinki clutch his head and he faltered against the wall.

The pain in his head was back and more intense than ever so he closed his eyes, wrinkling his nose while he clenched his teeth.

A cry of pain made Areum break away from her father and she stumbled to her feet when she saw Jinki bended in pain against the wall.

“Jinki?”

He couldn’t hear her cries of panic or feel her hands urgently pulling him to her because he was somewhere else, lost in the memories of the past he forgot.

 

I love you daddy.

The words echoed in his mind and they no longer belonged to Areum. He was saying them to his father a long time ago.

 

He was on the couch sitting beside him eating popcorn from a big bowl on his father’s lap, munching on them eyeing his toes move in front of him, below his blue Doraemon socks.

He snuggled against him and his dad caressed his head tenderly “Did you miss me that much?”

He didn’t see his father for weeks since he was out working.

“I love you daddy.”

His father’s smile was like the sun, he admired him so much and he was going to be like him when he grew up.

Someone sat beside Jinki and he had to move closer to his father. He didn’t mind at all, he felt safer with the couch full, with his mother there too and all the familiar things to him, things that were part of what he called home.

The laughter, mommy singing songs in a language he couldn’t understand, his father dancing with the bunny soft toy.

And then the tears that his father was quick to clean with his big fingers.

 

Another memory.

 

“A nightmare again Jinki?” He asked caressing the little kid’s head seemingly worried “There are no monsters under your bed.”´

“It wasn’t those monsters, it’s the ones after us.”

Jinki’s tearful confession made his father’s eyes drop.

“Oh Jinki, I’ll protect you. You don’t have to be afraid.” He hugged him against his chest and the little kid closed his eyes, the familiar scent of his father making him relax.

In the end the monsters did get to them.

 

Jinki screamed letting his body fell to the floor.

 

Another memory.

 

A scream of fear and he was out of his bedroom holding a flashlight. She needed him and he was going to protect her.

If only he saved her in the accident.

 

“Jinki are you ok?” Areum’s voice made him open his eyes and it took him a while to remember where he was and understood why Areum was looking at him as if he was dying.

He tried to stand up but failed to and fell back against the wall again, hurting his still injured back.

“Don’t move. I’ll call for help.”

“Is he ok?” Her father asked from the bed, placing his feet on the floor ready to stand up.

“Don’t stand up dad I’ll help him instead.” Areum turned to Jinki and touched his forehead.

“You are burning. You have a fever.”

“I can’t. I was fine…” he swallowed with difficulty his head hurting immensely, the pain making him blind. How was that possible if he was fine just a few moments ago.

“I’ll help you to bed!” She stood up and helped him getting on his feet, placing one arm around his waist and pulling him to the hallway while he used the wall to keep standing.

They moved slowly with him groaning in pain once in a while every time the headache was more intense.

“I saw my dad Areum.” He managed to say while she carried him with difficulty “I saw him…I felt his hug…I could smell him!” She panted finally reaching their bedroom and he helped her open the door so they could enter it.

“It was such a vivid memory and yet so confusing. It was like several…ah…memories.” She helped him lay over the bed but he didn’t stop telling her about it while she ran to grab the thermometer and medicine from the bathroom.

“I think my memories are coming back. It’s coming back Areum it’s...”

“Shush!” she tried to calm him down and sat beside him on the bed.

“My memory, my past, it’s coming back!” he smiled in pain like a little kid and she caressed his sweaty and yet cold face.

“You are sick now. Let’s focus on getting you better and then we can think about what all that meant. I’m calling a doctor to check on you! You are burning!”

She stood up to call for help and Jinki closed his eyes ignoring the pain in his head or how he couldn’t stop shivering.

He knew what all that meant.

Once he remembered everything, he would be able to finally understand what happened, why he couldn’t forget that damn accident that haunted him every night.

There was something he was supposed to remember, something his brain was hiding from him and he was sure it would become all clear very soon.

 

6ga3j8.jpg

 

“This wasn't the day he had planned. He fought to open the door of his car but let the key fall on the ground.” Audrey read from the book in her hand, one of many Jonghyun’s crime novels.

Kibum’s loud yawn made her stop and move her eyes away from the book.  She frowned and he raised his hand in the air.

“Can you stop reading please? I’m bored to death!”

“Excuse me? It’s one of Jonghyun’s novels.”

“And? Just cos he is my friend it doesn’t mean I have to like what he writes. I think my brain cells will start to enter a coma soon out of boredom!”

Audrey raised the book and hit him with it, trying to be careful to not target a part of his body that was hurt.

Kibum chuckled with her reaction and then patted the spot in the bed next to his. “Sit here!”

She pouted her lips and frowned trying to read his intentions. ”What? Why? Want me to read from there?”

He released a deep sigh and grabbed the book from her hand before he threw it away. “No reading. I want to make out!”

“Are you crazy?!” The idea pleased her though since she immediately become as red as the cover of the book “You are still recovering!”

“Exactly I’m sick and yet you are trying to kill me with boredom.”

“It’s an interesting book!” Areum liked it very much.

“It might be but right now my body and brain need another kind of stimulation, the kissing kind.”

Audrey pursed her lips and frowned. Kibum was more surprising than she could ever imagine and he didn’t seem to have any shame asking her to have skinship with him.

He tried to lean forward and kiss her since she was distracted but Audrey stepped back making him groan frustrated.

“Don’t you like to kiss me Audrey? You always tried to seduce me before!”

“WHAT?” she crossed her arms in front of her chest “I never seduced you and no kissing until I understand us.”

It was his time to look at her puzzled. Audrey was way more interesting than any book Jonghyun or anyone ever wrote. He loved to , to provoke her, to see her reaction to it.

“What do you mean?”

“What are we? I mean, you said you loved me before and you asked me to stay beside you. So are we dating?”

He leaned back on the bed and stretched his arms over his head lazily. “Labeling it is not important.”

“Yes it is!” She insisted. “You always avoid it. I know you!”

He rolled his eyes even though he knew she was right, but he didn’t see why he needed to give a name to what they had together. “We are a duo.”

Kibum quickly grabbed her by her wrist and pulled her to him. Audrey gasped with the sudden attack and he managed to kiss her until she pushed him away.

“You are impossible! So infuriating!” He complained “Why are you so hard to kiss?!”

“It’s all your fault!” this time she kept further away from the bed eyeing him as if he was the enemy. “I really want to kiss you and make out with you but…” he wasn’t the only one that thought of her until he fell unconscious, he was also the one in her mind every night before she closed her eyes “You never admit to what you feel and I’m scared.”

“Audrey…” his expression softened and he stretched his hand for her to grab which she did immediately loving that gesture more than when he stole a kiss from her. “I want to kiss you so badly, to hug you and have with you. I’m carving your attention 24/7 like a fool. Isn’t that enough for you?”

She hesitated because she still wanted a full confession even though that sounded like music to her ears.

“Kibummie is sick, come here…hum?!” he pouted cutely doing aegyo and she tried to push him away giggling.

“Your aegyo is disgusting!”

“It’s not! I’m cute!”

He was cute for sure but far more deadly when he tried to seduce her and he knew it because his approach changed drastically, his voice becoming deeper. “Come here, lay beside me, and let me love you.”

“You are sick…” Audrey mumbled trying to be reasonable but doing as he said and walking around the bed to sit on the other side.

“I’ll become sicker if I don’t touch you!” Kibum exclaimed making her giggle “Help a sick man!”

Audrey placed a hand beside him on the bed smiling teasingly. She could also play that game if she wanted to.  “You could call someone else to help you like….”

He frowned not amused probably thinking that she would say Gi and Audrey bit her tongue.

“…Soul. I heard you slept with her before.”

He seemed relieved that she didn’t mention his friend “Yes I did. I slept with her while I was thinking about someone else, someone that was making a mess out of my life so I thought I was in need of . “

Audrey sat beside him eyeing him intently and he moved closer to her in the bed.

“And?”

“And…” he his lips and she raised her hand to caress his head avoiding touching the white bandage around it “It wasn’t . There was only a person I wanted and having with other women wouldn’t help so I came back and gave her a present.”

His eyes moved to the bracelet he gave her and she never dared to take off “And ended up sleeping with her, the one I truly wanted.”

Audrey smiled shyly looking away from him and he leaned forward looking at her not letting her tear her gaze away from him for long.

“And who is that person?”

She was smart, too smart for his own good and Kibum chuckled surprised with her wittiness. She made it so that he was going to confess to her. It wasn’t a directly I love you but it was once again closer to it.

“Damn you are good!”

“There is a reason almighty Kibum loves me.”

“Yes…”

“YES?” She widened her eyes raising a finger to point at him “you just said it again! You love me!”

“Aigo!” He shook his head laughing. Playing with her was way more fun than any book ever.

“Who is this person Kibum! Tell me!”

“You know it’s you so why are you even asking?”

Audrey bit her lower lip cutely and grinned at him before she laid by his side slowly, her eyes never leaving his.

“I’m all yours!”

“Damn…don’t say it like that. It makes me go nuts!” He leaned over her and Audrey held her breath.

It was a while since the last time they were that close, since she saw him over her, ready to kiss her.  He touched her cheek carefully tracing her soft skin and down to her lips where he pressed his thumb admiring the red on it.

She had beautiful red lips all the time and he loved it. At first they were like a very tempting fruit that he felt like he had to avoid but now, now he only wanted it more than anything else and he couldn’t find one single reason why he couldn’t kiss her.

“Kibum?” She asked touching his temple “Does your head hurt again?”

The only thing that hurt was the ache he felt inside his heart, and the only one that could ease that pain away was her.

Kibum thought he would never see her again let alone have her in his arms or kiss her.

“No. I’m fine. Now I’m perfectly fine.” He answered before he kissed her and Audrey wrapped her arms around him, hugging him tightly, giving back to him the medicine he needed more than anything.

 

6ga3j8.jpg

 

Taemin’s days moved slowly while he kept watch, from above the rooftop of a close by building, hiding in the shadows, memorizing all the routines of his target. It was important to know him well before he made a move to kill him.

He didn’t want the kid or Mina to see it so he was trying to find a pattern, a moment when neither of them were home, and he realized that even though her brother was discharged from the hospital, Mina still took him for a checkup at the hospital every day.

That was his cue, the time he had to enter the house kill the several thugs working for him and then finally his revenge time.

He would take care of the bodies so Mina and the kid wouldn’t find them once they arrived and he needed to keep it the cleanest as possible.

Not that man. To that man he prepared a special and slow death. He wanted him to suffer, to beg for mercy to bleed slowly until his last breath.

Taemin grabbed a small chocolate from the pocket of his jacket, remembering how Minho often did that, and he ate it, watching a taxi park in front of the house.

A woman came out from it with a kid. While the kid walked quickly inside with his shoulders a little downcast the woman paid the taxi driver and turned around placing the wallet inside her bag.

Taemin tilted his head watching Mina. That was the highest moments of his days, when he could see her either leaving or arriving to the house.

Surprisingly she didn’t leave the house much. Besides taking her brother to the hospital or going to college she spent her days inside her bedroom listening to music. He knew it because he could see her through the window of her bedroom. He could also listen to it since he used a moment where no one was home to place bugs around the house and cameras. He didn’t place any camera in her bedroom, he wasn’t able to disrespect her privacy but he did place a microphone to hear her.

Mina left sometimes to buy groceries, for herself and her brother - her relationship with her father was almost inexistent apparently – and at night she often visited a grandma she helped a few streets away, the place he met her for the first time.

Knowing those small facts about Mina, hearing her argue with her father only made him fall deeper in love with her. Once that awful man hit her and Taemin almost lost his mind and left his hideout but apparently Mina was able to defend herself and hid in her brother's bedroom with him. That was the hardest moment for Taemin, not being able to do anything and just watch it.

The taxi drove down the road and she walked to the house only to stop at the door, her eyes suddenly moving to where he was hiding, making him hide further down behind the wall of the rooftop.

Taemin widened his eyes wondering if she saw him, his heart beating faster. He grabbed a mirror from his pocket and placed it in a way that he could see her image in it. She was looking in his direction and Taemin sighed admiring her.

She was so beautiful, like a figure of an old mysterious portrait. He let his feelings rule for a while admiring her and even though he was sure she couldn’t see him his heart was beating faster.

It was funny how such a fragile human being was able to scare him more than anything ever did.

She didn’t move still eyeing the building as if she was suspicious, as if she felt him somehow and he smiled softly.

She knew. She knew she was being watched, probably she didn’t know by whom but she had a feeling. He did say he would do something that would hurt her so she was probably suspicious now, full alert.

Who was Mina?! Who was she truly?!

The weird girl he fell in love with or the mistreated rebellious daughter of a drug dealer?

She entered the building and he sighed of relief cleaning the sweat off of his temple.

Taemin stretched his legs in front of him and hid the mirror inside his pocket.

That was the mission of his life.

The hardest one he will ever have.

Maybe the last.

 

6ga3j8.jpg

The doctor checked Jinki’s eyes with a small light under Areum’s anxious gaze.

She was the one who barged into Sooman’s office and asked him – more like demanded – for him to call a doctor. Luckily they had one inside the secret laboratory downstairs and he came quickly and examined him “So? How is he?”  

“Well he doesn’t seem to have a fever.”

Areum exchanged a confused look with Sooman that was also in the room.

“Can’t be! I mean, he was burning and sweating and he seemed confused, delirious maybe.”

“I wasn’t delirious! My head hurt a lot and…”

“You had a fever. I touched your forehead and you were burning.” She insisted turning to the doctor “can’t you check again!”

Jinki couldn’t believe her but Areum wasn’t even looking at him.

“Well I’m a doctor and I can tell you with 100% certainty that it wasn’t a fever, not one caused by a sickness.”

“Then what was it?”

“I’m still here Areum, I’m not a kid!” Jinki tried to speak but she placed a hand on his shoulder to ask him to be quiet.

“Well he says he remembered several memories from his past which made his heart hurt. Extreme pain could have caused the sudden raise in temperature and the delirious way he was speaking. I think his body was temporarily affected by the mental pain he was suffering.”

“So the fever was that.”

“Probably. The sudden headache he was experiencing, nightmares every night and sometimes even nausea and confusion. Normally memories come back after something that triggers them, some words, a place and event sometimes even a smell. That caused some memories to come back and the intensity sometimes is too much for the body.”

“I see.”

I love you daddy.” Jinki mumbled and Areum bit her lower lip remembering how she said that to her father before he collapsed. He was probably listening to them and that somehow made him remember something.

“Why are they coming back though?” Jinki asked. “I spent years without remembering anything.”

What was different now?!

“Forgetting is a defense mechanism we have against big traumas. Kids often chose to forget, it’s the only way they can cope with it. I think that maybe you are no longer afraid of what happened. Maybe now that you are building a family that you want to be a father you aren’t scared to think about your own family anymore, about your own father.”

It made sense to him, he now had Areum and lately he was so busy thinking about the kind of father he wanted to be.

She smiled sweetly at him and caressed his hair as if he was a sick kid. It was all thanks to her, to her love. Now that she was truly his wife, now that she was his family and he was sure soon a baby would come, he was no longer afraid. He needed to be brave.

“I want to remember everything.” He said facing her and then he turned to the front, his eyes settling in Sooman that watched the scene strangely quiet. “All of it.”

“I’m sure you will” Areum replied.

“Now, if you excuse me, I have another patient to take care of which also has a beautiful nurse.”

“Audrey!” Areum giggled. Of course, that’s why the doctor didn’t leave the headquarters. Kibum was still recovering and needed daily checkups.

The doctor left the room and Areum moved around the bedroom closing the curtains of it and once Jinki tried to stand up she pushed him down “I don’t care if you don’t have a fever, you should still get that brain to rest!” She didn’t leave him a chance to argue “You almost died a few days ago and now this. Just sleep a little bit ok? No fighting! No missions! No saving lives!”

She said the last part looking at Sooman that smiled raising his hands, his palms turned to her.

“Ok by me.”

“I’ll behave!” Jinki’s words made her relax.

“You will!” Areum said dangerously “I will kick your if you don’t!”

She fixed his pillow and was mumbling about picking up something for him to eat before he slept when Jinki grabbed her hand to make her stop.

“Areum, can you please leave us alone for a few minutes. I need to speak to…my father.”

She nodded her head finally realizing that she was in the way and that there was a reason Sooman was still there and in silence. “Of course!”

She pulled the covers around him making him giggle and then turned to the door, leaving them alone.

Jinki sat straight on the bed, ruining Areum’s previous work and the older man approached the bed and sat beside him.

“I saw my dad, my real dad.”

“That’s a good thing Jinki.”

“I’m recovering more and more of my memories.” Jinki added.

“Anything in particular that you want to discuss with me?”

It wasn’t usual for Jinki to see his adoptive father being so serious or going straight to the point so he was for sure expecting that that day would come.

“The stars! I remember you telling Mi Jung that her mother was a star. My father said the same thing to me when my grandma died.”

Sooman smiled “It’s a common for people to say but in this case your father was my best friend and he was the one who told me that when my wife died and I passed it to Mi Jung. It was comforting to know that somewhere in the sky she was looking down at us. It’s not the reality but when you are a kid, when you dare to dream it’s a good thing to believe.”

Jinki his dry lips and grasped the covers “He made me promise. My dad, I mean. He was the one who made me promise that I would never let go of her hand.”

Sooman watched Jinki carefully “Whose hand?”

“My mother’s.”

“Oh.” Sooman looked at his hands on his lap “Did you remember the accident?”

“Parts of it. I remember…I’m not sure.” Jinki frowned, his head hurting slightly. The doctor was right. All the symptoms he was having where all due to his memories coming back. “There is something that doesn’t fit.”

“What doesn’t?”

Jinki wasn’t sure but something truly was missing from his memory, as if a part of it that was erased or covered with something else. “Why couldn’t I grab my mother’s hand? I stretched my hand and yet…” He touched his temple frowning in pain and Sooman caressed his arm.

“Don’t force yourself, your wife will kill me.”

That made Jinki smile and he gave up on remembering, at least for now. “Maybe you could tell me what happened.”

Sooman cleared his throat and softly spoke to Jinki “I could. Through all these years I could have told you all you wanted to know about your parents but you never asked and I learned that it wasn’t a good thing to force you when you didn’t want to remember.”

Jinki knew he was right. Every time Sooman tried to mention his parents in the past he always found an excuse to not hear it. He didn’t even visit the place they were buried yet. His curiosity was only back when he started to remember more about his nightmare of the accident.

“Even now Jinki, even now I think I shouldn’t tell you my version of the accident because I might influence your real memories, because you aren’t ready. When you are, I’m sure you will remember and I will be here to answer all the questions you might have about it.”

The old man placed his hand over Jinki, one that was under the cover. “Memories can be very painful and that one in particular traumatized you, ruined your childhood and is the one to blame when it comes to most of your deepest fears. Like letting go of the hand of someone you love, not being able to protect that person, to protect Taemin or Areum…”

He was right, like always. He wouldn’t be able to live if anything happened to someone he truly loved. He couldn’t lose again. He would rather die protecting that person than losing again.

“There is a strong sense of protection inside you, for everyone you love. There is a reason Taemin left you out from his revenge plan. He knew he could lose you, that you would take a bullet for him without any hesitation. But we can’t protect everyone we love Jinki. Sometimes we fail. We are all human after all.”

Mentioning Taemin made Jinki’s emotions overflow. He was hiding from Areum and everyone how his departure affected him. Areum thought it was in part because the subject of revenge was back again but it wasn’t that at all. He couldn’t bear to know that Taemin was alone again, that he was somewhere hurt and he couldn’t help him. He was supposed to be with him, he was his hyung.

“I failed. I failed so much too!” Sooman patted Jinki’s hand noticing how the younger man’s eyes were getting wet “I wasn’t able to save my wife, I wasn’t able to save my best friend. But I did what he asked. I obeyed to his and your mother’s last wishes. That was my way of protecting them.”

“Their last wishes?”

“Yes to protect you. Your mother asked me to educate you as my son if anything happened. To try and teach you to be humble and generous. It was always her wish that you would be like you father. And he wanted you to be a part of the SM family and I fulfilled that wish too. I never wanted you to actively take part of the missions. I’m weak too and since the beginning I wanted you to be like Mi Jung. I wanted to protect you. But I couldn’t really stop you since it was your wish to be an agent just like you father.”

The old man laughed rubbing his eyes slightly and Jinki wondered if he wasn’t the only one overflowing in emotions.

“It’s funny that we are having this conversation now. I always expected to tell you this when you were a little boy. You are so much like your father.”

“Did they ask you more?”

Jinki’s curiosity pleased the old man even though it was a delicate matter.

“There is more but in time you will know. To fulfill their wishes I did something for what I will never forgive myself doing. But we do the craziest things in the name of the ones we love. I think you learned that already.” Sooman rubbed his hands over his lap “But since we are opening up to it shall I answer some questions about your parents? Something special you want to know about them?”

Jinki had no idea what to ask. He never truly thought about his parents much. He knew their names and the things he searched about whom they were but not much more. He didn’t know what they liked, if they had dreams of their own, what kind of music they liked to listen to or what their biggest flaw was. He had no idea.

“Hum…” He closed his eyes thinking, the image of Areum hugging her dad coming to his memory. Sometimes she talked about her mother and how she had a perfume she loved, that she liked to sing in the shower and how she had an awful habit of falling asleep when she watched tv on the couch with Areum and her father. These were small things and yet they were the kind of things Jinki wanted to know and he doubted Sooman would know.

He couldn’t wait for his memories to come back, maybe just maybe, he could also be able to remember the scent of his mother like he did of his father.

“What kind of music they liked, I mean my father?” he decided to start from there and Sooman raised his eyes thinking.

“Ah he was an amazing singer. He liked to sing trot so he often listened to it which made your mother insane.”

“Really?”

It was adorable and Jinki couldn’t stop smiling.

“Oh yes. It’s no wonder you can sing trot well too.” Jinki laughed with that comment because it was true “Your mother loved classical music, she loved the sound of the violin.”

“Oh.”

“That’s probably why you fell in love with music Jinki, with piano. At least I like to think that.”

Jinki realized that all that time that he tried so hard to forget, Sooman tried hard not to, finding similarities between Jinki and his parents while he was growing up.

“Tell me more please. What were my mother’s hobbies?”

“She liked to cook. She was really good. Not Korean food though. She was awful at it which made your dad complain. He couldn’t understand why she was so bad.” Sooman chuckled “Ah your dad loved baseball. Anything else?”

Jinki’s eyes moved around the bedroom and fell on the magazine Areum was reading about babies and pregnancy. She said that if she truly immersed herself in the subject than maybe the process would be quicker. That made zero sense for him but he found it cute to see her fangirl over baby pics, it made him warm inside.

“Was I a mistake?”

After the argument they had before about Bora and Mi Jung being a mistake that question didn’t surprise Sooman.

“I’m not sure but whatever the case was I’m sure they never regretted it.”

“I wonder if my mother wanted a boy or a girl.”

“I wouldn’t worry about that. I’m sure she was happy with the blessing God gave her. She couldn’t wish for mere.”

Jinki was running out of things to ask, maybe later after he rested he would be able to remember more.

“Your mother was proud of you and your father always said you were the sweetest kid. You were a clumsy kid and you got hurt a lot thanks to that but you would always smile easily. In the end your biggest weapon was your sweet heart.”

Sooman grasped Jinki’s shoulder affectionately and stood up from the bed hiding his eyes from Jinki that could see him clean them.

“I’m turning soft.”

Sooman wasn’t truly his father but Jinki had genuine feelings for him. “Thank you. I never said it before but I know that my father was special to you and that was the reason you adopted me and always patiently cared for me and gave me all and much more I could ever desire. Thank you.”

Sooman turned around with red eyes “No you are wrong. I didn’t do it only for your father. I knew you Jinki and I loved you as if you were my son. You came here way before you parents died. You were smaller than Bora and you were in your mother’s arms.” The old man sniffed smiling softly with the memories “Mi Jung can’t remember but you didn’t meet for the first time after the accident. You met before, when your parents were still alive, when her mother was alive.”

And now he was the only one that still remembered that encounter. What a bittersweet feeling.

“It must be a beautiful memory.” Jinki believed.

It made him happy too, that sometime in the past his parents and Mi Jung’s parents were alive, laughing, showing theirs kids to each other with no worries.

If he could he would want his kid to play with Bora someday too.

 

6ga3j8.jpg

 

Areum yawned bored watching Audrey and Kibum bickering. She was pretty sure that they were ually frustrated and eager to fall on each other’s arms.

Audrey was stubbornly positioning Kibum’s pillow so he could sleep but he kept sitting up.

“You need to sleep now. You took your medicine and now it’s time to sleep.”

“No I want to get out of this bed. I’m becoming a mummy here.”

Audrey placed her hands on her waist which made Areum widen her eyes. She never did that, only when she was mimicking Areum’s bossy nature that would come out once in a while.

If Audrey thought she could boss over Kibum – Kibum on top of everything- then that meant something big must have happened between them.

“You are going to sleep now! No arguing!” Audrey ordered mastering her bossiest voice.

“I told you, if I rest more I will get into a coma again!”

Audrey almost screamed at him, her face becoming red and Areum stepped back trying to disappear. It wasn’t hard since they seemed to have forgotten she was in the room.

“If you dare to even mention that word again I’m going to punch you!”

“I was the one who taught you to punch! I think I can manage to defend myself!” He sat up again but Audrey pushed him down again.

Kibum laughed out loud in a way that Areum never saw and he grabbed Audrey’s hand kissing it as if she was a princess.

It worked because Audrey froze melting with the gesture which made Areum smile.

She deserved that, the romance, the weak on your knees, the butterflies, the shiver in your spine. She deserved to love and be loved.  Her sister was growing up.

“Ow!” Areum mumbled making Audrey look at her with a blush on her cheeks, the distraction being enough for Kibum to manage to stand up from the bed.

“Help me here!” He asked Areum while Audrey threw a tantrum repeating over and over again how he was in a coma, how he lost a lot of blood, how he suffered a head trauma, how his leg was still hurt, all the words he completely ignored.

Areum stepped to help him stand properly but Audrey sent her an angry look making her hesitate.

“Darn it, just help me Audrey! It’s been days! My back hurts from being in bed all the time.”

“That’s a lie, you go to the bathroom!” Audrey mumbled grabbing his arm to help him walk. Areum did the same and both women helped him reach the wheelchair that Jonghyun brought to the room hours before due to Kibum’s request.

“Wow what a joyful moment of my day that is! Peeing is freedom now!” Kibum said falling on the chair with a sigh of relief. “I truly need to start moving from that bed. I must start to walk properly soon. I have places I need to go. Your family to find!”

“Nice! I approve!” Areum cheered but Audrey frowned like a little girl with a lot of aegyo.

Something also new that Areum liked.

“I don’t! Your health is way more important than any information about my family.”

“What if you a have a lost aunt or uncle?” Kibum suggested.

“Or maybe a grandma or a brother!” Areum added.

“Or maybe your parents are alive!”

“Aish!” Audrey seemed bothered with their guesses “You two need to stop! Don’t give me false hopes! My parents died! That was the reason I end up in that orphanage. Even if I have family they never searched for me before!”

“Maybe they didn’t know where to search.” Areum said sadly “Don’t lose hope Audrey. Maybe somewhere there is someone sharing your blood, also desperately searching for you.”

Audrey bit her lower lip and Kibum cleared his throat.

“Well we will see. First thing is finding out who visited you at the orphanage. That’s our best lead.” He said touching Audrey’s fingers that were on the side of his chair.   

Audrey leaned over him and buttoned the button on his pajama shirt while he watched her intensely. “It’s cold outside, you need a blanket.” They shared a very intimate gaze and Areum awkwardly stepped back. It was her time to go.

“Ok I have to go see what’s for dinner. Jinki must have woken up and he must be hungry. Bye!”

She almost ran away from the bedroom so she could leave them alone and Kibum giggled mischievously before he pulled Audrey to his lap.

She immediately wrapped her arms around his neck although she asked if she was hurting him.

He shook his head and she caressed his neck looking into his eyes.

It was becoming more and more natural to do skinship with him and being around him lately was dangerous, so dangerous that she was afraid to lose her mind and sleep with him.

He didn’t say anything and raised his eyebrows trying to read her eyes which made Audrey hug him, hiding her face in his neck. He smelled like the sheets of his bed and the lotion she would use to smooth his skin on the places he had wounds. It was one of the favorite moments of her day, when she had an excuse to touch him more intimately. It was actually a very sensual experience to her since he barely said anything watching her carefully until she felt herself burn which seemed to amuse him.

Kim Kibum was a tease and was making her desperate for his love.

Audrey closed her eyes inhaling that mix of scents that made him the person she loved.

“Audrey“ he said softly placing a hand on her back “Whatever I find out about your past you must promise me that you won’t let it break you.”

She moved away from his embrace and faced him. He wasn’t teasing her or joking anymore.

“What do you mean?”

“The first time I heard your name was during a mission. We just found out about who succeeded Professor’s Han on the Aeon project and your name was mentioned. Someone suggested seducing you…” She frowned and he placed his thumb on the small wrinkles in the middle of her eyes “But we didn’t do it because Jonghyun forbade us to.”

“I would have killed you.” The idea of the same that happened to Areum happening to her angered her very much. She wasn’t like Areum, she wasn’t that forgiving. Although Jinki didn’t truly seduce Areum only for a mission, he had feelings for her.

“Listen,” Kibum asked taking his thumb away from her skin “Jonghyun forbade us for a reason. He knew your name. Sooman mentioned it to him before. You were off limits. We couldn’t hurt you in any way.”

“What does that mean?...Wait…He knows something!”

“Definitely! And the way he reacted when you arrived. I had the feeling he knew you somehow.”

“Maybe I should confront him.” She suggested.

“No. Not yet. I know the old man. If he didn’t tell you anything yet or even Jonghyun than it’s better not to push it. It’s not the right time.”

“Then Jonghyun.”

“I could corner him but he is the most loyal guy I ever met, well after Minho. He won’t tell it ever. He won’t betray him.”

That didn’t leave them with many ways out and Kibum could see her disappointment.

“I’ll find something. I’m sure I will. So promise me that whatever we find out you won’t...” he stuttered not sure how to say it “You know…cry. I don’t like to see you cry.”

Kibum, her favorite tease was also adorable.

“I promise. I’ll survive it. I did all these years and I have Areum and you now. You will protect me, right?”

Kibum chuckled “I’m not even sure if you need any protection!”

“I’m awesome!” She said moving her legs like a little girl and Kibum agreed with her.

He didn’t roll his eyes or laughed at her, instead he agreed with her.

“You are truly awesome!” He touched her cheek “You built a freaking time machine. It can destroy the world yes but damn, you are a genius!”

“Why do I have the feeling that you are making fun of me?”

He laughed at her confusion and pulled her in for a kiss.

Would she ever get used to that?! She didn’t want to though. The warm feeling she felt inside every time he touched her or his lips pressed hers was too good to be common.

“I completely fell for you. The bringer of doom.”

Audrey ignored his words and caressed his chest over his pajama “Are we dating? I mean…we kissed so much these last days that I even lost count.”

“You aren’t supposed to count them.”

“Kibum…”

She couldn’t live in the uncertainty anymore; she was after all a scientist. She needed to know.

“Well I never truly dated someone. There were several girls I dated for some weeks and Gi but we weren’t a normal couple.”

Audrey wasn’t even blinking waiting for his answer and Kibum sighed.

There was no way anymore. He couldn’t fight it anymore. It was the toughest and biggest fight he ever had to go through.

Love was always the most complicated thing ever for him.

Loving Gi was a complete mess that turned his life upside down and then Audrey showed up, just when he decided to close his heart and once again she turned everything again.

He was no longer upside down. It all made sense again and loving her wasn’t painful. It was easy and made him feel good, made him want to laugh, to take her to Paris, to take pictures of her.

Oh he wanted it so much. No palace, work of art, or beautiful wonder of nature could compare to the way she shined to him.

“Yes.” No point in fighting anymore. It was a lost battle since the start. “We are dating Lee Audrey.”

He wished he could memorize that moment forever, the way her lips parted and she slowly smiled as if she was afraid to truly believe it.

He couldn’t blame her. Life was too cruel for her, giving her false hopes of being loved every time she changed to another foster family.

However this time she truly believed and she offered him one of her radiant smiles.

So beautiful that he couldn’t help it and nuzzle his nose against hers making her giggle.

“Want to go for a walk with me?” Kibum asked “Well…more like a ride. And I will need some help pushing me! Damn this leg!” He was talking too much and too fast, avoiding looking too much at her so she wouldn’t notice his blushed cheeks.

Why did he even try to pretend that he didn’t love her at all?!

Sometimes he wasn’t that almighty at all.

 

6ga3j8.jpg

 

Jinki hummed closing his eyes a pleased smile on his face.

The sheets of his bed moved and Areum came out from under them with her hair all tousled and giggled.

“I swear that my just cried of happiness right now!”

“It wasn’t the only one crying.” Jinki laughed rubbing his sweaty forehead while she resumed her journey up his body, kissing every inch.

“Damn you are amazing Areum!” He closed his eyes sighing satisfied and she let herself fall motionless over him, moving her fingers on his chest.

They were sweaty and panting and yet Areum didn’t stop there, delivering butterfly kisses all over his chest under her.

He opened his eyes and giggled until she found her way up to his lips.

It was a slow lazy kiss and Jinki brushed her hair away so he could look at her face and touch her dimples.

“We are truly on a honeymoon.”

“It would be perfect if we were in Thailand and you weren’t all…” she ran her hand on his red skin “Bruised.”

She would never let Thailand go and Jinki couldn’t blame her. Instead of asking her once again to forgive him he tried a different approach. He frowned cutely as if he was in pain.

“It still hurts, I could have fractured my ribs. My love for you was what saved me. I was lucky!”

She pinched his chest making him complain “Stop being cheesy. What saved you was Minho and yes pure luck! My luck! Cos I would die if I lost you.”

He groaned pulling her away and sat on the bed.

She watched him confused. Areum was hoping that they would stay in bed for a while cuddling but something she said seemed to upset him.

“Don’t talk about death as if it’s nothing.”

“It’s a joke Jinki.”

“It’s not a joke!” He grabbed his clothes from the floor and pulled his underwear and pants up his legs. “Losing you and…”

“Taemin! I get it! I’m sorry!”

She should have known better. He was with her there, having and kissing her and yet when it was all over his mind would go back to Taemin.

“Sometimes I feel like you are cheating on me with him!”

“Areum…”

“I’m kidding!”

He smiled and she stood up to help him button up his shirt.

“Where are you going?”

“Get dressed!” Jinki fixed the collar of his shirt “We need to get out once in a while or everyone will get suspicious!”

He cleaned his forehead again, fighting the heat of his body.

“That we are having ?” Areum asked sitting on the bed to put on her socks. “It’s not exactly a secret!”

He sighed running a hand in his hair and giggling because she looked awful, with her hair a total mess. No wonder, after what she did to him under the covers he went nuts and tousled her air.

“Let me just...” He combed her hair with his fingers while Areum fought to get dressed.

“I mean, how many times we did it today?” She raised two fingers “Two?”

“Three! One in the morning.” He finished combing her hair and Areum stood up ready to go too. “However I’m not sure how many times this one counts!”

She giggled and he raised an open hand. “Five?”

“Seven!” She couldn’t stop giggling and he pulled her for a hug.

“That’s impossible! That’s too much!”

“It feels like ten times!”

He pulled her outside and they stepped into the corridor kissing.

They were like two crazy teenagers in love and Jinki didn’t even mind if anyone saw them.

“We should go out on a date!” Jinki whispered and she nodded happily.

“Can we do that?”

For her he was sure he could do anything. Sooman was right. For the ones he loved he would do anything.

He was going to push her against the wall for a more heated kiss when they heard the noise downstairs.

 
6ga3j8.jpg

Jinki and Areum joined the crowd downstairs.

Minho was at the entrance of the mansion with a scared woman behind him. She was beautiful, with pouty lips, a perfect oval face like a doll and black short hair but her clothes were dirty and wet, smudged with blood and she was trembling too much, wearing Minho’s coat.

Director Oh was there of course and Lee Sooman and Jonghyun too. And as soon as Areum and Jinki approached the confusion Areum noticed that Audrey was pushing Kibum wheelchair in their direction.

“You should at least let me explain!” Minho said gravely his eyes on Sooman and Jonghyun. He knew that Director Oh would never believe him whatever he said.

“What can you explain? You brought an enemy inside the mansion.”

“She needs protection and she isn’t an enemy she was my contact inside Dokko!”

“Exactly!” Director Oh turned to Lee Sooman “I told you. I told you that it was him!”

Minho raised his eyebrows distressed realizing what Director Oh intended to do. “You think I am the mole!”

“I don’t think! I’m sure of it! You sabotaged all of our missions; you put your fellow agents in danger!”

“Are you insane?” He was livid “I could have died too! That makes no sense! How could I…” Minho’s words died on his lips when his gaze moved from Jinki to Kibum.

He did everything he could to save them. He would never put them in danger.

“Can you explain why this woman is here then?” Director Oh asked.

“I told you already! She was my connection inside Dokko. She helped me before. She even gave me the antidote necessary to save Jinki years ago!”

“I knew it!” Jonghyun mumbled and Minho wasn’t sure if he was talking about the antidote or about him being the mole. No, his best friend couldn’t believe that ridiculous lie.

“She risked her life to help us. I can’t simply let her be in danger and this is the safest place. Just for a while until I can relocate her.”

Ilana moved slightly still holding his jacket and she eyed the door. She would never be able to run away from that place and apparently being with Minho revealed to not be safe at all.

“She is scared and maybe hurt!” Areum interrupted “Maybe we can discuss this after she is treated, right?” She tried to reach to help the poor girl but Jinki stopped her.

“She works at Dokko?” He asked “She was the one who got the medicine necessary to save me?”

“Yes! Yes! Without her help we wouldn’t have saved you! She is a good person!”

Director Oh scoffed “For god’s sake! We don’t know if what he is saying is true. He was lying to us all the time. Of course he brought the antidote. He works for them!”

“Doesn’t matter who she is right now.” Areum grabbed the woman and she released Minho reluctantly. “I’m going to take you to the infirmary.”

Even though she seemed determined Areum glanced at Jinki for his opinion and he nodded.

“I’ll go with you!” Audrey offered “I will help you.” It was better if she wasn’t there too. That matter was team related.

The three women walked away and Jonghyun signaled one of the agents at the door to follow them just in case.

Now they were all alone and yet nothing seemed to change, everyone was watching Minho’s every move and he was in panic and anger.

They were his teammates, his family and yet no one trusted him. No one ever did.

Director Oh crossed her arms “Why don’t you simply confess it. It would be easier.”

“There is nothing to confess. Yes I should have told everyone about what I was doing. But I’m not the mole. Taemin knows it, I told him years ago.”

“How convenient that he isn’t here right!? He left the team!” Director Oh said it as if he was a traitor and Minho groaned. He never wanted to hit someone as much as he wanted to hit her. He was blind with hatred. “He is the mole!” She turned to Sooman waiting for him to make his decision.

A group of agents entered the room and Director Oh singled for them to surround Minho, ready to grab him if he tried to run away but he didn’t move.

He had nothing to hide. He wasn’t the one they were looking for.

“No this isn’t right!” Jonghyun said pushing Minho and placing himself between him and the other agents “He would never betray us. He is the most loyal person I know. He is my friend.”

“Some people are able to trick us all their life.” Director Oh hissed beside Lee Sooman that stared at Minho with a serious expression. “We should tell the board of directors. They must know and he must be judged. Give the order and we will take him downstairs.”

Minho’s pleading eyes moved to Jinki and Kibum. Why weren’t they saying anything? Did they believe it? He wasn’t a traitor or a liar.

“Why aren’t you saying anything! Damn it!” Minho exploded.

“Because this is ridiculous.” Kibum answered “these accusations are absurd. Just a way to divert us from our real enemies.”

Director Oh seemed to be taken aback with his answer and she turned to Jinki hopeful.

“And you?” There was always an awkwardness between him and Jinki and yet Minho believed that they were friends. After Thailand they were closer. “Do you think I lied to you?”

“No. You are one of us. I trust my life to you. I did that day and I would do it again.”

“See?!” Minho whined “I’m not the mole!”

“We should let the board decide. That’s the right way to do it.”

Sooman seemed pained but there wasn’t anything he could do. Minho needed to go through the board of directors; hopefully the other members would help him prove his innocence.

“Grab him!” Director Oh ordered  and after a common hesitation – Minho trained part of those agents – they moved to grab him. Jonghyun pushed some away but one grabbed Minho’s arm that showed no resistance.

“Can’t we do something about this?” Jonghyun asked incredulously “We all know he is innocent. This is complete !”

Jonghyun cursing in front of his father in law was a sign of clear desperation.

“He is my best friend! Damn he is family!” Jonghyun pleaded, his eyes on Sooman. “You made me the leader, I was in charge of taking care of the team. If anyone has to suffer the consequences then I will!”

“Jonghyun, please!” Minho grasped his shoulder, Jinki and Kibum complained, but Jonghyun made his decision already.

“No reason to.“ Sooman said “ We can hear you out after, Jonghyun.” The old man seemed tired and he was clearly suffering with that too. SHINee was the apple of his eyes. “Let him go. He can go on his own.” Sooman said gently and Minho released his arm from the forced hold.

“We should find Taemin.” Jinki said. He was the only person who could testify for Minho. He knew for a long time what he was doing “I must track him down!” He was going to leave when his gaze met Minho’s.

“I’ll be kicked out right?” Minho asked and Jinki couldn’t help but remember the desperate lonely young man that he met years ago, the one that wanted to die. However this time it was the opposite. He wanted to live; to be with his family and Jinki would do anything to help him out.

“You might or…” Sooman didn’t elaborate more but they knew what could happen to traitors.

Death was one of the endings.

Either way, if they kicked Minho out he would lose the protection he needed and with Kyung Min and half Korea wanting his head he wouldn’t last long.

“Taemin!” Jinki mumbled to himself. They needed to find him more than ever.

His team needed him.

Areum was right: the living ones were more important than the dead.

 
2gt96ip.jpg
 
I swear next one is better....or not...ill try XD
Poor Minho...T__T
Lots of Audrey x Kibum
And everyone needs Taemin. 
And im tired.
Thanks to my betareader.
And...see you soon.