You Are

All You Have To Do Is Stay

A/N: I'm sorry if there are errors. I didn't have the time to check because I have a lot of requirements in school due this week. I'll try to update on or after Seulgi's birthday. - Bluekimchi

------------------------

February knocks on Seungwan's bedroom door with urgency and bliss. The sun shines bright outside her window and the sky is ever so blue. The gloom of winter is slowly going and is being replaced with the hopeful spring. Spring is coming! But first thing's first. Her birthday. Taeyeon and Tiffany never fail to remind her of that since her return from the mountain trip with Seulgi. It's kind of annoying because they keep on talking about throwing her a party this year which she stopped doing since she turned 20. And now, it's just several years too late to be doing it again. But you know what? She actually looks forward to it this time (her birthday, not the party).

 

These days, Seungwan finds that she has a lot of reasons to be enjoying the fresh air again, to admire the flowers on shops windows and open parks alike, to smile and wave to people she sees on the street so today, instead of taking the bus, she decides to walk to Seulgi's studio. Seulgi still hasn't come back to Chorong and Bomi's place after 'running away'. But the couple is yet to give up on getting her to come home as her birthday is coming up very soon, too.

 

As Seungwan rounds on the corner street of Seulgi's studio, she catches sight of Bomi being thrown out the door, a scene no longer new to her. This must be the fourth time this week.

 

"I'm not going back until you make up with Chorong unnie. And until then, leave me alone!" Seulgi yells.

 

"Yah, Kang Seulgi, I'm your unnie!"

 

"Excuse me? My unnie doesn't fight with her wife so go away, stranger."

 

Seulgi slams the door, leaving Bomi on the porch. The older girl kicks the door frame in frustration, curses under her breath.

 

"Bomi unnie." Seungwan greets her as she walks up to the door and she jumps up, startled.

 

"Oh, Seungwan!" Bomi smiles at her. "Are you guys spending time together again?" Seungwan nods.

 

"Seulgi's teaching me how to paint because I was curious about how she does it." She mutters, smiles.

 

"That's cool." Bomi nods. The atmosphere somehow gets awkward and Bomi coughs.

 

"So, yeah. I've to go now. But I'll be back later.Tell Seulgi that, okay? You guys have fun."

 

Seungwan waits for Bomi to get in her car and drive away before she goes in the studio. She stops at the threshold upon seeing Seulgi standing there.

 

"I was waiting for you to come in." Seulgi says, defensive even though she wasn't being attacked.

 

"Bomi unnie says she'll be back later." Seungwan starts. Seulgi huffs air through . "Isn't this a bit too much? I know this isn't exactly easy for you."

 

"I'm not going back until they make up." Seulgi walks to the kitchen and Seungwan follows.

 

"Well, we kind of cleared it out that the one at fault is me-"

 

"No, it's not your fault, Seungwan. It all happened because of the choices we all made and until Bomi unnie chooses to make things right with Chorong unnie, I'm choosing to stay here."

 

Seungwan stops and thinks for a moment. There's plenty of blame to go around, that's undeniable but still, she was the one who started it and it was just a chain reaction of events. However, Seulgi looks at her like she's already made up her mind and she knows that arguing would only be pointless so she lets it go.

 

"You're being very stubborn today. Is it because you haven't had breakfast yet?" She smirks.

 

"I-" Seulgi looks for the words, doesn't find any.

 

"It's because you haven't had breakfast. C'mon." Seungwan pulls at Seulgi's hand.

 

She leads her to kitchen and makes her sit on the counter stool while she makes her food, aware that, all the while, Seulgi couldn't take her eyes off her and she, in turn, couldn't wipe that smile off her face.

 

--

 

Seulgi's hands make light and graceful across the canvass in front of her. Her eyes have a look that Seungwan has never seen before, intense and burning with concentration. The same eyes with that same look gaze at her and she's deer caught in headlights.

 

"Are you paying attention to the technique I'm showing you?" Seulgi asks, a playful smirk on her lips. "Or are you just looking at my beautiful face?"

 

Seungwan doesn't answer, purses her lips together.

 

"Omo. You were falling for me again, weren't you?" Seulgi brings one hand atop her chest, face mocking that of surprise. "What do we do?" She sighs dramatically. Seungwan bites back a laugh.

 

"Ooh, acting all cool, huh? You've learned a bit overnight, Kang Seulgi." Seungwan says, impressed.

 

"I did watch a bit of TV before going to bed last night." Seulgi says. Seungwan smiles. "Anyway, art students trip over themselves to get lessons from me and you're getting it for free so pay attention."

 

Seungwan bites back a giggle, nods but only goes back to looking at Seulgi, not at what she was doing.

 

That face. That smile. How can she ever think of pushing her away? How can she ever think of running away from her?

 

For a really long time, there was nothing in Seungwan's life except for dark clouds and rain. Rain that rendered her helpless and scared. Rain that she thought would never stop. But then the light came, Seulgi came. Seulgi who is warm like the sun. Seulgi who is like a beautiful dream except that she's real. Seulgi who is so full of hope. Seulgi who took the time to know her and who stayed even though what she saw wasn't very pretty.

 

And then, suddenly, the rain isn't about losing Joohyun. For whatever it's worth, you won't ever lose me. It's about finding Seulgi and Seulgi finding her. The rain isn't about the rain itself, it's about what happens after - the rainbow. It's a promise, a sign of brighter things to come, the things she chose to ignore and not believe in.

 

Seulgi. Kang Seulgi. Just looking at her like this makes her certain, this girl is her silver lining, her happy ending. And even though Seungwan thinks it's too early to say that the dark clouds have disappeared, she's hopeful this time that it will and when it does, it will reveal Seulgi, waiting for her under the rainbow.

 

"Aigoo, there you go again." Seulgi says, pretends to be disappointed to catch her watching again. "I really don't know what to do because you're falling for me too hard."

 

Seungwan doesn't even blink when she answers, "So maybe I am. Now, you have to take responsibility for this."

 

Seulgi inclines her head to the side, curious as to what she meant but Seungwan's hand latches on the back of her neck and she pulls her forward until their faces meet, until their lips meet, and-

 

Seungwan pulls back and giggles at the stunned look on Seulgi's face.

 

"Now look who's falling too hard," She teases.

 

--

 

It's late when Bomi comes back, as she had promised. Seulgi just finished washing up when she finds her surfing through channels in the living room.

 

"Who let you in?" She stops drying her hair with her towel and looks around to check if Seungwan was still around (she sees her in the kitchen brewing tea).

 

"I let myself in." Bomi replies in a way that suggests that Seulgi doesn't give her capabilities much credit.

 

"I changed the passcode." Seulgi frowns.

 

"You think I wouldn't figure out that your new passcode is 1111?"

 

Seulgi gasps loudly just as Seungwan walks in the room, carrying a tray. She sets the tray down on the coffee table then sits on the couch. She pulls Seulgi to sit with her too so that she's between the cousins.

 

"I'm changing it again after you leave." Seulgi says, scrunching her nose. Bomi sighs.

 

"Seul, come home with me. Don't bother thinking up new passcodes and just come home." Seulgi crosses her arms over her chest. "We're no longer fighting."

 

"No more than you're talking. I know you don't speak to each other." It's Bomi's turn to gasp, covers with one hand. Apparently, she has underestimated Seulgi's knowledge.

 

"I keep in contact with Chorong unnie." Seulgi says, which explains things. She walks away from the couch.

 

Bomi follows her. She opens to argue again but Seulgi puts a hand up to silence her.

 

"Look, Bomi unnie. The reason I don't come back is to give you and Chorong unnie the time to talk freely with each other. Don't try to get me to come home when you guys argue when I'm around." She frowns again.

 

"That was one time! And we're not fighting because of you." Bomi says in her defense.

 

"That's not the point! The point is you have to communicate with each other. You guys are married, not dating!"

 

Floored, Bomi purses her lip, thinks of a different approach but the TV is tuned in on the 10 o'clock news in 70% volume and is distracting her.

 

"On other news,"

 

"Who ing turned the volume so loud-"

 

"Kim Jongin of EXO Corp. is reported to have popped the question to girlfriend of two years, Jung Soojung, 2nd daughter of the JK group of companies."

 

Bomi is suddenly in a state of panic, fidgetting around and looking for the remote control. As opposed to Seulgi who has frozen in place.

 

"S-Seungwan, hand me the remote!"

 

"Mr. Kim-"

 

Seulgi dives for the remote first, swats it out of Seungwan's reach. Seungwan looks at her with eyes full of worry. Seulgi shakes her head at her and then turns her attention back to the news clip. As her eyes bore into the TV screen, she feels herself get lost in another world.

 

December 24th. A little over two years ago. New York City. Christmas eve dinner.

 

Seulgi sits comfortably opposite Soojung who looks blankly at her plate. She looks at her, tries her best to get her attention with a Snowman joke Bomi once told her but Soojung doesn't even blink.

 

"Soojung? What's wrong?"

 

"Seulgi..." She looks at her with an unreadable expression on her face. "I have something to tell you."

 

Seulgi grips the small box in her pocket tighter.

 

"Wait. I do too. Let me go first." She interrupts. She smiles nervously, places her hand on top of the table and pulls it back to reveal the small red box she was keeping in her pocket.

 

"Soojung-ah, you and I... we've known each other for a really long time, right? We've been through a lot together and I can never imagine what my life would have become if I haven't met you."

 

She pauses, gathers her courage.

 

"So on this night, in this very moment, I want you to know that I've never been more sure of anything than this." Seulgi takes a deep breath. "Jung Soojung, will you marry me?"

 

All of her senses blur in and out for a moment. She looks at her hands, trying to get a grip on reality. How did she come to sit on the floor? Has Bomi always been next to her? And Seungwan, why is she looking at her like she's dying?

 

"Seulgi..." Soojung looks at her with tears in her eyes. "Please don't make this any harder on the both of us."

 

She feels her whole world being shaken, on the verge of breaking down. Her hands grip the table cloth. Can she really say that she wasn't expecting this? All the nights she stayed up waiting for Soojung to come home. All the missed calls and the petty excuses.

 

"I'm sorry, Seulgi, but I can't do this anymore." Soojung finally says and that's when everything starts to fall apart.

 

"I know that you've given me everything and even gave up everything for me because you love me but... Seulgi, I'm sorry. I don't think I can ever love you as much as you love me." Soojung starts to cry. Seulgi swallows hard.

 

"Is there someone else?" She asks even though she knows. She has known for some time but she still hoped that she was wrong. "It's Jongin, isn't it?"

 

"Seulgi, I'm sorry. I'm really, really sorry."

 

"Seulgi? Seulgi!"

 

Seulgi's back in the living room of her studio, desperately trying to catch her breath. Bomi holds her by her shoulders, gently shakes her. With a sudden burst of energy, she breaks out of Bomi's hold and springs to her feet. The television is still on and the news anchor looks at them like she needs them to know more.

 

"Miss Jung's arrival at Incheon International airport, this evening-”

 

The television screen goes black (Bomi stands by the nearest socket the TV’s electric plug in her hand) and silence ensues.

 

Next thing Seulgi knows, she’s running, out the door and into the cold night.