Welcome Home

All You Have To Do Is Stay

 

"You're gonna like our new place, Seul. I promise."

 

The girl looks at the occupant in front through the rear view mirror as she's seated at the back. The girl in front is wearing that signature smile of hers, teeth and gums showing, eyes squinted, and cheeks as high as they can go. That one that makes her look like she's crying even though she's smiling.

 

"You've said that five times already, Bbom-ah." Her girlfriend, the one driving, says.

 

"But I think it's true, Rongie. My cousin's going to like it." She turns to Seulgi again, goes far to lean towards her. "We have one of those loft thingys you see in that drama!"

 

"But Bomi unnie, I don't watch dramas." It's true. Seulgi hasn't watched soap operas since she came to that place so she has no idea what she is talking about.

 

"They don't let you watch dramas there?"

 

"They do but I was banned from entering the TV room after my first day." She says shyly. 

 

"Oh." Is all Bomi says, turns to the front again.

 

"It wasn't anything bad though! I just started crying really hard because the ending of that one TV show was so y. There weren't any happy endings! You know how I am about happy endings, unnie." Seulgi leans forward, tries to convince Bomi that she's been a very good girl and that she and Chorong shouldn't worry about anything because they're already risking a lot by going behind her parents back to get her out of that place.

 

"I'm not crazy!" She feels the need to add. 

 

Chorong pulls the car over and exchanges looks with Bomi. Seulgi feels like crying now, thinks that they probably regret taking her with them. But what Chorong says calms her down instantly.

 

"Would they let you come with us if you're crazy? We know you aren't, Seulgi." Chorong smiles at her.

 

"Yeah, Seul. You're this close to being good as new." Bomi says, holds her thumb and index finger an inch apart.

 

She smiles, thinks the world could use more optimistic people like her cousin and her cousin's girlfriend. Why couldn't that place get doctors and nurses like Chorong and Bomi? If they had people like them, Seulgi's sure that their patients would get better in no time. 

 

It's a miracle that she was even able to get out. No, it's no miracle. She worked pretty hard to get out too - always taking her meds on time, paying very close attention to what her therapist says, and blocking out negativity (which was pretty hard, mind you). Doing all of that was about five times harder than if she actually had friends in that place but the only people in there were rich grandmas with Alzheimer's. Well, there's also that schizoid aunt and her friend who the nurses say had too much LSD. And that one girl who is close to Seulgi's age, younger, but she's a diagnosed anti-social and Seulgi got traumatized the first time she tried talking to her. 

 

Seulgi didn't want to think about it anymore because it's making her sad to know that all those people will be staying there indefinitely. No, they can't. They deserve a happy ending too! Everybody deserves a happy ending. Like how she's going to get hers.

 

She decides to push the thoughts of that place aside to focus on where she is now. She's really happy to be out and she's going to be living with her cousin again! Like she did in college, which wasn't very far back. Just two years ago to be exact. Things are going to be normal pretty soon, she can feel it. And her love, her one and only, would come back to her.

 

"Shall we drop by the mall first? I think we should get you some clothes." Bomi says.

 

Ah, yes. Clothes. All of her clothes are back at their family house downtown and, although she misses her parents very much, she can't just show up there to get some because they might take her back to that place the minute they see her! And she can't have that! She just got out! She's only been free for like twenty minutes. 

 

But, her cousin's right. She needs clothes because she doesn't have a lot with her, only two or three sets. Because for months, she didn't need a lot of clothes. She had to wear that white hospital gown, which she thinks could be improved by changing the color to a more cheerful one. Maybe orange?

 

"We'll load up the pantry too. Let's make it our goal to fatten up Seulgi." She hears Chorong say.

 

"Oh, that's right! You really look skinny, Seul. Let's have a feast tonight. Just us three. What do you want to eat, huh?" 

 

"Me? Uh... but I don't have money to pay for food or... or clothes." She whispers, feels useless for not having anything with her.

 

"Ey, you don't have to pay for anything when you're with us, alright?" Bomi says.

 

Seulgi couldn't stop herself. She leans forward and throws her arms around her cousin, hugs her from behind even though the car seat is between them. Chorong smiles at the sight.

 

"Can't breathe."

 

"Thank you, unnie. Thank you!"

 

"It's nothing, Seulgi. Welcome home." Bomi says, pats her on the arm lovingly.

 

--

 

Bomi and Chorong's apartment is pretty cool. And just like what Bomi said, Seulgi liked it. Very much, if she might add. It's on the 20th floor of one of the fancy towers overlooking the Han river. 

 

Seulgi always liked looking at this building from afar, especially when she goes biking with her love. She remembers how they always said they would get a unit here as soon as they finish college but a lot happened and that plan is going to have to be put on hold. But there's no need to be sad. She's happy for Bomi and she knows she's gonna get one soon, when her love comes for her.

 

"This is the one I was telling you about. In the car." Bomi's voice breaks her train of thought. She points to a fixture by the living room, an elevated platform of a sort with half walls and stairs. 

 

Seulgi just looks at it. She jumps a little, tries to see what's up there.

 

"Don't jump it. Go ahead and climb up there, silly." Bomi says. 

 

Seulgi does what she's told, reluctant at first but she soon finds herself in a small loft with a coffee table and a lot of pillows. The space was probably big enough for four people. It looks pretty comfy and she thinks that her love will like it if she comes here. She can read here and drink tea here. Seulgi smiles at the thought.

 

"You like it?"

 

"Yeah! There isn't much head room though." She replies.

 

"Well, that's because it's made for sitting. Come down now. Rongie says it's time to eat." Bomi calls, looks over her shoulder and motions for Chorong to wait for a little bit more.

 

"But I haven't seen my room yet." Seulgi says as she descends the mini loft staircase.

 

"I'll take you there later. After dinner. Just so you have something more to look forward to." Bomi replies. Seulgi thinks that sounds like a surprise and she loves surprises.

 

They head to the kitchen and, wow, Bomi wasn't lying when she said they're going to have a feast. Their dining table is so full of food! Food that Seulgi missed so much. 

 

She doesn't waste time and starts eating right away, grabs a rice bowl and chopsticks. She stops when she notices that neither of the two are eating. It bothers her.

 

"Why aren't you eating?" Seulgi asks, looks at them, worried.

 

"Sorry. We just felt really satisfied watching you for a moment." Bomi says. Seulgi looks at her carefully. Could she be crying?

 

"Really satisfied?" Seulgi repeats.

 

"Yeah, you know how parents always do that?" Chorong says, smiles at her.

 

"So, I take it you're my parents?" Seulgi asks. Bomi finally bursts into tears, hugs her girlfriend for comfort.

 

"We're just happy you're here, Seulgi. Welcome home." Chorong says in behalf of Bomi as she pacifies the crying girl.

 

--

 

"This is so fun!" Seulgi is jumping up and down on her bed with Bomi. She's laughing and for a second, she's savors the moment. It's been so long. 

 

She has to stop because Chorong pulls her down, scolds Bomi, and hands her pajamas. She pouts at her but Chorong is strict, like a mother.

 

"It's bed time for you. Wash up and take your medicines, okay?" Chorong says. "And you, you promised to help me." She says to Bomi who pouts at her too.

 

Seulgi only notices now that Chorong has this really cute voice - not as cute as her love's, but still cute. It's actually her first time meeting her as Bomi's girlfriend - she's known her since college but she never saw it coming as the two are known as the Tom and Jerry Couple for their constant bickering. 

 

Seulgi thinks that Bomi's lucky to have her because she's really nice and pretty.

 

She does what she's told because it's the least she can do after Chorong and Bomi's willingness to take her out of that place and take her in their home. They've been really kind to her and it's only right to return the favor. Her love would be so proud of her if she could see her now. She always talked about how a little kindness can change the world. And that's what Seulgi's going to do.

 

Seulgi crawls into bed after downing the pills Bomi laid out for her on the nightstand and lets Chorong tuck her under the covers. 

 

Her head hits the pillows and she starts feeling drowsy almost immediately. She lets out a yawn and sees that the two are standing by her door. She doesn't forget to say her good night to them and thanks them again.

 

"I'm sorry for the inconvenience." She adds. Bomi chuckles, wants to say it's nothing but Seulgi continues. 

 

"I promise it'll only be until my Soojung comes for me."

 

It must have been a trick of the light but she thinks she sees Bomi frown, looking like she got punched in the gut, and Chorong has to rub her back but she eventually hears Bomi say "Sure, buddy. Good night."

 

-----------------------------

A/N: Yay! First chapter is up! It's more of an introduction to the whole story so no big whoop yet. Tell me what you think of it so far, yes? Thanks for subscribing, everyone! And thank you to mikito, SNSD9sowon, and heesica10 for upvoting! 

Till the next update! :)

- Bluekimchi