Love Her To Death

All You Have To Do Is Stay

Seulgi locks herself in her room as soon as they get home, ignores the knocks on her door and calls to come out when it's time for dinner.

 

Naturally, Bomi and Chorong worry like there's no tomorrow so they end up pacing back and forth in front of her door, praying that she doesn't have thoughts of hurting herself or something worse.

 

Twenty minutes into this, Bomi throws her hands up, looks for the key to Seulgi's bedroom and threatens to come in without her permission but before she does, she turns to Chorong.

 

"Call Taeyeon unnie. We have to find out what happened between our Seulgi and their Seungwan." Bomi tells her, and she immediately gets on the task while Bomi breaks into the room.

 

--

 

Taeyeon rubs her tired eyes as she finally puts the phone down. Tiffany, who sits opposite from her, reaches for her hand and she smiles at her.

 

"Well?" Tiffany looks at her expectantly.

 

"They got her to come out by baiting her with Pringles." Taeyeon replies.

 

"That's a relief." Tiffany says, able to breathe again. "But did they figure out why she locked herself in the first place?" Taeyeon shakes her head.

 

"It's probably something Seungwan said. You know that kid. Sometimes I wonder if it's really depression that she has and not Asperger's." She sighs. Tiffany gets up from her chair and hugs her from behind.

 

"We should have bugged them. Bomi suggested that we use that spy gear she got from Ebay." Taeyeon attempts at a joke.

 

"We can't give up on her." Tiffany says soflty.

 

"Yeah, I know. I have faith in Seulgi." Taeyeon replies, getting serious.

 

"The anniversary is nearing."

 

"I'll talk to her." She assures her, pats her on the arm.

 

--

 

Seungwan leans away from her bedroom door. She sighs as she walks to her bed, sits on it.

 

It's beyond her why after all this time, the couple still hasn't given up on helping her 'get better'. She knows that they're doing it because they care about her but she personally thinks that they should stop. She's never going to move on, never going to be happy again unless she's with her wife.

 

Seungwan did believe in happy endings once upon a time but life happened and well, she learned the hard and painful way that all of those was pretty much bull.

 

She scoots over to grab the framed picture of her and her wife from the sidetable. She runs her thumb across the photo as if she's caressing her wife's face.

 

"It's almost our anniversary. Should I celebrate it at the restaurant you like so much?" She whispers. She closes her eyes and pictures her wife standing there, smiling at her, much like the way she smiled at her when they first met.

 

"Hey, Glinda The Good!"

 

That was the first thing she said to her - reference to her role in the musical the school had produced. They had met in the most unlikely of places, in the broom closet of the drama club.

 

"I-I..."

 

Seungwan couldn't get the words out. She's in such a small space with a senior she hardly greeted in the hallways, much less talked to.

 

"You're hiding from someone? It's okay. I don't mind sharing." The girl whispers, smiles at her.

 

Silence falls and Seungwan avoids the older girl's gaze, tries not to mind that she's shamelessly being watched. It's getting too awkward but Seungwan doesn't want to come out so she does the next best option, she tries to strike up a conversation.

 

"Sunbae, I don't mean to pry but-"

 

"What am I doing here when I absolutely have no business with the drama club?" The girl finishes her sentence for her, chuckles a little.

 

Her face becomes serious all of a sudden and Seungwan rethinks coming out of hiding because this girl is starting to scare her.

 

"Can you keep a secret, Glinda?" She continues, eyes sparkling. "I'm here to steal something." She puts a finger to her lips.

 

"S-sunbae! Stealing is against school rules!" She exclaims.

 

"I know. But there's one kind of stealing that's exempted to that rule." She says.

 

"What's that?"

 

Seungwan nearly screams when she puts a hand on to keep her quiet. She inclines her head to the side, tries to tell her something. Seungwan listens carefully.

 

There's a sound coming from the outside, chair legs scraping against linoleum floors, objects being moved around, and a voice, a boy's.

 

"Seungwan! Are you here? . I shouldn't have told her. Now I scared her off. You're such an idiot, Taehyun."

 

Minutes pass and they hear the door slam. The older girl puts her hand away and smiles at Seungwan.

 

"Was it him?" Seungwan purses her lips, nods. "What did he do?"

 

"He confessed his feelings for me." She blushes. The older girl breathes deeply.

 

"Oh. What a relief."

 

"Excuse me?" Seungwan squeaks.

 

"If he confessed to you and you're hiding in here with me, then that means you don't like him." The girl explains. Seungwan just looks at her, confused.

 

"Do you happen to like Nam Taehyun?" She asks, thinks that it could be the only plausible reason.

 

"Who?" The girl asks, eyebrows raised. "Ah, him? Nah."

 

"Then why-"

 

"You asked me what's the thing I came to steal? Well, listen carefully."  She cuts her off, takes a deep breath. "I'm here to steal... your heart. I'm going to steal your heart."

 

"Sunbae...." She couldn't believe what she is hearing.

 

"I'm being serious! Do you want to go out for snacks with me, Glinda?" The girl replies, laughs nervously.

 

"My name is Seungwan." She doesn't know what else to say.

 

"I know. I've always known, Son Seungwan of class 1-A, specialty: guitar and baking." She grins at her,  a bit toothy and Seungwan ends up giggling.

 

In that cramped up space full cobwebs and sad excuses for cleaning materials, is where Seungwan first believed in love.

 

It's cheesy and sounds like something that came out of a fictional novel but she knew at that point that she was the one.

 

There just has to be a greater force from somewhere that led her to be there on the day that the older girl decided to hide in that closet. It's destiny. It just has to be.

 

Seungwan was 17 and in high school and the whole world had so much in store for her but she didn't care. Her future was standing right in front of her, in that dusty broom closet so when she gives her the answer, she's sure about everything.

 

"I'd love to go out with you, Joohyun sunbae-nim." The smile she receives is so precious, so warm that it melts her heart into a puddle of goo.

 

The sound of the door creaking open breaks her off her reverie. Taeyeon peeks through the gap. For a second, Seungwan becomes unrealistically hopeful because, for a really brief moment, she thinks that it's her Joohyun. The resmeblance between her and her sister is just so striking especially in moments like this, when she's caught off guard.

 

"May I come in?" Taeyeon asks. Seungwan nods and she steps fully inside.

 

Seungwan holds her breath, expecting the worst.

 

"Okay, I'm gonna cut to the chase. How was Seulgi for you?" Taeyeon starts, eyes locked on Seungwan and she sees her face scrunch up in annoyance.

 

"I don't like her. I hate optimists. She bored me out with her talk of happily ever after." She replies, puts the photo back in its place.

 

Taeyeon sighs.

 

"You do know there's a reason why we introduced you to her, right?" The older girl walks closer to her, sits next to her on the bed.

 

Seungwan avoids her gaze, frowns at the floor.

 

"Friendship is out of the question and so is dating! I don't like her!" She almost spits.

 

"You need friends, Seungwan! I saw how much she wanted to reach out to you. You can't keep on pushing people away. It's not what Hyun wanted for you." Taeyeon says, gently on the last part. Seungwan takes a deep breath, her lower lip trembles.

 

"I never knew what she wanted for me because she's not here, unnie! She's gone!" She yells, starts to cry.

 

"Seungwan-ah," She calls, feels sorry for her.

 

"I'm not Hyun and there is no way I can bring her back but I know that she wanted you to be happy. She wanted nothing but the best for you." Taeyeon says, pats her back softly.

 

Seungwan doesn't answer, just sobs into her hands.

 

"I know that you both swore to love each other even to death-"

 

"And that's what I'm going to do, unnie. I'm going to love her to death, love her until the two of us meet again, love her even after that." Seungwan says, wipes her tears away.

 

She stands up and steps away from the bed to get a better look at her sister-in-law.

 

"I made a vow and I will keep that vow even if it's the last thing I do."

 

Taeyeon sighs again.

 

-------------------------

A/N: I'm sorry for the delay. I didn't have the time to update. I was on house arrest due to flu with a ton of school work in between, But whatever. This chapter is kinda short but I'll make it up to you guys in the next ones. And since we've already established some background stuff, I'm going to start picking up the pace. Thanks for reading! - Bluekimchi