Page 14 - Flight to Hawaii

One Punch! (งಠ_ಠ)ง

 

02efb55a179c754e0be0b891b2ee1114983fd96eA/N: A picture of Suzy at the airport!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Great, great, great! This wedding holiday will be a darn blast!

Its Friday morning now and Jaewon hadnt spoken a single word since the morning. Hes just patiently sitting beside me in the car, eyes carefully focused out the window. I can hear the music blasting over his headphones, but neither our parents nor I are ready to pick a fight with him. I decided to write few lines in you, Dear Dairy, because I probably will be too busy in Hawaii.

Mom made me wear that damn floral shirt that all Hawaiian dudes wear and I looked stupid as hell. Jaewon was allowed to wear a shirt of his choice, and he actually chose a floral patterned T-shirt, with very warm and cheerful colors. It was a surprised almost for everyone.

There are cars lining up behind us. Its my grandpa and grandma in the car behind us, escorting Jaewons grandparents as well. They seemed to get along instantly after meeting up at our house. I wave at them from time to time, just to get a honk from the old man.

Jaewon is still staring out of the window, yet his eyes are droopy. Occasionally I saw his head drop down and jerk back up, meaning that he was falling asleep. It was actually adorable how impressively he tried to keep himself awake. His big eyes were half closed, his perfectly shaped nose was almost pressed to the window. Those full lips were slightly parted for the air to be exhaled in steady breathing without any sound. I was practically ogling over him, but today no one was to judge me. I could calmly adore my older brother, even in a weird way that I dont understand.

What the hell is Suzy doing here? Shes going to ruin the whole holiday!

We all met on the airport, she was with her father, who seemed to be good friends with Mr. Jung. Suzy was instantly sent over to us, to socialize and talk to us. Jaewons eyes twinkled once he saw her standing there in her thick pink coat. She head a hat with cat ears and a thick scarf around her neck. She bobbed over to us with bouncing steps and suddenly the vibe around Jaewon changed. He put his headphones down, a smile appeared on his lips and he walked ahead to let me fall behind.

They were talking to each other until the lady announced our fight to be leaving in ten minutes. I was sitting with my grandparents, far away from Jaewon. I can’t lie, I stole 

pretty dark glances of him as he seemed so happy to have an equal’ to talk to now. Of course I was upset, who wouldnt? He was supposed to be my best friend and my brother and not a single girl, be it as gorgeous Suzy or not, should come in between us. Who am I kidding with this? He hated me for so long and he supposedly hates me still and just pretending to like me so mom and Mr. Jung wont get upset.

At that I let out a sigh. Grandma smoothed my hair down with a sympathetic smile. She probably had no idea what I was sighing over, but she sure got a clue that I wasnt happy at the moment.

Is that Jaewons girlfriend?” my grandpa asked in a raspy whisper. Both he and Jaewons grandfather looked over their shoulders at Jaewon and Suzy grinning over some lovey dovey talk.

I suppose so,” I shrugged hastily and looked down to the ground.

It would be time for the youngster to find himself a girl,” his grandfather started in a broken voice, that sounded like he was just having a bad sore throat. Some time before I thought he would turn to like boys,” he spoke up to my grandpa in the most ancient fashion. He had all these male singers or idols or what they are called now a days and covered the walls with them. Most of them were half and full of body paints,” he shivered while gesturing up his arm to point out the tattoos. It was scary, I dont want my grandson to turn out weird, so I asked my son to do something about it.

That talk didnt only piss me off, but also my own grandparents. They were gaping at Mr. Jung senior. Grandma gripped my neck gently, trying to reassure me that it is not completely true what the elder man was talking about.

Well,” my grandpa started with an awkward cackle. Youve got to be a little more open minded, mate, in this age. The kids do what they want,” he was still cackling while speaking, obviously nervous about the others response.

I dont quite agree with that,” he shook his head and raised a strict finger up. If you want your name to be wealthy and strong, you cant let any of those embarrassing, unnatural things to happen, even if it means disciplining the younger generations. As long as Im alive and the boy is wearing my name on him, he will be as I want him. He is not going to put shame on my name,” the old mans voice darkened and deepened, not while Im alive, neither while he is representing my family name!” Even I felt uncomfortable with 

this. I felt threatened and attacked, even if it probably havent had anything to do with me. I gulped harshly, being scared less. You should probably think it over with this one,” he said and pointed at me.

My grandson is perfectly fine the way he is, Jung,” my grandpa insisted, his arms folding on his chest. Im not a rich man, nor any influential character, but as long as my grandson is wearing my name proudly, I dont mind him turning out however he wants.

So you would allow unnatural?” grandfather Jung squinted his old watery eyes at my grandpa and leaned threateningly close.

If that means he is happy,” grandpa turned to me, giving me a smile, then yes, I would allow unnatural.

This made me smile. My stomach was tied in knots thanks to grandfather Jungs harsh words, but my grandpa was always cool and my biggest role model. He was someone that would believe in me no matter what, he would push me over my limits just to prove me that Im worth it and that I could do it. He was the kindest and the best person in my life.

Youve got to be a little open minded, Jung. My daughter was married to an American fellow and divorced very soon. It was their decision and she learnt her lesson.

If youd discipline her, forbid her from doing it, maybe she wouldnt have done such a mistake.

Excuse me, but to my knowledge its a personal preference on how I raise my kids, isnt it?

You should probably listen to your elders, Kim. Im trying to show you a way how to bring up an ambitious, successful, respectful offspring.

Im an adult, I have my own kids and my own ways. My children came out just fine, thank you very much. I wont control their lives.

You should! They will turn their back on you once you wont be able to move! Once you will be barely able to talk!” grandfather Jung raised his voice, making grandma hold on me tighter, frightened a little.

What right do you have to talk about my children like this?” grandpa also got a bit out of his control and sprung up from his seat along with grandfather Jung. The small row turned ever more heated when they shared those murderous glares. Ive never seen grandpa this mad before, but he was actually right. Very right, indeed.

Oh my,” both ladies stood up, but only my grandma spoke up. What are you, boys or adult men? Come on, lets calm down. This is not the right time for you two to argue over whose child is better and whose upbringing is more effective.” Her grip on grandpas hand tightened and as a wave of release, grandpa softened, his posture changing into a more comfortable and indifferent one, holding onto my grandmas hand tightly. Its our childrens wedding. This should be their happy moment of a life time, so why do you two want to ruin it for them?” grandma spoke and to even out the fault, she looked up at grandpa, putting him in blame too.

Youre a weakling, Kim,” grandfather Jung spat. Letting your wife lead your decisions, pathetic!” he said and tore his arm out of his wifes grip, walking away towards the vending machines. We all looked his way, until my grandpa spoke up to grandmother Jung.

I apologize for my behavior, dear,” he said and smiled apologetically. I shouldve watch my mouth.” He said and hugged my grandma, pecking her on the forehead. Grandmother Jung only watched the act with glistering eyes, envying their relationship silently.

Oh, please, dont apologize. It was my husbands harsh words. He has a really bad temper, but he is a really nice person,” grandmother spoke and excused herself and hurried away after her husband. 

Both of my grandparents turned my way, still hugging and smiled at me softly. I grinned widely and went up to hug them at once.

Im so proud of you!” I exclaimed, being really grateful and amazed by how my grandpa still hold his ground even while being attacked by the other, more powerful man. Suddenly a loud click with a flash appeared.

Thats such a lovely family portrait,” Mr. Jung exclaimed holding a big professional camera in his hands. “I’m sorry to disturb you, but we are leaving soon,” he announced and patted me on the back once I let go of my elders. Here, Sam,” he handed me the camera, your mission is to take as many pictures as you can.

Of anything I want?I suddenly lit up with excitement.

Of anything you want, buddy” he chuckled and patted me on my back again, dismissively. Walking away, he met up with his parents, a grumpy looking grandfather and a nervous grandmother. 

They all left towards the entrance, with my mom and Suzys parents already standing there. Jaewon and Suzy were still talking and sharing something on their phones, probably some cute little selfies they took to show off how good they look together. I felt the temper boil in me and I gripped in the camera in my hands. Grandma once again wrapped her arm around my back, reaching maximally there, because I seemed to overgrow her finally.

I looked at the numbers of the seats. My mom was sitting with Mr. Jung and Suzys parents in the middle row. My grandparents were sitting on the left row with the Jung grandparents in front of them. And I was destined to sit with the kids.

I gulped as I looked at Suzy and Jaewon having a chit chat over some stuff on her phone. Jaewon was leaning over Suzys seat a little, not even noticing my presence. I frowned and threw my bag above them to the seat at the window, purposely making it hit Jaewons arm. He looked up at me with a poisonous glare and rolled his eyes.

Oh, hello Sammy,” Suzy greeted me with a pretty wide smile. I looked at her, face not softening at all.

Its Samuel,” I corrected her with an unpleasant scoff and pushed my way through them, stepping on Jaewons foot purposely. He hissed and elbowed me in the back, making me move faster over him. I almost hit the small window of the plane as I tripped over, sitting down quickly and hugged my backpack. Jaewon instantly turned to Suzy, which was still looking at me concerned.

After few hours of the flight, I was feeling drowsy. I was playing some indie games on the tablet Jaewon’s father have bought us. I was completely ignoring the love birds, who seemed to have so much in common. Favorite singers, genre of music, fashion, school problems, future plans. They both were clueless on what theyll be doing after school, however, Jaewons idea struck me in the heart. 

I was considering either going in university of arts, but I would probably have to face many obstacles to get there,” Jaewon spoke in a small voice, sitting back in his seat and looking over at Suzy. She was listening to him carefully, interested in every word the boy had for her. First of all, my grandpa would probably furious and make my father forbid me to go, but they would probably be powerless once I will be a legal adult.” They shared a small laughter.

What if they wouldnt let you go?” Suzy asked, her voice gentle and curious.

I thought of joining the army sooner. I would have a proper military training and I would go to school at the base. I wouldnt have to serve the military service later and I could enjoy my life in its fullest,” at that point, my ears perked up. I glanced sideways at them, not giving away that I paid them any attention. Or maybe become a rapper,” he burst out laughing with Suzy following with an amazed exclamation.

I wanted to become an actress,” she mumbled after they fell into a long silence.

An actress?

Yes,” she smiled and turned to Jaewon confidently. Thats why I joined the drama club at school, I act in your fathers theatre. I was hoping that I might get a major main role that would be played on many places and I would be casted in some movies or other bigger theatres.

Thats an amazing dream, Suzy,” Jaewon beamed and put his hand on her forearm, rubbing her smooth skin up and down. I almost gagged, but that would give out my cover. However Suzy seemed to sneak a peek of me watching them. She cocked her head out to look across from Jaewon. She smiled charmingly at me and sat more comfortably, yet to still see me.

And what about you Samuel? What do you want to do after school?” she asked, her head resting in her palm. I heard Jaewon scoff and cross his arms on his chest.

I dont know,” I stressed out quickly, my heart beat rate picking up quickly, not predicting to be asked anything. Maybe go back to California and attend college there,” I shrugged and turned my eyes back to my game.

Thats cool!” Suzy exclaimed with an impressed look. Can you speak English that well?” she asked dumbly.

Hes American, Suzy,” Jaewon informed her hastily and rolled his eyes. Suzy deadpanned, looking between me and Jaewon.

Really?” she exclaimed surprised. But youre so good at Korean, like...”

Im half Korean and half Hispanic, but from America. I dont remember much from there, but my father still lives there somewhere. And my aunt is also in California. We lived with her before moving to my grandparents.

That is so awesome! Not the separated family, but the experience. I always wanted to go to America,” she said with a dreamy voice. She didn’t seem bad at all, she was a pretty

cool girl, a kind company and very friendly one too. I just dont want to go with my parents, because they would probably order me around all the time. And Im not good at English,” she suddenly pouted up at Jaewon. He snickered.

Thats why you wanted my help so bad?” Jaewon raised a skeptical eyebrow with a mocking laugh.

Oh, be quiet, One!Suzy giggled and smacked Jaewon on the
arm repeatedly.

You in English, Jaewon,” I proclaimed and looked at them dumbfounded. They both stopped, Suzy still half smiling whilst Jaewons smile completely disappeared.

How would you know?he hissed through his gritted teeth.

I-I... figured? I saw you comment on one facebook girls picture in English and you misspelled beautiful,” I stated and looked down in the tablet yet again, avoiding Jaewons deadly looking eyes. You wrote is as B-E-U-T-I-F-U-E-L-L” I spoke and heard Suzy snicker. She was covering with her hand gracefully, muffling her amusement. I could feel Jaewons rage flaming from his body and I could see what he was going to do to me for revenge.

You should start praying,” he said in a deep growl and I looked up at him. I snatched his cap from his head. Now!” and after that, I skillfully jumped across his and Suzys lap, running away to the halls, having Jaewon gnaw at my heels from anger.

I almost knocked a stewardess over, I bumped into a fat guy from the economy class that smelled like moths old gym class socks and his crack was showing above his jeans. We got scolded from the stewardesses and our parents as well. Especially Jaewons grandfather had heavy words on me being an immature child, that should reconsider my actions before dragging Jaewon down the drain with me. We had to be separated. I was reseated with my mom on the place of my grandparents. They were reseated in the middle with Jaewons father. Jaewon and his grandmother were sitting in front of us now, his grandfather at the middle row beside Mr. Jung. And Suzys parents sat with her. Mom would nag all the way until she decided that she was too tired and fell asleep slowly.

I was playing on the tablet again, listening to some music from my phone. Mom was sound asleep beside me while listening to some of her tunes. I suddenly felt an upside smack on my head. I jumped startled and looked up. It was Jaewon glaring 

at me and sitting too high on his seat. I took off my headphones and whispered to him aggressively. 

What do you want?

Thats for being an ! Why did you have to tell her that?” he growled at me with a whisper, not wanting to wake up any of the people in the plane which were sound asleep in their slumber.

You should be honest with the chick you like!” I spat at him, sitting in forward more to be closer to him.

Stop it Sam!” he warned me, his index finger pointing at me threateningly. You know how I feel about her, I-

You like her, I know,” I rolled my eyes, just to get a worse expression from him.

Sam!” he snarled again his finger going closer to my face, along with his head coming over the back rest of the seat. Im over her! I just want to keep being friends with her!

I dont care what your intentions are with her, Jaewon. Im just overly disgusted with your terrible childishness and your ignorance towards me! Once the girl shows up, Im like air to you.

Yeah, air, because I need you to live.” I swore that I was going deaf and imagining things, but Jaewon looked so angry and furious that he had forgot what he was talking about. His eyes shot open in shock, his lips shriveled up sourly and he looked away, avoiding my face. You heard nothing,” he said and covered his mouth, sitting back down. I was petrified.

Jaewon?” I tried to catch his attention. Nothing. Jaewon!” I tried again. Jung Jaewon!” I shook his seat a little but there was no response. !” I exclaimed, loud enough for him to hear me and I sat back in my seat, arms folded on my chest and I was staring holes in Jaewons seat. 


 

A/N: Bam! So I decided to add pictures of the cast, how they currently look like, because Samuel will sure evolve in the next chapters, because he also ages and stuff, so that's about it. Thank you for reading!