No Regrets

Undeniable Chemistry

"You both read the script right?" The director walked over with his own script in his hand as he walked over to Ji Hyo and Ji Hoon. "This scene is very important. Not only does it portray your actual feelings for each other but the reluctance to take a step toward that feeling." The director raised his hand up as a cue to prepare lightening and audio. "Your character hates him but loves him at the same time," he looks at Ji Hyo and smiled. "You know what to do, your the first actress I've worked with that understands her role so well." His eyes looked over at Ji Hoon. "I hope you don't forget your lines again this time, if we have to retake this over - we're not going to make it for the press conference for the drama." 

 
Ji Hoon gives his best smile toward the director as he looked over the script. "Don't worry, I've studied like crazy for this scene since its important." 
 
The director nodded his head in approval and start walking back over to his chair as he instructed to where the lightening should be. Ji Hyo looked up at Ji Hoon with disgust. "You're so brilliant acting like a confused actor," she said sarcastically. 
 
He leaned closer to her with a smirk. "Playing innocence is what I do best." He winks at her before turning his focus back to the script. "Isn't that what made you fall for me first?" 
 
Ji Hyo exhaled deeply to control her emotions, flipping over to the next page of the script. She knew this scene was coming, she just wished that the writer would've looked it over and decided that it wasn't needed. As she read the lines, she could feel herself wanting to throw up on what she has to do with him. It's a short but important scene - something critical for dramas to have to display all the hidden emotions and chemistry between the two lead characters. She had this scene once, it was with Lee Pil Mo Sunbaenim in 'Emergency Couple'. But considering how close she is with him in real life, the scene was nothing but playfulness. 
 
"1...2....3 and action!" 
 
"Park Da In, just what is it that you want from me?" Ji Hoon got into character quickly and looked at Ji Hyo with hurtful but vengeful eyes. He moved closer to her just as it was instructed to do so. "It's bad enough that I have to see you everyday because of work but now you're trying to invade my office by telling me that what I'm doing is wrong? Who are you to tell me what to do and what not to?!" 
 
Ji Hyo stayed as emotionless the best she could, the scene called for her to do so until it was her turn to speak. "Don't you feel bad for everyone else? People work hard to serve justice and you're over here kissing the superiors ! What? Because he said to close the case, you closed it right away? There is a family waiting for their daughter to have justice!" Her eyes start to shake violent as she prepared to cry. "Where is the Kim Hong Soon that I knew? The one that pranced around high school, claiming that he was going to be the best cop?!" She hit Ji Hoon's chest as she cried. "I want him back! I don't want this useless and lazy cop in front of me!" 
 
Ji Hoon caught her wrist to stop her from hitting his chest again. They stayed like that for the next ten seconds as the camera moves around to make a 360 turn for the frame. "Why are you acting like this? I'm not the same person anymore and neither are you. We can't go back to where we were in high school, not again." His grip tightened harder as he pulled Ji Hyo closer to him. "We're not kids, we're adults. What we want to happen is a lot harder than you think. There are scarier people in the world that you have to listen to. If you don't, you're gone." Ji Hoon took his hand off the wrist and closed his eyes. "Just pretend that you don't know anything about this," he opened his eyes, silently pleading her. "I don't want to you be in danger." 
 
"I'm not scared." Ji Hyo argued back. "Hong Soon, let me help you. I can distract them and we can work in secret to solve this."
 
"No." 
 
"Why?" 
 
"Because I'm scared to lose you again." Ji Hoon said his last words as the camera panned closer to them, take a long shot of the scene. They both continued to stare at each other with tears b against their eyes - all their emotions finally coming out. The feelings that the two characters have for each other goes beyond from high school. But they were both scared to admit anything because they already lost each other once before. 
 
"And cut!" Ji Hyo broke out of character and exhaled deeply, looking up the ceiling to clear her tears by blinking quickly. As soon as she knew that it was gone, she cleared and walked over to the director and the small panel. Watching the scene that she just acted in being played out, she waited to see if he would nod in approval. "Excellent, the emotions were there. Just as I expected." He looked at both of the actors and smiled. "You guys are just so in sync with your acting and the chemistry is insane! No wonder the ratings are so high." 
 
Ji Hoon smiled and put his arm around her, making it look as if they've been close. "It's all thanks to our previous drama together." 
 
The director nodded his head in agreement. "Go change into your clothes and get ready for the press conference." Ji Hyo shrugged his arm off of her and walked over to her stylist. The idea of having a mid-drama press conference is new to her. It only happens when dramas achieved high ratings and reporters want to get the details for their papers on the development so far. Not only is she nervous about it but she doesn't even know how to prepare for it. She drew a deep breath and took out her phone. As soon as she turned it on and the picture of Do Hyun showed up, a smile spread across her face as she brushes his face from the screen. 
 
. . . 
 
"Ahjussi," Do Hyun said as he got up on the kitchen stool and watched as Jong Kook put a chicken thigh into boiling water. "Why do you cook chicken everyday?"
 
Jong Kook laughed and covered the pot with the lid. He opened the refrigerator and gave Do Hyun a juice box. "Because it's healthy and good."
 
Do Hyun made a face as he sipped his juice. "Not yours." He placed the juice box down and clapped his hands together. "Omma's chicken is the best!" 
 
"Your mom's?" He questioned with curiosity all over his face. Running Man has done enough cooking battle themes for him to know about Ji Hyo's cooking ability. It's not that she is horrible, it's just that she is okay. "Did you ever see your make the chicken?" 
 
"Aniyo, she says it's a secret and I can't know." Do Hyun opened his arms wide as an expression. "When it's time for dinner, there's aloooooot of chicken on the table. I love my mom's chicken the best!" 
 
"Really?" Jong Kook chuckled and ruffled this head as a gesture. "It must be that good then." 
 
Do Hyun smiled. "It is." He got off the kitchen stool and walked over to put his juice box into the trash. "Ahjussi.."
 
"Yes?" 
 
"Can I ask you something? I'm too scared to ask my mom."
 
Jong Kook nodded his head and bent down to be on eye level with him. "What is it?" 
 
"The ahjussi that came to the house," Do Hyun slowly said as he fidgeted with his hands. "Is he really bad?" 
 
Not knowing how to answer the question or even what to think, Jong Kook cleared his throat and furrowed his eyebrows together. How should he tell an eight year old about his father? "He's not as bad as you think," he decided to speak honestly to Do Hyun. "I just think that he is using people for his own needs and that doesn't make him a good person, does it?" Do Hyun shakes his head as a response. "Why wouldn't you ask your mom about this? Why would you be scared?"
 
Do Hyun pouted his lips and took something out of his back pocket. "I found this when I was playing with my mom's things. It fell out and she just looked so happy that I kept it." Jong Kook took it from him and opened the picture up. Much to his surprise, it's a picture of Ji Hyo and Ji Hoon together - he was giving her a piggyback ride while he took the picture. She must've kept this picture for memory sake. "Omma is happy but she isn't happy like this anymore. If he is a bad person, why does she look so happy?"
 
Aigoo. How in the world is he supposed to be explaining this to a child? 
 
. . . 
 
Ji Hyo bowed one last time for the cameras in front of her and the media broadcasts that were recording before she got off the stage. Walking over to the dressing room, she exhaled deeply while cracking her neck. The press conference is finally over after an hour and a half. Taking off her heels, she sat on the chair and looked at herself in the mirror. She's so tired that she doesn't know if she could pull off tonight's filming. Of course, she is thankful for the love and attention she is receiving for her character and the drama itself but sometimes it just adds the pressure that she never wanted. 
 
The drama has only been on air for three weeks, premiering its first six episodes already. There are ten more episodes to go which means only two months and a week more until it's over. She pulled her hair into a quick bun, getting ready to change when the door opened with Ji Hoon walking in. "What do you want?"
 
Ji Hoon chuckled as he took a seat on the couch that's provided for the actresses and actors to sit when waiting. "Just wanted to come and check up on my lead actress before I head out to film my scenes. It must be nice to have a few hours off before you come back and start filming again." He looked at the set of clothes that she was about to change into. "You did always looked better in casual clothes than dressing up." 
 
"Cut to the chase before someone sees you in here." 
 
"Where is he?" Ji Hyo rolled her eyes as a response. "Did Lee Dong Wook take him to Jeju Island?" He exhaled deeply and closed his eyes. "I let it slide for three weeks. When are you going to let me see my son?"
 
"When are you going to learn to be a decent human being?" She questioned back while wiping off her makeup. "Did the kick on your not send an enough message?"
 
Ji Hoon got up from the couch and stood in front of her. "What's so wrong about me using him for a little bit? It's not like I'm going to take him from you. I'll give him back when half of my stardom is back."
 
"Did you not see the crowd out there today? They were there for the drama that we're both in. Complimenting on our acting and chemistry, which I don't understand about that, but it's still attention and fame. Your name is on the search list for hours because of it." Ji Hyo threw the makeup remover into the trash. "Isn't that enough?" 
 
"And do you want to know something? Guess who is number one on the search list? You." Ji Hoon clapped his hands as a sarcastic gesture. "They're complimenting on how much you improved as an actress and your display of emotions for the role." He shook his head as if he felt ashamed to be in the same room with her.  "They don't know talent when they see one." 
 
Ji Hyo rubbed her eyes as she exhaled. "I'm asking you this because I don't care about you nor do I ever want to. But don't you think you should see someone like a doctor?"
 
"For what?"
 
"Your stupid ego." 
 
. . .
 
Jong Kook walked over to his bedroom slowly and carefully as he didn't want to wake up Do Hyun from his nap. As soon as he closed the door, he collapsed onto the bed and closed his eyes. For three weeks, he has helped out Ji Hyo by taking care of Do Hyun when he wasn't busy. Although out of the three weeks, he only managed to watch him for one week - he hasn't been tired as much as this since the army. Opening his eyes, he took out the picture that he had earlier and stared at the happiness that was shown on her face. Do Hyun was right. Even in the five years he has known her, the happiness that the picture shows - he has never seen it before. 
 
He remembered back when he told her his biggest heartbreak and how little she describe her own. The relationship she had with Joo Ji Hoon must've been something that made her feel alive and now even in more pain because of the whole ordeal. It's hard, Jong Kook knows it. Trying your best to get over someone when you've known them for so long. He thought back to Eun Hye and how since the day he asked her to leave, she hasn't come back. 
 
"Hyung," Jong Kook turned over to the door to see Ji Hyo walking in, closing it behind her. She smiled and took a seat next to him as he still laid on it. "Tired?"
 
"I'm beat, that kid took the energy out of me." 
 
Ji Hyo laughed as she rubbed her eyes continuously. "He's a handful." She put her legs up and wrapped her arms around it as she yawned. "Does it change your mind about having a family?"
 
"No," he chuckled as he sat up and leaned against the headboard of the bed. "If anything, it's making me want kids even more. The way he dances around when he's listening to music, the way he ask about everything repeatedly - makes me feel like having a kid will be the greatest moment of my life. I just know it." The idea of children never fazed him into fear. He has always wanted kids, his ideal type of a family is at least four children. The bigger the family, the better it is. Jong Kook looked over at her. "Do you want another kid?"
 
She closed her eyes as she thought about it. "Sometimes I do."
 
"Sometimes?" Jong Kook repeated.
 
"Who am I going to have it with, hyung?" She laughed as she opened her eyes again and shrugged her shoulders. "As long as I have Do Hyun and keep working, I'm okay with it. Remember what I said? Love is nothing. Even if I die now or grow old alone without it, I'm fine."
 
Jong Kook smiled a little bit before he handed her back the picture. "Do Hyun found it in your things, thought you should have it back." 
 
Ji Hyo's smile faded as she took back the picture and stared at it for several seconds. "This was taken on my birthday..." She couldn't even recognize her face because it was just so happy. "He bought a teddy bear and flowers that day." The memories came rushing in and she couldn't stop replaying it. "We were playing around with the camera and he got mad so he kept carrying me around in the house." Ji Hyo blinked and stared at Ji Hoon's face. "Lately, I've been wondering if he didn't let fame get in his head - would he been at least half of a decent human being.."
 
"Would you still be with him if you never broke up? With Do Hyun too?" The silence in the room was eerily cold. Jong Kook watched as she kept staring at the picture without answering his question. He remembered when she had asked him the same question that night, he said no without hesitation. Ji Hyo taking this long could only mean that she possibly has remaining feelings for Ji Hoon. 
 
"No." She finally answered and took a deep breath before she ripped the picture in half. "If I do actually start believing in love again, it will be with someone else." She placed the ripped pieces aside and closed her eyes, laying next to Jong Kook. "But I don't."
 
Within seconds, he could already tell that she fell asleep. Jong Kook silently watched as she breathe softly in and out. A piece of hair strand was on her face so he carefully leaned down closer to her to brush it aside when he suddenly paused. With his own face inches away from her, his eyes looked at every single feature of her face. The wide forehead that the members make fun of, the big eyes that are puffy and tired from all the work, the little cute nose that she sometimes sniffles with, and her lips....his eyes stop there, continually staring at it. Completely thrown off by his own actions, Jong Kook stood away from the bed. His eyes widened in shock by his own behavior just now. He didn't do anything wrong but he was staring at her lips! Shaking his head, he hurriedly escape the room and stood in the kitchen. "Kim Jong Kook, what are you doing?" He asked himself softly as he took out another water bottle and drank the heck out of it. 
 
. . . 
 
"You never really cooked his favorite chicken, did you?" Jong Kook questioned with his eyes narrowing at her. It was Saturday afternoon, the only day that Ji Hyo gets a day off from filming. "You got it from the chicken place near your parent's house, didn't you?"
 
Ji Hyo bit her lip, guilty as ever. "Just don't tell him." She looks over at how Do Hyun was playing with his toys. "He thinks I'm the best cook in the world." 
 
Jong Kook laughed as he take a bite from the apple. "I've tasted your cooking," he slowly made a face of disgust and shudder at the memory of tasting her cooking. "Never." 
 
She playfully hit his arm before she put him under a headlock. "Do Hyun-ah!" As soon as her son turned around, she tightened the grip around his head. "Jong Kook Ahjussi says that my cooking is bad."
 
"No!" Right away, Do Hyun got up and rushed over to the other side of Jong Kook to playfully hit his arm. "Omma's the best!"
 
Not able to control the laughter in him, Jong Kook did the only thing possible in this kind of situation. With Do Hyun holding onto his arm and Ji Hyo having him in a headlock - he stood up from the couch and using his Commander power, he managed to pull them off the ground. He watched as Do Hyun laughed like crazy at the fact that he was hanging in the air by holding onto his arm while Ji Hyo was wrapping her legs around his own leg because she didn't even expect him to lift them up with his strength like that. "What? The mother and son that was hitting me? Where are they?" Jong Kook joked as he still stood still, perfectly fine by the weight that he is holding. 
 
Ji Hyo whacked her long hair at his face playfully, letting it tickle the heck out of him. "Do Hyun, what should we do at this situation?"
 
Still hanging and laughing at the same time, he looked at his mom. "What we always do, Omma."
 
He narrowed his eyes over at the mother and son, wondering what the heck they are taking about. Before he had time to even ask, they suddenly attacked him by tickling his armpits - causing him to suddenly drop onto the couch while laughing. As soon as they stopped, he looked at them in horror. "Jinja? Tickling?!" Both Ji Hyo and Do Hyun looked up at him with their blank faces and innocent eyes. "Wow, you're really mother and son. There's not doubt about that." 
 
Do Hyun smiled and held onto Jong Kook's pinky with his little hand which surprised Jong Kook because it almost gave him a small fatherly feeling. Something he never felt in his whole life. "Can we go somewhere fun today?" Do Hyun begged, showcasing his pleading eyes toward the adults. 
 
Ji Hyo laughed as she patted his head. "I don't know, where should we go?"
 
"Hmm....I want to see water!" 
 
. . . 
 
"You could've just taken us to the port to see the water," Ji Hyo said as she looked up at the amusement park. "You didn't have to go through all this trouble.."
 
Jong Kook held onto Do Hyun's hand as he fixed his hat. "Don't be crazy," he said while bending down to fix Do Hyun's little hat. "The kid wants to see water, we're going to take him to the water park. Plus, it's hot these days. It's a good time to play in the water."
 
Ji Hyo shook her head. "You're going to be a great father one day," she said sarcastically while fixing her own hat. "Because he wants to see water, you drove an hour to an amusement park."
 
"Have you been at one with him? To play with him?" Jong Kook questioned.
 
She thought about how she never really took Do Hyun anywhere besides restaurants to eat or walking with him around the neighborhood. She never had time to take him somewhere special like this. That's when she understood what Jong Kook meant by taking them here. He was helping her make more memories with her kid on her day off. She smiled at his sweet gesture before she exhaled deeply. "Let's do this!"
 
Do Hyun couldn't wait. He lets go of Jong Kook's hand and ran over to the front gates - waiting for his turn to enter the park. Excitement runs down his body as he turned around and gestured for them to hurry over so he could go in. Jong Kook and Ji Hyo couldn't help but laugh at how much a simple field trip can make his whole world a much better place. 
 
. . . 
 
Ji Hyo watched happily with a big bright smile plastered on her face as Do Hyun jumped into the pool after sliding down the tunnel. He waved over at her before he dunked himself under water and started playing with the other kids. She would've gotten in the water with him but she didn't prepare anything to wear for it. "Thank you," she said as soon as Jong Kook came back and handed her a smoothie while he drank water. "And thank you so much for this." 
 
He returned a smile and watched Do Hyun play around. "It's nice to be outside for once without worrying about work or how I should act in front of the camera. It's a nice break for the both of us." Although they both still hide their faces with the hats and some extra layer of clothes but it's worth a trip for the kid. "You should go in the water with him. Make the memories you couldn't make while you were at work, Ji Hyo-ah." 
 
She takes a sip of her smoothie. "I don't have extra clothes. Could've warned a woman about the park before you decided to jump in the car right away." Ji Hyo started laughing when she saw Do Hyun splashing water around. "He's having so much fun."
 
The way she was smiling for the first time in a while like this gave Jong Kook a good feeling, that she is able to be happy again like the picture. Do Hyun has always been the source of her happiness and miracle of life. Everything that involved around that boy has sent this woman riding in completely awe and happiness that not even words can even describe. It saddens him that she never got to spend outside freely with her son because of work and the eye of the media. Not wanting to let the same thing happen right in front of him, he took the smoothie away from her and threw it into the trash can along with his water. Not bothering to even say a word, he took Ji Hyo's wrist and pulled her toward the tunnel ride. 
 
"Jong Kook! People can recognize us!"
 
He didn't care. As soon as they made it up toward the ride, he took one of the inflatable tubes and picked up Ji Hyo, placing her on the front as he sat behind her. They've gone on this tunnel ride a million times during Running Man but this will be the first time that they're going to do it together and without cameras. Just freely without a care of the world. "Memories." He said lastly before he slightly push the tube forward and there they went.
 
Ji Hyo screamed as water was splashing on them continuously and the faster the speed was, the more thrilling she felt. She couldn't help but laugh and finally enjoy something for once in the harsh weeks she went through. When the end of the tunnel appeared, she decided to let it all go. With her hands over , she screamed as loudest as she can. All the sadness, tears, frustrations, and anger that she has been feeling lately - it's leaving her this day forward. "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" 
 
Jong Kook burst out laughing as he covered his eardrums to keep himself from going deaf. As soon as their tube hit the pool, they stood up from the water and looked at each other, bursting out laughing together. "I'm the Commander!" Do Hyun screamed as he jumped onto Jong Kook's back and made roaring sounds. Splashing water at them, Ji Hyo started swimming over to the other side when she caught Jong Kook's eyes changing into what looks like competitiveness. "Catch her!" Do Hyun pointed as he held onto him tighter around the neck. 
 
"You better hold on tight, kiddo." Jong Kook instructed before he started fiercely swimming to chase after Ji Hyo.
 
. . . 
 
In two hours it will be midnight which means that amusement park is about to close and Ji Hyo's day off is about to end. As the time of closing is near, they decided to take Do Hyun near the food area to let him eat whatever he wants. While he was preoccupied with his food, Ji Hyo and Jong Kook decided to walk over to ledge railing to watch the fireworks. 
 
During nights like this especially during the weekend, the park would let fireworks appear for a good thirty minutes or so. It's honestly one of the most beautiful sight for Ji Hyo to experience at this time of night. She closed her eyes and took everything in. Within one day, she possibly had the most fun she had in years. Running Man has always given her laughter and true love for variety but this night was the icing on the cake. 
 
Being able to spend hours with her son playing outside and letting him enjoy what other kids do, it makes her insanely peaceful and happy. And it's all thanks to Jong Kook. She opened her eyes and put her arm around his shoulder. "Tell me what you want, hyung. I'll grant your wish just like how you did for me."
 
He shook his head and chuckled while looking at the fireworks. He can't remember when was the last time he saw fireworks. From what he knows, it was probably with Eun Hye ten years ago on New Years. "You don't have to do anything for me." Jong Kook said as he looked briefly at her before back over to the sky. "Being here is already good enough, I haven't seen these in a long time so it's a bit thrilling right now." 
 
Ji Hyo looked at him in awe. "Why are you so simple? Anything makes you happy and you're fine with it." She leaned her head against his shoulder as they both enjoyed the fireworks. "Sometimes I wish I could be as simple as you." She briefly turned around to check on Do Hyun. "Are you sure you don't want anything?" As she adverted her attention back over to Jong Kook, her eyes started bothering her again. "Damn it."
 
"What's wrong?" Jong Kook furrowed his eyebrows together. He's been noticing that she has been rubbing her eyes lately. 
 
"Maybe I should get my eyes checked," Ji Hyo muttered while continuously rubbing them because they were itchy. "They keep bothering me during filming too. I had to fix the makeup a couple of times before some scenes." 
 
He laughed at her silliness. "Here, let me see what I can do." She opened one eye for him to check and the other when he told her to switch. "It's really red. What if something got in your eye?" Gently holding her face as he leaned closer and blew softly into her eye, he furrowed his eyebrows together to focus on her eyes. After a couple times of blowing air into her eyes, she felt a little better. "See? That's not so hard..." Jong Kook stopped talking when he noticed how close they were standing next to each other. For three weeks, he has been so unsure on what his heart has been trying to tell him lately. He thought it was just a fluttering moment sometimes when he looks at her. Nothing more. Whenever he does something nice for her, it's only just a nice gesture. Just like how it's been for five straight years. He has always been able to look straight into her eyes without being bothered because it's a Song Ji Hyo. So why is he suddenly acting and thinking like this? Has the words from Ha Dong Hoon influenced him this much? It can't be like this again. 
 
"Jong Kook..." Ji Hyo said with a worried expression on her face. "Are you okay?" 
 
He cleared his throat and stepped away from her. "Yeah, sorry." Jong Kook couldn't help but think about what exactly is he doing? How is he a man? How is he supposed to find the right one if he isn't going to act out on something that he is unsure of? If he acts out on it, maybe answers will flow in and he will definitely know how he feels. How is he ever going to be in a relationship again if he doesn't do anything? Is this why he has been practically alone for ten years? His shyness and reluctant towards women has been no help either. If he knows how he feels or even the slightest of confusion, he has to do something about it. But how does he feel about Ji Hyo? Nowadays when he looks at her, he can't help but be in complete utter awe by her natural beauty. He has been mesmerized by it countless times during filming for Running Man but never like this. What he feels every time he looks at her is this pounding heartbeat feeling and cold sweat runs down his body. Even if he doesn't show it, he has been so nervous lately around her that he wonders if he is going to survive in his own home.
 
He has to do something about these unsure feelings or else he is going to regret it forever.
 
"Look at that one!" Ji Hyo pointed to the biggest firework so far. "That's insane!"
 
"I think I know what I want." She turned her attention over to him and smiled. "Ji Hyo, don't hate me for this." He takes a step closer to her, closing whatever boundaries they had between them earlier. His hands slowly caressed her face as she looks back him with confusion. And without another word from him, he leaned his face closer to her - their lips inches apart from each other. 
 
The sound of high heels approached softly and slowly at the same time. "Oppa?" Jong Kook silently cursed to himself as he pulled away from Ji Hyo, unable to kiss her. Not only because of that but he can recognize that voice anywhere and anytime.
 
Yoon Eun Hye. 
 
. . . 
 
(Author's Note): 
 
I do apologize for the late update for this chapter. Usually I have this up around 3AM on my timezone but I got a bit delayed with other things and had to fix ton of things about this chapter. And here I am - just woke up at 6AM and tried my best to finish to post it. I sincerely am sorry if there are any mistakes, I'm too tired to triple check like I usually do. I personally am disappointed in myself with this chapter but I hope you like it! Thank you so much for your amazing comments from the previous chapter. It made me so happy! Please do comment & subscribe! It'll be a big help!