What Can't I Do?

Undeniable Chemistry

Jong Kook stared in disbelief as he looked aroung the living room of Eun Hye's house. Clothes, old food waste that's starting to have mold, even pieces of wrappers from junk food are found in every single floor board of the building. What has she been doing all this time? Living under a rat hole? He kicked some of the junk food stuff away so he had room to walk as he carried her into her bedroom. Once she laid down on the bed, he exhaled deeply and checked the time on his watch. It's already past midnight. Running his hand through his hair out of frustration, he looked around at the bedroom. Pictures of some of photoshoots were plastered all over the wall - it's obvious that someone was self-centered about herself. His eyes adverted over to the bedside table, where a picture stood out to him. Picking up the photo frame, he stared at the old picture that he and her took in their first year of dating. It was a picture on one of their dates at the park - he had snuck the camera and laid down next to her on the grass, taking a quick picture. The picture came out so great that they both went to print it out and had it framed at their house. He hasn't seen the picture in ten years - keeping their old pictures he has in an old box in the storage in his parents house. There were countless times that his brother and his mom tried to throw it out but he had fought against it. He doesn't exactly have an attachment to those photos but their just memories - almost reminders of his past, the past that he had once share with Yoon Eun Hye.

To stand in her bedroom and see that this picture still displayed on her bedside table, he's a little surprise. For some reason, since their breakup - he always believed that she would be the first one to put the picture away. Putting down the photo frame to it's old pace, he exhaled deeply before exiting out of the room. Leaning against the wall, he looked at the wall across from him. There are a thousand thoughts going on his head, why exactly is he here for? Why does it seem like he can't get away from her no matter how hard he tries to? This is almost becoming into a routine and he needs it to stop.

The sound of someone knocking on the door distracted his thoughts. Making his way across the dirty living room, he looks at the monitor to see his brother, Kim Jong Myung. "Hi, hyung."

"Where is she?" Jong Myung asked as he held onto his doctor kit.

"The bedroom," Jong Kook answered as he closed the door. Following his older brother, he watched silently as Jong Myung does what he does best at - being a doctor. He crossed his arms across his chest, watching as Jong Myung quietly take out his medical supplies. If there is one thing that he regret is the fact that he always seems to ask for his older brother for things and he hasn't been able to return the favor in recent years. Jong Kook has been so busy lately that sometimes he doesn't even have time to ask his brother how his day is going. And here he is again - always here willing to help him out despite everything. "How is she?"

Jong Myung sighed as he collected everything, putting it back into his kit. "She obviously isn't sleeping nowadays. Her eyes are heavily red from insomia but also from these drugs." He took a look at the pills. "It's half empty already, we don't even know if this is her first bottle of pills or ninth bottle. All I can say is that this is on the verge of danger. With what you explained about her being dizzy, irrational, or even different change of personality - she's close on losing it mentally." He turned and looked at his younger brother. "Do you understand what you're getting yourself into?"

Jong Kook looked at him with an apologetic expression. "I'm sorry."

"Sorry isn't good enough," Jong Myung looked at Eun Hye briefly, as she's sound asleep now. "You're in a relationship with a woman now. Ji Hyo-ssi. Are you forgetting about her because she's in Jeju Island right now? Do you think it's okay for you to be doing this with another woman? Someone especially like Yoon Eun Hye?"

"Hyung, you know it's not like that. She just happened to be in my - "

Jong Myung shook his head. "Jong Kook-ah. This is why I always say there is something wrong with the way you take care of things. Can't you take a little bit of your character as Commander and use it in real life? Eun Hye has hurt you so many times and she is still is. Ji Hyo has been your escape to happiness the moment she stepped into your life. If you continue on helping and being nice to people to those who have burdened you, you will start to burden the ones that you want in your life."

"Then what am I supposed to do, hyung? Eun Hye is suffering like this because of me."

"And think about your position," Jong Myung said in a stern, tough voice. "Where was she when you were suffering for ten years?" He didn't say anything else. Patting his younger brother on the shoulder, he bid goodbye before walking out of the house.

. . .

"Are you excited to be back home tomorrow?" Jo In Sung asked as he handed Ji Hyo an americano. They just finished one of their last scenes to be done in Jeju Island and will fly back to Seoul to finish one last week of filming before the production crew take it back to edit and review. Everything has been a hectic for the cast and crew because of the snowstorm they had last night. "What has Do Hyun been doing?"

Ji Hyo took a sip of her coffee and laughed as she put it down on the table between them. "Taking care of Dong Wook."

"Lee Dong Wook?" In Sung laughed as he shook his head. "You know, it's brave of what Dong Wook-ssi did for you. He put everything on the line when he took the first punch." He smiled and looked at Ji Hyo. "You should be happy to have everyone love and protect you so much."

"I am grateful but," she paused as she gave it a little more thought. Lately, she has been feeling so down because of the fact of Dong Wook always willing to help her out. It's slowly has started to affect his own work and she doesn't want that to happen. "But I feel as if I have become more of a burden than a best friend." she said honestly to In Sung.

In Sung knit his eyebrows together in confusion. "Burden? Why would you think of yourself as burden toward others?"

"People are always helping me..." Ji Hyo said slowly. "And I feel as if I've done nothing to help the favor. Even you." She stopped when she and In Sung looked at each other briefly, something in their memories that was locked away has been unlock and back into their mind. "What you did for me back then...."

He sighed. "It's nothing big," In Sung explained. "I did what I had to do back then. It's been almost 8 years since then. You don't have to worry about it." He grabbed hold of Ji Hyo's hand to reassure her. "Listen, we help you because we love you. We're helping you because we don't ever expect anything back from you. Your life has finally found it's stability. Do Hyun is growing up so well and you're happily dating. You deserve this more than anyone I know." In Sung smiled. "You and I may have lost contact along the way in the past but we have always stayed close by making sure to talk here and there. From the time we filmed that other movie together, you have always remained as one of my closest friends." He chuckled a bit as he watched her expression. "Trust me when I say that Dong Wook doesn't consider you as a burden."

. . .

Jong Kook stared at his cell phone aimlessly as he looked at the time. He hasn't been able to catch any sleep. Driving back from Eun Hye's house to his took more than hour. It's already almost three in the morning, he has to get ready for work soon. Having no time on his hand, he put the cellphone down to rush and take a quick shower. Just as he was about to head toward the bathroom, he stopped once his phone started ringing. A smile spread across his face widely once he saw the caller id. "Ji Hyo."

Ji Hyo smiled. Is it too early?

"No." Jong Kook chose to lay down on the couch and sighed as he looked up at the ceiling. "I was going to call you later in the day once you fly back from Jeju."

Ah, I'm heading to the airport right now. She coughed quietly as she grabbed a water bottle. What are you doing?

"Nothing, just woke up." Jong Kook lied. There was a long pause as he didn't know what he could say. It has been almost a week since she has been gone for movie filming. Deciding to take charge for this one time, he cleared his throat. "I've missed you......a lot." he admitted.

Surprised by the sudden confession, she smiled to herself. I've missed you too.

"Really?" Jong Kook smiled. "That's good to know."

Looking at the seat next to her, she bit her lower lip. I bought you a present.

"What? You didn't have to, Ji Hyo." Jong Kook sat up on the couch. "Ah, now I have to get you something."

Oppa. Jong Kook froze and waited for her to finish speaking. Wait a minute, okay?

He chuckled as he checked the time on his watch. "Okay." From the other line, he could hear some rustling sound from whatever she is doing. A minute or two has passed, he started wondering what she is doing since it suddenly got too quiet. "Ji Hyo?" The sound of someone knocking on the door alarmed him. Getting up from the couch, he walked over to the door. "What..." Opening the door, he ended the phone call and smiled at Ji Hyo, who stood in front of him with a shy smile on. "Ji Hyo."

Ji Hyo cleared as she stood with a luggage in one hand and the gift bag in the other. "Surprise?"

Jong Kook never could understand how couples always say they miss each other when they don't see each other for only a few days. He always sensed as it was almost as ridiculous as eating fried chicken. But as he stand here across from Ji Hyo, he finally understood why other couples miss each other. It has only been a week since he has seen her but standing here, looking at her beautiful face - there is nothing else he wants to do besides hugging her. Without hesitation, he wrapped his arms around her waist. "Thank you."

"For what?" Ji Hyo muttered as she buried her head onto his shoulder as she hugged him back.

"For being here."

. . .

Ji Hyo smiled as she kissed the top of Do Hyun's head. "Have you been good?"

Do Hyun nodded his head. "Ahjussi and Ahjumma didn't have to do a thing around here."

"If you call cooking, cleaning, and helping homework is nothing." Dong Wook said as he walked out of the bathroom. He smiled once his eyes adverted over to Ji Hyo. "Sung Im, I've missed you." He wrapped his arms around her, "I thought you were going to be with Jong Kook hyung?"

"I forgot to ask about his schedule early, he has work." Ji Hyo said. She looks down at the giftbag that she didn't get to give him yet. "I'll be coming over tonight when he's done." Ji Hyo sat down and examined Dong Wook's face. "What are you going to do about this handsome face of yours?"

"Eh, it'll get better." Dong Wook winked as he sat on the couch next to her. "It's nice to have damaged done to my face. Shows people how tough I can be."

Ji Hyo punched his arm, narrowing her eyes at him. "Stop kidding around. You're shopping for your wedding clothes, this isn't the time for you to be walking around with a bruise face." She leaned her head against his shoulders and sighed. "I'm tired."

Dong Wook smiled as he closed his eyes. "You should sleep. Get enough rest before your little date tonight."

"Am I a burden?"

The sudden question threw Dong Wook off. He opened his eyes and looked down at Ji Hyo, confusion written all over his face. "What are you talking about?"

"I know it's crazy - "

"Of course it's crazy." Dong Wook interrupted her. He backed way, crossed his arms on his chest in an almost offensive way. "Why would I think of you as a burden?"

Ji Hyo sighed. "All I ever did for you in our friendship is probably pick you up when you're drunk at a bar or a party. It can never compare to what you have done for me." Her eyes start to look side to side uneasily. "You'e always there for me when I needed you most. Even at moments when I thought I didn't need you, you're there."

"Sung Im..."

Ji Hyo has spent most of her time in Jeju Island thinking about her friendship with Dong Wook. Although they have been friends for more than three years now, he has come to understand her more than she has about him. From day one, she became his worry, his problem and his life. In a few months or so, Lee Da Hae will be more a part of his life. She has to be his number one priority - not her or Do Hyun. He is going to be a married man, a man with a family. He shouldn't be going around punching people for another family. "Do you think sometimes that your life would be easier without me?"

Dong Wook blinked his eyes several times before he got up from the couch. "Maybe you're jetlag or a little sleepy but you're crazy. If anything, my life became easier once you entered in my life. Before then, I was just somebody who was living day by day as an actor. I was friends with a few people but I couldn't trust them. Once I knew you and found out that we shared so much in common - I was over the moon when we became best friends. You made me live a different life. I became an uncle to somebody. I became a part of a family that put so much care and love into each other." He took a step back, tears b against his eyes as he looks at her. "How could you sit here and say that I would think of you as a burden?!"

Do Hyun looked between Ji Hyo and Dong Wook, he has never seen Dong Wook raised his voice toward his mom like this. He put his toys down on the ground and stood up. His eyes shift between the two adults. "Mom? Ahjussi?"

"Are you mad?" Ji Hyo asked.

Dong Wook scoffed and shook his head. Taking his jacket and wallet off the coffee counter, he tries to give the best smile possible to Do Hyun. "Why would I ever be mad?"

She stood in silence and watch Dong Wook slammed the door behind him. Liar. He's definitely mad.

. . .

Jong Kook sat down on the couch and looked around the living room as he wait for Ji Hyo to come out from putting Do Hyun to sleep. The original plan was supposed to meet at his house for just an hour or two mini date. Suddenly, Ji Hyo called him about how she couldn't leave Do Hyun alone. "So he just walked out?"

"Yeah, I think he's mad." Ji Hyo walked over to the couch, taking a seat next to Jong Kook. "He never got mad at me before."

"I mean," he brushed a strand of hair away from her face as he smiled. "You called yourself a burden to him? Don't you think it would be an insult?"

"Insult? Why would he feel like that? I was just curious."

Jong Kook narrowed his eyes as he watched Ji Hyo's facial expression - the way her eyes were shifting left to right, the way she was clenching her hand tightly. "You're trying to push him away, aren't you?"

"Push him away? What?" She cleared . "Of course not."

"Ji Hyo," he sighed and shook his head. "You're the one that's scared of being a burden when he never thought of you like that. I may not understand your friendship with him that much but if there is something I do know, I know that Lee Dong Wook loves you so much. A lot more than he wants to. You're his bestfriend, one of the only people that he can truly trust and love in his life. I don't know," Jong Kook shrugged his shoulders. "I think you became someone with meaning for him."

"I don't understand."

"Dong Wook and I have been in the entertainment industry for a pretty long time now. Just a few years longer than you. Remember what I told you? You don't get to make or trust that much people when you're on the spotlight. And in yours and Dong Wook's line of work, you can't tell if someone is acting or not." Jong Kook held onto Ji Hyo's hands so she would stop shaking. "He buries everything he knows into your life because he wants to. Not because he is forced to or that he felt as if he had to. Bestfriend? Hm, I don't think he considers you like that, Ji Hyo. He views you as his little sister, as a family."

Ji Hyo shook her head. "That's why he has leave me and Do Hyun." She knit her eyebrows together, tears b against her eyes. "He's going to be married soon. Be someone's husband, a father to his own child. He needs to worry more about that new part of his life than about me. Don't you see what he does for me? He would punch someone without any hesitation. He would drrop anything in his life for me. I don't want him to do that for me anymore."

"Ji Hyo." Jong Kook stopped her, he leaned forward and kissed her gently on the lips. "If you have to push Dong Wook out of your life, you will have to push someone else too." Jong Kook eyes lingered longer on her. "Me."

"I..."

Jong Kook kissed her again. "What you're trying to do to Dong Wook is just like what you did to me months ago. Pushing people who care for you out of your life. Think about it, Ji Hyo." He held onto her hands tighter. "No matter how hard you're going to kick everyone out, we will still be here. Trust me, Dong Wook will call you back tomorrow as if nothing happened. Not because he was never mad at you, he definitely was. But because he feels as if he wants to."

. . .

Jong Kook smiled as he looked at the wallet in his hands, Ji Hyo gave him the gift last night before he left the house. It's like any other wallets that he has lined up in his drawer but something about this certain wallet meant a lot more to him. It has a simple design and just black in color. He could tell that Ji Hyo probably bought this wallet during one of her walk on the beaches in Jeju.

"Oppa." He looked up from his waiting room to see Eun Hye standing there again.

"Eun Hye," putting away the wallet in his back pocket. "You're supposed to be resting at home." He walked over to close the door. He leaned against the wall and sighed. "You can't just show up like this."

Eun Hye cleared as she rubbed her eyes. She hasn't been able to function since she woke up. "You have something of mine."

Jong Kook crossed his arms. "You're not going to get it."

"It's not yours!" Eun Hye screamed. She started twitching and breathing hard, trying to control her emotions. Immediately, she noticed how shaky her hands were. "Give it to me."

"No." Jong Kook said. "Until you walk out and get some help, I'm not going to give you anything."

"Why are you even bothering with this? Is this because I came to see you last night? I'm sorry!" Eun Hye rushed over, pleading eyes as she blinked. "I promise I won't come back, I wasn't in the right mind. Just give it to me!"

Jong Kook clenched onto her wrists. "YOON EUN HYE!" She didn't want to listen to him. Feeling as if she was about to burn up in the small room, she hurriedly and tried to search his pockets. "Eun Hye, what are you - " She reached his back pockets, taking the wallet out. One by one, she started to take out each and every credit card. "Your pills aren't in there."

Eun Hye glared at him. "Why do you care? You're the one that told me to leave you alone. And I am trying to do that now. Just give me my pills and I won't bother you anymore. It's what you wanted, right? You hate me, I get it." She nodded her head viciously as she started opening drawers from the table. "This is my punishment. At first, it didn't feel like much. The pills. But the more I took, the more I didn't feel the pain."

"What pain?"

"What other pain could there be? Losing my baby, losing....you." Eun Hye stopped, she clenched onto the chair - feeling as if she could pass out any second. She needed her pills now. If she could walk right up to the pharmacy and get a new one, she could. But that would only be suspicious for her in the spotlight. "Give me the pills, Kim Jong Kook!!!"

Jong Kook narrowed his eyes at her. "No."

"What do you want from me?!" Eun Hye begged.

"I want you to admit that you need help. I want you to realize that what is happening to you is your damn punishment."

Eun Hye scoffed. "Don't you think I know that?!" She walked closer to Jong Kook. "Give me the pills or I will do something bad."

"What could you do?"

"Isn't the question more like what can't I do?" Eun Hye questioned. "You've seen what I can do. Mulipulate the reporters in thinking you and I were dating, making people believe that I was heartbroken over a break up, making people hate Ji Hyo when she was just an innocent bystander. So, what can't I do?"

Jong Kook stood astonished. "You're being crazy."

"Do you honestly want to test me or give me those pills?"

"I already told you. You're not getting anything." Jong Kook repeated.

. . .

Ji Hyo waved over at Jong Kook as he rushed over to meet with her in the parking lot. "How was filming?"

Jong Kook hugged her. "Hm, it was okay. I'm just glad to see you. Thanks for picking me up."

She smiled. "What's wrong with you?" Pulling away from the hug, she looked down at his arms that was still wrapped around her. "Jong Kook?"

"Let's just say it's been a long day." He kissed her forehead gently. "Has Dong Wook called or came over the house?"

Ji Hyo shook her head. "It's for the best."

"You say that now but when you don't get to see him for more than three days, I think you'll lose it." Jong Kook suggested. His eyes adverted over to the front door of the KBS building, Eun Hye was walking out. He made eye contact with her before he returned his gaze over to Ji Hyo. "Come on, let's get dinner."

"It's late." Ji Hyo said. "Past eleven. Are you really willing to eat a late night snack?"

"If its with you, yes." Jong Kook smiled.

Just as they were getting into the car, the sound of footsteps caused Ji Hyo to turn around and jump slightly in surprise to see Eun Hye in front of her. "Eun Hye-ssi...."

Eun Hye smiled and waved at Ji Hyo's direction. "It's nice to see you again."

Ji Hyo cleared and nodded her head. "Yeah...what are you doing in KBS? How was China?" Ji Hyo tried her best to not think about the past issues that Jong kook had just shared with her a few weeks ago. It's none of her business to meddle into it.

"I came to see Jong Kook oppa..." Eun Hye laughed. "He and I were spending an hour or so in the waiting room, catching up on some stuff."

"Oh..." Ji Hyo glanced over at Jong Kook, who was ignoring her look as he focused more on his feet. "That's good. It's nice to see you guys catching up." Eun Hye started shaky and twitching, causing Ji Hyo hold onto her. "Are you okay?"

Eun Hye coughed and yanked Ji Hyo away from her. "Don't touch me!"

Jong Kook immediately rushed over to Ji Hyo's side. "Eun Hye-ah, you need to go home."

"Oh, right." Eun Hye nodded her head while scratching her temple. "Home. I have to go home."

Ji Hyo moved in closer to her. "We can take you home. You don't look okay. Come on," Ji Hyo grabbed hold of Eun Hye again, tigther this time. "Let's get in my car."

"No!" Eun Hye screamed even louder, pushing Ji Hyo away - causing her to fall onto the ground. "Don't you dare touch me!"

Groaning from the pain, Ji Hyo sat up from the ground and looked down at her elbow. Blood was gushing out. "Ah...."

"Ji Hyo!" Jong Kook was about to rush over to her help when Eun Hye held onto his hand. "What do you think you're doing?"

"My pills or I will hurt her more." Eun Hye demanded.

Jong Kook scoffed. "Get lost." He pulled his arm away, helping Ji Hyo up and into the car. Getting into the driver's seat, he sighed. "Don't worry about her, she's just probably tired from all the stress she's getting." He tried to explain to Ji Hyo. Starting the car, he drove out of the parking lot. His eyes glanced up to the rearview mirror to see Eun Hye standing at the same spot. "Are you okay?"

Ji Hyo nodded her head as she added pressure into the cut with a napkin. "I'm fine..." She cleared and looked at Jong Kook, his eyes were tense and his hands were clenching onto the steering wheel. "What about you?"

"Huh?" He blinked his eyes. "I'm okay."

. . .

Do Hyun opened the door and moved aside for Dong Wook to walk inside the house. "Thank you for coming."

"Well, you called for my help." Dong Wook looked at Do Hyun. "What is that you wanted to show me instead of your mom? You know, she and I are fighting right now."

"I know." Do Hyun walked over to the coffee table and pointed at the box that was just delievered a few minutes ago. "This box came."

"Okay?" Dong Wook walked over to it. "Maybe your mom ordered a new toy..."

Do Hyun stayed quiet for a few seconds before speaking up again. "It's from my dad....his name is Joo Ji Hoon, isn't it?"

"What?" Dong Wook immediately grabbed the box and looked at the sender's name. It is definitely from him. Taking out his car keys, he used the edge of the key to open the box. Tearing the cover out, Dong Wook knit his eyebrows in confusion as he stared at the picture. There was only one single picture inside the box and nothing else. His eyes widened at the picture. Automatically, Dong Wook folded the picture into his pocket so Do Hyun wouldn't see. "Where's your mom?"

"She's about to come home..." Do Hyun answered. "Ahjussi, what's in the box?"

"Nothing." Dong Wook forced himself to smile. "Don't worry about it." He turned his head over to the window where he saw headlights coming into the driveway. "I think she's home. I'll meet her downstairs. Just want to talk to her for a bit since I'm still mad at her." He rufffled Do Hyun's hair a few times before walking out of the house and rushing down the stairs to see her at the driveway.

Ji Hyo locked her cars and stopped in surpise. "Dong Wook..."

"What are you hiding from me?"

The sudden question caught Ji Hyo off guard. "I don't understand what you're talking about?"

"Since I walked out of your house last night, it gave me a lot of time to think about our friendship. I thought that I knew about every single little thing about you but I guess I don't." Dong Wook stared at her. "Are you hiding anything from me? Have you done anything in the past that you're ashamed of? What aren't you telling me, Ji Hyo?"

Ji Hyo stood there frozen, she just simply shook her head. "I'm not."

"Yeah?" Dong Wook sighed. "You know what's funny? That night when I punched Ji Hoon, he said something about knowing your secrets more than I did. At first, I thought he was bluffing and just trying to get on my nerves. That's what he does best, right? He said that he has things that can make him capable of taking Do Hyun away from you. What a joke." Dong Wook nodded his head. "That's why I beated him for you, that's why I punched him and risked everything about my career for you because he has no right to hurt you like that. No matter if what he thinks he knows is true or not, I would always be there for you. Because that's what best friends do for each other."

"I..what did he say?"

Dong Wook took a huge breath. "I want to be here for you, Ji Hyo. Being mad at your in the last 24 hours was almost torture for me. I hated every second of it. So, this is your last chance. No matter if it's true or not, please tell me. I will be here."

"What are you talking about? I don't know anything! I'm not hiding anything!" Ji Hyo insisted.

"Really?" Dong Wook took out the picture from his pocket and walked closer to her. Unfolding the picture, he showed it to her. "So tell me why there is a picture of you in bed with Director Shin, the one that used to work in that movie with you in 2008?"

Ji Hyo stepped back with horrified widened eyes as she stared at the picture. "I...where did you get that..."

"Ji Hyo....what have you done?"

 

 

A/N: Sorry for the late update! I tried to get this chapter done as fast as I could! Well, here it is! Sorry for making you all waiting! Thank you for all the beautiful comments! I love reading all of it! Thank you! I hope you like this chapter! Sorry for any mistakes!