The Unsettling Day

Undeniable Chemistry

There is an unsettling feeling about today that Jong Kook can't get rid of. His uneasy eyes keeps looking out the car window as they enter the highway toward Mokdong for the next Running Man filming. Something about today's weather was also unsettling - for a day where he feels as if something bad is going to happen, today's weather is really bright and sunny. 

"Hyung?" Jong Kook returned his attention over to his manager Kim Gap Jin, who was busy driving to the location. "You have a conference meeting with China on Friday. It's the contract negotiations about the commercial they want you in." Gap Jin adverted his eyes back over to the road. "It'll be in our company since we're not going to able to travel there this time." 

He nods his head. "Okay," Jong Kook managed to say as he rubbed his temples from a headache that's forming right now. All he can hope is that today's filming for the show will be done fast so he can go home and rest. Today is one of the rare days where he has nothing on his schedule besides filming. "Gap Jin-ah, is there an Advil near you?"

"Aniyo," Gap Jin quickly turns to take a brief look at Jong Kook. "Hyung, do you feel okay? Do you want me to stop driving for a bit?"

He shakes his head and just gestures for Gap Jin to continue driving. "It'll go away in a few seconds anyway." Jong Kook openes his eyes and look out toward the bright blue sky. Just what is it that I am feeling?

. . .

Ji Hyo takes a bite out of her sandwich as she looks over at the script that she is currently reviewing. It's been a crazy few weeks for her. When her manager came over with three different drama scripts, she knew that she was going to make a hard decision soon. Rubbing her sleepy eyes, she resisted the urge to yawn by taking another bite from her sandwich and watched as her manager park the car. "Thank you!" She jumps out of the van, carrying her sandwich and americano in tow. "Annyeonghaseyo," she said while bowing toward the Running Man crew. "Is today going to be fun?" She watches as some of the crew look away, pretending to fix their cameras. "Well then." 

"Unni, good morning." Ji Hyo's stylist greeted her with a small smile before she start fixing the shirt. "Everyone's been secretive with today's filming, I don't know why."

Ji Hyo looked around at the setting, trying to get the feel of it. "There's flower decoration everywhere, maybe someone important is the guest." The sound of her manager's footsteps became clear that he was coming to take her food and drink away. Avoiding his grip, she quickly bite down her sandwich before he finally took it away. "Don't throw it away like last time. It's a waste if you do, Oppa." 

"Aigoo, what am I going to do about that hunger of yours." He joked before walking away to put it safely in the car for her later. 

Ji Hyo smiled and turned around to take a closer look at the setting. Today's special guest must be someone important, usually when they do these kind of set ups - the guests are idols. 

"Ji Hyo-ah!" She turned around and bow toward Jae Suk. "Annyeong, you're here early." Jae Suk commented while patting the top of her head. "Thought you would still be sleeping at this time."

She laughed. "I was, practically woke up an hour ago." Ji Hyo greeted the audio director when he came over to mic them up. "How are you, Oppa?"

Jae Suk fixed his glasses as he wait for him to be next. "Me? I'm okay. Been tired for a while but work is work, you know?" He looked over at Ji Hyo. Since the day he met her, he knew that she was going to be someone as bright as the stars. But that comes with consequences - such as, schedules being piled up and up until it's unstoppable. She has dark circles under her eyes that can be seen if it weren't for her makeup. And being it is Song Ji Hyo, she is always makeup free - it breaks his heart to see JiHyo working so much but so little time. "Mong Ji, don't tell me you're looking for another drama to do?"

Ji Hyo nods her head. "I've got three offers and currently reviewing it right now. Why?"

"Make sure you get enough rest before you start up a new drama. Sometimes you make me worry." Jae Suk pats her head again and greeted the other crew members before the start of filming. 

The arrival of the other members caused the set to be loud and rowdy, just like any other week. Most of the conversations were quick catching up on what they did for the week or what interesting events occured. Most of the time only Lee Kwang Soo would have hilarious stories. After everyone was mic'd up and ready, Jae Suk and Suk Jin walked over to the PD to ask a few things about the filming. Seeing as how the Nation's MC will be conversing for a while, knowing just how he is - the other cast members stood around, playing on their phones.

Ji Hyo using this opportunity to look over the other drama script that she never got to, she skimmed through the lines to have the feel of the plot and the character that she will play if she takes the role. As she flips to the other page, a shadow appeared out of nowhere from behind her - causing Ji Hyo to clutch her hand over her heart as she looks up to see who it was. "YA! Kim Jong Kook!" She breathes heavily for a few seconds before grabbing the drama script from the ground. 

"Sorry," Jong Kook slightly laughs as he continues to rub his temples, trying to make the headache go away as fast as possible. "Didn't know your concentration for that script was like that." He knew that for some odd reason, he could scare her easily. It's always something fun to do while waiting for filming to start. "Is it a drama you see yourself doing?"

Ji Hyo stops reading and look at the script for a few seconds. "I don't know," she looked up at Jong Kook. "Do you see me playing the role of a lawyer?" 

"Hmm....are you going to be capable to say those big and difficult words?" he joked.

Ji Hyo rolled her eyes. "Aish, Hyung." She stands up when the PD gave a cue to start filming. "I don't know why I keep asking you these questions if you're not going to be serious." She gives Jong Kook a small shove before walking over to the center of the set. 

The only thing Jong Kook could do was shake his head and laugh. Besides scaring her, it's fun to tease Ji Hyo once in a while. Making his way over to the center of the set, he draped his arms around Haha and Gary, his two kids. "I heard you went clubbing last night." 

Haha and Gary both looked at each other before turning to look at their hyung. "Not me," Haha claimed with his hands up. "I have a wife and son." 

"Hyung, it wasn't even a club. It was like a small get together with my friends." Gary defended himself. "I called you to see if you could come, remember?" 

Jong Kook chuckled. "It's alright, it's not like you have to report everything you do outside of filming to me." 

Haha gave him a look. "Don't act so scary about it then." Laughter soon filled their conversation when Jong Kook tightened his gripped around their shoulders. "Ayeee, you know we're only kidding."

The PD held up his hand, dropping each finger as an indication the seconds down till filming. As soon as the pinky finger went down and cameras started rolling, the cast clapped their hands while looking around in curiosity. "So early in the morning, calling us out like this." Suk Jin playfully complained as he looked around the set. 

Jae Suk silently laugh when he caught Ji Hyo and Kwang Soo quietly fighting in the corner. "Ya, Giraffe! Why do you keep insisting on fighting with your Noona?" 

"Noona?" Kwang Soo looked over at Ji Hyo. "More like Song Ji Yok."

Ji Hyo immediately stepped out of her spot and did a flying kick towards Kwang Soo's . "YA! That nickname is so old!" She fixes her hair and starts huffing and puffing as she daggers her eyes at him. Soon, the small anger disappeared when she felt someone interlocking their hand with hers. She looks down to only see Gary staring at her with beaming eyes. "Let go of my hand!" Ji Hyo laughed out loud as soon as he tightened the grip on it. 

Jae Suk chuckled and looked toward the PD and crew members. "What are we doing in Mokdong?" 

"Hyung, is there a need to ask? Look at the flowers!" Kwang Soo answered. 

"Whoa! Idols?!" Haha screamed while clapping his hands. "Suzy!" 

Gary shakes my his head. "AOA!" 

The PD chuckled at the members guesses. "If you call out the guest, you will find out who it is." 

Not missing the chance to see idols, Haha and Gary rushes near to the flower deorations while calling out girl idols names nonstop. Jae Suk also couldn't hide the excitement in him as he stands next to his dongsaeng. "Guest! Please come out!" 

Jong Kook looked at the sudden flower bomb in the air. "What if it's a couple race today?" 

"Couple race?!" The male members repeated in excitement as they watch the curtains drape down, letting them only see the silhouette of the guest. Anyone who sees the silhouette will automatically know that it is definitely not a female guest for today. "Ayeeeeee!" The whole cast except for Ji Hyo exclaimed in denial. 

Ji Hyo jumps up and down with happiness all over as she pushes Haha and Gary away, letting her stand near the decorations but most importantly, near the unknown male guest. "Guest! Please come out!" 

Everyone leaned over Ji Hyo's shoulder to try and catch a glimpse of this special male guest. He has to be someone important and famous for the crew to make such flower decorations for him, right? As the music plays in the background, they watched as the guest waved hello - still hidden by the curtains. By the silhouette, they can already tell the guest was tall, almost model like. 

Anticipation builds as the music plays on and on. The lights behind the curtains turns off and then a pair of hands reach out to move the curtains aside, revealing who exactly it isn't. The male members gasped in admiration that someone like him would actually appear on the show. As they continue to clap nonstop, the guest walks down the stairs and shyly bow down to greet the members. With his tall build and gentle charisma, actor Joo Ji Hoon stands in front of everyone as he massages the back of his neck out of nervousness. 

Haha tried to rush over to the actor and give him a hug until Jae Suk and Jong Kook pulled him away. "Ji Hoon and I are close!" he lied. But in fact, Haha has always been a fan of the actor since the drama Goong. Instead of a hug, Haha bravely puts his hand out for a handshake which the actor returned. Covering his mouth from the shock, Haha could only manage to laugh from the amazement. 

As the members greet Ji Hoon happily with open arms, they seize to realize that only one person is standing in complete utter silence. Ji Hyo takes a look over at the crew, some of them making gesture for her to interact with the guest so she could be captured in the camera. Her eyes begin to shake furiously looking back and forth between the members at the left and over to her manager. Only he will be able to understand why she is like this - only he will understand the situation and try to tell her what to do. From the corner of her eyes, she could start seeing the PD looking at her, wondering why the hold up for her. 

Without much of a choice, she takes a deep breath and put on her actress face as she walks over, clapping her hands as she greets Ji Hoon as if they've been old buddies since their drama filming for 'Goong' in 2006. "Ji Hoon-ah," she said with a smile as they quickly embraced. 

Ji Hoon returned the smile. "Ji Hyo.." He cleared his throat and kept the smile on his face as he turns around and start to greet the audience by introducing himself toward the camera. "Annyeonghaseyo, I'm Joo Ji Hoon. I can't help but feel nervous on my first variety show. Please look after me well." 

"Yes," Jae Suk continued clapping. "PD, what are we doing with Ji Hoon-ssi today?" 

"Today's race will be in two teams," the PD start to explain. "It's the race for the gold." He flips over the paper in his hand. "You will be spending the day, trying to play games and get the real gold. Each time you finish your missions, you will choose between three bags with either fake or real gold in it. At the end of the race, whatever team has the most amount of gold will be rewarded to keep it all. Of course, dividing it within the team of four people after the win." 

Suk Jin looked over at Ji Hyo. "So it will be a good day to team up with Miss Gold over here, right?" 

Professionalism has always been Ji Hyo's advantage. No matter what she is feeling, she lets this facade take over - refusing to let anyone see through her. "Aniyo, Oppa. I don't want to be in the same team with you." Blocking out her urge to stop filming and talk to her manager, she smiled. "Can't this be an individual race?" 

"Tomorrow will be an individual race with Ji Hoon-ssi," the PD explained. "That is why it is very important to work together as a team for today's race. It may work in your advantage for tomorrow." He looks down at the paper. "The first team..." Everyone listened intently to hear what kind of team will there be. "Yoo Jae Suk, Joo Ji Hoon..."

"YES!" Jae Suk embraced Ji Hoon out of excitement and nodded his head in approvment. "We're all set." 

Ji Hyo stood in silence as she await for the PD to finish the first team announcement. I should be fine, right? Most of the time, they never pair her in the same team with the guests. They wouldn't start doing that now. "Haha and Song Ji Hyo will be with them." Her heart stopped for a second, she swears. Walking over to Jae Suk and Ji Hoon, she cleared as the PD continue talking. 

Jong Kook looked up toward the sun as the PD talked, it's not the sun that is bothering him. For some reason, he still can't put a finger on it but today there is still an unsettling feeling. Maybe it's not a feeling that he is actually feeling but it's something that someone is? His eyes darted between the members, looking at their expressions that they have on. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary for them. 

That was until he set his eyes on Ji Hyo. He watched as she silently continue to clap her hands as she listened. The way her smile wasn't that big but it was small enough to show - the kind of smile that you can't help but notice the uncomfortableness and nervousness in her. The way her eyes were continuously looking between her manager and the crew members - darting back and forth as if she was trying to send a message. 

It wasn't an unsettling day that he was feeling. It was a sign for him to know that there was something unsettling about Ji Hyo today. Which makes it even more confusing because she seemed fine just minutes before filming started.

Jae Zuk finished with his last joke for the introduction before the PD gave a sign to end the center filming and prepare for the VJ filming. Everyone dispersed toward the bathroom to change into their team outfits but Jong Kook still stood there as he watched the scene in front of him unfold.

Ji Hyo accidentally bumped into Ji Hoon as they reached for their change of clothes at the same time. "I'm sorry, Ji Ho-ah."  

The way her eyes glared at him, it's something Jong Kook has never seen in his five years of knowing her. It's almost frighteningly scary and not the kind of scary that the show portrays her as. "Sorry? Sorry for coming here or sorry for.." Ji Hyo looked over at the crew members that were staring, wondering why there is a sudden tension between them. "I can't do this here." Ji Hoon tried to grab onto her arm to keep her walking away but he failed to do so. He turned around to face Jong Kook, with his team outfit gripping in his hands. 

They both stood and stared at each other for a few seconds before one of them bow down to get rid of the awkwardness in the air. As he watched Ji Hoon walk past him to the male bathroom, Jong Kook has figured two things out. 

Whatever happened between Ji Hyo and Ji Hoon in the past, it is definitely something that she doesn't want anyone to know or find out. What Jong Kook definitely knows for sure, he is going to find out who exactly is this Joo Ji Hoon person. 

. . .