It Hurts

Undeniable Chemistry

It's hitting the fifth hour mark of Running Man filming since they have began. As it's a special day to have everyone back from such a long break, today is just a day with the cast and no guests. When the second mission of the day was done, the cast and crew to take a two hour break for lunch. Despite being away from one another for so long, the connection and family vibe within everyone still exists. Each memmber would help and care for one another behind the scenes. The members would hold onto each other when the cameras aren't rolling since they understand injuries could possibly happen. Everything seems to be going back to normal - everything except for one thing.

The awkward and silent air between Jong Kook and Ji Hyo was noticed by everyone. No matter how hard they tried to interact together during the games, it ended being awkward. Ji Hyo would avoid having any type of physical contact with Jong Kook while he would try to intitate when he could. By the time the first mission game was over, Jae Suk and Suk Jin had to keep their eyes on them. A the older hyungs of the cast, they felt almost responsible for these two. It hurts them to see these two, who used to be so close and friendly turning out this way. Around the second mission, the other members seem to have gotten the message and also tried their best to keep the mood during filming as it used to be. Jokes were thrown here and there. Silly dances were acted out to make everyone laugh. Everyone honestly tried their best.

"Ji Hyo-ah," Jae Suk made his way over to her side of the table in the restaurant. "Are you uncomfortable?"

She simply shook her head and gave him a smile. "No. I'm just tired. I'm sorry."

"No, don't be sorry." Jae Suk cleared his throat and gave her a smile. "If there is anything, you can tell me. I know I've probably repeated it ten times now but just please do if you want to. You know I would be the last person to judge you." He watched as Ji Hyo gave him another smile. It hurts him to see her like this. "How's Do Hyun?"

"Do Hyun's good. Just busy with school." She started playing with the leftover food she has left in her bowl. "He..." she bit her lip, not knowing if she should really share this. But if she doesn't, she'll feel awful about it. "Dong Wook said that Do Hyun would like to see his dad."

Jae Suk raised an eyebrow up from surprise. "Joo Ji Hoon-ssi?" She nods her head as a response. "Does Do Hyun actually know who he is?"

"They met once, it wasn't a very ideal first meeting between them but he knows how his dad looks like." Ji Hyo paused. "He knows what his dad does for a living."

"Ji Hyo." Jae Suk took the chopsticks away from her so she wouldn't play with the food anymore. "I know that with everything that has been happening, you must be stress. Not to mention, you barely just finished your drama filming. Everyone has forgotten or at least doesn't care about you and Do Hyun anymore in this country. With the Olympics going on and the whole issue we have around the world, I can tell you that how netizens think about is the least of your worries. Just kow that we, the crew and cast, love and care for your little family. Because we're your family." Jae Suk handed her a tissue once he saw tears b against her eyes. "And because I'm your family and I try my best to help you the best way possible - I try not to tell you what to do. At the end of the day, it's your business." He paused for a little bit. "But as your oppa, I think it's for the best if you let Do Hyun meet Joo Ji Hoon-ssi at least once. Let him meet his dad. A kid has to know about their father, just like how he knows his mother."

Ji Hyo closed her eyes. "But what if he feeds Do Hyun with lies? When Dong Wook told me what Do Hyun said, I couldn't shake off my fear. I don't want to stop my son's wish on seeing his own dad but I am scared."

"What are you scared of? That Do Hyun will love his father more? That Do Hyun would believe in his father's words more?" Jae Suk puts his hand over her hand on the table to give her reassurance. "Do Hyun loves you so much, Ji Hyo. That little boy would do anything for you. I doubt anything bad will happen."

"Really?"

Jae Suk chuckled. "Yes." From the corner of his eyes, he could see Myuk PD going around to tell them to get ready for the second half of filming. His eyes adverted over to Jong Kook, who was over at the corner of the otherside of the restaurant. "Are you mad at Jong Kook?"

There was a long silence. "No."

"Do you feel awkward?"

Ji Hyo looked up from the table to see Jong Kook already staring at her, she looked away immediately. "I don't know."

Jae Suk stood up from his seat. "Maybe you should talk to him. Get the awkward air out of the way for next week's filming."

. . .

"Good work! Good work!" The cast and crew said while bidding their goodbyes for the day. "See you tomorrow!"

Kwang Soo and Haha waved goodbye to each other before getting into their own vans, both of a schedule in an hour so they have to leave immediately after filming. Suk Jin and Jae Suk decided to have dinner together with their families so they're heading off to the same van together. The only ones left standing were Gary, Jong Kook, and Ji Hyo. Gary looked at the two people in front of them, crossing his arms. "Are you guys hungry? Want to grab a bit together?"

Ji Hyo shook her head. "I have to go home."

Jong Kook watched as she start heading off toward her van. "Gary-ah, I'll see you later."

Gary turned around. "Hyung!"

"Yeah?"

Holding up both his hands in the air, he gave Jong Kook a smile. "Fighting!"

Jong Kook lets out a small chuckle before catching up to Ji Hyo before she could get inside the van. "Ji Hyo.."

Ji Hyo halts her steps and turns around. "Yes?"

"Uh..." he looks around, trying gather his words together. "Do you..." Jong Kook cleared his throat. "What I want to say is.."

"Hyung. Do you want drink some tea before you head back to Anyang?" Ji Hyo asked.

Jong Kook blinked in surprise. "I do."

. . .

Both Jong Kook and Ji Hyo decided to have tea at her house since there will be nobody home and the reporters hasn't stayed overnight outside her house like they did before anymore. As Jong Kook took a sip of the tea that she made for him, he looked around the living room. Nothing much has changed. But then again - what could possibly change in one month?

"Hyung.." Ji Hyo start out saying as she puts down her cup of tea. "About what happened..."

"It was a mistake," Jong Kook interrupted her. He tried his best to smile toward her while finishing his tea. "I was probably going through a mix of emotions because I just left Eun Hye's house and.."

"You were at Eun Hye-ssi's house?"

Jong Kook stopped talking and looked at Ji Hyo. "Yeah. Before I came to Dong Wook's birthday party. I had something to say to her so I went. I wasn't exactly in the right mind or emotion to think right when I was at the party. It could explain about my behavior or...what I did to you on the balcony." He's lying. No matter what Jae Suk said, he kept thinking about his action that night. And no matter how he tried to rationalize that kiss, his action, or his feelings - it's all the same. That it was the right thing to do because it definitely confirmed his feelings for Ji Hyo. He was always on the balance if he really is starting to like her or not. "Sorry." Jong Kook finished up his lie while looking at her. He definitely likes her, alot more than he expected. If Ji Hyo is uncomfortable right now, he will try to understand how she feels. What bothers him the most is the fact that she is awkward with him now. He wants to go back to the way it was between them. Where they can comfortably laugh and smile together. Where they can share all their insecurites together.

Ji Hyo finally lets out a smile. "No. Don't be sorry. A mistake is a mistake."

A bullet straight through his heart. "Of course. A mistake." Jong Kook smiled back as he held his hands together. "Where exactly is Do Hyun?"

"With Dong Wook. He's going to spend the night there since Dong Wook and Dae Hae-ssi has to go tuexdo shopping tomorrow morning." Ji Hyo answered. "They're giving me the night to myself."

"That's good." Jong Kook cleared his throat. "I've been watching your drama well." He knew that it wouldn't be the best topic to start off since they're not awkward anymore but there was something he wanted to know for a while now. "Has Joo Ji Hoon-si been bothering you?"

Ji Hyo looked at him. "I wouldn't call it bothering, his actions or attitude has simmered down but it makes me worry more." She starts collecting the cups to put them in the dishwasher. "As if he has something else planned in the back of his head."

Jong Kook watched as she walked over to the kitchen. "Are you scared? That he might reveal to the media that he is Do Hyun's father?"

"No." She knows that Joo Ji Hoon would never do that especially with the newfound popularity he has been recieving from their drama. "His fame is more important than anything else."

"Would you want Do Hyun to have him in his life? As a father?"

Ji Hyo turned around and shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know." She stared at Jong Kook with worrisome eyes. "Would it be selfish thing if I want Do Hyun to stay away from him?"

Jong Kook was about to answer but held back his answer. "You're doing what you think what is best for your son."

"So it is selfish of me to think so." She confirmed by the expression on Jong Kook's face. She exhaled deeply and looked around at the pictures she has displayed on the walls. There are pictures of her and Do Hyun, Do Hyun and Dong Wook, with her family. Do Hyun has probably met every single important peron in his life with the exception of his father. How would it be like if Do Hyun hangs out with him? Gets to know how Joo Ji Hoon is? Would everything start changing? She knows its practically crazy or even selfish of her for not letting Joo Ji Hoon see Do Hyun because of what she went through with him. Or is it because she is scared that Do Hyun might leave her? "Dong Wook thinks I should let Ji Hoon see Do Hyun."

"That's..."

"So Do Hyun could see how awful his father is." Ji Hyo finished saying. It is just like her best friend to think just like her. Dong Wook is as scared as she is about this dilemma.

Jong Kook stood up from the couch. "I thin you should do what you feel is right. If right now, you think it's merely impossible for Ji Hoon and Do Hyun to be in the same room together, don't do it. When you think the time's right, do it." He gives her a smile. "Do what you think is best for Do Hyun."

Ji Hyo felt such ease to hear an advice from Jong Kook. She has missed these small moments that they share together. During the whole month, she has lingered around with the cellphone in her hand - debating if she should call Jong Kook or not. There were mixed feelings about everything. She doesn't exactly knows how she felt about the kiss. It was just so sudden. Something inside of her tells her that it's wrong. Whatever Jong Kook must've felt to do something like that, she didn't feel that. To her, despite what Dong Wook believes, she doesn't think she likes Jong Kook. She still views him as another older hyung. Someone she can just merely talk and get advice from. Maybe from that short amount of time she has spent at his house, there was this small spark that ignited but that was just that. As of right now, as they stand in the same room together alone, she doesn't feel anything. "Thank you."

"You're welcome. Anytime." Jong Kook cleared his throat. "What are hyungs for, right?" The fact that Ji Hyo noddded her happily at the word hyung caused felt like another bullet has shot through his heart. He doesn't know how exactly he should feel with this situation right now. They're okay now. Back to how everything was. With only one problem, he's not just liking her alot. He's falling deeply in love with her and he doesn't know how to stop these feelings.

. . .

"Do Hyun!" Ji Hyo called out as she placed breakfast on the table. "You have to eat! School is starting soon! Uncle Dong Wook is going to come and pick you up."

Do Hyun rushes over and jumps onto the bar stoool near the kitchen counter to eat his breakfast. "Ahjussi."

Ji Hyo lets out a small laugh. "Ahjussi and Ahjuma isn't that far off with my age, Do Hyun-ah. Don't you think you're hurrting their feelings when you keep calling them that?"

"No."

She has given up. Putting a cup of orange juice near his side, she looked at Do Hyun. "Remember Dong Wook ahjussi is going to pick you up after school. I have a meeting so I won't be able to."

Do Hyun smiled. "Can I get a new toy?"

Narrowing her eyes at him, she sighed. "Just one more new toy and no more for the month. Dong Wook spoils you too much."

"Thanks."

Ji Hyo looked at the time on her watch. She has a meeting with her manager and a movie production crew soon. Even with the success of the drama, Ji Hoon has been the one that's recieving the love and new offers for commericals tha her. Honestly, she doesn't really mind about it. Gives her more time for herself more than anything. But she can't rest for long because she has Do Hyun to feed. Thinking that it's best to start filming for a new movie - it was the perfect timing since a director has called her out to work on a new movie together.

"Ahjussi is here!" Dong Wook announced while opening the front door. He made his way over to Ji Hyo, hugging and kissing the top of her head like he usually does. Handing her an iced americano, he took a sip of his own. "Do Hyun, how do you feel if I buy you a toy afterschool?"

She groaned and looked at Dong Wook. "Stop spoiling him!"

. . .

Jong Kook took off his sunglasses as soon as the van started driving away from the airport terminal in China. He spent almost twenty minutes trying to get out of the airport because of all the fans that were blocking the way. He loves the fans, they give so much love and support. But sometimes he wishes that they could respect how other people may feel in the airport. Taking a deep breath, he took a look at his cellphone. Mickey and I aren't at the hotel. Meet you there later. Sending a text message back, he quietly put his phone away to rest his eyes. Mickey and Kim Jung Nam travelled to China first since he had other business to handle before coming here. The show that they have to film for tomorrow starts at seven in the morning. He has at least a good twelve hours to just sleep. His eyes squint open when he heard his phone beep informing about a text message. Thinking it was from Jung Nam hyung, he took a look at the message. You're in China. Meet me here, I'll wait for you. Jong Kook exhaled deeply, seeing that it was from Eun Hye instead. "Gap Jin-ah, tell the driver that I need to go somewhere before the hotel."

Gap Jin turned around from the passenger seat and looked at him. "Is it important?"

"I don't know yet."

. . .

Jong Kook greeted the staff at the restaurant before he made his way over to the corner of the building, where Yoon Eun Hye was sitting and waiting for him. Eun Hye turned around and gave him a smile. "It's been a while."

"Yeah, I've been hearing that a lot." Jong Kook placed both hands on the table as he looked around. "What is it that you want to talk about?"

"How's your day?" Eun Hye dodged the question as she opened her menu. "Are you jetlagged? Hm, are you hungry? You should be."

"Eun Hye-ah." Jong Kook said calmly. "You said you had important to share."

She dropped the menu. "Can we just have dinner together?" Eun Hye could tell Jong Kook was a bit annoyed about being dragged out all the way here. "I promise I'll tell you after we eat."

Jong Kook exhaled. "Alright."

. . .

"If we start filming the movie around November, would that conflict with anything?" Director Park asked as he handed over the final draft for the movie script. "Since the setting should be winter like, we want to get as much snow as we can."

Ji Hyo skimmed through the script and shaking her head. "It wouldn't be a problem. Thank you for considering me for this movie."

Dirctor Park smiled. "It's not a problem. It'll be fun to do this movie with you. When the writer and I had a discussion on who would fit best for this movie, we thought of you."

"Thanks." Ji Hyo got up from her seat. "Do you know who's playing the leading guy?" She never usually asks these type of questions but considering what happened last time, she wouldn't want Ji Hoon to be opposite of her once again.

"Ah, you should know him well." Director Park checked his watch. "Because he's so busy, he can only come in for a few minutes to get the script and meet you."

She nodded her head as she start thinking of all the people that she knows "well". Suddenly, the door to the conference room opened and Jo In Sung walked in with a bright smile on his face. "Chun Sung Im!"

A bright smile spread across her face as she rushed over to give In Sung a hug. It feels good to know that she's going to be working with him again. Although, they don't contact as much with each other since the film they did back then. They still occasionally talk when they can. The friendship that she has with Jo In Sung is almost like Dong Wook, just not as close. They respect each other and share deep bond that doesn't need to be spoken. When she found out that Kwang Soo was close friends with In Sung, she was happy. "Jo In Sung!"

In Sung chuckled and bowed to greet the director. "We'll work hard!"

Director Park smiled and nodded his head. "You have to! It's going to be an emotional movie, bring your best work to set next month!"

Ji Hyo smiled and bid goodbye to the director before turning her full attention over to In Sung. "Oppa!"

In Sung tousled around her hair before grabbing his movie script from the table. "Ya! I didn't know I was going to be working with you until this morning! I'm as surprised as you are, Sung Im-ah." He gave her another hug. "How have you been? How's Do Hyun?"

"He's good, he's in school right now." Ji Hyo smiled.

"Aren't we close?" In Sung sounded almost offended. "How come I had to find out about your kid through the news? I was upset. You know how much toys I could've bought for that boy." In Sung shook his head. "I'm just going have to buy twice the amount of toys I have planned for Do Hyun."

Ji Hyo sighed. "Why are all my male friends like this?"

. . .

Almost an hour has passed by since they started eating, no words being exchanged between them. Eun Hye spent most of the time trying to start conversation while hiding her face from the staff. He was just busy trying to finish all this food and replying her simply with just a word here and there. "Oppa..." she put down her fork and smiled at him. "I have something to show you."

Jong Kook took a sip of his water and watched as Eun Hye slid a picture across the table. His eyebrows knit together when he took a closer look, realizing that its an ultrasound. "What..."

"My baby.."

He looked at her in disbelief. "Who's the father?" Jong Kook could see that Eun Hye was debating on whether she could tell or not. "Is this why you're here instead of back home? Hiding away?" He took the ultrasound and looked at the baby. "How long are you?"

"Oppa." Eun Hye muttered softly. "Look at the date."

Jong Kook's eyes adverted over to the date on the ultrasound. March 2005. "What is this?"

"Remember when I said that I thought I wasn't pregnant? That it was just a scare?" Eun Hye closed her eyes, tears flowing down her face. "I was really pregnant with our baby."

The ultrasound dropped from his hands. "What are you trying to say?" All along, he thought that Eun Hye only had a pregnant scare. That she was so busy with her newfound fame that she just thought she was pregnant. The saddness of not being able to be a father ruined him for months. It became even worse when they broke up. "You were pregnant all along?"
Eun Hye nodded her head. "I'm sorry."

"Where's our baby? Where's our kid then?" Jong Kook asked. "Our kid has be ten years old now, right?" He looked around the restaurant, thinking his kid will walk over. "Eun Hye.."

"I only lied to you about it being a scare because I didn't want to hurt you."

"Why? Why would you say its a scare when you were clearly about to have a baby?"

Eun Hye hid her face as she cried. "Because I gave the baby up."

It was like his heart dropped onto the ground and he watched it being stomped over and over again. "Gave the baby up? As in adoption?" When Eun Hye shook her head, he didn't want to believe in the worst. "Please tell me you had the baby and gave the baby up. Please tell me that."

"Does it make sense, Oppa? I had to film Goong months later, you....I..." Eun Hye took a deep breath. "I'm sorry."

"Does it make sense?" Jong Kook stood up from the chair abruptly. "Does it make sense that you did what you did? YOU TOOK AN ULTRASOUND! YOU SAW HOW YOUR BABY LOOKED LIKE! And you just did what you did without even considering about me?"

Eun Hye tried her best to grab hold of him. "Oppa..."

Jong Kook stared at her with a glare. "I just found out that I almost had a kid all along. ALMOST. Does that sound normal to you?" Without another word, he walked off the restaurant with the ultrasound in his hands.

. . .

Ji Hyo and Dong Wook looked over the pictures that he took from his cellphone, they were checking which tuxedo would fit better for him. "Hm, what does Dae Hae-ssi think about this one?"

"She doesn't like the bowtie."

"Then wear a tie." Ji Hyo suggested.

"She says that it will ruin the tux." Dong Wook sounded tired, as if the wedding preparations has already made him feel sick.

Ji Hyo laughed when she saw her best friend's face. "Aigoo, what will we do with you?"

Dong Wook leaned his head against her shoulder. "Ji Hyo. Save me."

"You're the one that presented the ring." Ji Hyo joked. "Hold on." Taking her phone out her back pockets once she heard her ringtone, she picked it up. "Yes, hyung."

Jong Kook closed his eyes as he leaned his head against the backboard of the hotel bed. "Ji Hyo-ah..."

"Yes?"

Tears stream down his face as he looked at the ultrasound. "It hurts."

She didn't like the sound of his voice, there is something wrong with Jong Kook. Walking over to the balcony, she closed the doors. "Is there something wrong?"

"I never knew I could hurt this much."
Ji Hyo looked up at the stars. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"No." Jong Kook muttered. "Can you just...please stay on the line with me?"
"Should I be worried about you?"

Jong Kook lets out a small chuckle as he wipe his tears. "I don't know."

"Should I call Jae Suk oppa?"

He knew that what he's about to say will probably ruin everything that he barely just fixed. He will probably not see Ji Hyo anymmore, he will probably lose the small chance that he got by fixing their friendship. But right now, as of this moment - he doesn't care. "Just hearing your voice makes me feel better."

Ji Hyo blinked in surprise as she held onto the phone. "Jong.."

"Ji Hyo-ah, just for tonight. Stay on the phone with me....just for the night."

"Okay..."

Jong Kook slid down onto the bed, laying the side of his head onto the pillow as he continues to stare at the ultrasound. The sound of Ji Hyo's breathing through the phone is soothing him. Just knowing that she is on the other side of the phone is alot more calming than anything.

And that is all he needs at this moment.

 

 

A/N: Thank you so much for the comments! I love reading all of it so please continue on commenting, thank you! I hope you like this chapter! Sorry for any mistakes!