Protecting Her

Undeniable Chemistry

"You're a bit surprised, aren't you?" Dong Wook asked as he watched Do Hyun running around on the front yard with his grandparents. Everyone in the house with the exception of Ji Hoon were kicked out so Ji Hyo could talk to him alone. It has only been twenty minutes. As each minute go by, Dong Wook feels a lot anxious than the minute before. As her best friend, he feels completely useless in this kind of situation. He was supposed to protect and watch over her family because he made a promise. The promise that tightened their friendship two years ago. For some reason right now, he feels as if he has been a disappointment to her. 

 
Jong Kook watched Do Hyun laugh and jump around as if he was having the best time ever. He could see a little of Ji Hyo's personality inside the kid. It's a wonderful thing to watch - a child looking and being so much like their parents. Makes him wonder how his child one day will be like. "I'm surprised, yes." He looked at Dong Wook, wondering how long has the actor known about this secret. "Were you?" 
 
Dong Wook thought back to the moment when Ji Hyo had told him about her family and the secret within it. When they filmed 'Mandate of Heaven' together, he would always see her secretly go off somewhere for an hour or so. Usually when actresses are given a long break like that during a grueling drama filming, they would take a nap. Ji Hyo was different. She would write a list of things to buy - the kind of list that only parents would write. She goes off to different stores to find the right brand and then disappear for that one hour. And each time when she comes back, she's a lot more happier and refreshed. Ji Hyo isn't dumb, she knew that he knew all along and instead of avoiding it - she told him because she trusted him. Sure, knowing that she is a mother of a eight year old was shocking but he was alright with it. "I think it was brave of her to make the decision on her own." He glanced over to the house, curious on what they are talking about. "It was tough but she managed, just as anyone would expect an ace would." 
 
"It is like her," Jong Kook commented as he watched the two shadows in the house walk around and arguing. "I just can't believe that the father is Ji Hoon."
 
"There's a lot more that you won't believe." Dong Wook muttered. 
 
. . . 
 
"What's your motive?" Ji Hyo asked as she took a seat on the couch, rubbing her temples as she had a headache. She can only assume that the headache would go away as soon as Ji Hoon leave. "Because I definitely know that you're not taking my son away." 
 
"He's my son too." Ji Hoon argued back.
 
Ji Hyo narrowed her eyes at him. "Over my dead body." She cleared and looked at him up and down. "Are you delusional or forgetful? If I remember right, you're the one that wanted to be famous and climb on top without anyone trying to ruin your life." She snapped her fingers. "And I made it happen like that. You didn't have to know about him and I don't have to worry about 'invading your life' by ruining it." 
 
Ji Hoon laughed. "Don't twist my words around." 
 
"Twist your words around?" She repeated while glaring at him. "You kicked me out of the damn car! On the middle of the highway!"
 
"You shouldn't have gotten off the car then." 
 
Ji Hyo scoffed and rolled her eyes. "Says the person that pushed me off the car." She got up from the couch and walked over to him. "What is it, Ji Hoon? Why are you suddenly walking in here, announcing that you want a kid that you never wanted?" 
 
"You don't need to know the reason," Ji Hoon replied. "All you need to do is give me the kid." He touched Ji Hyo's face, which she didn't expect him to do. "I promise I'll take care of him." The way he was caressing her cheeks with his thumb made her uncomfortable and startling scared. 
 
She pulled away from him. "What's wrong with you? It's like I'm seeing four different versions in one person. You're nice and sweet for months, rude for the next years, clumsy and fidgeting this week and now you're acting compassionate?" It's strange yet scary at the same time. And being scared of someone like Joo Ji Hoon? That's ridiculous. This reminds her of the drama that just ended with Ji Sung Sunbaenim. "He's staying with me. Just leave. Forget that you know about him and leave us alone." Ji Hyo was about to push him out the door when he grabbed onto her arm really tight, the grip was strong enough to make her winced in pain. "Ji Hoon.."
 
"Do Hyun is my son and I need him to be with me." Ji Hoon argued. "A kid needs to know his own father too. You can't be selfish and keep him in secrecy anymore. The world needs to know that he exist. It will turn bad if you keep this secret going - who knows what it would do to you."
 
Ji Hyo was about to argue back when she suddenly realized something. It's as if a light bulb went off in her head because she looked up at him, examining his expression and emotions that he is showing right now. She has seen the same exact thing nine years ago. The desperation in his voice, the strength his arms are showing, and the facial expressions - how could she ever forget that? "You're not doing this because you feel bad for him. You're doing this because of your own selfishness!" She shoved him away with her eyes flaring with extreme anger. 
 
Ji Hoon let out a small chuckle as he shook his head. "What are you talking about? I'm doing this because I found out that I'm an actual dad to someone and I want to show him the world. I want to be there for him from all the years I've missed." 
 
"Liar," she said through her teeth. "You think I'm the only one with the bad acting?" Ji Hyo grabbed onto his arm, trying her hardest to shove him out of the house. "I don't know what you were thinking coming to my parent's house but you need to leave. Do Hyun? You're not getting him! Get out!" 
 
He's had enough. With one pull, he caused Ji Hyo to fall harshly onto the ground. Ji Hoon exhaled and bent down, not even handing his hand to help her up. Making a tsking sound with his mouth as he shake his head. "I'm disappointed in you, thought you were a whole lot smarter. You think you're going to be able to hide the truth from the world? What do you think is going to happen when the secret is out? Song Ji Hyo, a mother of an eight year old, hidden from the world because she's ashamed of him." She glared him, he knows that she would never be ashamed of Do Hyun. He's making his own twist of words as he smirked down at her, touching her hair in the process. "Watch, Miss Song. I will get our boy and I will announce to the world that I decided to adopt a young boy in need. Sadly, his mother didn't love him enough. Always leaving him at home while she goes off and flirt wit other guys for a living." Shaking his head as if he was really disappointed in her or something. "What a shame." 
 
"You're sick," Ji Hyo said in a literal sense and probably mental capability sense. "You need help." His own greed for the glory and fame has gotten so much in his head that he is willing to do anything for it.
 
"Ji Hyo-ah, I never wanted to go this far." Ji Hoon whispered. "Honestly? I knew about him for a long time now." He put his hands together as he closed his eyes to gather his thoughts. "I just didn't bother to think about it because I had a lot more important things to do. Damn, nine years flew by and our kid is already eight, almost nine!" 
 
Ji Hyo closed her eyes, wishing that he would just leave. "If you knew all along like you said, why now?" She opened her eyes and watched as his expression changed. "It's because your shining light is dimming out, isn't it? You're not as popular as you are anymore since 'Goong'. The dramas you've chosen has all been failure and no one is remembering you as the star you want to be." She couldn't believe that he actually had the brains to think out a plan like this. "And you want to use Do Hyun as a ploy, a kind gesture plot that the whole nation will admire you about. A single man adopting a kid out of nowhere because he wants to take care of one despite of no marriage? Wow, that's admiration right there." 
 
"I knew you weren't dumb," Ji Hoon smiled, finally getting her understanding. "Play along with me on this one. We can have fame within our grasp." He leaned even closer to her, his lips practically inches apart. "We can even be together." Clapping his hands together as the ideas were getting into his head much better and clearer. "I can use our son as a ploy and earn my way back up toward the nation's heart. Who is going to know that he is my son when I'm just going to say that I adopted him secrecy? Ha, it's brilliant."
 
"Jinja?" Ji Hyo smirked back as she leaned closer to his ears, speaking in a soft whispering tone for her next words. "If we do this, we can finally be together?" 
 
He looked at her, watching her expression change - she was smiling as if she was really happy. He looked down at the way she was holding out her hand. Ji Hoon gladly took it and helped her up from the ground. "If you want, we did have an amazing nine months together." 
 
"We did." She nodded her head and watched as Ji Hoon laughed at her agreement. "Ji Hoon-ah," once he stopped laughing and gave his full attention toward her, she smiled one last time before she slapped him hard across the face. "Jerk." She marched her strong steps toward him, causing him to back up against the wall. "You want to use my son as a fame catcher? You want to use my son as a pity award? I feel sorry for you, Ji Hoon. Because even after nine long years, you still haven't changed one bit." 
 
Ji Hoon scoffed. "You think you can stop me?" 
 
"And you think I'm just going to let you use my son?" She held up her cellphone and pressed play to a recording app on her phone. I can use our son as a ploy and earn my way back up toward the nation's heart. Who is going to know that he is my son when I'm just going to say that I adopted him secrecy? Ha, it's brilliant. His eyes widened at the sound of his voice from the recorder, when did she record that? "You're right, I'm not as dumb as you think." Pulling onto his ear, she opened the front door so fast that it surprised everyone outside as they paused what they were doing and watched the scene in front of them. "If you step foot near my family again, I will find you. No, just your luck. We have a drama to finish for the next three months. I will watch you like a hawk. When you think I'm not watching, I am. When you think I'm not there, I am." She gave him a kick on the , making Ji Hoon surprisingly fall down onto the grass. "Joo Ji Hoon, do you know what words I hate the most?" Tears were b in Ji Hyo's eyes as she stared at him. "Everything will be forgiven. You remember those words? You should because you said it twice to my face. The night I told you that I was pregnant and the night after the script reading. I hate those words so damn much." She pounded her heart as tears burst out, she can't control them anymore. "Not everything can be forgiven, some can but some can't." With a shaky tone as she breathed in and out, she glared at him. "And you definitely can never be forgiven. Not only have you made it worse by proving it even more tonight but you have set a whole new level of disappointment for me and Do Hyun."
 
He stood up from the ground and was about to walk back over to her when a pair of strong arms stopped him. Ji Hoon turned to see Jong Kook standing next to him. "What is this? A parade of men to protect the woman they desperately love?" 
 
Jong Kook cleared his throat. "You might want to take a few steps back and walk away from this. You're only making it worse, kid." He could sense that Ji Hoon wasn't going to listen so instead Jong Kook gripped onto his arms tighter, making him slightly in pain. "Go." Without much of a choice since Dong Wook and Jong Kook were both crowding him, Ji Hoon gave up and walked over to his car, vanishing out of sight. Jong Kook looked over at Ji Hyo as she was still visibly shaking and trembling. "Are you okay?" Ji Hyo nodded her head while giving them a brief smile. Just as he felt reassured that she was fine, Jong Kook watched in horror when she dropped from the stairs. "JI HYO!"
 
. . . 
 
"My brother said that she probably passed out because of the all nighters she was pulling for the drama and it looks like she hasn't eaten all day besides the pieces of candies." Jong Kook explained after getting off the phone with his older brother. He exhaled deeply and smiled softly over at her parents. "I'm sorry for coming uninvited today."
 
Her parents reassured that he was fine with a nod before they walked into their bedroom to sleep due to the time. Dong Wook sat down on the couch and just shook his head continuously, not believing that today actually happened. "I can't even find words to describe this hatred I have for him." He exhaled and watched Do Hyun sleep peacefully on the other side of the couch. "Poor kid."
 
Jong Kook sat across from the actor. "It's not that I don't understand what is going on because I do." He has never experienced a life drama like this other than his own. And something like his can't even compare to Ji Hyo's. During their wait outside the house, Dong Wook practically told the life story to him and he couldn't even believe it himself. The idea that the Ji Hyo he has been close with all these years has been having a hard time in her life, it's heart wrenching. It makes it even sadder for him because she says nothing about it and always take care of others first before herself. "It's just that, how can she keep this all to herself? The heartache, giving birth alone, working twice as hard most of the time, watching Do Hyun - she does so much and keeps so much inside."
 
"That's just how she is," Dong Wook muttered. "A woman who strives to do and be the best while watching others. She never took care of herself because everyone else comes first. For her, as long as everyone she cares about is happy - everything is worth it. Till this day, she doesn't regret the decision to keep Do Hyun. This little crazy kid gave her life again." He looked over at Jong Kook and sadly smile. "The only thing I am worried about is if he really is going to come back and bother her family. It's already bad enough that he knows where Do Hyun is. It seems as though he won't give up."
 
"He really looks like her," Jong Kook said softly. He has seen Ji Hyo fallen asleep a thousand times during filming for Running Man and he can't believe that her sleepy face has been passed down to the little kid. It's truly a beautiful sight to see. The thought that Joo Ji Hoon could disturb her family like this makes him angry. "Can't she take Do Hyun to her house?"
 
Dong Wook shook his head. "He probably will go there first, he knows that we'll try to hide Do Hyun. The first place he will go is her own house. Makes me wonder if she'll be okay there alone." He groaned and exhaled deeply. "I can't stay at her house anymore because I'm heading to Jeju Island tomorrow for a short web drama. It'll take weeks to finish filming for it." 
 
"My house," Jong Kook suggested. "She and Do Hyun can stay there." He looked at Dong Wook, knowing that it's a crazy idea to think of but its the only choice for her to feel alright with her son.
 
"Are you sure?" 
 
. . . 
 
Ji Hyo opened her eyes to find herself waking up in a strange room. Did she go off and sleepwalk again? What was the last thing that happened? She shifted over to the left side, finding her son still sleeping soundlessly beside her. "Do Hyun?" Okay, where is she? Her eyes roam around for clues and probably a weapon, not knowing what is going on is something you have to be safe about. She paused and looked over at the shelf of music awards, it was filled and practically heavy looking. Kim Jong Kook. It's the name on the award and there were also awards for Turbo and from Running Man. "Kim Jong Kook?"
 
"What?" Jong Kook appeared from the doorway with a towel on his hand as he dry out his hair. "You called me?" 
 
"Oppa?" She got out of bed and walked over him. "I mean, hyung?" 
 
He chuckled as he past the hallway and over to the kitchen, taking out a bottle of water. "You need to stick to one term that you're going to call me. It gets confusing sometimes." 
 
Ji Hyo crossed her arms as she narrowed her eyes at him. "What am I doing in your house? Why is Do Hyun sleeping here?" 
 
"You want the simple reason or complicated reason?" Jong Kook suggested for her to choose as he shrugged and drink his water.
 
"Start with the simple one." 
 
He nodded his head and sat down on one of the stools. "You're both are going to live here with me temporarily. It's not that we think you're in danger because come on, it's Joo Ji Hoon that we're talking about. It's just that Dong Wook and I both believe that as long as he can't find you - he won't bother you. Outside of the drama filming, I mean. Your parents thought it was a good idea and gave us permission to take Do Hyun. Once it was approved, I carried you into the car and Dong Wook carried Do Hyun and his things." He finished the water bottle and shrugged. "We figured that during your time with the filming, Gap Jin can watch over him. Taking him to school and back here, he can take care of him while you're busy. And when I am available, I can help too."
 
"That was the simple one?" Ji Hyo questioned, a little worried about the complicated one. "What's the other reason?"
 
Jong Kook smiled and gave her a wink. "Because I'm not letting you leave no matter what. You're under Kim Jong Kook's watch now, my friend." 
 
"That's a lot more scarier than the other one!" Ji Hyo complained as she sat on the other stool. It's not that she didn't appreciate her friends care but she would've loved a say in this before any action was taken. "How long do I stay here?" 
 
"Depends," Jong Kook answered. "Depends on when I believe it's okay. As for now, you are staying here whether you like it or not." 
 
"I never knew you were so evil." Ji Hyo joked around. 
 
Jong Kook laughed and patted her head for comfort. "Ji Hyo," his voice changing into a different and more serious tone. "I'm sorry."
 
"Why would you be sorry?" 
 
He sighed. His eyes searching around her face, despite the hours that she got to sleep - her tired look never disappears. The way she is still trying to manage to play around and smile even if she knew that he knows about her life now. Hiding her pain and tears again even if he had already seen it all last night. Jong Kook suddenly got off the stool and pulled Ji Hyo into a tight embrace, his arms tightening around her as he kissed the top of her head.
 
Her eyes widened from the shock. Within seconds, he has just done the most skin ship they've done in their five year friendship. Not knowing what to do, she wrapped her arms around his waist. "Jong Kook..." 
 
"Ji Hyo," Jong Kook breathed deeply and pulled away from her, looking straight into her eyes. "Don't keep anything inside anymore. If there is ever something that you need to express or something to just simply say, I'll be here. If anything happened to you or your family, I'll be here. Don't keep it inside and get hurt because you're not the only one hurting. Your parents, Do Hyun, Dong Wook, our members, and even me - we'll be twice in pain when you are." He simply smiled and hugged her again. "Remember this, you can be the bravest and toughest person in the world but sometimes that person also needs to lean on someone. I'll be that person for you anytime."
 
Ji Hyo doesn't know what to say. She has felt trust and protection from him all the time. But this kind of feeling that she has, the knowing feeling that someone like Jong Kook is also in her life despite of her past - it's almost a relief. "Thank you." It was all she managed to say before she starting crying again. Damn, she has been doing that too much. 
 
"Aigoo, it's the ugly crying woman appearing again." Jong Kook laughed when she hit him on the arm. "Do you want to know something?" 
 
Ji Hyo sniffled and wiped her tears. "What?"
 
"I don't think your acting at all." Jong Kook said proudly before putting his arm around her shoulder and dragging her over to the living room to show that he has been watching the first episode of the drama. "I am in complete awe by it." Ji Hyo smiled and stared at him as he continued to watch the episode. When he noticed that her staring, he chuckled and glared at her playfully. "What?" 
 
She didn't say anything. Instead, she leaned over and kissed him gently on the cheeks before she placed her head onto his shoulder. If she didn't look away after the cheek kiss and paid attention to the drama, she would've seen Jong Kook's expression. His eyes stayed on her as he slightly touch his cheek, completely thrown off by the kiss. Sure, he had kissed the top of her head earlier but that's what most older male friends do as a meaning of caring. The cheek kiss somehow feels different. Suddenly, it was like he was dizzy or in a dream because all he could hear was Haha's voice in his eardrums and mind on repeat.
 
You never know when someone is the one until one day just struck you! 
 
Ask yourself this - is Song Ji Hyo my soulmate? 
 
Jong Kook closed his eyes. Damn, Ha Dong Hoon.
 
. . . 
 
(Author's Note):
 
Phew, I thought I wasn't going to be able to finish this chapter by today but I did! I apologize if the chapter was short and if there were any mistakes. Thank you soooooo much for loving the ious chapter, seeing the comments made me so happy and inspired! Thank you so much! I hope you liked this one! Thank you for reading! Please always do comment and subscribe! (: