.VII

Wandering Lunacy
. V I I
August 12, 2015 : Busan, South Korea

 

MEI felt at ease the minute the four of them got to the train station. She knows it’s time to get the sadness over with—because she’s pretty sure Jing Jing will burst into tears, and if she doesn’t Mei will be shocked. Jun on the other hand, doesn’t expect much, and he’s sure Jing Jing won’t cry or at least it seems like it since she’s got Soon Young.

 

Yet, when the train arrives at the station and the two of them—Jun and Mei—stand up with all of their bags, he’s surprised to find Jing Jing crying lightly at the sight of it all. “Jing Jing, I’ll see you soon, and we’ll be in constant contact. Don’t worry about it.” Mei mutters as she walks up to the girl and wraps her arms around her in a slight hug. The action once more surprises Jun because he’s not use to the caring side of Mei. Although from the way she writes in her diary he can tell how much she truly cares for her best friend.

 

The brunette proceeds to nod her head as she leans away from Mei and into Soon Young’s chest. Mei sighs and lifts her gaze towards the blonde boy, “Take care of her—I just dropped in like a bomb, so take care of her.” She refuses to say anything else and only bows her head at the couple before retreating onto the train with Jun trailing behind her.

 

The two take a seat in the near back part of the train, not daring to talk to each other. Mainly because Jun is somewhat afraid of either pissing Mei off—seeing as though they’re still not on good terms—or ultimately being murdered because he annoyed her to a degree of no return. But the silence was unintentionally killing him.

 

“So, how’s it going?” Jun manages to ask after some time of letting her sit there in silence. Mei side glances at him with narrowed eyes, and thin lips. Only to see him with a bright smile plastered on his face. She’s not sure whether or not to forgive and forget or continue to be mad since she did give him a warning not to touch her things in the first place. He had no right to touch her things—her private things. Her diary. The one thing that she’s listed everything about her life in. Her parents. Her feelings for different people. She’s just hoping to God, that he never read the pages that listed her actual feelings for a certain boy he was friends with back in China. “I’m just wondering because you didn’t talk to me at all yesterday, and it’s just that—we’ll be living together so I feel like it would be good to know how you’re doing.”

 

She sighs, “I didn’t ask for a clarification on your reasons for asking.”

 

Jun nods his head and places his chin on his knuckles as he leans across the table toward her. “Can we talk now?” He asks in a low tone, as if worrying that someone will over hear them talking. Mei takes in a deep breath before huffing it out, and Jun watches it moves her blonde bangs up and down.

 

“Look, this is all I’m going to say about the matter,” She begins; Jun nods his head franticly as if begging her to go on. “If you ever touch my stuff again—specifically stuff I’ve told you not to touch—I’ll leave, and I’ll never talk to you again. I’ll even leave Korea all together.”

 

He’s somewhat surprised by this. Would Mei really up and leave everything because he looked at her things? She would leave Jing Jing, and wouldn’t attend her wedding either. All the blame would then be placed on Jun because of it, and he’s just not willing to take the blame for it. “I promise not to touch your stuff.”

 

The two keep silent after that. And after awhile Mei fell asleep with her head leaning against the glass window, while Jun watched her carefully. He’s confused by her. For some reason, it seems like Mei doesn’t even mind leaving Jing Jing behind, just so she can run away from the pain of the past. Like she did before—and that bothers him. What if one day he wakes up and she’s not there? How would he be able to tell Jing Jing that Mei once again left?

 

A u g u s t  1 2

2 0 1 5

S e o u l,  S o u t h  K o r e a

 

MEI doesn’t have a lot of things—at least that’s what Jun thinks. Once checking out of the hotel, and moving all of her things into his truck, he notices how much she doesn’t carry around. Nothing sentimental, nothing that can protect in awake of an attack, nothing of use besides: some clothing, her passport, and her cell phone. At least, this is what he knows that she has, maybe she has stuff hidden away in the pockets of her pink coat, or maybe stuffed in her shoes.

 

The outside of Jun’s apartment is somewhat…creepy in Mei’s opinion. There’s cobwebs lining the dark grey bricks of the building, the smell of death comes from that of the alley way nearing the right side of the building, there’s a man that is looming around the front steps, and almost all of the windows have bars on it. Each of them grabs a bag of her things—with Jun carrying his as well—and Mei follows him to the apartment.

 

Jun’s actually apartment is located on the top floor of the four story building in room four hundred and twelve. Unexpectedly the interior is nice. The kitchen is spacious and looks like it came out of one of those cutesy drama—with plants of all kinds growing in the corner, and the color decal being that of blues and whites—nearing it is the small dining room fitted for four, and the family room with a large couch perfect for three. The rooms split off in two directions. The boys rooms being on the left and Mei’s room on the far right near the one quite small bathroom. Almost the entire apartment—besides the bathroom—has bamboo wood the color of a light yellow, it reminds Mei of Hawaii.

 

“Hey, are you here?” Jun yells out as he cups his hands around his mouth. The two of them set the bags on the ground as a blonde headed boy sticks his head around the corner of the left hallway.

 

His features were surprisingly not Korean; to Mei, he looks of the origin of which is northeast China. Bright brown eyes, curly blonde hair—dyed blonde hair like hers—tanner skin then that of a Korean, and narrow features—definitely Chinese. “Ming Hao, this is Mei—she’ll be staying with us for a while.”

 

Ming Hao briefly nods before eyeing over at Mei, “Zhao Mei Fen?”

 

“Yes.” She doesn’t question how he knows her name; she just assumes Jun has mentioned her before. “Nice to meet you, Ming Hao-sshi.” She extends her hand to him, and he quietly shakes it. She noticed him eyeing her immediately. His eyes roaming her faze, down her body, and along her eyes. He definitely isn’t checking her out—she knows that—he’s just watching her.

 

Jun picks up Mei’s bags again and leads her away from Ming Hao and down the left hallway. “So, this room,” He points to the door on the right as he glances over his shoulder at her. “Is the bathroom—we all share it. And this room,” He points over at the room on the left. “Is your room.” Mei nods her head at him, as she follows him into the room.

 

The room is average, white walls, bamboo floors, one large bed pushed against the right side wall, a large window—with bars on the outside—pressed against the back wall, and a closet on the wall to the left, big enough for her to put all her things in—maybe too big. “Do you think this is good enough?”

 

She nods as she shifts her gaze over to him, “How much is rent?”

 

“You don’t have to pay.” Jun says with a slight laugh; he attempts to pat her on the back but she dodges by taking a step forward. No rent? Jun may be a nice guy but she’s pretty sure his roommate won’t agree with no rent.

 

She sets her bag down on the bed and turns back toward him, “Are you sure Ming Hao-sshi will be okay with that? I have no problem with paying rent.” Jun chuckles as he shakes his head—his hair falling over the part of his eye, slightly covering his view of her.

 

“There’s no need, we’ve been fine before now.” He comments as he shoves his hands in his front pockets—resisting the urge to pat her on the arm. “If it makes you feel any better, I’ll double check with him.” Mei nods her head and watches as Jun leaves the room to go talk to Ming Hao. In the mean time she places all her bags near the closet doors, before opening up the closet and stares at the empty insides.

 

Just starring at the emptiness gives her the feelings of butterflies in her stomach. She hasn’t been in this situation since she moved into Lucca and Bella’s cottage. Usually when she lives in a hotel she just leaves everything in her suitcase or maybe she’ll have it thrown across the room. It just feels uncomfortable for her to actually store her things in drawers or on hangers—it’s like an unsworn statement that when you unpack your things it means that that place becomes your home. Your actual home. Although she always thinks about the sentimental value of home, it becomes so real—so raw—when she stares at the prospect of actually calling Jun’s apartment…home.

 

“Ming said that if you want to you could pa—” Jun momentarily stops his speech as his eyes finally find Mei. She’s crouched down in a squat, her arms wrapped around her knees with her chin resting on the top of it, her eyes starring holes into the closet.

 

He takes cautious steps toward the one end of the closet doors, and shuts it slowly. He silently watches as Mei blinks continuously before dragging her gaze toward him. Steadily, she stands up and brushes her arms off. “What were you saying?” She mumbles.

 

Jun narrows his eyes as he contemplates asking what the hell that was. She looked like she was in a trance of some sort. “Are you okay?” He asks as he gestures—his hands roaming in a circle—to the spot she was just squatting in.

 

Mei shrugs her shoulders up and down, “I’m just tired—is all.”

 

“Don’t lie Mei Fen, it doesn’t fit you well enough.” He responds as she spits out her whole name—only to cause her to cringe. She truly does hate when people use her whole name. “We’re roommates now—tell me what the hell just happened, and I promise I won’t tell anyone. Not even Jing Jing.”

 

Mei can hear it in his voice, the sincerity and reassurance. To be clear, Mei doesn’t trust him—but she likes that feeling he gives her. “I don’t usually empty my suitcase when I get to hotels.” She pauses to run a hand through her hair; causing a few hairs to stick out in different directions and Jun finds that cute. “I don’t think I’m comfortable with unpacking quiet yet.”

 

Jun takes a deep breath as a smile finds its way back onto his face. He was expecting the answer to be a lot worse or for Mei to close herself off again. Thankfully it’s none of the above. “You don’t have to unpack. No one’s going to force you. Take it at a slow pace.” Mei bows her head at him—her way of saying thanks—while Jun keeps his continuous smile on his face. “Anyways, I talked to Ming; he says that if you want you can pay two hundred and thirty thousand Won a month. But it’s not mandatory.”

 

Mei doesn’t respond but instead grabs for her wallet and takes out her money. “Here.” She passes him around one thousand two hundred and seventy one Yuan which is equivalent to that of the Won. “First month’s pay.”

 

Jun accepts the money, though in all honesty he doesn’t want to. But he knows if he doesn’t then it’s more than likely Mei will give it to Ming Hao or keep shoving it at him left and right. “Alright, I’ll leave you be. Dinner will be around seven—so, if you’re hungry come out around that time.”

 

Mei nods her head as Jun waves his hand before ducking out of the room and shutting the door behind him. She can finally breathe for once. Sometimes it’s like when she’s around people—specifically people that know her—she’s suddenly unable to breath. If she was to be diagnosed she thinks it might be social phobia or something—but selective social phobia. She can’t imagine a situation where she’d actually be “romantic” with someone. Maybe when she was younger, when she didn’t feel the impact of what she was going through back then. But now that she comprehends the situation—she’ll never be able to actually go through those situations. At least, not now. Not anytime soon.

 

Mei didn’t do much in the few hours she had before dinner. The only thing that was worth a bit of her time was calling Bella—they hadn’t talked since that one day at the train station. “Hello?” Bella asks the minute she picks up the phone.

 

“It’s me.” Mei responds as she glances at her wrist watch, “How early is it there?”

 

Bella twists on her heel to glance at the clock on the wall of her restaurant. “Eight in the morning; so its, what? One in the afternoon there?” Bella responds as she moves to sit on the bar stool adjacent to the kitchen.

 

“Yeah, so, how’s it going soon-to-be-mom?” Mei smiles over the phone and Bella can feel it radiating through.

 

“I told him last night.” Bella sighs as she rakes a hand through her hair. Mei doesn’t like the sound of that. Lucca isn’t stupid enough to reject having Bella pregnant but he is stupid enough to say something along the lines of ‘we’re too young, and not ready for this.’

 

“And?”

 

Mei hears another huff a breath before Bella starts speaking, “He freaked. Started pacing the room and saying things like ‘this will ruin my job, my career, and our lives’. He acted like it’s my fault I got pregnant when it takes two to tango. And then he said it,” Mei hears a slight crack in Bella’s words and that overwhelming feeling of sadness takes over her. “He brought up how he never wanted kids that he’s not that guy that has kids. That he and I are just supposed to be married and maybe get a dog—but kids? Not in his future. So he said I should get an abortion or give the child up for adoption.”

 

“Lucca just hasn’t thought it through yet. You know he would never hurt you, and when he finally realizes the impact of it all, he’ll come flying back to you with apologizes left and right.” Mei tries to justify but she knows it won’t reassure Bella. The only thing that will reassure Bella is Lucca apologizing.

 

The Italian woman on the other side lets out a dry chuckle, “I set up the house so beautifully to confess to him. Candles everywhere, rose petals on the ground, not to mention probably the greatest dinner I’ve ever made. I was so happy thinking that we were going to become a real family. I’m not even kidding,” She lets out another laugh as tears spring to her eyes and Mei can’t help but feel awful because this situation is anything but happy. “I kept dreaming that there’s going to be a little Lucca or me running around the house. Smiles on everyone’s faces, and me—me being an actual mother. I never knew I wanted all that until now. And he couldn’t even look me in the eye and say he would at least support me. My own husband won’t support me.”

 

Mei takes a deep breath, “Bella, I’ll always be here to support you. And at some point Lucca’s going to find out he messed up. Just stay strong, okay? If you ever need anything you know you can come to me.”

 

“I think,” Bella pauses to control her emotions. “I’m going to leave the restaurant in Dante’s hands. I’m going to go live with my parents. Maybe it’ll knock some sense into his head when he comes home and I’m not there and all that’s left is a note saying I can’t see his face.”

 

Mei knows anything she says will not make Bella stay with Lucca. “As long as you talk to him at some point in the upcoming days; he deserves to know you’re at least safe and okay.”

 

“I know, and I will.” Bella once again pauses as she shifts in her seat and rearranges her legs on the propped up part of the stool. “Now that the sappiness is over; how are you?”

 

Mei bites her lip, “I met up with my old friend Jing Jing and agreed to stay in Korea for a longer period of time in order to attend her wedding and see her off to her honeymoon. It’s the least I can do.”

 

“How can you afford to stay in that hotel? Didn’t you say it’s too expensive?”

 

Mei bites her lip, “Yeah, I moved into another friend’s house.”

 

“Oh, what’s her name?”

 

His name is Jun Hui, and his roommate’s name is Ming Hao.” Bella keeps quiet as she process the information. Mei, her Mei, is living in the same place as—not one—but two men. Mei also keeps quiet as she lets Bella process the information; knowing full well that Bella will act like a real mother to her.

 

Finally, Bella speaks up and she doesn’t sound happy. “You’re living with two men. One you don’t know—I presume—and one you haven’t seen in…forever?”

 

“Correct.”

 

“Jesus Christ, I have a child on the way and a child who’s living with two men I do not know. My God, how do I live in this world without practically dying?” Bella whines and Mei lets out a laugh as the woman continues to complain on and on. “Look, I’ll talk to you later before I leave for my parents. Okay?” Mei responds with a light ‘yeah’. “Be safe.” Bella says before hanging up.

 

By the time the phone call is over, it’s time for dinner—and Mei is definitely hungry. She slips her feet into a fresh pair of white socks, before heading toward the hallway; though she stops momentarily when she hears a conversation between her two flat mates.

 

“Jun, what the hell? Why would you let her move in here? I don’t know her.” She hears Ming Hao’s voice clearly laced with anger. “This is my apartment too, and you even say she doesn’t have to pay rent. Dude, what the hell?”

 

Jun huffs as he pushes past Ming Hao to get into the kitchen. “She’s a friend that needs a place to stay. I’m not going to let her waste her money on some expensive hotel that’ll kick her out the minute she can’t pay.” Jun twists his body toward Ming Hao as he narrows his eyes at him. “I know I should’ve talked to you about it; but I didn’t. So, get over it. She’s staying with us. She’ll pay if she wants to, and if you can’t handle that then I’m sorry—but she’s not going anywhere.”

 

“She has you wrapped around her little finger, doesn’t she?” Ming Hao pushes back as he punches Jun in the arm. “I get that you ‘liked’ her back when you were kids, but can you put your out of the way for two seconds to actually think this through intelligently?” He asks with malice lacing his tone. Mei definitely doesn’t like the tone of it. He’s a lot different than Jun. “Dude, the rate for food is going to go up, and once the landlord finds out we have another person living with us—the price for rent is going to sky rocket. I mean, did you actually think about this? Like, man. You’re so ing stupid.”

 

Jun drops the pan that he’s holding, and lets it fall into the sink with a clash. “I’m not doing this because I liked her back then. I’m doing this because she’s Jing Jing’s best friend that needs a place to stay and I’m not about to throw her out on the street. So deal with it—just like I’d deal with it if you put some person in that room as well; because I’m tolerant unlike you.”

 

“If she does one thing that pisses me off, I don’t care whose best friend she is—she’s out.” The angry blonde man spares one last glare at Jun before heading to the couch in the family room and taking a seat.

 

Mei retreats back into her room, making sure to close the door softly. She should’ve known that was going to happen. The way Ming Hao was acting toward her, the way he watched her—he didn’t like her from the start. And now, now she’s put Jun in an awkward position. She should just leave. She needs to leave. And that’s what she does.

 

She grabs her one duffle bag—her scapegoat bag. The one she has prepared for emergencies. She stuffs her passport and phone into the side pocket before slipping into her shoes. Thankfully, the bars on her window open up, and lead straight towards the fire escape—allowing her to escape.

 

Mei is very resourceful. To the point she can find her way to an airport from any place in the world—no matter if she knows the area or not. It takes her thirty minutes top to get all the way to Incheon International Airport—using the railway system. She almost feels like she’s free when she gets to the entrance of the airport, and sees all the busy bodies moving their way through the airport.

 

Mei knows exactly where she’s going; back to Italy to support Bella. It’s the right decision with Bella being pregnant and Lucca not being there for her. At least, she thinks that’s the right decision.

 

Yet, the minute she takes a step toward the doors of the entrance, the tip of her shoe catches the edge of the sidewalk, and she goes flailing to the ground—and in some hideous attempt to protect herself from face planting she puts out her right hand. Ultimately she twists her ankle, and she’s pretty sure she broke her wrist in the process of trying to save herself.

 

Somehow—as everyone bustles around her—she pulls herself against the wall of the building and rests her bag next to her. With her ankle as it is, there’s no way she’ll be able to get up and walk herself to get a ticket or even get back on the railway. And with her wrist shooting pain up her arm—there’s no way she can do anything but stay as she.

 

Instead, she grabs for her phone and dials the number for Jun. Hoping he won’t overreact when he finds out what she’s done. “Mei? Why are you calling me? Just come out of your room.” He laughs as she hears dishes clashing.

 

“Jun,” She whispers catching him off guard. “I think…I think I broke my wrist and I know I twisted my ankle.” Jun drops everything he has and sprints into Mei’s bedroom. Only, to his surprise, she isn’t there.

 

He takes a deep breath, “Mei, where are you?” He continues to search through the house; even checking the bathroom. Mei takes a deep breath as she tries to prop herself up on the wall better. “Where did you go?”

 

“I’m at the airport.” She mumbles and her voice cracks as she hears him groan on the other side of the phone. “I can’t walk.”

 

Jun sighs and messes his hair up as he refuses to stomp his foot on the ground. “Alright, I’ll be right there. Don’t move, and be cautious.” Jun was right on his word. In no time—less than an hour at least—Jun was at the airport; searching for Mei like no tomorrow. Once he spots her, he’s not happy.

 

When she goes to open , he puts his hand up to stop her. He instead grabs for her duffle bag and situates on his one shoulder before grabbing for good hand and hauling her to her good foot. He places his arm around her waist, and her good arm goes around his shoulders.

 

She could tell that he’s furious at her. She just doesn’t understand why or at what cost this hurts him? She doesn’t understand why he slams the door once she’s inside on the passenger seat, and why he angrily slams his hands on the steering wheel once he’s inside. She’s never seen Jun made before. Usually he’s happy—always with a smile on his face.

 

“What the hell did I do?” He murmurs as he runs a hand down his face. He bites the inside of his cheek and turns toward her—his gaze soft yet unkind. “Why were you going to leave?”

 

Mei takes a deep breath as she cradles her hand in her other one. “I heard what Ming Hao-sshi said to you. I felt that it would be better if I just, you know, left. That way you could at least live in peace.”

 

“Don’t listen to what he says; he’s just mad I didn’t tell him that you were moving in.” Jun replies, lessening his anger now that he realizes what this all is about.

 

Mei shakes her head, “Why did you even offer to house me in the first place?”

 

Jun shakes his head and almost laughs. Does she really not comprehend the situation at hand; even after over hearing the conversation between him and Ming Hao. Is she truly that stupid?

 

“Because, I care about you Mei, and I want to make sure you’ll be safe.” Mei tilts her head as she moves her attention away from him and toward the outside of the car. “Don’t try and leave again unless you have an actual reason. You’re not putting me in a bad spot nor are you putting Ming Hao in a bad spot. Just, try and be comfortable when you’re living with us. Our apartment is now also yours. I know you may think that Ming Hao wants’ you to leave but he’s honestly just nervous around females. He’ll warm up to you, I promise. So, please, don’t run away again. It’ll just make things worse.”

 

Mei takes a deep breath, and to Jun it feels like forever before she nods her head in understanding and unsaid agreement. “Alright, let’s get you to the hospital.” Finally, Jun starts up the truck and makes his way onto the road. Neither of them wanted to talk to each other after that; though both of them found the silence comforting and nice.

 

“Jun?”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

 

d i c t i o n a r y :

  • 230000 ₩ or 1271 ¥: about two hundred dollars in American money or one hundred and seventy six €.

coded by aleric | client: bapoverflowers