.XXII

Wandering Lunacy
. X X I I
November 20, 2015 : Pyongyang, North Korea

OUT of all the possible rooming positions, Mei got stuck staying with Mi Ja. Though, to be quite honest, she doesn’t mind. Out of everyone, Mi Ja seems to treat her like a normal human being. Charlie and Min treat her as if she needs to be protected—though it’s not like Charlie did that well when she was child—and General Roe is a brick wall of neutrality. Mei presumes, much like South Korea, that in North Korea it’s almost ghastly and impure to stay in a room with a man—even if he is a relative. When Mei comes to think of it, all three of them are her family. Charlie is technically like an uncle, Min’s her brother, and General Roe is the father to her half-brother. Nearly everyone she’s come across is either related to her, or close enough to be. “You ready?” Mi Ja asks as she slides into a thicker red coat—one that covers up a majority of what she was showing.

 

Mei glances up at her—after placing her bag down on the white cotton comforter placed on one of the two beds. “Ready for what?” Mi Ja— transparently displeased—grabs for her purse and points toward the door. Oh, I didn’t think she’d actually want to do it. Mei grabs for her own jacket and slips it on before following after Mi Ja, out into the halls. Before either of them can walk further down the hallway to the elevators, they’re stopped by one of the soldiers. The strong man outstretches his arm in front of both of them, and firmly stares at both of them before he glances around the area.

 

“You’re not permitted to leave the premises without a guide.” The man barks.

 

Mi Ja crosses her arms over her chest, and huffs. “Then guide us.” Mei can’t help but snort as Mi Ja shifts her hair over her shoulder and pushes past the solider who runs after them. She’s known for a while that Mi Ja can be a real pain, but she never assumed she could be assertive as well. Although, she is a woman who leads an arm of men to kill people in the forest behind her house—so, Mei should’ve realized a bit sooner. “Boys and their toys.” Mi Ja comments when the solider slings his weapon over his shoulder. Her voice comes out more like a mock; and it makes Mei believe that Mi Ja is fond of men. Or at least, men who believe woman are weak like how the soldier’s from before treated the both of them. Or how Charlie and Min try to act like they’re stronger and better than Min. Mi Ja’s the type of woman who believes that men shouldn’t act like they’re greater than woman just because they’re a man—it’s the same way Mei thinks.

 

The elevator ride is quick and simple, there’s no talking involved, and only a few flimsy glances over Mei’s shoulder towards the soldier holding the gun. Other than that, there’s nothing. Quick steps from a long legged Mi Ja causes Mei to jog gracelessly after—not realizing how short her legs are compared to the older woman. Even when she nearly tripped on the edge of a small corner rug, Mi Ja didn’t spare her a glimpse nor did she stop her speed of walking. Though, the soldier did mutter a simple scoff that almost made Mei blush in embarrassment. Thankfully, it could be hidden by her now medium styled hair that had grown out over time. Yet, when the three make their way to the entrance—Mei’s eyes casted down at the floor—Mi Ja comes to a sudden halt, the former nearly knocking into her from not paying attention. In an attempt to understand why, Mei scans the area in front of them—instantly spotting the reason.

 

“Li Xue,” Mi Ja mutters as her hands fumble into classless fists that showed off her thug like personality; in which clashed with her formal attire of a tight fitted purple dress and large platform heels. In front of her, a sly grin lining her lips, is Mei’s mother—wearing a pink sun dress and yellow flats. Mei practically rolls her eyes at her mother. It’s the midst of winter, and the woman is wearing a sun dress—inevitably to make herself look more comforting and sweet. “Who do we owe this dreadful occasion too? Your idiotic brain no doubt.”

 

Mei’s mother scoffs as she seamlessly dusts off the end of her dress—despite no dust being there. Mei quickly assumes that it’s a way of releasing her anger. “I came to greet my daughter.” Her mother states, ignoring the earlier sentiment. What Mei finds just about repulsive, is her mother’s use of ‘my’. It comes out as if she’s referring to an object, a trophy even. It must’ve hurt her mother when she chose Mi Ja over her. Good. Mi Ja, rolls her eyes, sliding a hand through her red hair before swishing it over her shoulder effortlessly. Classy as always.

 

“I still don’t see how you can possibly use those words without being damned to hell.” She retorts, as Mei takes a step to be beside her. Li Xue calmly looks away from Mi Ja to stare at her daughter—a small hint of a smile surfacing on her lips. Mei blanches in return, as she shifts her gaze down toward the floor—an overwhelming sensation of distaste rolling through her system. This is the last place she wants to be—situated between Mi Ja, someone who nearly killed her for the fun of it, and her mother, someone who destroyed her childhood with one simple look. It’s like a battle between Lucifer and the Antichrist. Mei isn’t one for religious terminology: but she’s sure as hell that both of those people, gods, whatever they are; are the symbolism for destruction, hate, and overall evil.

 

Li Xue takes a step forward, a hand reaching to—probably—brush some of Mei’s hair out of her face; before it’s shot down by a smack from Mi Ja. “Honestly Li Xue, get it through your thick headed skull,” Mi Ja leans forward, and as if she’s a teacher, begins to annunciate each word like Mei’s mother is a simple child who doesn’t know manners. “She’s not your child anymore.” Mei frowns, as does Li Xue, but for obvious different reasons. Li Xue is merely livid from Mi Ja’s hostility and dictation. While Mei’s contemplating the words that slipped out of the woman’s mouth. Is it true? Is Mei not Li Xue’s daughter anymore? Then who does she belong to? Or is she simply an orphan, someone who gave up all notion of being a child so that she didn’t have to live the life of being bullied by her parents. So, she didn’t have to live the life set in front of her, given to her by her parents.

 

“Who says? You? Don’t make me laugh,” Li Xue chuckles, a few mindless giggles leave as well, before she straightens up and swipes a hand across . “At least my daughter has lived longer than the age of eighteen, and all because of my gracious raising skills. Your son died; because of your inability to control his radical hobbies. The last thing Mei Fen needs, is you guiding her through life.” A flash of grief strikes through Mi Ja’s features; but, as quick as it was there, it was gone—replaced by a neutral expression.

 

She places a hand on her hip, as her upper lip curls in distaste—all pointed directly at Li Xue. “At least my son was never hurt by those he trusted. At least my son was never abused. At least my son was loved. At least my son lived a happy life,” Without realizing the words about to leave , Mi Ja continues—not sparring a glance in Mei’s direction. “I definitely can’t say the same for Mei’s. If she died today, her life would be nothing!” A hole of emptiness shines in the pit of Mei’s stomach as she processes Mi Ja’s words. A silence sweeps over the three of them as Mei’s hands curl into her sweater. Before she can truly take in the hurt words, a hand is placed on her shoulder, compelling her and the others to stop.

 

“That’s enough,” Charlie takes a step forward, his hand now circling Mei’s shoulder—a sign of comfort. Surprisingly, it does comfort her. He glances between Mi Ja—who’s as red as a beet because of her anger—and Li Xue—who’s sneering to the side—just as Min appears on the other side of Mei, his hands stuffed in his pockets. “Is there a reason for your visit?” He asks, glancing in the latter’s direction.

 

Li Xue shifts to fully look at him, a simple smirk sliding onto her face. “Wow, you’ve surely changed, haven’t you,” Another laugh leaves as Charlie’s grip tightens on Mei. “So different from the little boy who cowardly watched his friend die in front of him.” Charlie begins to firm his stance, a bubble of shock wavering on his face, before he wipes it away along with the sweat clogging his forehead. Li Xue grins, knowing she hit the spot—the point in which she can make him falter. Much like she did when bringing up Hyun to Mi Ja. It’s a soft spot, and Da Wei is Charlies. It’s funny, they all think they’re so strong, when something as simple as a dead person makes them stop and stare like they can’t believe someone could do such thing as dying. “Well,” She continues, clapping her hands, as she pins her eyes on Mei. “I’m offering another chance to come with me; it’s such a shame for you to go with Mi Ja, she’ll dress you so scandalous and you need to be presented as if you’re a governess of sorts. Not someone who puts out easily.”

 

“And you would know all about that, wouldn’t you?” Mi Ja bites back.

 

Li Xue side glances Mi Ja, another jeer ripping from her lips. “Bite your tongue dear; you have no room to talk.” As if the two are in their early twenties, fighting over such things like philandering, both roll their eyes before moving their gazes to somewhere else. “Sweetie, come with your mother, don’t you want your father pleased?” Mei pales once more, the palms of her hands sweating, and her feet ready to make her run. The word father or any variant is like a trigger in her head—bringing together all the fears and worries of her past. “The first time in three years you’ll be seeing each other tomorrow, don’t you want him to look at you and be proud? Dressing like Mi Ja will only bring disgust to him, and you know how he’ll react if that happens.” She begins to take a step backward, away from her mother, in deep fear.

 

“Stop it,” A soft voice whispers, and Mei has to turn her head to the left to see Min barely looking in their mother’s direction—but she knows for a fact he said it. Li Xue doesn’t even look at him, she physically can’t: is Mei’s deduction. She just keeps her gaze pointed to the window to the left of her. “You’re not welcome in our presence, please leave. You’re doing nothing but causing trouble and being an unwarranted pest.”

 

Li Xue spares one last glance in Mei’s direction before turning on her heel and leaving the hotel. Whether it was Min’s words, or Min himself—her mother did in fact leave. Before anyone can say a word, Mei twists out of Charlie’s grip and quickly wraps her arms around Min’s back. A soft grunt leaves his mouth at the sudden weight of her leaning against him; yet, he wraps his arms around her upper half and lets out a sigh of relief. “I’m sorry for earlier,” He murmurs, and Mei only huffs—not wanting that to be brought up again. “I shouldn’t try and control you, I just want you to be safe and strong. I know you can take care of yourself.”

 

She’s not sure what to say in that situation, she wasn’t sure when Jun said a similar statement a few months back. It’s an odd feeling for her to be cared for; it’s like someone loving the spawn of Satan, how does that work? Instead of saying anything back, she simply moves out of his grip, and nods her head. A sudden movement to her right, catches her attention, Mi Ja stands shifting from one foot to another—impatiently. The words from before seep into Mei’s head. With a strong influx of air, Mei huffs before straightening herself and turning her body to face Mi Ja. “You can stay here; I don’t need you to come with. Instead, I’d like to go by myself.” From behind, the solider peeks his head, a frown on his face.

 

“You’re not permitted to leave the building by yourself.” He states.

 

Mei rolls her eyes as she beckons him to follow her. She can hear Mi Ja scoff, as Charlie and Min disperse around the hotel. The soldier walks persistently and assiduously a few inches away from her, yet still in step with her. Every few seconds, she glances at him—and after that she begins looking around the area for the nearest cloth shop. Yet all she’s managed to find is small convenience stores, hotels, a school building, and housing. “You seem close to Min-sshi,” The soldier mumbles as he sides glances her.

 

She barely looks at him as shakes her head, “Not really, you just caught us at a good time.” She keeps her eyes focused on the passing buildings as the soldier switches his gun to face a different position. He stares for a bit too long at the side of her face; and it makes Mei shift awkwardly from the feeling of knowing he’s watching.

 

“You have so many people with you, whom are you closest to?” He continues.

 

To act as normal as possible, Mei shrugs her shoulder. “I guess, Charlie,” For a minute, she looks at the man, only to see him staring at her in confusion. That’s right, Charlie is just as new as me, they won’t know him. “He’s the tall one, with the buff shoulders and lanky legs.” A snort nearly leaves when she thinks of Charlie over hearing the conversation and giving her that look he gives when he’s upset. He sort of looks like a wrinkled upside down eggplant. A vaguely noticeable ‘ah’ leaves his mouth before he’s paying no more attention to her. There’s no time to ask why, because she finally spots a clothing store and claps her hand together in accomplishment before she’s jogging up to it and entering quickly-the soldier staying outside.

 

She bypassed the young lady at the front desk who greeted her with a nice ‘welcome’ and immediately found herself in front of the dress section. There wasn’t much, and nothing seems to fit her style. Either the dresses were too eccentric of a style, and or the cut of the dress was too short or too long. Nothing seems to fit her style, until she spotted a set of clothes in the far back. They still aren’t her style; but, it’ll do. It’s a modernized version of a Hanbok. The upper part—instead of being a separated top—is white with purple and blue swirls—a thin strap wraps around the neck and Velcro’s in the back. Thus leaving her shoulder blades and parts of her back are bare. The ribbon that separates the top from the bottom is a dark purple and cascades in curls down the back. The skirt is three layers, the top layer is a dark blue folded over a lighter blue, which is folded over an off white color. It comes with traditional dark blue flats with a tan border, and a bluish white flower pin that gets sewed into the side of her hair.

 

It may not necessarily fit her style; but, it’s good enough for this so-called gala. She assumes that most woman will be wearing a traditional style while men wear suits, and some daring woman wear normal dresses. Although Mei just wants to blend in with the background; because, she’s never one for standing out; her mother and father won’t be please. And even though she doesn’t want to even think of either of them—she’d rather be on their good side than anything else.

 

The lady quickly rings up her order, and packages it nicely—before she’s smiling at Mei like she’s been handed down by God. It’s easy for Mei to forget that her parents are pretty well-known in North Korea. Which, most likely, means that she’s also famous here. Or maybe it’s just another way to convince Mei to stay, to prove that she’d be the center of attention here. Even throwing a gala for her. Though, they’ve failed to realize that Mei isn’t one for being the center of attention. And it only makes her not want to stay any further.

 

“Have a good day, Miss Zhao.” The woman comments and all Mei can do is nod back as she hurries out of the store, to come face to face with the soldier. He immediately bows her way; before, watching as she turns on her heel and heads back to the hotel. The walk back was silent, leaving Mei to be able to think about what has gone throughout the past few days. To put it simply, things have been hectic. She feels like no matter what she does, it’s just going to be torn down. Her life is cursed, she is cursed. Snippets of her past, and present blow through her head like a quick wind—knocking her senses every which way as she tries not to stagger from the rush like feeling. The soldier beside her stares at her funnily and all she can do is shift her head to the side to block his view from her face.

 

They arrive to the outside of the hotel, yet, Mei has no want or need to go inside. Instead, she glances at the soldier and sighs. “Is there a park of some sorts around here?” He stares at her for a quaint second; before, he nods and begins to walk past the hotel and down the concrete sidewalk. They pass a few awe inspired people and tall apartment buildings. “It seems like there’s really no plants around here.” She comments rather wistfully, as she glances from building to building. The soldier nods passively at her, and she comes to her own conclusion that because of all the people born in North Korea—more buildings had to be put in place to make up for it. Thus, in cause, destroying whatever environmental life that surrounded the area.

 

After somewhat of a long walk, filled with admirable looks, constant bows, and awkward conversation; Mei and the soldier who’s name she had yet to learn, had arrived at what is supposed to be a version of a park. Instead, it was something Yoon A had showed her from a bunch of pictures: The Arch of Triumph. A large stone structure in the shape of four arches connected with slate stone a top. It’s the second largest triumphal arch in the world. It was created in nineteen-eighty-two in the Triumph Return Square nearing Moran Hill. It was built to honor and glorify President Kim Il Sung’s role in the military resistance for Korean independence. Every single of the twenty-five thousand five hundred blocks of white granite, represents a day of his life up to the point he was inaugurated on his seventieth birthday.

 

“You do realize this isn’t a park, right?” She mutters with a glance up at the structure. It is rather amazing, from the point where she is—a bit far to be able to see the whole of it—she feels like an ant. From all the research she’s done with Yoon A, one question has always stayed with her. Why do North Koreans build so many structures to honor people, places, and history? In her opinion, none of them are very honorable; yet, people here believe this. Though, the same thing can be said for nearly anywhere. People honor anything and everything with books, structures, even going as far as naming streets and comments after them. But, what’s the point? Most of them are already dead when it happens. They can’t say thank you, or even stare at it lovingly. Not to mention, you’re honoring a famous person—what about all the other people in the world who aren’t famous but have done amazing things?

 

The soldier beside her shrugs, “It’s close enough to be one. A lot of people come here, sit around, and enjoy their time,” He folds his gun underneath his arm and points to the side to a young couple sitting together and laughing with one another. “See, it’s our version of a park. Well, there are a few parks around; but, they’re mainly for the children. This is a place for young people. If you’d like, I could take you to an actual park.” Mei shakes her head no, and takes a few steps toward the arch in awe. Even though it makes no sense to her, as to why it’s built, it is still quite beautiful. She takes a seat on a yellow piece of grass and pulls her knees to her chest. The soldier stands a few feet away from her, glancing every so often in her direction—as she lets the winter air swipe right by her.

 

In the distance she can see the on sweep of clouds rushing over Pyongyang. “It’s going to rain soon,” She comments, a slight yawn leaving soon after. She had yet to realize, that with everything, she became increasingly tired. She glances back at the soldier, and stands up—smiling in his direction. “Thank you for taking me here—I feel better.” The man nods his head, shifting his view to somewhere else. Mei assumes that he’s just nervous.

 

“I’m just doing my job.” He comments.

 

Mei nods; moving some of her blonde hair out of her face. “Aren’t we all?”

 

 

N o v e m b e r  2 1

2 0 1 5

P y o n g y a n g,  N o r t h  K o r e a

 

 

MEI sits crossed leg on a bench nearing a bay window, Mi Ja lies asleep in the bed next to her—her red hair tossed gingerly around her face, arms and legs stretched out every which way, she looks messy which contrasts differently from her classy and sultry aura. A cup of coffee sits in her hands, warming her up from the cold air around her. Her gaze stays on a couple of young kids, maybe around twelve, running around the outside of the apartment building. Just being kids. A few older ladies, late fifties early sixties, sit idly on a bench nearing them—talking like their best friends, laughing at each other’s stories, and yelling at the kids to stay out of the streets. A small hum leaves as she takes a sip of her coffee. This is probably the only moment of her day that will be calm.

 

A light knock on her door, grabs her attention. She places her cup down on the table next to her; before she gets up and heads out the door to find herself right in front of Charlie and Min; General Roe dangled in the back, leaning against a wall with his arms crossed over his chest. “We were wondering if you ladies would like to join us for dinner!” Min says sweetly with a bright grin. Mei glances back into her room, to watch as Mi Ja miserably falls out of her bed and nearly bangs her head against the floor.

 

“Mei-Mei, who is it?” She drawls, drowsy and tired, as she flips herself over and pushes her red hair out of her face. “Is it room service? Tell them I need a coffee with extra caffeine.” The woman flops herself to grab for something off her side table; but ends up dropping something that looks like the hotel phone, on her face. A short yelp leaves —catching the men’s attention from outside. General Roe even goes as far as pushing past Charlie, Min, and Mei to come to a stop in front of the woman who lies half-awake, and half-asleep on the floor, crying in pain.

 

Mei takes a step into the room, and glances at Roe. He doesn’t look back at her; instead, he keeps his gaze directly on Mi Ja who’s cradling her head. “Did she drink?” He asks; to which Mei nods her head, pointing over towards the waste bin full of small empty alcohol bottles. A stream of cuss words leaves his mouth—almost like he saw this coming. “She’s always like this whenever Li Xue shows up, wait until that bas—” He suddenly stops mid-sentence, glancing in Mei’s direction before shifting his view away from everyone and to the window. “I’ll have someone bring up some hangover soup; try and get her up and drink some coffee.” Before Mei can say anything to him, General Roe is out the door and walking quickly down the hallway.

 

A firm grips holds onto her shoulder, causing her to look to her right. “How you doing kid?” Charlie asks with a simple smile and his head cocked to the side in question. Mei can only shrug her shoulders; the question is a bit much to answer. To be honest, she’s not quite sure how she’s doing; but, that’s better than actually knowing. Because, if she did know how she was doing, she’s sure that she would’ve already been dead from overwhelming stress and pain from the situation at hand. It’s better to not feel then to feel in a condition that holds to much feeling. At least, that’s what Mei believes. “I’ll see you later, alright?” He pats the top of her head, almost lovingly in a way, before sending one last smile her way and then disappearing down the hallway just like Roe.

 

Mei twists around to see Min standing behind her, smiling. “Guess it’s just you and me sis!” His smile twists into a giant grin, practically repulsing Mei. Her hand finds the handle of the door, and before Min can utter one more word about them being siblings, she slams the door in his face and locks it. She can hear Min grumbling on the other side; but, she pays no attention as she looks back at Mi Ja. Whom, sadly, is trying to figure out how to get off the ground; but, is failing miserably. A chaste sigh leaves Mei’s mouth as she takes a step toward the woman. Mi Ja, from behind her hair, looks up at Mei and frowns.

 

“Mei-Mei,” She flings her hand back and forth, beckoning her closer. “Help me up. And where the hell is room service?” Mei does as Mi Ja says, and carefully walks over to her, grabbing a hold of the woman’s arm and hauling her to her feet—with little to no trouble. Before setting the woman on the bed in a sitting position. “That’s better.” Mi Ja pushes her hair out of her face and daps at the smeared lipstick that runs across her cheek. A ‘ugh’ leaves as she wipes at her cheek continuously, the lipstick only smearing further across her cheek. Mei grabs a tissue out of the box on the side table and bends down in front of her.

 

“Move,” She pushes the woman’s hand off her face—a whine of protest coming from her—as Mei begins to wipe off the smeared makeup. Grabbing a hold of the woman’s jaw to keep her in place. “You should’ve cleaned your face last night before you drank; this wouldn’t have happened if you did.” She murmurs, moving her hand to the woman’s other cheek and wiping at it—removing the old foundation and concealer.

 

Mi Ja frowns, a snarl forming on her lip. “What are you, my mother?”

 

“No, I’m just…I’m better at keeping myself calm,” Mei replies as she stuffs the tissue in Mi Ja’s hand—letting the woman continue to peel off her makeup from the night before. “I know how to not let other’s comments get me, and I know when to stop drinking.” She chides, her eyes slipping over to the empty bottles in distaste. Mi Ja, now a pissed of mess, glares at Mei who walks over to the coffee machine and pours the woman a cup.

 

“Try having your dead son thrown in your face, and see how you react.” The woman bites; and Mei has to hold her tongue not to yell at the woman. As if that woman has gone through more than she has. It’s not like this is a contest; but, if it was—hands down, Mei would win.

 

She passes the cup toward Mi Ja, and smiles ever so delicately. “Try seeing the monster who ruined your childhood, act like it didn’t happen and pretend to love you only to spout of nonsense about the other monster from your childhood coming to visit you, then see how you react.” All Mi Ja can do is sit there with agape and her cup of coffee in hand; as Mei grabs a jacket off the back of a chair and heads for the hotel door. She peeks over her shoulder at the woman, and continues to smile. “Your monster died the minute your son died, but mines still starring me in the face and watching my every movement. You think you have it rough?” She scoffs, a running a hand through her blonde hair before a light chuckle resonates from . “My whole entire life just got flipped around in less than three months—I’ve found out I have three brothers: one who’s dead, another who practically hates me, and the last who is a total and complete nut job that words for a triad. My parents are murderers, and North Korean spies. I’ve almost died nearly five times—and yet, not once, have I gone to the depths that you have. I don’t succumb to alcohol to make myself feel better; because there is no feeling better.” Mei clicks open the door, kicking it open with the end of her foot—yet still looking in Mi Ja’s direction. “You chose your life: to become a North Korean delegate, to sleep with my father, to with my mother, to give up my brother—I didn’t choose my life; and yet, I’ve managed to keep it together. There’s a reason people call you the devil; and it’s not because you’re evil, it’s because you’re acrimonious. Fix yourself Mi Ja—before you kill yourself.”

 

Just as she heads out the door, the lamp that previously sat on the side table clashes against the wall with a loud bang. “ you ! You’re so much like your mother!” Mei pays no attention to the hungover Mi Ja, even if the words strike a chord in her, as she stumbles down the hallway. There’s something about comparing Mei to her mother that sits wrong in the pit of her stomach. She’s tried so hard not to be like her parents; never to be like her parents. Onset tears well up into the corners of her eyes: that’s the worst thing someone could say to her. It just makes her resent Mi Ja more than she already does. She thought maybe things were getting better: such as when she stood up for Mei when it came to her mother. Yet, her mother was correct, Mi Ja brought hell—and hell happened to be the vile words she spits when she’s angry.

 

“Mei,” Somehow, after wondering the halls with her eyes covered in tears, she had found her way to Charlie. Who has a plate of eggs, and kimchi in one hand and a cup of some type of soup in the other. His eyebrows squish together in confusion as Mei staggers forward. “What happened?” He asks as he sets his plate and bowl on the table behind him.

 

She rubs the back of her palms against her eyes, forcing the tears away, before she crashes in to his chest. “I’m not like her!” She states her voice coming out firm despite her mumbling into his chest. He tries to pull her back—his fingers etching into her shoulders—but she won’t let him. She keeps herself as she is, as tears pour from her eyes. “I’m not like my mother!” This time, for the first time in a long time, Mei screams. Her voice coming out scratchy and rough when doing so; and catching the attention of Min who stands only a few feet away.

 

“What’s going on?” He asks, coming over to both of them.

 

Charlie bats away Min’s hands—hands that were heading straight toward Mei—before wrapping his arms around her back. “Calm down, it’s okay.” She adamantly shakes her head in disagreement. In quiet hushes she continues to say how she’s not like her mother—over and over again. Her eyes are burning with tears as they cascade down her face; her breathing is choking up in rampant breathes. She almost feels like she can’t breathe, to the point that she starts wheezing, and banging her hands against Charlie’s chest to signal him. He finally manages to pull her backward, crouching down to stare directly into her eyes. “Hey, look at me,” Mei does as he says, her hands into his shirt, but starring directly into his eyes. “It’s okay, everything is okay. Just look at me, and count down from ten.” Once more, she does as he says. In her head like a slow count down, she begins with the number ten before ending with one. Her breath comes out nice and calm—just like it’s supposed to be.

 

“I’m not like her,” Mei whispers and Charlie nods his head. “I’m not.”

 

He nods, and pats the top of her head for a second. “It’s okay; everything is okay. I know, I know, you’re not like your mother.” That’s right. Mei nods her head; that’s right. Charlie’s right. He’s right.

 

“Promise?” Comes her soft voice.

 

He nods his head, “I promise.”

 

“Don’t make promises you can’t keep.”

 

No.

 

Mei’s fingers clench Charlie’s shirt that clung to his arms, her chest tightening, as her mind freezes in time. No. Not him. Not now. Not when she’s like this. Not when she’s so weak. He has to see her when she’s strong. So she can stare him in the face and show him that she doesn’t need him. That she’s never needed him. Yet, the one moment she’s broken—from small words—he finds her, sees her…crying. “Mei Fen, look at me!” His commanding voice, chills her to the bone. No, no, no. This isn’t happening. Her hands tighten on Charlie’s shirt as his eyes puncture the man that stands in front of him, and behind Mei. Min, thankfully, had left a while ago—meaning, he doesn’t have to witness the man. “Mei Fen!” He growls; before Charlie can stop him, the man’s rough hand comes down on Mei’s hair and pulls at the back of her head, flinging her away from Charlie and onto the ground. Treating her like a rag doll.

 

“Please stop.” She winces, as she tries to pull herself to her knees. Dark, leather, slip-ons are the first thing she sees. A bright signal showing that it’s truly him. As she begins to gather herself, the man squats down and stares at her—a scoff leaving his mouth. She’s been here, in this situation, so many times. He’s looking at her like she’s the scum of the earth. She can’t even see him, yet, she knows that’s what he’s doing.

 

A hand comes down onto her hair, it’s his, and he threads his fingers through her blonde strands. “Don’t tell me what to do.” Like a flash of lightning, Mei is thrown across the room—her head banging against the tiled floor. He’s gotten stronger. A groan leaves as she clings to the side of a bar stool. She can hear the pounding footsteps of him coming closer; yet, all she can do is lie there—holding tightly to the stool. “You don’t want to be like your mother; yet, you’re exactly like her.”

 

“Kai Zheng!” Mei slips her head to look over shoulder, just in time to see Charlie stalk up to him. Him. Mei’s father. He stands tall, way taller than what she remembers. His hair is a dark black—despite some of it turning a bit grey—he’s slimmer yet still buff. He wears a black and white suit even though the gala is hours away. His aura scares her; it’s almost like he’s ready to hurt people. To cause people pain. That’s scary. He’s scary. Scarier than what she remembers. He doesn’t look it—but the man is scary. “That’s enough,” Charlie barks as he comes to stand directly in front of her father. “Don’t you want her presentable in front of all of your old friends, and partners tonight? Beating the out of her won’t allow you to do so. Leave.”

 

Kai Zheng, Mei’s father, rolls his eyes as he crosses his arms over his chest. “And, who the hell are you?” Charlie, not answering the question, maneuvers around Kai Zheng to stand protectively in front of Mei.

 

“No one important,” Kai Zheng scoffs, running a hand through his hair, as he glances between Charlie and his daughter. A questioning look on his face before it turns sour. “May you leave now?” Charlie questions just as Mei’s father retracts his hand backward, then gliding it forward to punch Charlie flesh against his right cheek. An unpleasant laugh leaves Kai Zheng as Charlie grips his jaw in pain. “What is with people and punching me?” A strong scream echoes through the room as Charlie flings himself at Kai Zheng, and the two men begin brawling—leaving Mei attached to the end of the bar stool, holding on for dear life.

 

She wields her eyes shut, tightly, as she hears crunch after crunch. There’s grunts of pain, sounds of friction, tumbling of furniture, as skin makes contact with skin. Then, something seems to stop them, but Mei stays as is—too nervous to look at the view in front of her. To worried. “Leave, now!” A strong voice bellows, and it vaguely registers in her head that it belongs to General Roe. Strong arms wrap around her thin frame, pulling her away from the bar stool.

 

“Mei, it’s okay, it’s just me.” Her eyes snap open, to come face to face with Min. A worried Min. Yet she doesn’t care. She lifts her gaze to look over at where Charlie is; only to find him lying against the floor, his face smashed into twenty different ways, and his breath coming out ragged. “He’s okay, Mei, he’s fine.” She pushes frantically against Min’s chest, struggling to relieve herself from his grip—and when she does, she quickly crawls over to Charlie. He manages to out stretch a hand, one that’s covered in sores from punches, and wraps it around Mei’s.

 

“I’m not like him either right?” She murmurs; running a hand along the pieces of hair that had been dragged by her father. Charlie barely manages to nod his head; but, he does, and it comforts Mei.

 

General Roe comes to stand in front of her, glancing between Charlie and Mei with a frown. “He wasn’t supposed to show up until the gala.” He mumbles; more to himself than anyone else. Min, who’s sighing, comes to stand next to him and watch as Mei holds tightly onto Charlie’s hand, as the latter tries to pull himself into a sitting position.

 

“Just be thankful that there were no witnesses.” Min mutters.

 

Roe nods in agreement, as does Charlie, though Mei keeps silent. Witnesses probably would’ve led to a drastically different ending. Word would’ve spread that Mei is deathly afraid of her father, and that he is her greatest weakness in life. Sure, it’s okay to cry; but, it’s not okay to let others watch as you do so. Nor is it okay to let others know your weakness—especially if they can use it against you. “Whoa, I guess I missed a party, hunh?” Everyone’s eyes glance toward the arch way, a tight silver dress wearing Mi Ja stands there with a slim smirk—her hair now in order, and her make-up placed on tidily. She looks presentable. “Who was it this time?” She asks, as she strides over to the buffet table and grabs a plate. She quickly begins filling it up with all the foods provided.

 

“Kai Zheng.”

 

And the plate shatters to the floor.

coded by aleric | client: bapoverflowers