.IX

Wandering Lunacy
. I X
August 19, 2015 : Seoul, South Korea

THE atmosphere of the apartment for the last four days has been odd. For the most part, no one’s interacted with anyone. Jun avoids both Ming Hao and Mei like the plague, only ever coming out of his room to leave for class, or to use the bathroom—one time they all sat at the table for dinner but when Mei tried—and she tried hard—to talk to Jun, he dodged her by dumping his plate in the sink and leaving for his room.

 

Not to mention that Mei and Ming Hao are still not getting along, to the point that Ming Hao blames Mei for almost everything and anything—she doesn’t have Jun to comfort her, and for some reason she misses that. Not to mention she’s been getting jaded calls from Lucca describing his situation, which she already knows about, and then calls from Bella describing how much she’s angered by her husband not even trying to locate her, or trying to apologize for what he did. Then there are the calls from Jing Jing saying how she and Soon Young will be coming over for the weekend, and that she and Jing Jing will go bridesmaid’s shopping since Mei just got the pleasure of the title “Maid of Honor”.

 

The café is honestly Mei’s only safe haven. Won Woo, Ming Yu, and Seok Min are always caring and supporting of her—yet never pry into her life. The café itself is someplace she can just relax in, when she’s not freakishly nitpicking her cleaning and serving ability, and thinking of ways to make Ming Hao like her better and for her and Jun to be on better terms; because, and she’ll never admit this, she misses him and likes when he’s around her.

 

“This right here,” Ming Yu begins while flicking his finger down at the small grayish cup filled to the brim with brownish warm liquid. “Is an Americano; its part water, part espresso. See that machine over there?” He flicks his index finger towards the metal like structure sat firmly on the counter. “That’s the espresso machine, in order to make an Americano; you have to know how to use that machine. All it does is shoot pressurized hot water through the ground coffee—but that’s just the espresso itself, mix espresso with anything: and you’ve got different types of espresso drinks.”

 

Mei smiles and nods her head as he places the drink on her brown serving tray. “Now, the lady in the bright yellow sundress ordered this and you should bring it to her before it gets cold.” He winks at Mei before turning on his heel to face the other side of the bar area. She momentarily scoffs before picking up the tray and making her way to the, at least thirty year old, lady sat in a booth reading a book quietly.

 

“Hello Miss, your Americano is ready.” Mei’s kind voice peaks the ladies interest enough to have her look away from her book and towards her drink.

 

She smiles, “Thank you.” Mei bows her head politely before backing up and making her way back to the counter, to take a seat on the bar stool. She lets her head fall onto her hand as she keeps her elbow propped up on the table. She watches carefully as Won Woo and Ming Yu work side by side making different coffee drinks—yet working in complete sync. If Won Woo needs a tin of milk, Ming Yu passes it to him. If Ming Yu needs the shaved coco Won Woo passes it to him. There’s no need for ‘behind you’ because the two know whenever they need to move around each other.

 

“It’s pretty cool, isn’t it?” Seok Min asks as he leans his arms on the counter and nudges Mei in the side with his body. She nods her head causing a full fledged smile to produce itself on Seok Min’s face. “They’re always like this. In sync, wait till there’s a day where we have too many customers to handle, they never sweat it. They can always work well together.”

 

Seok Min pushes himself off the counter and retreats to the register when the bell to the front door dings. “Hello sir, what can I get you?” He echoes his usual mantra.

 

“Um,” The voice makes Mei stop dead. Her head snaps over to look at the register and there standing—hands dug into his pockets, blonde hair curled into a mess, and nervousness his face—is Ming Hao. “Hot chocolate?” He mutters while sliding the money on the counter before practically sprinting to the nearest booth possible.

 

With hands fisted to the side of her body, Mei makes her way to him with a frown. “Don’t you have work?” She grits while sliding into the other side of the booth. His eyes droop into a glare as he drops his view to her.

 

“I’m on assignment.” He barks while crossing his arms over his chest. She takes an inward breath before letting it out. This is the last thing she needs—grumpy Ming Hao bugging her at work. At the apartment it’s fine, at work it’s not.

 

“For what?” She manages to ask without yelling.

 

His eyes waver away from her to glance at the three boys behind the counter. “Jun wants me to scope out the place and observe your working environment—he still doesn’t trust the guys you work with.” Mei blinks rapidly for a second. Jun is still worried? She thought that after that blow up he’d be over it and wouldn’t care anymore.

 

“Then,” She pauses to gather her focus and settle her nerves. “Why isn’t he here?” Ming Hao turns away from his observing to stare straight at Mei. His face contorted to where his gaze was a mix of narrowed eyes, pursed lips, and down gazing look.

 

“You’re not that stupid...are you?” He begins, but before Mei can retort he places his hand up to stop her and continues talking. “He’s in his culinary class. He gets out at five, and will come here to walk the both of us home.” Culinary? Jun’s going to school to become a chef? It makes since, at least she thinks it does. The few times she’s actually tried his food, it wasn’t that bad.

 

She bites her lip, “He wants to be a chef?”

 

“You didn’t know that?” He questions to which she shakes her head. If his glare could deepen, it would. It slightly pisses him off that his best friend cares so much about this girl who doesn’t even know anything about him. “Yeah, he wants to be a chef. Maybe if you actually talked to him he’d tell you all about it.” He bites back.

 

“Oh, you two know each other?” Both Mei and Ming Hao’s attention is thrown toward the new voice. To the side of the booth is Won Woo who gently sets down the hot chocolate in front of Ming Hao before bowing his head respectfully and offers his hand. “My name’s Won Woo.”

 

Ming Hao shakes the older’s hand. “Look, I might’ve said before I wanted her,” He flicks his eyes over at Mei before letting them drift back over to Won Woo. “To date one of you, but now that my best friend confessed he likes her—I have to back him up no matter how much I dislike her. So, just back off.”

 

“Ming Hao!” Mei glares while kicking his shin from under the table. She twists her view to Won Woo whom she lightly smiles at. “I’m sorry about him. Can you give us a moment?” Her boss nods his head before making his way back to the counter to rely as much information possible to his brother and Seok Min.

 

The blonde boy shakes his head, “Any of these guys could’ve dated you.”

 

“Do you mind?” She finally blows. Ming Hao’s eyes snap over to her in pure shock. Mei has never raised her voice at him; she’s usually calm and collected. But that hardened voice, and lack of empathy really catches him off guard. “This is my work. Disrespect me all you want at the apartment, I don’t care. But here, in this place, it’s not okay. I don’t walk into the establishment you work at and disrespect you, so don’t do it to me.” She takes a deep breath, and runs a hand through her hair. “This is the only place I feel comfort in. The only place where I’m not looked at as if I’m the worst thing to come to life.”

 

Ming Hao continues to keep quiet as he watches Mei run her fingernails along the chestnut table separating the both of them. He never noticed; he never noticed how much his words have come to hurt Mei. Like gasoline to a fire, that’s how his words affected Mei. Although, he usually doesn’t care what he says to people. Hell, the first thing he ever said to Jun was “You look like an egotistical .” But that didn’t change their relationship from where it is today.

 

“I think that after you finish your drink you should just go.” She whispers.

 

Ming Hao doesn’t object but instead watches as she gets up and walks over to the bar stool to which she was slumped on earlier. To say the least, Ming Hao has never felt bad for things he’s said. There’s never been a reason to, since people don’t usually stand up to him. That doesn’t mean he actually ‘sympathizes’ with Mei because he’s been a giant pain in her neck, it just means he understands why she’s upset with him.

 

Needless to say, Ming Hao didn’t leave when he finished his drink. He kept his phone in his hand and Mei suspects that he’s relying information about the shop and the three boys she works with, to Jun. He’s also ordered five drinks—all being hot chocolate—in the span of an hour. Not to mention every time she, or her three co-workers, pass by he manages to sputter out snide remarks like it’s a gift given to him at birth.

 

“So, who is he?” Seok Min asks as he leans across the counter to stare at Mei.

 

She glances over her shoulder to see Ming Hao blankly starring at his phone before furiously typing a message on it. With a huff, Mei turns her attention back to Seok Min. “He’s one of my roommates.”

 

“And he’s here because?” He continues.

 

Mei shrugs her shoulders, “Our other roommate told him to observe the café. To see if it’s in ideal conditions for me to work in.” Though it’s a small lie, Seok Min either doesn’t catch on or doesn’t seem to be bothered by it. “They’re just protective is all—like older brothers.”

 

“Then why did he say his best friend likes you?” Won Woo asks as he comes into a standing position next to Seok Min. “His best friend is your other roommate right?” Mei, caught off guard, nods her head at him. “They want to make sure you’re okay working with three unknown guys, and too also make sure you’re not dating one of us.”

 

Mei stumbles a nod as she drums her fingers on the counter. “Can I ask you guys a question?” The two boys nod their heads consecutively. “How—how do you end up liking someone?”

 

“What?”

 

She groans in embarrassment while running a hand down her face. “I’ve only ever had a crush on someone and that was back in school. I’m just wondering how you end up liking someone.”

 

Seok Min and Won Woo glance at each hesitantly. It doesn’t make since to them. Mei’s never liked someone since school? Seok Min swears he likes someone new at least every month. “Well, for me personally, it starts with attraction. After that it’s just a matter of getting to know that person and seeing if our personalities click. Then it’s just, seeing if our feelings are mutual.”

 

Is that how Jun’s thought process was. That because he’s attracted to her, and likes her personality—which she doubts—he likes her period. That doesn’t make since. Didn’t Ming Hao say Jun liked her in middle school? Then why did he avoid her? Why did he act like she didn’t exist? Besides, they can never be a thing. She doubts his parents would ever accept her as someone they want their son to date. Not to mention she doesn’t want to be near people from her past longer than she has to be.

 

“I think it’s more about whether or not you actually feel something for the person when you’re with them. Or if you’ve been with that person for a long period of time, and gradually your feelings get deeper.” Won Woo voices next.

 

Mei sighs, “How do you catch feelings?”

 

The question makes both men laugh. She must be really inexperienced. “Well, for example, if one day you begin to miss someone dearly; or if you notice yourself enjoying your time around this someone more and more. Then I’d say that maybe you do like that someone.”

 

Mei sighs, not even when she liked that kid in middle school did she ever feel that way. Is that how Bella and Lucca feel with each other or what about Jing Jing and Soon Young? And, is that how Jun feels about her? How do you suddenly go from barely being friends to just liking someone? She wants to feel that way, to like someone. But then again she doesn’t want to, because she can’t feel that way about someone without suddenly getting attached and nervous about not being able to leave.

 

“Do you guys like someone?” She asks.

 

Seok Min nods, “It’s hard not to like someone.” Mei wants to ask him what he means by that because she never feels like she has to like someone.

 

“I don’t know—every once in a while I like someone, but not on a consistent basis. It all depends on how close to that person I am.” Mei pouts as she leans her head on her crossed arms that lay on the top of the counter. The process of liking someone, trying to date that someone, only to either have it end in heart break or marriage: is somewhat intimidating to Mei.

 

To personal.

 

Seok Min taps her head causing her to look up at him, “Did you not have a teenage life? This is the kind of thing you learn at that time.” Won Woo smacks Seok Min on the back as if to say that’s a bit insulting and should learn how to keep his mouth shut since they don’t know her.

 

“Of course I did.” She mutters while looking away from them, just in time to see Jun come walking through the front doors of the shop. His eyes search through the shop slowly before landing on Mei who stares at him a little scared. “Let’s drop this conversation.” She mumbles as Seok Min finds his way to the register.

 

“Hello sir, what can I get you?” She asks as Jun takes his gaze away from Mei to look straight at Seok Min.

 

“Just some green tea.” He places the money down on the counter before retreating into the same booth as Ming Hao. It doesn’t go unnoticed by Seok Min, Won Woo, and Ming Yu.

 

Won Woo leans closer to Mei, “That’s the roommate that likes you?” She doesn’t answer, but Won Woo doesn’t need one. The way that boy keeps glancing at Mei, and the way Mei keeps reacting to him—it’s easy enough to see. “You don’t like him though.”

 

“No I don’t.” She mumbles, more to herself than to Won Woo. She can’t really explain what she feels for Jun. He’s just; he’s not the guy for her. “I just—I don’t think I’m the type of girl to ever date.” She voices.

 

Won Woo nods, “Or maybe you’re just not ready to date yet.” Mei nods her head as the cup of green tea is shoved in front of her. “Go serve it to him; try not to be awkward.” He says it so casually it makes her think that maybe Won Woo already knows too much about her personality—to the point he can practically outline it with a pencil.

 

She places the green tea on her serving dish before standing up and making her way to the booth that sits her roommates. Mei stays silent as she slips the green tea off her dish and onto to the table right in front of Jun. “Thank you.” He says in his polite voice as he offers her a small reassuring smile.

 

She can straight away tell that it isn’t his natural smile; the one that he usually wears around her. “You both should just go. My shift is over in four hours.” She states firmly, but the two boys ignore her. It’s not like she can force them out either—not with all the customers able to watch from wherever they’re sat at. So, she lets them be and walks away.

 

No matter what she did in the next seven hours of business, she could feel both boys watching her. The one time she accidentally spilled a bit of coffee on her arm, and screeched at the burn—the boys jumped to their feet, as did her three coworkers who quickly took care of her as the two boys watched carefully. Or the many times she went back and forth between cleaning tables, and delivering drinks—the boys watched with curiosity as she worked her hardest. Their eyes never wavered from watching, though she never expected them to.

 

By the time the shop was closing, Mei had changed into her regular casual wear and helped actually ready the shop for closing. When she finally made her way to Jun and Ming Hao, she surprisingly finds them both sleeping casually on the table with their heads resting on their arms which are sat on the table. If she was in the right frame of mine, she’d turn to leave and let Won Woo and Seok Min deal with the two. But she’s not; and she realizes this when she’s gripping the edge of Jun’s shirt and pulling it up and down. Soon enough he’s blinking himself awake and casually turning his head toward her.

 

“My shift’s over.” He manages to understand her—at least she thinks so—and rises to his feet. “Go outside, I’ll wake Ming Hao.” He nods his head drowsily as he runs a hand down his face. She’s practically glad that Jun’s half of asleep when she giggles—so unnatural to her and unlike her—at his state. He sluggishly walks out of the shop, stumbling into a few free standing chairs, and one corner booth—which only made Mei giggle more.

 

When Jun had finally made his way out of the shop, Mei takes a deep breath and sits on the edge of the seat he was previously sat on. The repercussions of giggling at such a meaningless sight finally kicks in. She giggled, at Jun. The last time she had done something so meaningless, she was back in middle school—laughing at one of those stupid jokes Jing Jing had made about one of their many teachers.

 

Is he really affecting her? Maybe she couldn’t see it before because she was so focused on trying to live her life without interacting with anyone; trying to keep herself safe. Yet unknowingly letting him change her in the slightest of ways. Then it makes her realize. She’s changed a lot more than just a giggle. She actually cares about other people besides those who have been in her life for a long period of time. Like the way she looks out for Ming Yu when he’s stumbling around the shop flirting with some of the many patrons; she’s there for when he subsequently fails at grabbing their attention. Or when Seok Min was yelled at by an angry customer for the coffee coming out cold and bitter; she was there to bring his bright smile back to his face. She’s there to support Won Woo with his new menu ideas, about serving actual food like eggs and bacon, or waffles.

 

Even Ming Hao.

 

She makes sure he’s there for breakfast, and dinner—and that he goes to work with lunch. She’s there making sure that he smiles at least once, even if it’s at the cost of insulting herself. Has she really changed this much? In one word: yes. Just this last week and few days, Jun has managed to make her more caring of others even though it takes her years to finally get to know someone. Like it took her a month to get use to Bella and Lucca who had taken her in because she was just a child. Yet, here she is caring way too quickly for people she met only a few days ago.

 

With a resonating sigh, she stands herself back up and steps around the outer edge of the table to reach Ming Hao. She doesn’t catch herself giggling once more at the sight of the drool coming out of his mouth and landing on his out stretched navy blue sleeve. He’s honestly like a little kid. “Ming Hao, it’s time to go.” She voices while shaking his upper body, gripping hold of his upper shoulder. He jolts awake like a car about to take off in a NASCAR race.

 

His eyes are a little droopy, his mouth smacking side to side to clear the little pieces of crumbs from the muffin he had eaten a few hours earlier, his nose crinkled because of the sudden wake, and his curls of hair pushed to either side of his head spreading out wildly in different directions. “Is it time to go already?” He whines in a quiet voice—like a deprived child.

 

She nods, “Yeah, come on. Jun’s waiting for us.”

 

With her fingers latched around his upper arm, she helps haul him to his feet and ultimately has to lug the taller boy outside of the shop herself. Because he’s way too tired to do it himself. To the point his head is leaning on the top of hers with his chin rubbing her hair and basically the top of her scalp. His hand has also somehow managed to grip the side of her cream colored sweater in such a way, she can’t make him let go.

 

She almost feels responsible for him.

 

“Do you need help, getting these two home?” Won Woo asks as she trudges herself and Ming Hao over to Jun, who’s leaning up against the side of the shop with his head digging into the wall and his hands trying to find something to grip.

 

She shakes her head and offers up a small smile, “No, it’s okay.” With Ming Hao latched to her one side, she grabs a hold of Jun by the elbow and twists him toward her. He blinks at her for a second, as if trying to figure out who she is. Though once the realization sits in that this is indeed Mei—his Mei, he smiles like a kid in a candy shop. That gummy smile Mei hasn’t seen in the past few days, and for some reason it brings a small shy smile to her face.

 

“Mei,” He coos in a sing-song voice as he grabs a hold of her free hand and interlocks their fingers together. “Let’s go home.” He whispers it in such a sweet, and caring tone it brings a fluttering and warm sensation to the pit of her stomach. A feeling she’s never felt before. In response she nods her head and lets him drag her to the edge of the sidewalk where the three—Jun holding her hand, with Ming Hao latched to the side of her—wait for the light to change.

 

She glances over her shoulder to see her three coworkers starring at her with amused faces, and Seok Min trying to cover up his laugh at the sight, because it’s honestly so peculiar. It’s like a mom, Mei, a father, Jun, and their childish teenage son, Ming Hao.

 

“I’ll see you guys tomorrow.” She tries to wave but suddenly Ming Hao is digging his fingers into her arm causing her to keep her arm stiffly by her side.

 

The walk across the street is such a sight that Won Woo, Ming Yu, and Seok Min all stand—not so still—and watch the three try and walk casually along the crosswalk, obviously failing at the casual part. The trio finally leave for Won Woo’s car when Mei gets the two of them in through the door and into their apartment.

 

Mei’s exhausted when she finally gets into their actual apartment. Jun is still tightly holding onto her hand, and Ming Hao is still holding onto her side. When she reaches the family room couch she grabs a hold of Ming Hao’s hand with her free one. “Ming Hao, why don’t you lie down? The couch looks awfully comfortable.” She tries not to sound so pleading, but her voice comes out that way. Thankfully, Ming Hao unattaches himself from Mei—wiping a bit of his drool on the top of her head—and trips his way to land on the couch, belly first.

 

With Ming Hao nestled into the couch she brings Jun to the plush swivel beige chair sat right next to the window and the couch. “Jun, can you sit down here for a second?” He nods his head, gives her hand a tight squeeze, before separating himself from her and falling into the plushness of the seat.

 

Mei glances between the two sleeping figures, before sneaking her way into the bathroom—and locking it, because yes Jun did install the lock. She rests her palms on the counter and leans her head down toward her chest. Today has already been to exhausting. Working her off while being watched, just amplifies the stress to be perfect in what you do. Not to mention lugging the boys up about three flights of stairs because the elevator is still not working. The emotional rollercoaster she’s been on today as well, didn’t help calm herself down.

 

Mei fixes her hair, damping the top of her scalp to rid of the drool Ming Hao had left her, before brushing her teeth and changing into the clothes, she had placed in the lower cabinet, for bed. By the time she’s done getting comfortable and relaxed, both of her roommates are passed out in the living room—snoring their brains out with the exception of Ming Hao who is only drooling. She smiles, amused at the sight, and walks over to the small hall closet—pulling out two sets of pillows and two sets of blankets. First she goes to Ming Hao, where she sets everything on the coffee table except for the brownish blanket which she lays over his body—making sure his feet and upper body are securely covered—before grabbing a hold of the blanket and moving to his head where she carefully lifts him up, and supplies the pillow underneath.

 

Next, Jun. His body is curled onto the chair in such a way, she’s sure it’s uncomfortable. She’s unsure of whether or not to just leave him and put the blanket on him, or move him to his room. Moving him to his room means she’d actually have to go in there…with him. She opts to leave him, and place the blanket over him, and press the pillow underneath his head.

 

But, before she can go to the security of her room, her upper arm is being gripped by his outstretched hand. She’s so shocked by the sudden touch she jumps a bit in the air and presses her other palm to her chest. “Mei,” He whispers in a heavy voice—to where it’s almost strangled, and it scares her a little. Like he’s about to supply her with information that could ultimately kill her. “You don’t hate me, do you? Not because of how I feel, right?”

 

Mei’s mouth falls slightly open at his words. Her brain can’t process his way of thinking. Like, how could he possibly believe that she would hate him because of what he feels? If anything she envy’s the guy for having feelings she can’t even begin to think about. “Jun, I don’t hate you.” She whispers the words so softly she’s unsure of whether or not he heard her.

 

He ends up smiling a little—notifying her that he did in fact hear her—but he’s suddenly embarrassed and rubbing his head into that of the pillow she had put next to him. After a second, he turns toward her, his eyes still droopy and tired, that sloppy smile still on his dorky face. “That’s good. I don’t want things to be like they have. I don’t like avoiding you Mei.” He slowly loosens his grip on her arm before his arm entirely drops and he’s back to sleep; almost like the conversation didn’t happen, and she imagined it all.

 

A u g u s t  2 0

2 0 1 5

S e o u l,  S o u t h  K o r e a

 

MEI’S the first one to wake in the morning. Her hair’s thrown into a bun on the top of her head, and her eyes are still trying to adjust to the light in the room, the old raggedy shirt—plastered with the words ‘I Love Nepal’—is curled into the side of her black leggings making it look like she has a bulge on the side of her hip. The first thing she does when she wakes up is go to the kitchen.

 

But she stops dead at the sight of her two roommates plastered in sleep. Ming Hao is falling off the couch, only one leg and his right arm hugging onto it, the rest of his body is lying on the floor and up against it. Somehow he got the blanket to wrap itself around his torso like a burrito with the pillow thrown in between the blanket and his back. Jun on the other hand is completely on the floor, the blanket lying on the chair he was previously lying on, and the pillow nestled above his arm and under his head.

 

To say the least, the sight is a mix between a little strange and hilarious. She’s not even sure if she should laugh because in a way it’s slightly pathetic. They didn’t even drink, yet they look as if they’re hungover in the worst of sorts. She makes the coffee extra strong this time, because she’s sure it will wake the two up when they down at least half the contents of their first cup.

 

She’s not quite sure when the two woke up—she was too busy getting herself ready for work—but when she leaves the bathroom and enters the kitchen—both boys are sat on the bar stools, heads leaning on the palm of their hands. “Morning.” She says as she makes her way to the coffee pot, and pours herself some in the small cup she set aside, before dropping a good portion of milk in with it. The two manage to grumble back a few ‘morning’s’ before downing the rest of their coffee—allowing her to fill the rest of their cups.

 

“What time did we get home?” Ming Hao groans.

 

Mei shrugs, “The shop closed a little late—one of our regulars needed to finish her term paper. So, it was almost midnight—maybe one.” Ming Hao glares at her; his eyes narrowing and starring down at her like she did something so inconceivable. When she’s pretty sure she told both of them to leave sooner rather than later—and look what happened.

 

“Are you going to work?” Jun asks quietly.

 

She nods, “My day off is tomorrow.” He doesn’t reply but instead just nods and sips some of the coffee she had poured him. “Anyways, I’d be grateful if the both of you didn’t bother me at work today.”

 

“We were just trying to see if that place is a good place to work at. A safe place.” Jun replies while crossing his arms over his chest to show his distaste at her words. “It wasn’t just for fun.”

 

Ming Hao sighs, “I’m not going there again. You can count on that.” He downs the rest of his coffee, before making his way—sloppily—to his room, where he slams his door straight after entering.

 

Jun cringes; Mei doesn’t, she’s use to it. “I’m sorry about him. He just has to—”

 

“Get used to me, I know.” That’s the last of their conversation as she’s heading to her room to change into her work attire. He doesn’t even try to say anything, he doesn’t really know what he would say. He can’t keep apologizing on Ming Hao’s behalf, at some point the two of them are going to get tired of his constant apologizes. And at another point Ming Hao’s going to realize he’s being a , and will try to repair his relationship with Mei—if she’s still forgiving.

 

Jun stops Mei short when she’s about two steps out the door. She stares over at him and realizes he’s changed for class—and that she still hasn’t asked him about his wanting to be a chef. “Here.” With he opens his hand up wide to show off a silver key. “I got it made a few days ago, but never had a chance to give it to you.”

 

She grabs it and holds it in her own hand. “It’s for the front door. That way you don’t have to keep knocking on the door to get in.” Especially when Ming Hao is the only one home, and he purposely doesn’t let her in for a good twenty minutes—blaming it on the fact the sound on the TV was too loud. “Now it’s really like your home.”

 

Tears spring to the edges of her eyes—it surprises her. Why is she suddenly crying? What triggered it? Why now—in front of him? Jun’s smile falters when he sees a few tears slip down her cheeks, but she wipes them away before he can really notice that she’s full fledge crying. “Mei, why are you crying?”

 

“I don’t know.”

 

She breaks then. Her hand clutching the key so tightly that it’s leaving marks on her inner palm. Tears are spreading down her face into a cluster on her chin, that’s it’s driving her mad. Her lip is quivering like Jing Jing’s had just a few days ago, and she has to hold onto the banister to keep herself upright.

 

Jun’s not even sure what to do in this situation. He feels the need to hug her, but the way she’s always pushing him away; maybe that’s not a good thing. But his heart beats over his mind, and he’s tenderly pulling her into his arms. One arm supporting her by holding onto her waist, and the other the back of her head. He finally feels reassurance—that he’s doing the right thing—when Mei grabs a hold of the sides of his shirt, and she buries her head further into his chest.

 

Neither of them are quite sure how long they stood there: Mei crying, Jun supporting her. But they’re pretty sure Ming Hao came out once before retreating back into his room when he sees them.

 

By the time she had quieted down, Jun had brought her over to sit on the couch, with him sitting on the coffee table directly in front of her. “Are you okay?” He asks tenderly his wariness overflowing. It takes her a minute, because honestly she’s not sure, but she ends up nodding her head anyways. “Do you want to talk about it?”

 

She takes a deep breath, one that makes her feel slightly better, like the type of breath you take when driving up a mountain—to get use to the air pressure and the oxygen levels. “It just, it—” She stops dead. Mainly because she doesn’t know how to word it right. “I traveled a lot because I felt pain. But when people asked me why I traveled, I always said it was because I wanted a sense of the world. When in reality I want a sense of home.” Her hands curl into the side of her shirt as he continues to stare at her with worried eyes.

 

“You had a home.”

 

She shakes her head, “No, I thought I had a home.” He stays quiet and watches as her eyes dart back and forth; her hand still clutching the key tightly. “This is home?” She questions. He doesn’t answer because he knows she’s not asking him but herself. “My own room, a closet, and a key to the front door.” She mumbles as she unclenches the key and stares down at it. “Home.”

 

“This is home.”

 

He realizes it then. That he was wrong with his earlier assumption of her. Mei is still that little girl he use to always cause trouble to. The little girl that he would hear scream at any point of the day—and he didn’t know why. The little girl who faked a smile for every moment of her life. That little girl is still there, hidden behind her façade that she made. The façade that she’s this strong willed backpacker whose okay with how her life has gone. But in all honesty—she’s not okay. She’s still broken; she’s still that little girl. That broken little girl.

 

 

a u t h o r s  n o t e :

It finally happened. I've finally written the chapter I've been dying to write for like the past month or so. This chapter concludes Part One of Wandering Lunacy. All I want to say is that the next Part (Part Two) has a small time skip. From like August to October. Nothing drastic happened in that time frame, but I don't want you guys to freak when you see the time suddenly change. Anyways, hope you enjoyed this chapter.

 

Anyways, thanks for reading!! ^^

 

coded by aleric | client: bapoverflowers