.XXI

Wandering Lunacy
. x x I 
N o v e m b e r  2 0, 2 0 1 5 : S o m e w h e r e  i n  S o u t h  K o r e a

MIN nudges Mei in the stomach, jolting her awake—her head nearly hitting the underside of Charlie’s jaw as she shifts off of his shoulder. With practical hearts shooting out of his eyes, and love blooming off his face, he scoots a bit closer to her. “Are you hungry? We can stop for food if you are.” He bats his eyes, a hopeful look lining his features, as he nervously taps his fingers against his knees and a tentative smile appears on his thin lips. Mei alters ungraciously away from him—nearly sliding onto the floor of the van—as she manages to scoot even closer to Charlie, to the point that he feels uncomfortable and so does she. Min watches with the upmost of his attention—circling his eyes over her as she continues to shuffles away from him and further down the leathered lathered seat.

 

“I’m good.” She replies, stuffing her hands into her pockets, and focuses her gaze to the front window of the car. Mei has absolutely no clue where she is; it could be the middle of the country side, or maybe they’re back in Seul, hell, four all she knows they could already be in North Korea. The view from out the windows is merely the freeway they’re driving on, a thick concrete road that overlooks fields of grass but when she looks father behind her she can see the distant skyscrapers of the nearest city. Lots of different cars fly by, and her eyes chase after the ones that resemble Jun’s red truck. A flash of nostalgia hitting her like a slap in the face. Specifically, the day she rode with him to his apartment for the first time. Sometimes she forgets how monumental that moment is in her life. It was the first day towards meeting her half-brother, Ming Hao, and the process leading all the way to now. When her eyes finally flicker away from the window, she sees Min almost pouting, trying to not look gloomy but failing miserably.

 

Mi Ja, being sat in the front seat next to General Roe who’s driving, peeks over her shoulder and looks between Mei and Min with what Mei presumes is an exasperated expression. “We’re not making any stops; we’re nearly to the border—if we stop now, we’ll never make it.” Mei’s eyebrows scrounge together in confusion as wrinkles former on her forehead in three wiggly rows. She doesn’t understand what Mi Ja is talking about. What does she mean when she says they’ll never make it? It’s not like they’re going to disappear off the face of the planet or die in the two minutes it takes to go through a drive thru. Besides, Mei’s been waiting for this forever—and it’s finally come, so why would they suddenly stop? They might stop, but she’ll continue on; and, from what she’s learned, Charlie will follow and then Min. Which means, if anything, Mi Ja will follow and General Roe will follow because of the information on his son. There would be no reason not to follow. Unless they got scared and ran.

 

Min leans toward Mei, his breath nearing her ear and flicking pieces of her blonde hair upward and to the side. She nearly grimaces at the smell of his tainted mint breath—a smell that she’s not quite fond of. “Don’t worry, I’ll keep you safe.” He pats the top of her denim jeans, in cause she shoves his hand off and crosses her arms over her chest. She’s not sure as to why he’s so touchy-feely. He must’ve been raised with the ability of comfort like Jun and Jing Jing. Or maybe he just enjoys being peoples comfort zone. Min on the other hand, doesn’t seem to understand why she’s not. Of course, he still doesn’t know Mei’s whole story so why would he? “Mei, do you not like being touched?” She lets her eyes gaze back toward him, annoyed at the most as her eyes narrow. Mainly because she’s not sure why he doesn’t get it. After everything he’s learned about her, he still doesn’t get it. The fact that she was abused, hinders her from letting people she doesn’t trust, touch her. Because she’s afraid.

 

“Leave her alone Min, and mind your own business.” Charlie murmurs as he readjusts his position: instead of his back lying against the gray leathered seat, it’s now partially leaning onto the door—giving Mei more room. From the corner of Mei’s eye, she can see Min forcefully glowering at Charlie who’s just shut his eyes and begun nodding off to sleep. Mei’s been noticing how Min glares at Charlie a lot lately. She knows it’s because she treats Charlie like family rather than a stranger, and that must bug Min; because, a stranger is how she treats him. It should be the other way around; but, Mei has no rhyme or reason to do so. She doesn’t like Min; there’s something off about him. What compels one to take care of another who you barely even know? Even if you are related by the blood circulating through your veins, it makes no since. At least, not to Mei. What does he gain out of it? So far, nothing more than Mei’s cold shoulder and a sarcastic, nagging, Charlie.

 

Min leans over his knees a bit to stare directly into Mei’s wavering eyes; a smile gracing his lips as well, to where it shows off his deep dimples. “Are you tired? You can use my shoulder as a pillow!” He leans back, Mei’s eyes following along with him, and pats the shoulder closets to her—signaling her to put her head there. Her eyebrows furrow as she looks between his patting hand and his smiling face. Definitely, there is something definitely off about him. Now she has to figure out what exactly is off about him.

 

“I’m fine, thank you.” She bows her head lightly, even going as far as trying to sound sincere about it—though, her voice comes out a little too rash and sounds like she’s being sarcastic. Once more, Min’s facial features fall as Mei shifts her gaze outside the window once more. A tinge of guilt rolling through her body when she does so. When she finally adjusts comfortably in her seat, she begins to realize how close they are to North Korea. Not as many cars begin travelling down the road they travel once they turn off the freeway. There are multiple men and woman wearing military uniforms—specifically army, and navy uniforms. In the distances she can see a thick concrete wall, the one Yoon A told her about, the Korean Wall. Yoon A said that for the longest time, people believed the Korean Wall didn’t exsit, but she knows otherwise. It’s a five-meter-long wall that stretches from east to west—separating the Koreas. She can even see two of the large polls, one having a South Korean flag that’s a bit closer to her, and another swaying a North Korean flag that’s a bit farther.

 

Mi Ja shifts upward in her seat, catching Mei’s attention. “We’re nearing Daeseong-Dong, up ahead should be the South Korean military personnel that will stay with us until we reach the border.” Once more Mei glances out the window, a tantalizing scenery revolving around her. Farming land all around, nearly no cars on the road, no people out and about. Where they are, near the border, it’s like a ghost town. So empty; it makes her nervous, over time she’s gotten so used to having many things around her. Cars, people, buildings; all of which are what she’s accustomed to, yet none of it being here. Yoon A even told her that the citizens of Daeseong-Dong have a curfew at eleven where there’s also a headcount by military officials. Any visitors that want to take a step into the town have to make a call two weeks in advance and then are followed and protected by military personnel. That’s a scary life. If something between the Koreas happen, the citizens of this town are easily caught in the middle of it (literally). They’re in what Mei considers, the danger zone.

 

Mei in a breath as she digs her fingers into her jeans and shifts her gaze to the carpeted floor of the car. Everything is too real. “Also,” Mi Ja calls again, shifting in her seat in nervousness—at least Mei presumes that the woman is nervous. Though she’s not quite sure, she’s never seen Mi Ja nervous. To be honest, all the people she’s sat to she’s never seen nervous. They’re always strong, and always okay. “The South Korean officials won’t treat us well; don’t do anything out of line. They believe we’re traders.” She moves to look over her shoulder, a pointed look sent right toward Min who sinks in his seat. Mei feels the car slowly come to a stop, before the engine turns off and a slight darkness take a hold of the car. When she finally peeks out from underneath her blonde hair, she finds military officials standing around their car, and a dark gray van sat nearly two feet away from them.

 

She can hear the officials bark orders at each other before a looming silence sits through the tense air. “Let’s go.” General Roe barks as he opens his door and takes a step out; Mi Ja following in tow, then Min. Leaving Charlie and Mei—the only ones to never experience this. A tighten breath escapes as she grabs a hold of Charlie’s hand and follows him out of the car. Immediately, they’re wrapped between soldiers of varying occupations. Generals, lieutenants, sergeants: all not daring to look at any of them. A wave of nausea hits her as she spots the weapons secured onto their belts: guns, and knives. She knows they’ve had evasive training to kill someone if they dared to hurt another. All she can do is block a punch which is nothing against a gun or a knife fight.

 

When they all reach the van, the soldiers separate them into two groups. General Roe, Charlie, and Min are sent to sit in the front three seats, soldiers occupy the middle seats, guns in hand, with Mi Ja and Mei sitting by their lonesome in the far back. An American Major General is occupying the driver’s seat. Outside in rows of three are South Korean and American soldiers alike, marching along as the Major General begins driving. Mei peeks over her shoulder to see their car still sitting in the middle of the road—not touched, nor moved. She shifts back in her seat and looks over at Mi Ja who keeps herself straighten up, her hands on her knees, and her eyes focused on the back of the seat in front of her. She looks like a professional; a secretary of sorts, someone who holds a high position like a CEO or CFO. “Isn’t this a bit much?” Mei whispers, leaning closer to Mi Ja so the older woman can hear. Mi Ja doesn’t move, nor acknowledge Mei as she continues to sit properly like an elite delegate would. Mei gets the gist. Talking is not something to do in this situation. She has to stay quiet, intimidating in her structure; hiding away her nervousness and fear. Even if it may be hard for her; because, Mei is the type of person to wear her emotions on her sleeve.

 

The ride isn’t that long, but it’s enough for Mei to feel like her heart might beat out of her chest. Maybe because no one will talk, or maybe it’s because every time she’d look out the window she sees the officers holding their weapons and wearing threatening looks sending a shiver down her spine. “We’re here,” Mi Ja whispers her fingers raking through her red hair for no apparent reason that Mei can figure out. “The Joint Security Area, otherwise known as the Bridge of No Return.” The Demilitarized Zone, that’s where we are. The car rolls forward, past green bushes, and wooden fences before coming to a stop a top white snow covering the wooded bridge that sits over barren land filled with even more snow. Before the car they’re in, sits another white caravan with three people standing in front of it. Two men are dressed in distinct military outfits, a light brown—nearing beige—color with red and yellow insignias lining the shoulder pads, the cuffs, the collar, and the bottom of their hats; along with a lone woman wearing a traditional Hanbok of yellow and pink a few feet behind and to the left of them. The only thing separating the South Koreans they’re sat with, and the North Koreans on the other side, is the Military Demarcation Line—which ends the territory between them. A thick line of tension runs along the air surrounding them as Mei once more leaves the van, only to be manhandled by a South Korean official.

 

She connects her eyes over at Mi Ja, who’s similarly being handled by another soldier. The only ones who are not are Roe, Charlie, and Min. Misogyny at its finest, Mei presumes. Maybe they think Mi Ja and her—because they’re woman—are easier to be rude to and maybe influence? Who knows, all Mei knows is that it’s rude and she doesn’t enjoy the pain she’s receiving from the clenched hand on her upper arm. The men cross over first, and Mei watches as the North Korean soldiers and the woman dressed in the Hanbok bow toward General Roe respectfully. Sometimes, Mei forgets how General Roe is very well known within North Korea—having been a major general in the army. Mi Ja is next, thrown over by the soldier holding onto her tightly, she nearly trips on the edge of the rotted piece of wood sticking out from underneath the snow; but, Min manages to catch her in time. Once more the North Koreans bow; as the official holding Mei pushes her toward the line. When she lands safely on the other side, she swishes her head to look over her shoulder to see the South Korean and American soldiers leaving the demilitarized zone to go back to their station. Once and for all, leaving Mei with the North Koreans.

 

There’s a wave of complete silence, a short time for everyone to realize they’ve walked into North Korean territory. Some who’ve been there before, other’s their first time: altogether, a scary and realistic moment. For Mei, she feels a wave of spookiness running over her body sending chills over and making goosebumps appear on her body. When she looks to her left and right, no one looks as scared as she does—making things even more sketchy to her. Why doesn’t anyone feel anything or at least show something besides stiffness?

 

After the silence is over, there are no greetings whatsoever. Instead Charlie, Min, and General Roe, are taken to one caravan with one soldier following along with. Mi Ja and Mei are taken into another van with the other soldier and the Hanbok wearing lady. The inside of the van, to Mei at least, is clean and sterile despite what she assumed would be gross and maybe smelly. She’s ridged as a pole as she’s sat between Mi Ja and the lady—the military man sat in front of them with a neutral expression that Mei can’t really understand or decipher. The ride to Pyongyang is just as quiet as the ride to the demilitarized zone. Except for the fact that Mei kept receiving questioning looks from the Hanbok lady. To which she found uncomfortable and a strange nuisance. She wasn’t quite understanding what the woman wanted from her, or what she wanted to say. Every once in a while the military man would shift his rifle around and make her shudder—her fingers curling into her shirt when doing so—and when he’d glance at her she felt extremely uncomfortable.

 

Mei expected Pyongyang to be ugly, dilapidated, rickety, and at the upmost: filled with terror. Yet, it was none of the above. The grey slathered streets were paved nicely with dashed yellow lines down the middle and thick solid ones on either sides; a few cars, of different models and colors, drive slowly and at the exact speed limit. Few people walk down the sidewalks: she spots business men and woman, a few families, excited teenagers, and the local police. The buildings that can be seen—mainly tall skyscrapers—seem to be filled with people and action. There’s a park to her left, that has perfectly sculptured plants and the greenest green of grass. Even the sky, which was filled with clouds earlier, is now a bright blue with scattered fluffy clouds. Birds chirp, dogs back, and cat’s meow—it all seems like the perfect place to live and settle within. Yet there’s an over looming question in her mind that makes her think that it’s all an act. An act put on to make her enjoy her stay—or something along those lines. Propaganda.

 

The van rolls to a stop in front of a large, triangular styled building made of what she assumes is some type of glass substance. “It’s the hotel you’ll be staying at.” A sweet textured voice mumbles from beside her—catching Mei’s attention when she slides her eyes to look at the Hanbok lady who smiles ever so lightly at her. “It’s for all the people who visit our home.” Your home, not mine. She slightly nods, and then returns her attention back to the large hotel in front of her. Please tell me I won’t have to stay here for too long.

 

When her feet land on the dusty almost white colored pavement, she’s instantly wrapped into a hug by none other than Min. She’s not even giving a chance to look around and observe. A sudden compulsion to both throw-up and to sock Min in the lower abdomen rolls over her in bucketsful of unpleasantness. “What are you doing?” She hisses as her fingers dig into his shoulder blades as she tries to pry him off of her. But, the man is way too strong and actually shoves her head into his upper chest a small ‘sh’ leaving his mouth as he does so. Blocking her view of nearly everything except for his navy colored shirt. “Min, let me go.” She mutters but it comes out in muffles as her hands curl into fists and begins pounding against his chest. A tingling sensation in her chest begins to make her feel antsy. Her anxiousness makes her feel like she can’t breathe and because of that her feet begin to step on his. She suspects that it hurts; yet, the boy doesn’t budge at all.

 

“Trust me, you don’t want me to.” He whispers as a hand glides its way from her lower back to the center of her blonde haired head to keep her in place. What is this insane boy talking about? But then it happens, she begins to understand what he means and why he’s kept her in place. It’s a voice. A calm, reserved, yet sultry voice that she is all too familiar with. Like a snake slithering through thin blades of grass, that person has reappeared in her life. All the things she tried to do to avoid this day from happening, has failed. That wicked, devious, menacing, has showed up in the one place Mei wished she hadn’t. Mei is thankful that Min is trying to protect her, like he promised, but she struggles out of his grip and stands still. This was bound to happen, why I ran from it was stupid. Even though there are tears begging to fall and painful prick behind the whites of her eyes, she turns on her heels and faces one of the devils of her life.

 

The woman, has aged, a quite a bit. What used to be her long honey colored hair is now short, chopped, pixie cut silver hair that contrasts interestingly with her tan skin and bright pink thin lips. She wears large darkened sunglasses that cover up what Mei use to call “demonic eyes” that are a deep color of brown where it looks like it’s almost onyx. She wears a yellow sundress, with a white belt around her thin waist, her shoes are large bright white heels, and her long nails are colored a bright purple, lavender even. She’s tall, taller than what Mei remembers, and she’s beautiful. If not for what she went through, the woman even looks trustworthy. If Mei thinks it can’t get any worse, the woman smiles—her pink lips separating a tinge to show off her straight, pearly white set of teeth. “Hello sweetheart, it’s been a while.” She says in a congenial tone, the smile still there.

 

“Hi,” Mei whispers her voice scratchy and prickly; because of the huge run of emotion flowing through her mind. She feels sick, more sick then before. She feels ireful, and melancholy. She feels poignant and traumatized. She feels like she could fall to the floor just from standing there right next to her. She feels like she’s breaking, internally, as she tries to keep it together on the outside. The people around her: Charlie, Min, Mi Ja, and General Roe all disappear from her mind as she focuses on the one woman in front of her.

 

Mom.”

 

The woman nods her head a bit as she glances between each one of the people standing with Mei. Her eyes glistening in the light as she passes one from the other—even over Min and Charlie whom she doesn’t recognize—and then looks directly back at Mei. “Your father will be here soon, he had to stay back in Xi’an to deal with work. He’ll be pleased to see you since it’s been such a long time.”

 

“Still a I see, Li Xue.” Mei hears Mi Ja mutter from beside her. When she peaks toward her, she sees the woman flick her red hair over her shoulder and let a ‘tsk’ leave . “Somethings just don’t change.” When Mei looks back at her mother, she can see the outline of where she wants to frown; but, doesn’t.

 

Instead, her mother let’s out a picturesque giggle and places a hand in front of to cover it up. “Oh, is that you Mi Ja?” She questions as her eyes open a bit wider in mock awe and she takes a tantalizing step toward her. “It’s been so long…how’s the ear? I hope it healed after our little,” The woman pauses to giggle once more—her body jolting backward before continuing. “incident.” Mei watches as the two-woman stare at each for a sharp-witted minute before her mother turns her attention to the man standing off to the right—hands crossed over his chest, and a frown on his lips. “Well, I’ll be damned, Roe Tae Il, is that you?” Before her mother can advance toward the scarred man, Mi Ja’s red fingernails grips tightly onto her mother’s arm—keeping her in place.

 

“You know, I’m no fan of Roe,” Mi Ja pauses to lift her hand off of Mei’s mother, and wipe off her fingers on her clothes—as if her mother has cooties or something along those lines—before snapping her eyes up toward the woman and glowering. “But off Li Xue, why the hell are you even here? Nobody invited you!” Mei’s mother stay’s firmly in a happy stance with a smile still on her lips. Her mother has always been good at keeping her emotions in check.

 

Her mother takes a step back, running a hand down her clothes before looking back at Mei. “News travels fast; when I heard my darling daughter was heading to North Korea, well, I needed to know why.” The woman tilts her head to the side as a flutter of confusion runs along her features. “As to why she brought you two, and,” She stares between Min and Charlie before looking back at Mei. “whoever these two are, I’m not quite sure. But, I hope that you’re thinking of following your father and I’s footsteps. We’ve raised you to do so. Unfortunately, you disappeared before we could finish the full of your training.” Li Xue pauses, an almost loving look clouding her face. “So, sweetheart, what are you doing here?”

 

Mei stares at her mother, opening and closing a few times—in her attempt to answer—yet not being able to. She’s thoroughly surprised when Mi Ja steps in front of her and crosses her arms over her chest, taking the initiative to shut her mother up. “Li Xue, I’ve always known you’re a ; but, daring to call Mei your daughter is step into calling you ing crazy. And don’t even get me started on the fact that you completely recognize the man standing next to me,” Her long fingernail points out toward Min who keeps his eyes casted down toward the floor—too nervous to look at his birth mother in the eye. “Knowing who your son is and not doing a thing about it just proves that you’re a psycho . And you definitely recognize this man,” She moves her finger over toward Charlie who’s almost—from what Mei can see—smirking at her mother. “because you killed his best friend who happens to be your younger brother you crazy, ignorant, psycho, of a .” Mi Ja uncrosses her arms to run a hand through her hair as another ‘tsk’ leaves . “And people have the audacity to call me the devil.”

 

Mei’s mother—Li Xue—doesn’t dare to look at Min, but instead focuses her gaze on Charlie. And Mei knows that the woman is wondering how the hell he’s here with her daughter. Her eyes narrow as her lips finally twist out of a smile and into a sour look. “Wang Charlie?” Charlie, who’s still smirking, nods his head ever so lightly. Her mother fundamentally looks like she’s going to shriek from resentment, or, at least, something resembling it. “It’s been so long; how have you lived? Pleasant, I hope.”

 

“Better than you, discernably.” He responds as his eyes travel down the woman’s body in quaint dislike. “You didn’t age well, I mean, yikes.” Mei can’t help but nearly puke at the expression she sends toward Charlie—an expression she knows so well, an expression she used to be on the other end of. The look that says she just might attack if Charlie doesn’t watch himself.

 

Astonishingly, her mother ignores Charlie, and places her attention once more on Mei. “They’re holding a gala tomorrow evening; and I’m only assuming, but knowing you, you don’t have anything to wear to it. So, go unload your things and then we’ll go shopping.” Her mother swivels on her heel to face the opposite direction and point outward. “There’s a quaint little shop that a woman I know runs. She’ll love to meet you.” Finally, no one interrupts Mei, as she takes a step next to Mi Ja, and wraps her arm around the older.

 

“Sorry, I promised Mi Ja to go with her.” She replies, earning a nod from Mi Ja.

 

Her mother’s smile swishes off her face as she glances between Mi Ja and Mei. Something in Mei’s stomach isn’t sitting well as her grip tightens on Mi Ja’s arm. “Well, isn’t this great? First my husband, and now my daughter.” Li Xue lets a mild mannered chuckle leave as she crosses her arms over her chest. “Just know, Mei Fen, where there is a devil, there’s hell.” Mei felt nearly assaulted by the look of absolute disgust on her mother’s face; one that said she just chose the wrong route on her journey. “Go on, have fun, I’ll see you tomorrow.” Her mother begins to walk off, yet, before leaving she throws one line that nearly makes Mei want to curl into a ball, and disappear never to be seen again.

 

“With your father.”

 

“God, she’s such a .” Mi Ja mutters with a cross of her arms.

 

Mei lets go of her and takes a step back from where she stands. Min—trying to keep himself together yet failing because he just saw the woman who birthed him—places a hand on Mei’s shoulder and guides her away from where her mother was, and faces her toward him. She glances up at him, her eyes glazed over with an onset of tears, and just for a minute the two siblings stare at each other. Both completely unsure of what to do or say in this situation; neither of them had siblings while growing up, so they don’t know how to comfort one another or even how to comfort another human being. “You can’t cry.” Min whispers as his fingers begin to tighten on her shoulder. Mei bites her lower lip, nodding lightly in agreement. She knows she shouldn’t cry. She knows it’ll make her look weak. Yet, what is she supposed to do? She can’t help but want to cry in this situation.

 

After years of trying to escape her mother, her father, her past—it’s finally come crashing down on her. No matter how much she tried to build herself up, to make sure that if this situation did happen she would be prepared, she couldn’t actually train herself for this. Seeing her mother and talking to her is not something she could ever imagine. Her mother was so calm, like always, and acted like what happened never happened. She knows her father will do the same, except worse because that’s who he is. He’ll be way worse. Her mother was fair, and curt—she played nice…her father doesn’t even know the meaning of the word.

 

“You can’t cry for her. You have to be strong; not for her, but for you.” Mei has had no intention to be ‘close’ to her brother. She felt there’s been no need to. Yet, in this very moment, instead of pushing him away—she drags him closer. In an attempt to cover her cries, she falls into his chest and wraps her arms around his waist. Min, in return, wraps his arms around her shoulders and uses one hand to rake through some of her blonde hair.

 

Nearly a second into the hug, Charlie manages to rip the two apart from each other. Glaring in Min’s direction, and pushing Mei a bit further backward. “That’s bad advice,” He states, pointing his finger accusingly at Min before he’s turning his attention toward Mei. “Look, it’s okay to cry—to show what makes you upset. It doesn’t hinder you, or make you weak—it makes you strong, and it makes you understand what does in fact hurt you. That’s not damaging; that’s beneficial. You should use that to your advantage. Utilize it, knowing what, or who will hurt you in the long run. Crying because you’ve met the people who ruined your life, isn’t harmful.”

 

“It is harmful!” Min states as he tries to grab Charlie’s arm.

 

The older shakes his head and evades Min’s advancements. “No, what’s harmful is keeping it all inside until you blow up and take it out on the people who are trying to help—that’s harmful.” As if being snarky isn’t enough, Charlie takes a step toward Min and shoves his finger into the younger boy’s chest. “People like you are harmful to society; because, you keep your emotions locked up and act like everything’s fine when it’s not. Don’t you dare shove your inconsiderate, vulgar, and indecent emotion hiding techniques onto Mei!”

 

“That’s enough,” Mi Ja intervenes as she shoves Min toward General Roe—whom dodges out of the way before the boy can crash into him, ultimately making the boy fall to the ground—and stands next to Mei with a firm posture and serious look. “I’ve had about enough of you boys trying to make her do what you want. She’s more than capable of forming her own opinion, and she doesn’t need either of you telling her what to do. She’ll do what she pleases, whether that’s crying or not. Now, can we all, just for a few seconds, act like civilized people and walk into that damn hotel so we can all get out of this place quicker?”

 

Mei nods her head in agreement as Mi Ja walks towards the doors of the hotel—the Hanbok wearing lady, and the two soldiers following in tow. General Roe, after a quick glance in Mei’s direction, jogs after. Leaving Mei with Charlie and a gruff looking Min who’s pulling himself off the floor. “God, she’s such a sometimes.” Min mutters darkly as he swipes his hands against his jeans.

 

“Agreed.” Charlie comments as the two go waltzing inside.

 

Mei huffs, running a hand down her face as she takes a deep breath in. She’s not quite sure what she’s supposed to do, nor does she know if she’s supposed to act in a certain way. Her brain tells her to keep her emotions inside so that no one—especially her parents—will know she can be affected by others words. On the other hand, her heart tells her to cry, and scream like a little girl until she feels better. Yet, all she really wants to do is hightail it back to Seoul, back to the apartment, and be hugged by Jun; because, his hugs are the only thing on the planet that makes her feel safe and comfortable, loved even. But that’s not possible. So, for now, she’ll it up; and with her hands running through her strands of hair, she walks into the hotel—not taking one glance back. Because, she swears if she does, she’ll dive that caravan the hell away out of this hell hole.

coded by aleric | client: Bapoverflowers