.XXVI

Wandering Lunacy
. X X V I
September 9, 2016 : Seoul, South Korea

A spacious café, in the middle of Seoul, it’s run by a man who caters to students of all kinds who need a nice place to relax and do school. His younger brother, a flirty boy by nature, is the head barista and is the man who knows espresso. His best friend, a man who obviously smiles too much, stays at the cash register to greet every over worked and tired customer. There was, at one point, a server who worked there. She was interesting, and had a past to prove it. But after the month of December, she quit and began her work to get an education. You see, she never finished her last year of schooling. She never went to university. She was convinced, by not only her newly married best friend, boyfriend, and younger brother but also a note she had found while packing that was written by a man she truly cared for. After finishing her GED, she began to go to community college. Her boyfriend, a person who pries way too much into people’s personal lives, finally got his bachelor’s degree and began to go to school for his masters. Her younger half-brother, who happens to be an annoying young man, continues to work at the same comic book store while he tries to become a graphic designer. Her good friend, finally had her baby named him Alessandro, recently rekindled her relationship with her husband after months of fights. And her best friend, recently married, has been traveling around South Korea with her new husband.

 

Only recently, has she come back.

 

Hence the café, the group of five—excluding the couple from Italy—agreed to meet there. The younger brother, gets there first. Grudgingly he orders a hot chocolate, from the overly hyper cashier, before burying himself into a booth. And then, she comes. Her blonde hair has once more been cut (now just above her shoulders) her eyes look more like she’s happy (no longer lost and full of worry) she even slumps her shoulders like she’s relaxed.

 

The man behind the cash register gapes at her, “Mei Fen, is that really you?” A smile blooms on her face as she recognizes the happy, smiley man, as Seok Min. The two, along with Won Woo and Ming Yu, haven’t seen each other in a while. You see, after certifying Charlie’s death, Mei came to find out that he had left everything he had: to her. Including his apartment. Seeing as his apartment is nicer, in a better side of town, and has a working dishwasher: the three roommates moved in. This was soon after quitting work at the café, and begin to get her GED. Which meant, the four of them haven’t seen each other because she had no reason to go to the café. As there are thousands of them around Charlie’s old apartment.

 

“Wow, it’s been awhile.” She murmurs, more to herself. The boy exits from around the counter, dragging the other two with him, to greet the female.

 

Ming Yu instantly drags her into a hug, “You look better noona.”

 

Seok Min agrees, hugging her soon after Ming Yu. “You look happy.”

 

Won Woo is the last to hug her, not exactly smiling but something near it. “How have you been?” He whispers in her ear, as he tightens his grip on her. She gently embraces him back; whispering a short ‘good’ in response. “I’m glad.” There’s no doubt, that the past Mei—the one who had an aura of sadness—put these three men through a lot of trouble. They didn’t know much, they still don’t; but, she still made them worry after making them care for her.

 

“What brings you here?” Seok Min asks as she and Won Woo separate.

 

Her hazel eyes glance around the room, before landing on the auburn haired boy in the corner booth. Her arm stretches out, before she points at him and looks back at the three men. “My friends who’ve been gone for a while, have agreed to meet up with me and my roommates.” Ming Yu nods, his eyes widening in realization.

 

“That’s the mean one, right? I remember him.” The youngest states.

 

Won Woo pats her on the back, causing her to look up at him. He smiles, “Go ahead, I’ll make you a cappuccino and grab you a banana muffin.” A grin spreads across her face, he still remembers my order? How silly. She does as says, after a slight bow of thankfulness, and heads over to Ming Hao.

 

“Little brother, I’m here.” She announces, and can practically feel the bloom of dislike spread amongst the room from the tall boy in front of her. Although Ming Hao hates to admit he doesn’t mind being related to Mei, he won’t allow the older female to address him as family. He’d rather let everyone think they aren’t related. She’s not sure why—it’s a personal preference she guesses—but every once in a while, to torture him, she calls him ‘little brother’.

 

He clenches his fist as she sits across from him, “Annoying, you’re annoying!” A slight laugh leaves as she places her bag in between her and the wall. “I don’t know why you have to say that. No one needs to know we’re related, except for the people that know…got it?” Although she doesn’t agree, Mei nods her head, giving her brother a little happiness.

 

“I just like calling you my little brother; because, you’re my family,” A blush of a deep pink spreads across Ming Hao’s cheek, an awkward cough rising out of his mouth, he even scratches the back of his neck. He’s so awkward.  Mei continues, as if she doesn’t notice the poor boy’s awkwardness with the word. “I want to brag that I have such an awesome younger brother.” His mouth dries, as if he wasn’t expecting such nice words.

 

Even though the two still live together, and are related: they treat one another the same. And what I mean by that, is Ming Hao’s still a giant childish who’s mean to Mei every chance he gets. And Mei, is still her quiet, observing self who doesn’t care what Ming Hao says. So, yeah, he’s surprised she’s actually nice to him despite all of his meanness. “Well I guess—”

 

The conversation is suddenly put to a halt when Jun flings himself into the booth next to Mei and wraps his arms around her. He snuggles his head into her and clasps his hands together—a smile on his face the entire time. “Did you miss me?”

 

“She saw you this morning, you fool.” Ming Hao shouts, thwacking Jun’s leg with his foot. Jun glances over at his best friend, seeing him pouting like a child, and grins. He presses a swift peck to the side of Mei’s head; before, he crawls out of the booth and heads over to Ming Hao. Just like what he did with Mei, the boy wraps his arms around the other.

 

Snuggling into him like Ming Hao is a teddy bear, “Did you miss me too?”

 

“You disgust me.” The younger mumbles, even though he allows the older to hug him, and even pats his arm in comfort. Mei only watches them with a smile, it’s nice to see that they’re still the same after all this time. After moving into Charlie’s old apartment, the three’s interactions dwindled. Ming Hao became increasingly busy with trying to start his career as a graphic designer, Mei was never seen because of starting college for the first time, and Jun was absent because of him beginning his masters. Their interactions, while rare, always seem to have stayed the same after all these months.

 

“How was class?” Jun asks as he settles down in his seat next to Ming Hao.

 

Mei shrugs her shoulders, her fingers attaching to a piece of her hair, twirling it. “It went fine; my teachers are nice, and the students are too. It was mainly just introductions today, that’s all.” The two boys across from her, nod their heads in sync just as Won Woo comes over with a cup of hot chocolate, a cappuccino, and a banana muffin. “Thank you.” Mei says sincerely, letting her fingers graze the top of his hand. He bows, sending another smile her way, before leaving the table.

 

Jun clears his throat, grabbing her attention. She doesn’t even have to look at him to know that he’s jealous: of a little hand touching, what a weird boy. “You’re so stupid.” She comments, causing him to fain hurt—even going as far as putting a hand over his heart and gaping at her.

 

“I’ve been saying that for years.” Ming Hao mumbles, after sipping his drink.

 

Jun elbows him in the side as Mei takes a bite of her banana muffin, just before it’s stolen by Jun who nearly shoves the whole thing in his mouth. After he’s done swallowing at it, he points down at the wrapper. “I love banana muffins, just like you, which means we’re meant to be.” And then he smiles at her, expecting her to swoon—though she never does—but instead she points at his teeth.

 

“You’ve got a crumb between your teeth.” She states with no laughs.

 

The laughter comes from Ming Hao, who nudges Jun in the side as he simultaneously bangs at the edge of the table. “What’s so funny?” The three look over to the side, to see Jing Jing and Soon Young—the cute couple—standing there with wide eyes and smiles.

 

“Where did you come from?” Ming Hao mutters in surprise.

 

“My mom.”

 

She scurries into the booth next to Mei, quickly pulling her into a hug while Soon Young exchanges looks and converses with Ming Hao and Jun. “I missed you so much!” The brunette pulls back, just enough for Mei to see the tears welling up in her eyes. A small chuckle leaves the blonde’s mouth as she reaches up, and brushes them away with her thumb.

 

“Stop crying.” She states, reaching over and patting her back.

 

Jing Jing grins, making some of the tears fall down. “Have I ever told you how happy I am to have you in my life again?” Before Mei can react, Jing Jing’s arms are flailing around and catching her into another hug. “You don’t know how much I love you!” The girl chokes back on tears as Mei pats her back a few times. This seems to be a recurring conversation, ever since Mei explained what happened the few months before Jing Jing’s wedding. It was a huge ordeal. Ming Hao beat himself up for leaving and not staying around. Jing Jing couldn’t sit for longer than a minute, had to keep getting up because she was in tears. Jun couldn’t stop asking if Mei was okay to explain the story. And Soon Young just sat there like an awkward teddy bear.

 

“I love you too, dork.” Mei responds, pushing at the side of Jing Jing’s head.

 

The brunette smiles, glancing to her right to see Mei’s cappuccino, and quickly takes a sip from it. Despite not asking, Mei doesn’t seem to have a problem with it. “So, where did you two go this time?” Jun asks, as everyone shifts to face one another.  Jing Jing, of course, answers as Soon Young watches her face light up with happiness.

 

“With Mei’s useful help on how to save money when traveling, we went to Jeju!” The brunette squeals with happiness. After traveling for so long, working odd jobs, only staying at cheap places, eating cheap food, and making sure to not spend money—Mei’s advice was sure to help. “Oh it was so romantic there!”

 

Mei can practically feel Ming Hao’s dislike already, “I’d rather not hear about the romance. Let’s just move to another topic, please.” Jing Jing laughs as she reaches across the table and pinches his cheek.

 

“Are you still awkward with girl’s little brother?” She comments.

 

Ming Hao flushes a deep red, “Shut-up, and who said you could call me little brother?” The two begin to fight with each other, sending petty insults at one another. Meanwhile Jun and Soon Young converse with each other, both bragging about their relationships. When Mei twists her head to the right, she sees Seok Min, Won Woo, and Ming Yu talking animatedly to one another—everyone is happy. Mei’s happy, finally.

 

After everything she went through, she deserves happiness. Although she still has much ahead of her, the upcoming trial of her parents in China, she’s ready and is in a better place to deal with it. Maybe, through her journey, she didn’t handle things the best. And, she sure as hell didn’t do everything perfectly. She was rash, over the top, and increasingly scared. Yet, she’s happy she got through with it, and managed to come out on top. When she looks at her friends, and her family, she knows for a fact that wherever she goes in life: she’ll never be alone. Not like before. Her past is no longer something she runs away from, her parents are not the monsters of her childhood, and she is longer the little girl who had to put up a façade for everywhere she went.

 

Most of her life was spent wandering around the world, another good part of it was dealing with her lunatic past and family, now it’s about time to put that part of life behind her. And start anew.

 

T h e  E n d

coded by aleric | client: bapoverflowers