Cinderella

What Once Was Lost...
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            Yesung knocked on the door and walked into the game room with nothing but a cup and a pot of coffee to bring for Kyuhyun.  As soon as the door opened Kyuhyun paused his game and looked over at him.  “About damn time you got up here,” he complained.

            “For that I do apologize.  I was waiting for a text to say that you were ready to have breakfast and then when I said something to Ryeowook about how you weren’t up yet, he corrected me by letting me know you’d eaten before I even woke up this morning,” he said, setting down the cup and filling it with coffee.  “I don’t see any dishes though; did Ryeowook come up to get them already?”

            “No, I ate downstairs,” Kyuhyun said.

            “Oh, I see.”

            “Sit down for a minute, I need to quiz you about something.”

            “What’s that, sir?” Yesung asked, his brows rising as he looked directly at his boss.

            “It seems strange to me that after hiring a string of cooks that you’d suddenly only hire one on for a short time.  I’m trying to figure out what the reason is,” he began.

            “I believe you answered your own question, sir.  Each cook I hire one, you either fire them or they walk out because they can’t stand you.  So, this time when we’re able to put out a decent ad I’ll do a string of interviews and have you test out the ones I think most qualified before we bother hiring them.  I figure once your cousins leave we can spend some time tracking one down.  In the meantime, we’ll keep the new kid on.”

            “Why don’t we just hire Ryeowook, I’ve liked everything he’s made so far?”

            “You don’t think his cooking is too ordinary.  We could hire an Italian chef or—”

            “No, no!” he quickly interrupted.  “I’m not hiring some damned specialty cook.  I want normal food!  Just hire Ryeowook and be done with it.  And get him a damn uniform, all his clothes don’t fit him right.”

            “Well…the trouble is, we don’t have any uniforms small enough for him, so I’d have to order new ones and that would take several weeks to get here.  And, of course, I didn’t bother ordering any already because I figured he wouldn’t be here more than a month.”

            “He can’t wear those clothes when my cousins are here, it just isn’t right,” said Kyuhyun, taking a sip of his coffee.  “And even on his days off, he can’t walk around in that crap or Heechul will complain about it.  How about this, why don’t you take him shopping this afternoon and get him some clothes appropriate for the kitchen and then some normal clothes and some shoes and a jacket and .  Then burn all of his old so he never wears it again.”

            Yesung had to suppress a smile.

            “Make sure it’s somewhat fashionable and that it fits him right,” he said, leaning onto his side so that he could dig his wallet out of his back pocket.  He pulled out a wad of 10,000 won bills and set it on the table between him and Yesung.  “Just put anything more that you spend on the house account credit card.”

            Even Yesung was impressed.  “Basically, you’d like me to get him a whole new wardrobe.”

            “Yes,” Kyuhyun said, picking up his controller and restarting his game.  “And burn the rest of it.  If you find clothes that are good enough for cooking in, just skip ordering a uniform until they wear out.”

            “Of course.  I’ll take him out myself,” Yesung promised and grabbed the money before heading for the door. 

            “One more thing.”

            Yesung turned around. 

            “I hope that you’re not trying to exclude the new kid by leaving him out when you go out together.  I felt bad that he was stuck with Kkoming last night.”

            “I’m sorry, sir.  It was date night and he would have made it an uneven number.”

            At this, Kyuhyun paused the game again and looked back at him with a questioning look.  “So, you went with Sungmin I take it?”

            “Well, Shindong brought his fiancée and Eunhyuk and Donghae went together, so that’s a bit obvious.  But perhaps I should ask Ryeowook to come with me next time, just so he doesn’t feel left out.”

            Kyuhyun frowned.  “I think Ryeowook would suddenly become an enemy to Sungmin if you did that, so for his sake, you better not.  I was just making sure you weren’t excluding him on purpose.”

            “Why would you care if I did?”

            “Well, I…”

            “It’s okay for you to pick on the new people but not for the rest of us?”

            “Shut up and go away,” Kyuhyun complained moodily as he turned back to his game.

            Yesung smiled to himself as he exited the room and rushed down the stairs to the kitchen.  Ryeowook was already preparing a salad for lunch later and looked up at Yesung with a smile as he entered the room.  “I have a bit of good news for you, young man.”

            “What’s that?”

            “Mr. Cho has decided that he approves of your cooking and hopes to hire you on fulltime as our new cook,” he explained.

            Ryeowook jumped up in the air and then immediately hugged Yesung in his excitement.  “Oh, this is wonderful!  I’m so relieved.  This is such a nice place to work and you all are so good to me!”

            “But, since we do have guests arriving in the morning, Mr. Cho wants us to go out and get you some decent clothes to wear while you are cooking.  And for when you’re not cooking but are in the house.  And for when you’re not in the house.  His family is a little persnickety about appearances, so we have to get you something a little more trendy to wear when you aren’t preparing food or they’ll accuse him of not paying you enough,” Yesung said, trying to find a way to explain it to the young man so that he wouldn’t feel embarrassed but he noticed his cheeks still turn a little pink despite his attempts.

            “Um…I don’t have enough money to replace that much of my clothing quite yet,” he admitted, unable to look Yesung in the eye as he said it. 

            “Well, since this is part of your new uniform, Mr. Cho will be footing the bill on it.  None of us pay for our uniforms around here, that’s provided,” he explained, trying to make it sound completely normal. 

            “Okay,” Ryeowook nodded, sounding as if he bought into it.  “I don’t really know where I should shop though.  I haven’t bought new clothes for years now.”

            “Don’t worry,” he said, pulling his cell phone out of his pocket and typing out a message.  “I can’t believe I’m doing this willingly but I know just the person to call to help us out with that.  Just make sure that you plan to make something low maintenance for dinner since we’ll probably be gone several hours.”

            Ryeowook nodded and continued preparing lunch as Yesung went up to his room to change into regular clothes for shopping.  It was going to be a very long afternoon.

 

            “Red looks so cute on you!” Sungmin said, twirling his finger to make Ryeowook turn around in a circle and nodding approvingly.  “You have such a good figure.  I’m too broad in the shoulders, so I have trouble getting the right fit in shirts.  Of course, we’ll still have the dress shirts tailored so they hug you just right but even the t-shirts and sweaters fit you well.  You look good in colorful clothes.  Don’t you think this one would go well with that stocking cap we bought at the last store, Sungie?”

            Yesung turned their direction.  “Which one?  You bought about a dozen of them.”

            “They were on clearance since it’s spring now,” Sungmin defended himself.  “The navy one.”

            Yesung was long since bored with their excursion and merely nodded before he went back to reading his newspaper, sitting on the store’s bench.

            “We’ve bought so many clothes already, aren’t we going a little overboard?” Ryeowook asked.

            Up to this point, they’d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter