Morning People

What Once Was Lost...
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            Kyuhyun cursed himself when he woke early and decided to get a jump start on playing the next game only to find the room freezing cold because he’d forgotten to close the window, despite his butler’s reminder.  The moment he saw Yesung, he was going to get it.  In the meantime, Kyuhyun decided to get some coffee and ran down the back stairway to brew a pot.  As it was only a little after seven in the morning, he didn’t expect to see any of his household staff up and about yet, so nothing surprised him more than walking into a well-lit room with someone cutting bread at the counter.

            “Who the hell are you?”

            When the other turned around, he was surprised to see that it wasn’t a woman in the room but a slim, short male, suddenly recalling the conversation he’d had with Yesung the night before.

            The man smiled brightly and gave a slight bow.  “My name is Kim Ryeowook.  I’m the cook here.”

            “Cho Kyuhyun,” he said, walking around the smaller man to get to the coffee pot, which was already full.  He frowned, liking his coffee a bit stronger than most people could stand but he held out a little hope that it wasn’t terribly watered down since it was nearly black in color.

            “Oh, sir, it’s so nice to meet you!”

            “God, you’re one of those perky morning people, aren’t you?” he groaned.  “I’ll be nice and give you fair warning—which is more than I do for most people—it’s best to just ignore my existence until I’ve had at least two cups of coffee.  Yesung won’t even speak to me until I’ve been awake for an hour or two.”

            Kyuhyun spotted him smile and turn back to his work as he finished pouring his coffee.  The new cook continued to cut the bread until he reached the end and then started on a second loaf. 

           “Don’t they make pre-cut bread?”

            “You can buy pre-cut bread in the store but since there was no bread in the house, I made some dough, let it rise overnight, and then baked it earlier this morning.”

            “That seems like a lot of work.  Why didn’t you just have Hyuk go to the store?”

            “Well,” he said, seemingly unperturbed by Kyuhyun’s criticism, “for one, Eunhyuk is sound asleep at the moment and second, French toast tastes so much better with fresh baked bread.  But perhaps I shouldn’t assume you like sweet stuff in the morning.  Maybe you’d rather have something greasy, like eggs and hash browns.”

            There was a long silence before Ryeowook turned to him, his brows arched as he appeared to be waiting for an answer.  “Depends on my mood.”

            “Well, I hope that this will suffice for today since I used the last of the eggs to make the batter,” he explained, stacking piles of bread onto a tray and walking it over to the stove.  “And there wasn’t any bacon or sausage so I have to fry up some ham instead but I’ll head to the store and remedy those problems later this morning.”

            Kyuhyun realized he was just standing there staring at him as he worked but he couldn’t have cared less.  It didn’t seem to make him nervous that his new boss was watching his every move and he wasn’t sure what to make of that.  He brought the cup of coffee to his lips and began to sip.  It took him a moment to realize that it wasn’t remotely repulsive tasting.  In fact, he could have mistaken it for his own brew.

            “How did you hear about this job position?”

            Ryeowook seemed pleased that he was being spoken to again.  “Donghae and Eunhyuk told me about it when they found out I was looking for work.”

            “Those two nitwits?” he questioned.  “I would have lied about it but you apparently don’t know better yet.”

            “They’ve been nothing but nice to me.”

            “That’s how they get people to let their guard down.”

            “If you feel like that, why do they work for you still?”

            “Because I naturally mistrust everyone and don’t let them get one over on me,” he answere

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter