Planting Roots

What Once Was Lost...
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            Ahra walked barefoot along the beach in Sangju.  It was still far too chilly out to swim in the ocean this early in the spring, but the sound of the waves rhythmically lapping against the shore soothed her troubled mind.  As much as she wanted to run around the world and ignore her problems, the idea of leaving her homeland now seemed unbearable to her.  Just when she thought everything seemed lost and she was free to go wherever she wished, she wanted most to remain in one spot for a change.  What a horrible and ironic twist. 

            The sun shone bright upon the waves, almost in opposition to her gloomy mood, blinding her as she looked out towards the water.  In the distance, children played and laughed in the sand, building castles as their parents looked on, while just down the way, a couple walked hand in hand along the shore, talking quietly to one another.  It seemed as if she was constantly surrounded by all the things she would never have herself. 

            Giving up on finding any solace on her walk outdoors, she headed back to her car and drove back home to her apartment.  By now, her cleaning lady would have left and she would be alone.  Perhaps then she could do the one thing that really did hold her concentration enough to make her forget her problems, at least for a little while.  Playing the violin had always given her soul peace, just as singing did for Kyuhyun.  If she did so long enough, maybe it would find a way to heal everything inside of her that was broken.  Or, if not, maybe she could just continue playing until she forgot what was breaking her heart in the first place.

            Ahra parked the car in the underground ramp and took the elevator up to her floor.  She unlocked her door and headed into her apartment, which was flooded with the same bright sunlight streaming in through the windows.  Ahra walked over to the sliding door of the balcony, but then she stopped when she realized that there was someone standing outside on it.

            Leaning against the railing, the breeze blowing his dark brown hair, stood a man.  Even if her mind wished to deceive her and pretended that it couldn’t be him, her heart knew exactly who it was instantly.  Right on cue, he seemed to feel her eyes on him and looked over his shoulder at her, smiling brilliantly.  All the air in her lungs seemed to vacate her body in one rushing exhale of air and she could scarcely breathe.  Still Ahra forced herself to keep moving forward, although she was shocked to see him there, and slid open the door of the balcony as he turned to face her.

            “Heechul…h-how did you find me?”

            Heechul tilted his head to the side, staring into her eyes.  “You know that I will always find you.  Don’t I know you better than anyone?”

            Ahra nodded.

            “Come here,” he ordered, setting down the glass of wine in his hand.

            Ahra closed the door behind her and walked over to him, still not entirely sure what his presence signified.  Heechul opened his arms wide and Ahra walked into them.  Immediately, Heechul wrapped her in his arms and held her tightly against him, kissing her cheek repeatedly.  Against her will, she found herself in tears and clutching his shirt desperately. 

            “Shhh, shhh,” he whispered in her ear.  “Don’t cry…I’m never going to leave you again.  It doesn’t matter to me who approves or disapproves, as long as you love me, we’ll always be together.  I’ve loved you for so long without thinking I ever had a chance to have you.  I wouldn’t give you up for anything in the world.  I promise.”

            “But what about our families?” she cried.

            “I’ve already spoken to mine,” he informed her.  “I told them that I’m in love and I intend to be with you and they already knew.  I think they had me figured out since before I even knew how I felt.  And Leeteuk said that he’s been looking into the legalities of it for a while now and he knows what needs to be done to make everything right in the eyes of the law.  Your brother and I have reconciled already and whenever you want to talk to your parents, we can go together.  The rest of them I don’t give a damn about and they can go to hell if they have an issue.”

            Ahra took deep breaths to stop her crying and Heechul leaned back and began to wipe the tears from her eyes.  “What about your career?”

            “These things only make the news for a short while and then they blow over when the next scandal comes up.  It will hardly affect me.  It’s not all that interesting, really, since it’s technically not an uous relationship.  Unless you’re afraid of a little bad press?”

            Ahra shook her head.

            “As these things go, sometimes they actually raise your popularity a bit, so it may not even be a bad thing, as long as you can stomach what people are saying about you for a few weeks,” he pointed out.  “And it certainly won’t hurt Kyuhyun because he’s not singing at the moment.  If we do this now, it will all be said and done with before he even comes back onto the scene.”

            “I’m sorry I left without telling you,” she said, closing her eyes.

            “Well, I did that to you in Paris, so I guess we’re even now.  But let’s promise never to do it again.  I don’t like chasing you around the globe, just as you don’t like me hiding from you, I imagine,” he said, gently kissing her forehead.  “I travel enough for my acting jobs.  It would be nice to spend a little time in one place.  Don’t you think?”

            Ahra opened her eyes and stared up into Heechul’s. 

            “Yes.  Where do you want to stay?”

            “Here’s just as good as any, for now.  I have an acting job in a couple weeks and we’ll have to leave then, but when I’m not working,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter