That Man

What Once Was Lost...
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

***A/N: There's a couple more songs mentioned in this one and I thought I'd share the links so you could listen to them:

That Man http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmWi0S-iSm0&list=PLP-ck8JqOagahtAU2tzF_33ukALOzvYiE&index=12

Smile http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRemndKz9Yg ***

 

            When Ryeowook finished up washing the dishes, he snuck off with Sungmin to play the piano for a little while, feeling the dining room a bit too crowded for his taste.  Besides, Sungmin had been begging him to play for him since Yesung told him about his hidden talent.  At first, they were left alone and Sungmin was his only audience.  He played several tunes that he’d known for years and then showed Sungmin the stack of music he’d been working on learning in his downtime.

            Sungmin looked through the stack and pulled out one, showing it to Ryeowook.  “How well can you play this one?”

            “That Man?  I’m pretty good at it.”

            “Can you play it for me?”

            Ryeowook nodded and opened up the sheet music.  He began to play the song but shortly after he got started, he heard someone loudly clear their voice and Ryeowook stopped suddenly to look over his shoulder at Kyuhyun as he walked into the room.

            Sungmin frowned.  “So you won’t even let him play it?  Just because it’s one of your songs?” he accused.  “I happen to really like that song.”

            “The lyrics themselves almost describe Kyuhyun, don’t they?” Yesung said, following Kyuhyun in and walking over to Sungmin, wrapping his arms around his boyfriend from behind.

            “For your information, you little pain in the , I’m going to make Wookie start over again, since he hasn’t heard me sing it,” Kyuhyun said, sitting down on the edge of the bench next to Ryeowook.

            Sungmin was clearly taken aback.  “You are?”

            “That’s assuming you want to hear it?” Kyuhyun said, lightly touching Ryeowook’s back with his hand.

            “Of course I do,” Ryeowook said, his hands suspended over the keys.  “But you’ll probably attract an audience of you do.”

            “I’m not afraid of people listening to me sing.  I used to be rather accustomed to it at one point, you know, and the lack of screaming fangirls will not throw me off.”

            Ryeowook smiled as he began to play the beginning of the song again.  And just like the first time he heard Kyuhyun sing, he was blown away the moment he began to sing, amazed at the alluring voice.  And this time, Kyuhyun was singing right next to him and Ryeowook could hear him so clearly. 

            As Kyuhyun began the chorus and leaned in a little closer, his arm brushed against Ryeowook’s back as he gripped the back of the seat, trying to touch him as little as possible in order not to bump him but apparently needing to feel that slightest bit of connection, like Ryeowook himself did.  And as he listened to the lyrics, he could see where Yesung was reminded of Kyuhyun as he sang it.  Perhaps Kyuhyun had chosen to sing that song for that very reason.

            By the time he began the second verse of the song, Ryeowook could hear the room filling with people behind them and Kyuhyun didn’t bother looking back at them but faced the piano like Ryeowook.  Sometimes he turned to look at Ryeowook as he sang, which admittedly made him a little nervous but he managed to hold his concentration and didn’t mess up.  And when the song finally came to an end, as Ryeowook was playing the last notes of the piece, their audience began to clap for them and Kyuhyun finally acknowledged their presence by turning a little in his seat, in Ryeowook’s direction, and looking back at them, bowing his head.

            “Thank you,” he simply said.

            Ryeowook looked back at them as well, his cheeks growing warm.  Everyone had come into the room to listen.  Siwon and Yunho were flanking Boa in the corner; Kangin, Changmin, and Leeteuk were lined up against the wall; and Heechul had an arm wrapped around Ahra, who was wiping tears from her eyes.

            “Sing another one,” Kangin ordered, giving them a slight smile despite his gruff demand.

            “What else have you been working on?” Kyuhyun wondered, going through the pile of sheet music.

            “I don’t know which ones of those are yours.”

            “Ah,” he said, spotting one out of the group and opening it up for Ryeowook to play.  “Have you played this enough to get through?”

            “Smile,” Ryeowook said out loud as he read the title.  “Yeah, I liked the jazzy tune, so I’ve been practicing it more than some of the others.”

            “I haven’t heard you play it at all.”

            “Well, you said not to play while you’re sleeping but I noticed you sleep through about anything, and you don’t hear much over your games, so I’ve been playing sometimes while you’re not aware of it,” he admitted, starting to play the beginning measures. 

            Again, Kyuhyun sang the song without moving off the bench, this time having to stare at the music once in a while to make sure that he got the lyrics right.  And this time when they turned back, they could see Heechul recording the performance with his cellphone.

            “What the hell?” Kyuhyun complained.  “Why are you doing that?”

            “Your mother will want to see it,” Heechul defended himself, turning his recorder off and saving it.

            Kyuhyun whined.  “But if you show it to her she’ll want me to sing for her the next time she’s here,” he complained.  

            “Please don’t post it online,” Ryeowook begged, covering his face with his hands when he thought about people seeing him sitting next to his boyfriend.  It embarrassed him to think he could be seen playing by so many people if it was put out there on the internet.  What would they say about his playing and of Kyuhyun singing when no one had heard from him in years?

            Perhaps Kyuhyun knew what was going through his head.  He wrapped his arm around Ryeowook’s waist and pulled him just a little closer without being so overtly obvious as to make their real relationship known. 

            “Okay, show time is over,” Kyuhyun announced.  “We have to get back to work.”

            The group began to shuffle out and when most of them had walked out, Kyuhyun leaned into Ryeowook more.  “Come say goodnight before you go to bed.  I’m going to be up late finishing up with them.”

            “You stayed up all night last night,” Ryeowook reminded him.

            “I know but we have to get through the whole game to see if it operates well enough in two person mode and this is the only time we all had available before the meeting,” he said, yawning.

            “Should I bring up more coffee?”

            Still yawning with his mouth open wide and his eyes nearly closed, he nodded his head.

            “I’ll bring some up before I go to bed.”

            Ryeowook glanced around and Changmin and Yunho were still loitering near the door while chatting with Kangin and Boa.  Kangin had his arm around his sister protectively, well aware that she’d caught the attention of more than one man in recent days.  Yesung and Sungmin were still wrapped up in each other’s arms and whispering sweet nothings to each other on the other side of the room.  No one was listening to them or even watching very hard.  Kyuhyun poked Ryeowook in the ribs, making him squirm and Ryeowook smacked him in the chest. 

            “Stop that,” he whispered, his heart pounding hard.

            “I’d rather be alone with you than playing games.”

            “You’d better want me more.  I still want to finish were we left off,” Ryeowook said.

            Kyuhyun looked away, the sheet music.  “But if we didn’t rush things…if we took our time…that wouldn’t be horrible, would it?”

            Ryeowook tilted his head to look Kyuhyun in the face better.  “You want to slow things down…after this morning?  Is something wrong?  Have I upset you somehow?”

            “No,” Kyuhyun quickly insisted, immediately looking back at Ryeowook.  “Not at all!”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter