With You

What Once Was Lost...
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            Kangin knocked on the door of the office and walked in once Leeteuk’s secretary waved him in.  She was on the phone, but knew him well enough by now to recognize him, even in street clothes.  It was his day off and he’d been by his aunt’s house for a visit for the first time since moving to Seoul, which she claimed was well overdue, but he thought was rather fast considering he’d been there for only a couple weeks.  Kyuhyun’s mother only said such things because she was fond of him, however, and he could hardly be upset about that.  And she loaded him up with a bunch of presents—mostly food—and he couldn’t complain about that either.

            Leeteuk looked up from his stack of paperwork and smiled at seeing Kangin enter the room, appearing a bit surprised to see him.  “What brings you in?”

            “I need to drag your out of work early today.  Our aunt had tickets to the baseball game tonight, but they can’t go because some other obligation came up, so she said we should use them instead and I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to get your behind out of the house.  So, unless you have some all-important meeting you can’t send one of your minions to instead, I think it’s our responsibility as dutiful nephews to do as our aunt says and go to the game.”

            “Our responsibility, is it?” Leeteuk asked, smiling.

            “It is.”

            “Well, I’d hate to disappoint my favorite aunt.  I suppose I’ll just have to cancel the last hour of sitting at my desk signing papers.  I’m sure they’ll still be here tomorrow for me,” he said, setting down his pen and leaning back in his chair.  “Who’s playing?”

            “The Twins verses the Tigers.”

            “Who am I cheering for?” Leeteuk asked.

            Kangin furrowed his brows.  “The Twins, of course!  Don’t you pay any attention to sports at all?  Do you live in Seoul or Gwangju?”

            “I don’t have any team jerseys or shirts,” Leeteuk pointed out.

            “Don’t worry, I have about a dozen of them.  You can take your pick.  Now let’s get the hell out of here!” Kangin said.  “No making five phone calls before you go or emailing each department to warn them that you’re leaving.  And you won’t have your cell phone with you because I’m not letting you bring that damn thing with this time.  I learned my lesson last week when we went out to play basketball.”

            Leeteuk sat up straight in his chair and opened his mouth wide in shock.  “But I have to have my phone.  What if someone needs me?”

            “What are you, a heart surgeon?  No one needs to get ahold of you in the middle of watching a ball game.  You managed to stay and Kyu’s place for like two weeks and I didn’t see your head attached to the phone then.  You have people in charge of their own departments for a reason—so they manage them on their own—and you don’t need to hold their hands all the ing time.  Take the night off without thinking about work!”

            Leeteuk sighed heavily.  “Fine.”

            “I knew you’d see the light.”

            “I’m not going to enjoy myself all night though because I’ll be worried,” Leeteuk informed him, packing his briefcase.

            “After about six beers, you won’t give a about what’s happening here.  The damn place could burn down and you’ll be too busy hollering about the way the pitcher’s throwing to notice,” he claimed.

            “I’m really not much of a drinker,” Leeteuk informed him, pushing in his chair and heading for the door.

            “The hell if I’m letting you go to a game without drinking beer and eating hotdogs,” Kangin said, opening the door and heading out of the office.

            “Fine, but I’m not going to get drunk,” Leeteuk informed him.

            “Suit yourself,” Kangin only said, shrugging his shoulders.

            Leeteuk rattled off a long list of instructions for his secretary.  If she retained half of it, Kangin would be amazed.  For the most part, he assumed she just shook her head and pretended to listen as Leeteuk spoke.  Then again, she seemed to be the company’s most valued employee—at least as far as Leeteuk was concerned—so she must actually do most of what he asked her to do on a regular basis.  He just didn’t see how it was humanly possible. 

            Leeteuk’s secretary seemed almost superhuman in her ability to run the office and keep everything in order.  Leeteuk admired her so much, Kangin could have mistaken him for being damn near in love with her if not for the fact that she was already married and in her late forties.  Although she looked rather well put together for her age and dressed remarkably well, but aside from his great admiration for her abilities in the office, Leeteuk never said anything else about her.  In fact, the rumor around the office was that the boss man was actually gay.

            No one in the company knew that Kangin and Leeteuk were actually living together except for his secretary and probably some smuck in human resources who had access to addresses on file.  Otherwise, Kangin’s position as a security officer usually had him working different shifts than Leeteuk, so they never drove to work together.  So, initially, no one knew that they were acquainted and Kangin made fast friends with the other security officers, who told him all the news about the office.  Talking about the boss man was part of the deal as well.  Kangin finally admitted that he knew Leeteuk personally, but admitted that news of his ual orientation wasn’t something he’d ever heard before.  Then again, why would he? 

            This news began to explain why he’d never heard of Leeteuk having a girlfriend or bringing home a significant other.  But even if he did not like women, Kangin was starting to think that Leeteuk had been too busy to have any love life at all.  This news was practically confirmed when he began quizzing their cleaning lady about if Leeteuk ever had anyone over to spend the night or if he ever stayed anywhere else.  She gave him such a funny look and sat him down at the kitchen table and explained that in all the years she’d been serving Leeteuk—seven, if his memory served him right—she’d never once seen the hint of a date or even a friend come over to the house.  A few coworkers and his secretary had been by to drop off paperwork over the years, but that was the extent of it.  She was so relieved to see that Kangin had come to live there so that Leeteuk would not be alone anymore. 

            All this news was rather interesting to Kangin and he preferred to digest it for a while without bringing any of it up to Leeteuk.  He didn’t have any question—he felt certain, after thinking it through—that the rumors were probably right.  He had no real founding for this other than his own instinctual feelings on the matter, but he had known Leeteuk for a long time, even if he hadn’t seen him for a number of years, and this explained what hadn’t made sense before. 

            Leeteuk finally walked over to where Kangin waited by the elevators.

            “Ready?” Kangin asked.

            Leeteuk nodded.  “Ready.”

            Kangin hit the down button for the elevator.  “By this time next year, you’ll wonder how you managed to go through life without having any fun.  You’ll look back at it and think of yourself as a zombie stumbling through a graveyard without appreciating any part of the world around you.”

            The doors opened and they walked into the elevator.  “I already know I’m missing out on life.  I’ve known that for a long time,” Leeteuk admitted.  “I just thought that it didn’t matter.”

            “What changed your mind finally?” Kangin said. 

            “I think seeing Kyuhyun fall in love and start living again…seeing him transform into the person I once knew, who used to be so unbelievably happy, finally made me realize that I wanted a little of that for myself as well,” Leeteuk said, staring off as he thought back to their recent trip to Kyuhyun’s house.  “Either that or it was the fishing.  One of the two.”

            Kangin laughed at this and reached over to ruffled Leeteuk’s hair, knowing how obsessive he was about keeping it combed and straight.  Sure enough, Leeteuk swat at his arm and quickly tried to fix his hair before the elevator doors opened back up and revealed his less-than-perfect look.  And this began yet another of Kangin’s lessons to Leeteuk in how to let loose and have fun.

            Sungmin twirled his finger around and Donghae sighed in aggravation and turned around yet again.  This was the eleventh tuxedo he’d tried on in the last hour and a half and he was hoping to be done soon, but his future brother-in-law was the world’s worst perfectionist.  After slowly spinning around twice, he came to a complete stop and looked at Sungmin, raising his eyebrows.

            “I like the second one best.”

            “The second one?” Donghae questioned in disbelief.

            Yesung began to snicker from his spot on the bench where he was reading the newspaper.

            “This isn’t funny, you !  Why did I have to try on all these other suits when you liked the second one best?” he demanded.

            Sungmin rolled his eyes.  “Obviously I didn’t know I’d like the second one best until you tried them all on, did I?”

            “And why does it matter which one you like best when I’m the groom and I’m the one getting married?” Donghae questioned.

            Ryeowook bit his lip, looking from one to the other.  “But you really do look best in the second one, Hae.  I think it makes you look lean and taller.”

            Donghae’s anger immediately diminished as he turned towards Ryeowook.  “You really think it makes me look taller?”

            Ryeowook nodded and began to chat with Donghae as Sungmin gave orders to the shopkeeper.  Kyuhyun, sitting beside Yesung and playing games on his phone, turned towards his butler, speaking quietly.  “Thank God they didn’t ask me to be in the wedding and all I have to wear is a suit of my choosing.”

            “Sungmin will just pick out what he wants me to wear, so I won’t have to do a damn thing,” Yesung pointed out.

            “So why the hell did we all have to come with then?” Kyuhyun asked.

            Yesung shrugged his shoulders.  “I quit questioning these things and I just do what I’m told.  I find that my life is just much smoother this way.”

            “Listening to you has been giving me nightmares of what it was like to date Minnie,” Kyuhyun said.  “If I didn’t wake up with Wookie in my bed every night, you may have had to put me in a mental hospital by now.”

            “Watch your tongue,” Yesung warned.  “He is my boyfriend, you know.  Just because he doesn’t suit you doesn’t make him a bad boyfriend.  If you keep saying like that, I’m going to dye all your underwear pink.”

            Kyuhyun snarled and went back to playing his game.  “Little touché, are we?”

            “I don’t say about your boyfriend.”

            “That’s because my boyfriend is perfect!” Kyuhyun bragged.

            “I’ve noticed that Wookie has you wrapped around your finger just as firmly as I’m wrapped around Minnie’s, so I wouldn’t be talking if I were you.  We both know you wouldn’t be having this wedding at the house if it weren’t for Wookie thinking it was such a romantic idea.”

            “Shut up,” Kyuhyun grumbled.

            “While we’re on the topic of our demanding significant others, however, I should give you fair warning.  We’ll probably be planning our own wedding this time next year and you’ll end up in that wedding party.  I just can’t think of anyone else to ask to be my best man.  You hardly deserve to be it most of the time—you’re such as to me—and Sungmin will probably throw a fit at having his ex-boyfriend in the wedding party, but I’m going to insist and he’ll end up letting me because he’ll probably think it will be fun to torture you.  So, you’ll get to go through this whole thing sooner or later,” he said, pointing to Donghae and Sungmin, who were already arguing again while Ryeowook was trying to referee and keep the peace between them. 

            “Great,” Kyuhyun responded unenthusiastically.

            “But didn’t you just tell me the other day that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter