Confrontation

What Once Was Lost...
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            Ryeowook placed the last roll of dough on the tray and turned to bring it to the stove when he ran smack into someone.  He would have lost his grip on the tray entirely if two hands hadn’t immediately come up and grabbed the tray as well, partially grasping his own hands in the process.  Once Ryeowook had steadied himself, he looked up to find Kyuhyun looking down at him with concern.

            “I’m sorry,” Kyuhyun quickly apologized.

            “Th-that’s my fault.  I should have paid more attention.  I didn’t know anyone else was awake yet.”

            “I stayed up all night playing the game.  I didn’t realize it was this late until I noticed the sky lighting up,” he grumbled.  “I have a phone conference with the programmer at ten, so I thought I’d drink some coffee and stay up for it.”

            For a moment, they just stood there, the heat from Kyuhyun’s skin warming Ryeowook’s fingers.  Then Kyuhyun finally released the tray and Ryeowook put the pan into the stove.  “I already have coffee ready.”

            “What are you making?”         

            “It’s not a very filling breakfast, really.  Those are cinnamon rolls and we’re having fruit and yogurt with it.  We’re running out of food, I have to get to the store later and buy it out,” Ryeowook complained, heading back over to the counter.

            “When will it be ready?” he asked, pouring a mug of coffee.

            Ryeowook shrugged.  “I already have the glaze made, so maybe fifteen minutes for the first batch of rolls.”  He was currently chopping up honeydew melon to add to the bowl of fruit.  Kyuhyun spotted Ryeowook’s cup of coffee next to him on the counter and walked over with the pot. 

            “Do you want a warm up?”

            “Sure.”

            Kyuhyun topped off his cup with fresh coffee and then reached over and stole a strawberry out of the bowl.  Ryeowook gave him a warning look.  “You know, if this were anyone else, I would have slapped your hand for that but since this is technically your food, I’m going to let that slide but one of these days you’re liable to get your finger chopped off because I didn’t notice it there and I’m not going to feel bad when you don’t have a finger to play your games with.”

            “You probably sneak food all the time while you’re cooking while the rest of us are expected to wait,” Kyuhyun said, taking another strawberry out of the bowl and holding it in front of Ryeowook’s mouth. 

            Ryeowook opened his mouth and Kyuhyun shoved the piece into it before grabbing another for himself and returning the coffee pot to the machine.

            “Actually,” Ryeowook said, nearly done munching, “I used to be really chubby as a kid, so I’m careful about snacking in the kitchen.”

            Kyuhyun leaned against the counter to face him.  “I don’t believe you,” he said, smiling into his mug as he took a sip.

            “No one ever does,” he sighed.  “Are you going to just stand there and watch me now?”

            “I’m waiting for my breakfast.  I can smell them now and if I walk away the others will no doubt come down and eat them all.”

            “I always make sure you get some,” Ryeowook only said.

            “All the same, I can smell them and now I’m hungry,” he said, walking over to the stove and looking into the pot sitting there.  “Is this the frosting?”

            “Glaze,” Ryeowook corrected him.

            Kyuhyun dipped his finger in and immediately whined in pain as the glaze burned his skin.  He his finger and grumbled to himself but he still stuck it in a second time to get some more.

            “You’re an idiot.”

            “Listen to you talking to your boss like that.”

            “I’ve heard others say worse to you.  You’re burning your finger and will be whining all day about it; I have good reason to speak up.”

            Kyuhyun dipped his finger in a third time and blew on it as he walked over to Ryeowook and stuck his finger in front of his face. 

            “What are you doing?”

            “I’m trying to fatten you up.”

            “I’m not your finger!  God only knows where that’s be—”

            Kyuhyun shoved his finger into his mouth while it was open and managed to get about half of it in his mouth and the other half smeared across his lips and proceeded to laugh heartily at Ryeowook’s surprised face.  As Ryeowook began to lift his hand to wipe away the rest, Kyuhyun quickly snuck his finger back in and wiped it away.  He then his fingers clean.

            Ryeowook just stared at him, bewildered.  “I can’t believe you just did that.”

            “What?” he asked.

            “What do you mean, what?  You just ate all the stuff stuck to my lips!  You’re lucky I’m not sick.”

            “Would’ve worked better if I just it off but I didn’t want you to get distracted and burn the rolls,” he shot back, patting Ryeowook’s back before grabbing his coffee and walking over to the table to wait for his food, his devilish smile betraying the mischievous behavior hidden beneath his good boy look.

            Ryeowook looked back down at the fruit quickly, feeling his face growing warm and not wanting Kyuhyun to see him blushing in reaction to his teasing.  This was new behavior from Kyuhyun and he wasn’t sure what to make of it.  Ever since Kyuhyun kissed him, he’d started acting far more relaxed around him and he didn’t know how to interpret that.  It almost seemed as if Kyuhyun remembered their kiss but wasn’t willing to own up to it.  But why?  It made no sense and neither did his current behavior.  Was Kyuhyun just joking with him or was he flirting?

            Thankfully, Leeteuk walked into the room and headed for the coffee machine. 

            “Good morning!” Ryeowook beamed.

            “Morning!” Leeteuk said, his eyes squinting as he smiled.  “What’s for breakfast?  It smells delicious.”

            “Cinnamon rolls, fruit, and yogurt.”

            “That sounds very sweet!” he said, taking a seat across from his cousin.  “Why are you up so early?”

            “I never slept and I have a conference call in a few hours,” Kyuhyun explained.  “You?”

            “I’m always up this early,” Leeteuk said.

            “Oh, that’s right.  You spend the first couple hours of your day pretending not to be checking your emails and looking over updates from your secretary.”

            Leeteuk was about to deny it when Kangin walked into the kitchen.  “Is the whole house awake already?  I thought I’d be the first on up since I’m still on military time.”

            “Wookie is making cinnamon rolls and no one dares leave the kitchen in case they don’t get any,” Kyuhyun informed him as Ryeowook headed over to the stove with a second tray and switched it out for the first.  He then set about spooning glaze over the newly baked rolls.  Kyuhyun jumped to his feet and ran over to his side.  When he reached for a roll, Ryeowook really did smack him with his free hand.

            “You’re going to burn your hand, idiot! You have to let them sit for a few minutes.”

            “Kyu,” called Kangin as he sat down next to Leeteuk, “what time does Shindong usually get here in the morning?”

            “About seven or eight.  Why?” 

            “He said he’d help me dig out the boat and get it up and running.  You’re missing out on some good fishing this time of year,” he informed his cousin.

            “I have too much work to get done to go fishing.  Teukie will go with you,” Kyuhyun said, volunteering his other cousin.

            “You game, Teukie?” Kangin asked, his face lighting up.  “We’re just going to get everything set up today but we should be able to start fishing tomorrow.”

            “Ah, sure,” Leeteuk said tentatively.

            “Don’t act like we’re torturing you or anything.  All you ever do is work, I’m starting to think you’re allergic to fun,” Kyuhyun complained.

            “This co

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter