Call from the Past

When the Bluebells were blooming

I’m back with another longer chapter. Again, I wanted to post this sooner, but this summer break is a kinda busy one for me. You know, I’ll start university this year and I have to arrange a lot of things. I’m moving to another city right now. Hope everything settles down soon, I want to write this fanfic so badly, because I know it will be interesting, it’s just that the beginning is really slow. But things will escalate quickly after that, I promise. Please wait for it. ^ ^

 


 

Chaerin always thought that she hated her apartment. Not because it was small, she spent the most of her days at the agency anyway not having time to do anything at home but collapse onto her futon and sleep. It wasn't even messy or hard to clean, but it was boring. Empty. Undecorated. If she stood in the middle of her room and listened carefully, she could heard her own heart beating against her ribcage. She could heard herself breathing slowly. She could even heard as her blood flew through her body. There was no other noise. She was alone. That place could’ve been a palace or a mouse hole, she would still felt alone. Because of this she worked longer and longer every day so when she eventually went home, she just changed her clothes and fell asleep right away.

But now…

Sandara didn't decorate the apartment, one would say she even created a mess. Newspapers could be found everywhere, on the tables, on the sofa, since she spent her days mostly reading job advertisements.

But now when Chaerin entered her home she smelled instantly the scent of freshly made food. Though Sandara wasn't the best cook in the world she worked extremely hard to make the best things she can in order to ease Chaerin’s difficulties a bit. She already had a very busy life, Sandara didn't wanted to make it any harder by living in her apartment.

When they sat down at the dining table the girl asked her every single evening how was her day, she listened to her politely with a sincere and honest smile on her face, then she told her as well what jobs did she found in the papers, what housework she had done and what food did she buy in that small convenience store.

When they lay down on their futons next to each other Sadara turned to her and wished her good night, than slumbered after a few minutes. Chaerin just watched her. The times she couldn't fell asleep for some reason, she studied the brunette’s beautiful facial features, her flawless skin and tiny but full lips slightly parted. She listened to her periodical and even breathing, which calmed her restless mind. It helped her relax and she could sleep peacefully – without nightmares.

 

~*~

 

They were eating homemade Chap chae. The noodles were a bit harder to chew for Chaerin’s liking but the taste was okay so she didn’t complain. Though even if it would have been really gross she would never complain at all. She was grateful that she didn’t have to deal with cooking after a long day with hard dance practices.

„Did you find any good job offers in the news paper?” asked Chaerin between two bites.

Sandara’s eyes lit up instantly and she nodded.

„Yes, finally. To be honest I’ve found two. They both sound good. One of them is even in this district.”

„Oh, really?” The blonde grinned widely. „What’s the name? Maybe I know it.”

„Ah well…” The girl wanted to answer right away but she couldn’t. She had to think about it for a bit. „I can’t remember. It has something to do with a fish…”

„Blue fish” She said without thinking, and Sandara started nodding in agreement.

„That was it, if I remember correctly. But I will look for the paper with that advertising, and… Chaerin-ah?”

But the blonde didn't listen to her. She stood up from the table and ran to the couch where she dropped her bag earlier. She took out her phone and started tapping on the touchscreen.

„Is there something wrong?” asked Sandara with concern in her voice. She placed her hands on the table planning to follow the blonde’s example, but Chaerin just held up her right arm indicating that she could stay there.

„Everything’s fine” she shook her head. „Please finish your dinner without me. I just remembered something. I have to make a call… and… I’ll be back in a minute! You don’t have to wait for me.”

„B-But, Chaerin-ah…”

The answer was only the slamming door.

Sandara sat back down and stared in front of herself for a while then glanced down at her plate. Did she perhaps have a problem with the food? Or did Sandara say something wrong?

With a worried expression on her face she glared at the door again, but she didn't move an inch. She couldn’t eat either, she was too nervous. All she could do was wait for the blonde and see what was this sudden behaviour about.

Cherain was impatiently tapping her left foot against the floor waiting for someone on the other end of the line to pick up already, which happened after several ringing.

„Yeoboseyo?” A man spoke into the receiver.

„Annyeong haseyo, boss. It’s me, Lee Chaerin.” She waited for a few seconds, but answer never came. „You might not remember me, and I know it’s really inappropriate to call someone this late as well, but I wanted to speak with you immediately.”

„Chaerin?” Spoke the man finally with a slight disbelief. „Is it really you, Chaerin-ah?” Suddenly the man screamed out so loud the blonde had to pull the phone away from her ear. „Hahaha, we have not spoken ages ago! How are you? Are you doing well? Are you still at the same agency, aren’t you?”

Chaerin was touched by the kindness of the man. She could do nothing but smile.

„Yes, yes I am still there. Everything is fine.”

„Did something happened to you, sweetheart? You called me so suddenly.”

„I'm sorry I didn’t keep in touch, but lots of things happened, and…”

„No, you do not owe me an explanation. It’s alright. I am glad you called now. It’s good to hear your voice.”

She felt guilty that the man was so sincere and happy upon hearing about her and she wants to ask for a favour.

„Boss, I’m sorry to ask you this…” started the blonde with a sigh. For a moment she stayed silent in order to gather her thoughts than opened to speak again. „The job you advertised in the papers… is it still free?”

„What? Chaerin, do not say that you want to come back! Do not get me wrong, sweetheart, you are always welcome here, but I thought your singing carrier is more than fine.”

„Oh, no, you misunderstood the situation. it’s not for me.” She looked down at her shoes feeling bad again. She wondered if she is in the position to ask anything from the man. She always get nothing but help from him, and she never had the opportunity to return it. „It would be for a friend” she admitted.

On the other end of the line everything became silent. Chaerin thought first that the line went dead, but the man finally spoke up again.

„What kind of friend?”

Well, the man may was kind hearted but he was definitely smart as well. He wasn't easy to be fooled. He understood what was it about before Chaerin could say anything about the situation.

„She’s in trouble, boss.”

The man again took his time to answer, than said „Well then. Bring her in sometime and we could discuss the matter.”

„Really, boss? Are you sure?”

„Of course, Chaerin-ah. I will see what can I do.”

„How about tomorrow? Or is it too soon?”

„No, it would be alright. The sooner we can hire a new employee the better for us. I look forward meeting you tomorrow morning.”

They said their good-byes and Chaerin hung up the phone. For a while she just stared at the blank screen then she sighed. She knew she should’ve asked Sandara first whether it would be okay with her but she couldn’t stop herself. This place is perfect for the girl.

It was perfect for her back then as well.

She returned to her apartment and sat down in front of Sandara again. The girl watched her anxiously but she didn't look away.

She changed during these few days. She started to open up a bit, though Chaerin still didn't know too much about her past. But she learned that Sandara loved ramyun, was bad at cooking but loved taking care of others and has great taste in music. On the other hand the blonde kept her promise and never brought the girl to her workplace again, and though she was extremely worried about the girl staying at her apartment all alone every day, to her relief Sandara was just fine with it.

Chaerin looked at the girl and smiled, but Sandara was still frowning worriedly.

„It was rather rude of me not to ask you about it first, but… do you want that job? I mean in the Blue Fish.”

The girl’s eyes widened in shock. „How… do you mean?”

„If you want it, you can get it.” Because Sandara was still speechless, she continued. „Would you like to work there?”

„It would be great!” Exclaimed the girl louder than she used to speak. Chaerin was surprised by the power the girls showed her, than chuckled a bit.

„Well, it's settled then. We will go there tomorrow morning.”

 

~*~

 

Though the restaurant was indeed in the same district where Chaerin lived, it was still far enough for them to took the bus instead of walking. During the busride Sandara looked nervous and Chaerin didn't know exactly why. Because it was her first job after escaping from the previous one? Or because it was the first time in days that she had left the blonde’s apartment for longer than an hour? Because this small trip reminded her of their first encounter, when Chaerin, a complete stranger for Sandara, asked her to follow her to the bus?

May it be any of them, she was far from being calm.

The blonde took her shaking hand in hers and when the brunette looked at her, she smiled at Sandara. She caressed the girl’s hand with her thumb, than gave her a reassuring squeeze.

„You’ll love this place, I promise.” told her Chaerin when the bus approached their bus stop and they had to stood up from the seats.

For a little while they just stood in front of the building, because Chaerin knew Sandara needed some time. It seemed nice, and cozy from outside. Above the front door hung a wooden board with the place’s name written on it and a cute cartoonish blue fish next to the letters. Looking inside the windows a warm restaurant could be seen with wooden tables and chairs with checkered tablecloths, with kind waitresses wearing neat, light blue uniforms, and smiling bartenders. It wasn't a big place, but it didn't have to be. The Blue fish looked good just the way it was.

They headed towards the door together. For a while nobody noticed them, but than just like a storm swept trough the area, everybody – well, the workers - looked at them and people started whispering. One of the waitresses yelled in surprize and jumped at them.

„Chaerinnieee, Chaerinnie is back!”

Sandara just watched the scene confused, while more and more people gathered together to greet the blonde and demanded tight hugs. There were so many of them, and the place was so small, she had to back away a few steps.

„Hey, hold on, I can’t breathe” said Chaerin laughing, and the girl who was currently trying to squeeze her to death, released her.

„Chaerin-ah?” The whole little group turned towards the back door where an elderly man stood on the doorstep. He combed back his ashen hair with his hand than took of his thick framed glasses. He smiled as a grandfather would smile at his grandchild. „Come here” He asked the blonde waving at her with his free hand.

Chaerin headed towards the man but stopped after a few steps and looked back over her shoulder.

„Sandara-ah”

The brunette understood the short plea and hurried after the blonde without knowing what was going on. These people knew Chaerin? They said she finally visited them. Maybe she worked here before as well? If so, why didn't she tell me this?

After Chaerin bowed at the man he lead the way back to his office. He sat down at the table and the two girls found place on the couch in front of him.

„Long time no see. I am glad you came today.” He said, than turned to the girl. „And you, dear?”

„Uh… M-My name is Sandara Park.”

The man eyed her a little while than smiled. „What an interesting name.” Hearing this Sandara blushed and dropped her gaze shyly. It looked like she is still nervous around people and she only dared to look into Chaerin’s eyes for longer time. „Well then. Do you know for what position are we looking for a new employee, Sandara-ah?”

„Waitress” replied the girl. „At least I read that…”

„Do you have any experience?”

The brunette glanced at Chaerin nervously, who just raised her eyebrows.

„I do” She said quietly, looking quite uncertainly.

„Good” nodded the man kindly. „We will see how will you succeed”

„Umm… Sorry I’m… uh… Don’t I need a curriculum vitae, or…”

„Leave it” Waved the man with his left. „Chaerin’s word is enough for me.”

„You shouldn't trust me so much, boss” sighed Chaerin, though she was relieved. This was their only chance to get Sandara a job without having to show papers the girl didn't have. Poor thing didn't even have an ID card. Officially she didn't exist in Korea. The blonde didn't wanted to think about the consequences if they couldn’t get the position for Sandara.

„Of course I should” chuckled the man kindly, then glanced at the door. „Hayi-ah, I know you were eavesdropping. Would you mind coming in here?”

After several seconds the door opened and a young girl stepped into the room blushing.

„Yes, boss?”

„Please, Sandara-ah to the changing room and give her a uniform. You can start teaching her as well while I’m having a word with Chaerin.”

Sandara glanced at the blond anxiously, but stood up. She didn't think that she would start working right away and the fast turns of events made her nervous. Before she could take even one step towards Hayi, Chaerin grabbed her hand to bring the brunette’s attention to herself. The girl’s features slowly grew calmer and the nervousness disappeared from her eyes. Chaerin gave her a reassuring squeeze then released her arm. „It’s okay. Good luck! If you’ve finished, call me and I will come back for you, okay?”

Sandara nodded and bowed to the man, thanked him the job with a so high pitched voice, they almost couldn’t understand her words, than followed Hayi out of the room. They were alone.

„Why do I think that her situation is similar to yours when you arrived to Seoul, Chaerin-ah?”

The blonde laughed then shrugged her shoulders.

„Hers is worse to begin with.”

The man just raised his eyebrows indicating that he thought otherwise.

„When I came here, I had a backpack with all the necessary things, boss, including enough money to buy food for months. When she came to my apartment, all she had were a minidress and a pair high-heels.”

„Identity card?” Asked the man intently.

„Nothing.”

„Sounds worse indeed” sighed the man. He once again lost his faith in humanity. He always did whenever young people like Sandara or Chaerin appeared on the scene, broken teenagers who had to endure so much despite their young age. And yet, they seemed so strong. They had nowhere to go, and they had nothing but their willpower to escape even though they could’ve ended up in a worse place than his little restaurant which provided real shelter.

„But she has you, Chaerin.” said the man with a small smile on his lips. „It’s a big advantage.

„I wasn't alone either. I had you” replied the blonde right away. „And I know that it’s a big favour to ask from you to take care of Sandara as well, but she needs a job.”

The man just waved with his left hand. His face grew dark, his previous grandpa-like kindness was nowhere near. Chaerin knew he was angry. Not at her, nor Sandara, but at whatever bad people who caused harm for both of them.

„I don’t need more information. You were not the first person I helped out and I have the feeling that you were not the last either. Everybody deserves another chance from life.”

Chaerin was wrapped in her thoughts for a moment staring at the old man, then stood up with a big sigh.

„You are a good man. I still don’t know how can I thank all your help.”

„What about a signed copy of your album. You are working on it if I am not mistaken.”

„I would give one anyway, boss” answered the girl grinning.

„It would be more than enough. Your happy smile and knowledge that you are on the right path is enough of a reward.”

„Thank you, boss” Chaerin smiled at him. They said their goodbyes than Chaerin ran away to reach the agency building as soon as possible. She had to be fast if she wanted to arrive to her dance practice in time.

 

~*~

 

During their short lunch break she was in their changing room. She was writing into her small notebook which layed on her lap. There was a song in her head for a little while and during her practise she got new ideas that she wanted to write them down immediately before they will all disappear.

A few minutes later the door opened with a solid crack and two people entered the room.

„Unnie, Min Ji-ah, annyeong!” the blonde greeted them with a big smile on her face. She put down the note book right away along with her lunch box that Sandara made for her in the morning, while the two female took their seats in front of her. They both seemed quite cheerful.

On the left sat Minji, a trainee of YG, and next to her was Bom, a singer with five years singing-history. Her debut was short after Chaerin became a trainee herself in their agency.

Despite their age difference, the three of them maintained a good relationship during all these years. Their friendship was only busyness relationship at first, as Minji was part of their backup dancer team during live concerts and the two older had some collaborations together. After Chaerin finished her debut track promoting, the agency made a duo of them and they even released a single together. Bom was the lead singer, and Chaerin rapped. They both gained popularity this time, but they finished their works together as the blonde wanted to release a full-length album on her own, with the release date chosen as the first anniversary of her debut. Of course if it wasn't for their work together they would’ve become friends anyway. YG was like a big family. They were actually a better family for the blonde than her own was ever.

„Heard you were late today” said Bom grinning.

Chaerin glanced at Minji with suspicion, but the young girl just shrugged her shoulders. The black haired girl was there on her practice, and of course she told Bom about it.

„Yeah, it happens.”

„It happens often to you nowadays” continued the redhead with a small chuckle.

Chaerin just sighed. „Just once. This was the second one so far. That’s not often, unnie.” Which was true. The day she brought Sandara to her workplace she was indeed late and it gained attention as well. Unfortunately everyone knew that she had a new roommate now.

„Is this because of Sandara-ah too?” asked Minji. The girl at least was straightforward and said what was exactly on her mind.

Chaerin wanted to lie at first. She didn't wanted to tell details to anybody about the relationship with the brunette, first of all because there were none. Even she didn't know what were they for each other. She helped her out, that’s true, but they weren't friends. They barely knew each other. But Chaerin didn't thought about Sandara as a stranger. Even on their first day she was more than just someone from the street. They shared a special bond which Chaerin couldn't really understand.

But she don’t have to keep secrets from them, they were her friends. And it would be good to speak about the matter with someone.

Chaerin speak up after a minute. „Yes. I got her a job.” The blond told them the story of how they found the article about the Blue fish, and that they went to see the owner that morning. She had to accompany Sandara because she didn’t know the way.

„Are you okay?” Bom seemed truly worried about the blonde. Chaerin knew that her question refered to the fact that she returned to her previous workplace, and whether is this affected her emotionally. The time she spent there wasn't the most happy period of her life and Bom was aware of that. She just didn't want to say out loud since Minji wasn't around at that time. Not that the blonde wanted to keep secrest from the young girl, but there were things that better stay unsaid. Thing she just has to forget.

„Yeah” nodded Chaerin. „But, uh… I guess Sandara isn’t.”

„Eh? How do you mean?”

For a while she just thought about the answer. It was hard to describe this feeling, but she was sure not everything was okay with the girl – beyond the fact that she was presumably abused before Chaerin took the brunette under her wings.

„Something is off about her.”

„Is she crazy or something? I told you not to take upstart strangers into your home!”

„No, unnie!” Chaerin interrupted immediately. „She’s not crazy. In fact she is really kind. It’s just that… as if she isn’t living in the same world like us.”

„Not in the same world?” Minji raised her eyebrows.

„Yeah, for example she knows what television is, even knows how to handle the remote control but knows nothing about the channels. Not any of them. On my computer she can’t use any programs or even the internet. She only plays on it, if I switch it on for her. , I had to buy newspapers so that she can search for jobs.” The two female glanced at each other. They didn't really understand what the blond wanted to say exactly, so Chaerin continued. „I gave her my old phone so she can call me if something is up. But not the previous one, you know, but the first that has buttons. She can’t use smartphones.” As she still not really convinced the two others, she confronted them with her biggest dilemma. „She knows who you are, Bom unnie.”

„Of course, she knows.” told her the redhead with a grin, but when she realised Chaerin’s distress, her smile disappeared.

„She knows your name, and she even knows the titles of some of your songs.”

„Which one?”

„Don’t cry for example. One time after our conversation about you and some other singers, she hummed the melody while she was washing the dished. But I swear, she wouldn't recognize you in person.” Chaerin lifted her gaze towards the ceiling, than she looked back at her friends. „She didn't recognize Jiyong.”

„They’ve met?” gaped Minji.

„He was just passing by. It didn't last more than a minute anyway.” The two female was a bit more interested in the story now. It was one thing not to recognize Bom. She was popular of course, but nowhere near as famous as Jiyong. „And it’s just weird. When we were speaking about the agency, she said she had heard of him. She knows him by his stage name, and could named some of his songs as well, but when she stood in front of him, this close to be exact” she gestured with her hands to show them the distance „She had absolutely no idea. And it’s not an act. She genuinely doesn't recognize any of us by face.”

As telling all these things, disturbing thoughts took over her brain again. She didn't understand Sandara’s behaviour, and she was afraid more things happened to her in that club than she previously had thought.

„She listens to the radio and knows your songs, but that’s all. It’s like as if she never saw any of you on TV, or on the Internet. And that – in this era – is not completely normal. Not here. Not in South Korea.”

For a while they sat in silence, but than the other dancers came back to the changing room indicating that shortly they will continue the practice. They didn't have too much time.

„Has she opened up for you yet?” asked the black haired.

„Not as much as I would like her to.”

The two of them had to stood up so the dancers could put their bags down. They stepped over to Chaerin and Bom put her hand to her shoulder and gave her a reassuring squeeze.”

„Everything will be alright. It’s been only days since you took her in. Be patient.” Bom pulled back her hand and they headed to the door. „And call me if something’s up. We can always help you out, right Minji?” The young girl just nodded with a big grin. „Not to mention we really want to meet this mysterious girl of yours.”

„Thank you” waved to them the blonde, than they left the room.

Chaerin thoughtfully leaned back on the bench with her back against the wall.

Who are you, Sandara?

She overcame the urge to call the girl if she was alright at her new workplace, than quickly ate the remains of her lunch. Soon they had to go back to practise. She can’t be late again…

 


 

More about Chaerin, still not too much about Sandara. Hope I can reveal her past soon as well. :)

Anyway, do you want more intense Chaera moments soon? ^ ^