Memories

When the Bluebells were blooming

I’m back agaaaaaiiin! Did you wait for the update? I guess the last chapter was a bit uh… different than the previous ones. Yes, this story has an angsty side, but I will keep on getting back to the happier moments as well. Hope you will like it!

 


 

Somewhere deep down she always knew this day will come. That eventually they will find her and take her back to the club. She was afraid all the time, but the though of the beautiful blonde in the apartment smiling at her and saying her name in such a sweet way made her forget the bad thoughts.

But she prepared herself for it. She wanted to cry and ask Chaerin to save her. Save her again, like the way she saved her the first time. When she gave her own coat to her, when she dragged her up to that bus taking her all the way home. She wished it could happen again. But she knew it won’t, not this time. There won’t be another time…

But it’s not over yet. She was incredibly lucky. Whatever god was listening to her, she got two days. She can spend two more days with Chaerin before everything ends. This past month was a gift. She will make it to the fullest. This two days have to be enough.

 

~*~

 

It was getting late. Chaerin glanced anxiously at the clock on the wall, then at the front door. Something must have happened! Sandara was never late. Well, never this late. One time, on her first day coming home alone from the restaurant without her help Sandara got a bit lost. But the delay was no longer than half an hour. Now it was more than one and half, slowly getting two. She even called her once, but the brunette hung up, which means she was there, she just didn’t want to or couldn’t answer.

She was imagining the worst.

An image came up. A desperate girl in a minidress out there in the freezing cold running away from people who probably threatened her life in a way. Could it be them? What if they got her? Oh god, she should be out there looking for her! It’s not right, it’s just…

She immediately got up from the dining table and reached for her coat on the hanger, but the next second someone pulled the doorknob and pushed the door open. Chaerin jumped back with a small squeak, but her racing heart calmed down right away when she saw the brunette’s small frame standing on the doorstep. She hold onto two heavy looking shopping bags, maybe that’s why she just kicked her way into the apartment so suddenly.

„Oh, Chaerin! You scared me.” Said Sandara looking startled as much as the blonde.

„I should be the one saying this, aigoo…” Chaerin shook her head pulling her hand off of her chest. For a while she just looked at the delicate feetures of the young woman in front of her, then got the bags out of her hands, because she looked like she was struggling with the plus weight. „Let me help you. My god, what are these? Don’t tell me you went shopping.”

That’s not what she wanted to say. She wanted to close Sandara in a tight embrace saying how could she be so careless wandering around alone int he middle of the night. How could she scare her like this. But she didn't do it. And had no idea why.

Chaerin put the bags down and started to got everything out with Sandara’s help.

„Well…” sighed the brunette. „It’s just… I want to make dinner for you today but I knew we didn't have all the ingredients, so I went out to get everything.”

„I thought it was my turn to cook dinner” mumbled the blonde eyeing a pack of squid in her hand. „What is it for?” She asked and looked at the Sandara.

That was when she saw it. A quite big, angry bruise marked her pretty face. The dark purple patch made strong contrast with her porcelain white skin. Without thinking Chaerin reached out and gently placed her finder against the soft skin of her chin turning her head a bit for a better view.

„What’s this?!” She sounded angry. She was indeed angry. Was this made by a human hand? If someone dared to hurt her, she will kill them. Who would harm such a bunny like Sandara?

The brunette looked at her with big eyes.

„What’s what? There is something on my face?”

She was amazed. Didn't she feel it? This should be hella painful!

„The bruise! How did you get it?” She let go of her chin but just because she didn't want Sandara to see that her hand was shaking now.

She saw this mark before. Long-long time ago she used to know these too well.

But on her own body. Only one thing could cause this. It made her sick.

„What bruise?”

Sandara hurried to the bathroom to look at her reflection in the mirror. When she saw it, she poked at it with her index finger but she showed no sign of pain.

„Oh my god. How is it so big?” Sandara whispered to herself, but Chaerin could hear it just as well.

„How did you get it?” The blonde asked trying to calm herself down.

Sandara glanced at her with a slight worry in her eyes, but the next second a smile came onto her face.

„I’m really clumsy I guess. When I was preparing to leave from the restaurant, I dropped my bag accidently and when I leaned down to pick it up, I hit the edge of the table. It doesn't even hurt, I don’t understand why is it so big.”

Chaerin just stood there looking at her. Hitting the edge of a table does not cause a bruise with this round shape. That would be longer and thiner line. But she wanted to believe what Sandara was saying. Her explanation was much more pleasant. But could it be true?

„I’m fine, really” said Sandara with a smile and left the bathroom. „It doesn't hurt at all. I was a bit tired and didn't see the table. I will be more careful next time.” She walked past Chaerin and continued to empty to shopping bags.

„What uh…” Chaerin cleared because her voice sounded a bit hoarse. „What kind of dish will you cook?”

„Oh, it’s something reaaaally special” singsonged Sandara happily. If she is like this, maybe there is really no problem at all – thought Chaerin. „This is actually something I make the best.”

„Really? Then why did I never get to taste it?” She found herself smiling as well. Looking at this bubbly goddess made her heart flutter.

„Because the ingredients are expensive. We only make it only once a month usually.”

We?”

Sandara looked up blushing a little, then averted her gaze.

„Well. I mean… uh…”

„What does ’We’ stands for? You mean your family, right?”

Chaerin watched her intetntly. Could this be another moment to get to know her more? Maybe she will open up on her own this time. That would be great.

„Yes” Sandara nodded with a small smile. „This dish is my family’s favourite food. It was kind of a ritual making it.”

Chaerin wanted to ease her a bit. She grabbed the bottle of soy milk to put it the freezer, so Sandara won’t feel pressured. „Ritual? Like, you make it in a speacial way?”

„Yes” answered Sandara while arranging the things she bought. Looked like if she is distracted, she is more willing to speak about her past. „It was always my mom and me on the first Sunday of every month while our father was out. When my little sister was old enough, she could also participate in the process. But my little brother didn't want to intrude this ’girly’ thing so those times he would usually clean our room or something like that.”

She have siblings?! Two younger siblings… She is the oldest child in her family. Just like me.

Chaerin didn't want to call her on it when she told these things willingly without asking. She will save that story for another time.

„When was the first time you made it alone? I assume your mother wouldn't let you make it just by yourself at first.”

Sandara was searching for a bowl in the cupboard that was big enough for her liking then looked at the blonde. She was perfectly aware of the fact that she shared her secrets with her. Things she would never tell a few weeks earlier. Chaerin was a bit suspicious. Why now? The brunette almost looked like an average adolescent – well, more pretty than an average woman though – who had no scars on her souls like the real Sandara actually had.

„Of course” she replied chuckling a bit. „It was precious to her.” She held up a bag of pre-made rice cakes. „Do you know what it is?” As Chaerin looked though all the ingredients being spread across the table, she nodded with a smile. „Haemul Tteokbokki” Sandara said out loud. Her voice was so quiet, it almost came out as a whisper. „Everyone loved it so mother always wanted it to be perfect. I knew it, obviously so I never asked if I can make it myself. But one time she handed me the wooden spoon and stepped aside. I turned sixteen on that day. She prepared my birthday cake instead and I got to take care of it alone.”

„Was it good?” Chaerin asked smiling. This atmosphere was so calm, so peaceful. Even with that feeling lingering in her body that something was not right. That bruise told Chaerin that she should be cautious right now.

„The cake?” Sandara looked up from washing the vegetables with a curious expression on her face. She was just like a child again. Cute as always.

„No” the blonde chuckled. „Well, that too. But I meant the tteokbokki. Did you make it good?”

Sandara looked down at the spring onions in her hand again with a smile.

„Yeah. It turned out to be really good. Mother was really proud of me. And of course of my sister as well. She helped me making it.”

Chaerin wondered if this was the real Sandara. The one before all the bad thins happened to her. Before she jumped while walking the streets if she heard a loud noise. Before she had to look over her shoulder in fear someone was approaching her. Before she woke up from time to time due to nightmares where people hurt her. Before in reality people did hurt her for whatever reasons.

Was this Sandara the same sixteen years old one who cooked delicious food with her mother and little sister on ever Sunday? She was dying to find out what was she like then. What was the innocent and pure Sandara like before the world broke her.

Was this person in front of her that teenager? It felt like thought.

As she watched the thin brunette chopping vegetables so precisely with a loving smile on her face she couldn’t help but feel something. It made her feel at home. Like back in the old days during her carefree childhood. Before the golden age was over, it felt like this right now. Her mother would make them delicious food, her own baby sister would follow her wherever she went and even her father used to smile often. When did she lost the way? She couldn’t remember. And when did she find it again? Not when she run away from home. Not when boss took her in and gave her job. Not when she succeed her audition to YG. Not when sajangnim announced that she was ready to debut and have her very own album. Not when she met Bom or Minji.

No.

It was one month ago. When she met Sandara and with that she got a new purpose in life. To protect this broken soul. Having Sandara by herself gave her feelings she have never felt before. It was a new and exciting. Something innocent and pure. Something that eased her loneliness. She only knew this person for one month but it was as if she found her other self in her she didn't even know she lost. Like finding a twin you never know you get separated from. Before her life was a mess, now it felt complete for the first time. Everything felt right.

„Let me help you.”

Sandara looked up from her work and found a grinning blonde stepping closer to her.

„You said this is something you always did with your family. Let me help you then. The kind of haemul tteokbokki that your family makes shouldn't be prepared by only one person, I assume.” The blonde grinned at her. „That’s the secret, right? It tastes good, because there is a special ingredient.”

It sounded so cheesy, but it was right. The life of the Park family was a complete mess. They couldn't afford to always eat special things, so this one in a month event brought them together. They wanted to get the most out of it. That’s why it tasted so good.

She looked at Chaerin a bit startled and nervous. Maybe she didn't expect her to offer help, but she didn't answer for a while. Then she handed the blonde a bowl with full of washed vegetables smiling brightly.

„Can you chop them up for me?”

„Of course.”

After a while she let Chaerin do harder and harder tasks as well, but she always watched her with careful eyes to never make any mistakes. This dish meant a great deal to her. She wanted it to be perfect. She decided to show Chaerin what was it like by the Park family before everything fell apart.

 

~*~

 

When they were ready with everything and just left the bowl on the stove to let food cool a bit, Sandara sit down with a heavy sigh. Chaerin followed her example still smiling. She was happy because the brunette never stopped chatting. She told small stories from her childhood how was it to grow up with two younger siblings she had to take care of when their parents were away working. She was a really caring older sister – Chaerin thought.

„You’ve made a good job. I bet it will be delicious” the blonde told her.

„I hope so.” Sandara answered but took her time to regain her strength to look up. When she did, her face looked a bit red and her eyes somewhat unfocused. She was like this during making their dinner as well, but Chaerin thought it must be due to the hot air that the stove produced. Now she wasn’t so sure. She looked a little too tired.

„Hey, Sandara” she said in a quiet tone. When the brunette was still looking at the ground a bit lifeless Chaerin stood up. „Sandara?”

She finally glanced at her but still looked disorientated.

She can’t be this sleepy.

„Are you okay?”

„Uh-huh” Sandara mumbled, but closed her eyes short after.

Chaerin frowned a bit and leaned down to the older girl and caressed her face gently with her palm. Her cheek felt hot against her skin. She reached for her forehead next.

„Did you catch a cold?” She asked, but the brunette just shrugged her shoulders. „Do you feel sick?”

„I’m okay” replied Sandara and opened her eyes. Her dark irises held her gaze for a while. It felt weird to be so close to her while touching her face, so she leaned back. „But thank you for your concern.” She smiled at Chaerin with gratitude.

„Come” said Chaerin reaching for her arms. „You should lay down.”

„But I’m not ill” shook her head Sandara but still let the girl pulling her to her feet and lead her to the futons.

„I think you have a fever. You should rest.”

Sandara obeyed her and sat down.

„Change into your pajamas. I will take care of the rest. I won’t ruin it, promised.”

„I wouldn't assume” She replied immediately.

„I know” Chaerin smiled at her. „Don’t push yourself too much. It must be because you were out this late. It’s cold outside.”

She her heels to go back to the kitchen area and let Sandara change her clothes in peace. She was actually more worried than she showed it. Something was definitely off about Sandara. First she is late by two hours and then she shows up with a bruise on her face and shopping bags in her hands because she suddenly wants to make a dish she used to make with her mother. Then she willingly share tales of her past. Last she tired out herself so much she’s got a slight fever. This was all too weird.

But she won’t ask anything. Not today. If she will be like that later as well, maybe she will have a word with Sandara but right now she was just happy with the brunette’s talkativeness and the atmosphere she made while cooking this delicious looking dinner.

The haemul tteokbokki was ready after ten minutes. She put the bowls on a tray and return to Sandara.

„Let’s eat your speciality” She said with a smile and sat down. „It smells great.”

„It’s better, because you helped me” Sandara smiled at her.

Chaerin was touched by her words, but she couldn’t really answer. So they just started to eat in silence. Beside telling each other once in a while that the food is indeed very delicious they couldn’t say anything. they didn’t know, but the warm food made them feel the same way. They remembered how was it like to be at home with their families eating together. What was is it like before. But the memories were bitter because the endings were said. After all they just glanced at each other for ressurence that the other is there. That they are no longer lonely, they have someone to eat in peace with again.

They couldn’t be happier.

 


 

Merry late Christmas and Happy new Year! ^^

We are already at the tenth chapter! Wow, I'm so happy :') Sorry for not updating sooner, but holidays and my exams did not let me write my fanfictions too much. It’s here now anyway. Hope you liked it.