Step by Step

When the Bluebells were blooming

I wanted to post this sooner, but I’m in the middle of a little vacation right now, and I didn't have much time to write. Hope you don’t mind.

Anyway. Thank you very much for the subscriptions, comments and the upvote! I hope you will find my story interesting later as well. Have a nice time reading this chapter!

 


 

The next morning she felt better. She wasn't so pale anymore, she wasn't shivering all the time if she didn't have a blanket around her shoulders. Though her behavior remained the same. She usually didn’t talk much, and her favourite activity was to sit with her head hung low and to avoid Chaerin’s stares.

Of course the blonde planned to change things and open up the girl a bit, but it wasn't easy.

„Why were those men chasing you yesterday?” she asked carefully while sipping her tea.

Sandara glanced at her then quickly looked at her mug on the table instead.

„It wasn’t clever to run around the streets without a coat. Or proper shoes to say.” said Chaerin hoping the girl would finally explain her situation.

„I… ran away” murmured the brunette still had not taking her eyes off of her tea.

„From the club, right?” Sandara nodded. „Is that your workplace? Did they treated you poorly?”

Her answer was silence.

Though Chaerin suspected the truth. The girl didn't have anywhere to go, probably the rundown club was something she should call home. She had to be really desperate to ran away from there. Maybe they didn't pay her well, or even abused her. She was really scared. Even in her nice, warm apartment, she was terrified.

„What are your plans, then?”

Though Chaerin offered her the stay there, this was just a temporary solution. Of course she wanted to help the girl until she can live on her own, but they had to come up with something. The blonde usually was working all day almost every day of the week. She couldn't drag the girl with herself all the time, and she didn't wanted to leave her there locked up either. Though Sandara seemed to be afraid of going out to the streets, leaving her in that small place would be simply torture.

The girl looked up carefully, then shook her head.

„I don’t know. I thought I should search for a job… somewhere.”

Oh, god, this girl! She can’t even say a sentence properly, how on earth will she go on job interviews? How could she even work in this state? She looks like a small bunny who is even afraid from her own shadow!

They should go to the police – she still thought the same way. If her employers were indeed abusing the girl, they should sue them. The police maybe even could get them some help.

„Okay. Good start” said Chaerin, though her thoughts were not similar to the words she said out loud. „What kind of work would you like to do?”

She just lowered her gaze again.

Cool. This will be a lot harder than I thought.

But they will solve this somehow. Chaerin arrived to Seoul in similar conditions and she could even solve that on her own. She can do it again. After all not even 24 hours passed since meeting the girl the other day. She shouldn't wait for so much development in such a short time. She will open up with time. Maybe she will tell her everything when Chaerin wouldn't expect. She just has to wait.

The ringing of her smartphone brought her out of ther thoughts. The device was screaming the song loudly and Chaerin quickly ran towards the couch. Her mobile was in her bag. After getting her hands on the phone, she glanced at the clock that hanged on the wall.

„Oh, god. Oh, shiiiit, I'm late…” She tapped the touchscreen of the phone, then lifted it to her ear. „Annyeong haseyo, sajangnim! Yeah, I’m on my way, I’m just… Ah yeah, the storm yesterday… No, everything’s fine. I’ll be there in half an hour. Annyeong haseyo!” She dropped to phone to the couch and her heels.

„How much time do you need to change?”

Sandara just stared at her raising her eyebrows, but Chaerin didn't wait for her answer. She ran to her wardrobe and started to pull clothes out of it for both of them.

 

~*~

 

The snow reached their ankles, which didn’t make the slightest easier to reach Chaerin’s workplace. Their destination was close to the blonde’s apartment so they decided not to take the bus. There was a lot of traffic jam due to the storm anyway, they were even faster on foot.

Chaerin sometimes looked back over her shoulders to see if the girl was keeping up. Sandara was always only one or two steps away. Though the run tired her quickly, she wouldn't complain at all.

When they arrived in front of the building of YG entertainment, they stopped for a moment to catch their breaths. Sandara put her hands on her knees heavily panting, Chaerin on the other hand was able to stand with her head high.

„I’m sorry. I had to come here so suddenly, but I didn't want to leave you at home.” Explained the blonde. Sandara tried to get herself together and to listen to her, though she still panted a bit. „Well… I’m working here, it’s an entertainment agency. I hope they would not mind that I brought you here today.”

Sandara didn't even have time to think things through, Chaerin headed toward the staircase immediately. The brunette had to run if she wanted to keep up with her.

Entertainment Agency? Is Chaerin-ssi really working in a fancy place like this? – thought the girl.

When they entered the building the arrived to a medium sized but spacious hall. It looked clean and neat. The walls were white, the floor tiles were grey and big windows let the sunshine flood the room. People were running around but everyone had time to greet the blonde with bright smiles. And after that they all looked confused at Sandara. The girl just hung her head feeling embarrassed, and tried to step behind Chaerin but she didn't have time to hide.

„I have a meeting upstairs. We have to run a bit again, sorry.” With an apologetic look on her face, Chaerin grabbed the brunette’s hand and dragged her through the hall.

She’s really strong – Sandara thought trying to keep up with her pace and at the same time not tripping over her own feet. Chaerin’s foot size was a little bigger than hers, so her toes don't reach the front of the boots

They used the elevator for Sandara’s relief and they didn’t stop until they reached the top floor. When the doors opened they turned right. In front of one of the three doors Chaerin stopped with a troubled look on her face. Sandara didn’t even noticed her expression, she was just looking around the floor with slightly parting lips. Everything looked more richer here. The painting on the wall, the decoration on the doors, even the chairs held some kind of richness in themselves. She couldn’t even imagine places like this existed.

„Sandara-ah” Hearing her own name she turned to the blonde. „I have to go in now. Would you mind waiting for me outside? This won’t be long. We will finish in 15 minutes maximum.”

„Oh, of course, don’t worry about me.” Answered the girl quickly. „I will wait here.” Chaerin nodded and knocked on the door. The girl wawed at her with a kind smile, the blonde then returned it.

She was completely alone now and she didn’t know what to do with her time. She looked around but saw noone at the other side of the floor. Maybe it was better this way. She bit her lower lip then sat down on one of the chairs. To her biggest surpise, it was very confortable. She closed her eyes and leaned to the backrest with a sign. Oh yeah. She could even fall asleep here.

No! She quickly opened her eyes and sat up. She can’t do this right now. It’s Chaerin’s workplace for god’s sake! But she was tired. She had only a few hours of sleep last night, and even those hours weren't too relaxing.

She was tired.

Tired of it. Of all the things she had to…

No. She shook her head. She didn't wanted to think about.

She had to keep herself busy with something. Anything. She looked down at herself, at the clothes Chaerin gave to her. Though the blonde justsnatched them out from the wardrobe without thinking, but these all matched, looked fashionable, even a bit expensive as well. They were fancy and wild, she maybe didn't even see clothes like that at all.

Oh, right. What was the last time she actually could went to shopping spree? The world probably changed a lot since then.

„Hi there!”

She looked up instantly and saw a guy walking towards her. She had absolutely no idea what she should do. Was he important? Was he older? Probably not. He looked young. She was a visitor, but she maybe still had to show great respect towards the ones who worked there. She got up and bowed.

„A-Annyeong haseyo” she greeted him. She thought the guy would just walk past her, since he moved quite fast, but to her surprise, he stopped. Right in front of her. Sandara looked up carefully at the guy who was just standing there with his hands in his pockets.

„Ah, um…” she mumbled and straightened her back. She couldn’t bear his intense gaze and looked down at her hands.

„Who are you? I have never seen you here.”

What should she say? She didn't wanted Chaerin to get in trouble because of her poorly chosen words.

„Well, I… uh… I'm with Chaerin-ssi” Sandara hoped this would satisfy the guy’s curiosity and he would just leave her alone, but she wasn't lucky. The guy remained there. Maybe she should have said something. Yes. She should have at least told him her name, right? But when she opened to actually say something, no sound left . She couldn’t utter a word, though she wanted to.

He was too close. The guy was barely taller than her, but she was embarrassed. She could feel the scent of his perfume. His breath above her head. She started to shudder.

„Jiyoung? ’The hell are you doing?”

Upon hearing the high pitched voice, both of them turned their heads. Sandara saw as Chaerin left the room with another person on her side. He looked weird. He wore his baseball cap on the top of his hoodie.

„Nothing” The guy in front of her shrugged his shoulders. „I thought sajangnim don't like if we bring outsiders here.”

„Oh, just shut up! When did you started to respect the rules anyway?” Jiyoung just laughed out loud. The blonde walk to them and grabbed the girl’s arm gently. She wanted to diappear from their sight, but the guy didn’t let them.

„Chaerin!”

The blonde halted and looked back over her shoulder, while Sandara just looked down to the floor.

„You know that I wouldn’t do anything like this if it wasn’t emergency.”

„Do you need help?” asked the guy. His face looked neutral, but Chaerin could see through his shield. He cared about her.

She just shook her head.

„No.” At least for the time being. But she thought it’s possible that in the future she would have to involve the boy as well.

They headed towards the staircase. Since they would only walk down one floor, they didn't need the elevator. The moment they reached the lower floor, Chaerin stopped and turned to the brunette.

„Was he rude to you?” She asked with great worry in her eyes. Sandara just shook her head. „You sure? You can tell me if he was.” She just nodded. „Okay then.” Chaerin sighed. „I didn't wanted to cause inconvenience to you.” Which was true. She was anxious to left the girl alone there, but when she saw Jiyoung in front of her, it was worse.

„It’s fine, nothing happened” assured the girl, faking a smile.

„That’s good.” smiled Chaerin at her.

„You ready, gal?” Sandara turned her head towards the source of the voice and saw the guy with the baseball cap again. He didn't seem dangerous or anything, his smile was rather kind, but somehow she was still a bit afraid of him.

„’Course, oppa” replied the blonde with a big grin on her face. „We can go.”

The cap guy lead the way to a small and dark room with lots of computers. He sat down in one of the chairs and started tapping the keyboard.

„Do you need anything?” Sandara just shook her head rapidly. „Are you sure? aren't you thirsty or anything?”

„No, I’m fine, thank you.”

„Okay” nodded the blonde. „I’m sorry that I ask you this again, but can you wait me there while I'm working?” She asked pointing at the couch by the wall. „This could take a while, but after that we could go and have lunch together.”

„Don’t worry about me, really” smiled at her the girl. „I’m fine.” Then she headed towards the couch. Chaerin felt a bit bad for dragging the girl through the snow and then just make her sit and do noting all day.

But she couldn’t do anything about it. She had to do her job and somewhere deep down she could feel that the girl felt better with people around her then at home alone. Chaerin was afraid she might get panicked again, like last night. If she isn’t there for her in this state that could make things worse.

 

~*~

 

„Thanks, Teddy-oppa. I love it!” Chaerin said after listening to the instrumental version of her song.

It took for them over two hours, but finally they could finished the piece they were working all week.

„Let the recording to tomorrow, we probably won’t have any time for it today.” Told her the guy, and Chaerin nodded in agreement.

The blonde looked at the clock on the wall with a satisfied smile on her face, but she become shocked when she realized how much time actually passed. She glanced at the couch worriedly and saw that Sandara was sleeping soundly.

„Who’s the chick, Chaerin? I wasn't going to ask this, it’s not my busyness, but it kinda bugs me, you know.”

She thought carefully before speaking. What should she tell him. Even she didn't know the answer. The girl was still „just” a stranger to her, she only knew her name. Gosh! It occurred to her just now, she didn’t even know her surname! This situation was ed up. Big time.

„Just a friend in need.” She said with a sigh. Teddy nodded and didn't ask anything more. He turned back towards the monitor and reached for the mouse.

Chaerin slowly headed to the girl. She carefully tapped her shoulder hoping she would wake up, and Sandara indeed opened her eyes though she still seemed really sleepy.

For a little while she didn’t come to her senses, just stared at Chaerin’s face, then she fully opened her eyes and sat up instantly

„W-What happened?”

The blonde just laughed a bit. „Nothing. You were sleeping. I’m sorry I had to wake you up, but we need to go.”

„I’m sorry. It was rude of me, isn’t it?” Asked Sandara. She felt really bad about it.

„Nah. I’ve made you wait for a long time and you didn't have much sleep last night. It’s okay.” She smiled at the brunette reassuringly. „Do you want to eat? Cause I’m kinda starving.”

Chaerin took her coat and started to dress up, and Sandara followed her example silently. Before stepping out of the room they said they goodbyes to Teddy. The guy waved kindly, but sent a suspicious glance at the brunette. The girl hung hear head feeling rather embarrassed, and upon seeing this Chaerin grabbed her hand and dragged her out of the room.

 

They choose a restaurant near the building of YG entertainment. It was really small and simple, and gave cozy feeling to the guests. They sat down in the corner and a waitress appeared in a minute.

Chaerin ordered bibimbap and then both the waitress and her looked at Sandara.

The girl glanced down at her hands on the table. The blonde was already fed up with her overly humble behaviour.

„I’m not hungry.” mumbled the girl. Chaerin of course was sure she was lying. Sandara had not eaten all day.

Sighing she turned to the waitress and ordered for her the same, and the woman left their table. Sandara looked really surprised.

„Bu-But I really don’t need anything…”

„Just stop this, okay? I heard your stomach growling.”

The girl’s cheeks become red instantly, but this time she didn't look away. She gulped and then spoke up. „I don’t want to be a burden to you. I mean… financially.”

So this was all about money! Chaerin just smiled at her. Sandara didn't return it, but bite down on her lip.

„No offence, but you have absolutely no money. I doubt you can pay for it yourself. And I don’t want you to starve.”

„I’m really sorry.”

„No! Stop this now. I told you not to worry about anything. I’ll help you out until you can live on your own. Let’s talk about something else. Is there something you want to discuss with me, except this matter?”

The girl didn't really talk much, and on top of that, she was very quiet. Chaerin thought she have never met someone this timid in her life. She was curious about Sandara’s real voice. She was sure the brunette could be loud as well.

Sandara thought for a minute then nodded.

„I hope I’m not rude to ask this, but… you are a singer, right?”

Chaerin sent a surprised glance at the girl then laughed a bit. That was a cute question to ask. The girl watched her for hours making musical arrangements with Teddy, of course she was a singer.

„Yeah” she said finally. „Singer and rapper to be exact.”

„And uh… you are in a girl band too?”

This one was more reasonable. The past years so much girl and boy bands debuted in Korea Chaerin couldn't even count them. These idols were everywhere. In TV, in Radio, on billboards…

„Nope. I go solo.” she grinned showing her flawless teeth. Not that she had a problem with girl bands, but she liked this path more. She wrote her own lyrics, made her own music, created her own style in clothing and makeup.

But sometimes she was a bit lonely.

The girl wasn't confused or afraid anymore, but enthusiastic which Chaerin found really sweet.

„Amazing! And are you popular?”

„Eh?” She just laughed again. The girl behaved like a fangirl. „I can’t be that popular if you don’t know who I am, can I?”

„Oh.” The brunette froze for a moment, then shook her head. „Ah, I’m sorry, I’m just… I didn't wanted to be rude, you know I’m not familiar with the most of the artists, and…”

„Don't worry” Waved Chaerin with her left hand never stop laughing. „To be honest, it hasn't even been a year since my debut and I never released an album since then. We are working on it though but it will take one or two month to finish it. Maybe I can gain some popularity after that while promoting it, but it’s also possible I will never really break into the music scene.”

„Well, what I heard was really good. I’m sure you will be very famous soon!”

„You heard me?” Now it was Chaerin’s turn to be surprised. She thought the girl was sleeping all along. Looked like she was awake when the blonde sang some parts of the song to help Teddy arrange to music better.

„A little” She confessed. „And I liked it. You are talented.”

„In this case, thank you.”

The return of the waitress interrupted their conversation. For a while they just enjoyed the food, then Sandara started a conversation on her own, without Chaerin asking her questions.

She wanted to know more about the agency, whether there are other artists beside the blonde and whether Sandara might knows them. Chaerin told her a few things about her labelmates and upon hearing some names the brunette started nodding rapidly. She heard them in the radio and she thought she liked their music as well.

However Chaerin started to think. She heard them only in the radio? She doesn't watch TV? Some of them even appeared in variety shows and dramas. That was also weird that she did not recognised G-Dragon. She claimed that she heard his name and even could name some of his songs, but she met the boy in real life that day. How come she didn't recognise him. Jiyoung was everywhere. He was kind of a phenomenon. Chaerin thought that young girls like the brunette (since she didn't look older than a high school student or a freshman in college) liked celebrities. But this girl seemed like she wasn't even lived in the same world as her.

Until the end of their lunch break they were talking about the agency, then they returned to the building. Chaerin had a dance practice and a meeting in the afternoon, so they had to hurry up. Sandara was in the practise room the whole time and watched them fascinated by their skills. At the end of some songs she even clapped a bit, other times she tapped her foot on the ground to the rhythm of the music.

Overall she wasn't a distraction to them, she was just sitting in the corner. She even helped the dancers by giving them water and towels from the table. It looked like she like to be useful and the dancers didn't mind it at all. During one break Chaerin even heard some guys talking about how cute Sandara is and they were competing which of them will get the bottle of water first from her.

The blonde was happy to saw it, since Sandara wasn't bored anymore. She decided that the next day she will come up with something and she won’t bring her to her workplace, but today she was just glad they didn't cause too much trouble.

At the end of the practise she walked to the girl panting a bit.

„Chaerin-ssi, soooo cool!” Cheered Sandara instantly which the blonde just listened to smiling. „You are all so good dancers! Daebak!”

„Thank you. We are working hard.” she sad smiling.

Before the girl could’ve said more, someone shouted Chaerin’s name. She turned her head and saw a familiar figure standing on the threshold. Her smile disappeared right away. She glanced back at Sandara.

„I gotta go, I’ll be back in a minute. Don’t you mind it?”

„No, of course not.” The brunette shook her head, but she seemed more tense now, though she still tried to smile.

But the blonde didn't have time to deal with her insecurities. She hurried to the door and closed it after stepping out to the corridor.

„Annyeong haseyo, sajangnim” She greeted the man and bowed.

„Annyeong, Chaerin-ssi.”                                      

He wasn't smiling. Moreover, he frowned. Not good.

„I will go right to the point, Chaerin” started the man with a sigh. „People told me about it and now I could saw it myself as well. I hope you have an explanation.”

But she didn't. She couldn't come up with anything that her boss would believe. And she didn't wanted to lie to him either.

Chaerin looked him in the eyes and shook her head.

„She’s in trouble. I thought she would better to stay with me, but I won’t do anything like this again. I can promise you that.”

„It is not that simple, Chaerin” replied the man getting more and more serious. „This girl was there during your dance practise and musical arrangements. I believe you understand my intentions to keep our projects a secret.”

„Yes, sajangnim.” She nodded. „But she won't tell this anyone. I guarantee it.”

„You words are not enough. It’s a dangerous ground we are standing on. One mistake and it will collapse underneath our feet.”

„I know. And I’m sorry. I won’t do this again.”

The man sighed. He lifted his gaze from the blonde thinking for a minute then glanced back with a gentle expression on his face.

„What kind of trouble is she in?”

Good question. But noone knew the answer. Except of course Sandara.

„It’s complicated. But I promise it won’t affect my work or the life of the agency.”

„Okay” nodded the man. „I trust you.” With a slight nod he his heels and headed back to his office. Chaerin watched him until he disappeared from the corridor.

„It’s complicated” she repeated it to herself. „So ing complicated.”

When she entered the practise room again, she saw as Sandara and a dancer girl arranged the empty bottles. The dancer was telling a story which the brunette listened to with a smile on her face. Chaerin was glad that not a male found her sooner because Sandara seemed a bit tense near them.

„What kind of trouble did you get into?” she asked silently so that noone could hear it. „You have to tell me.”

She didn't wanted to push the girl too much, but the things had to change. She had to solve this case somehow. The sooner the better.

 


 

So Chaerin is a singer after all. I made some changes though. She is not a member of any girl groups and YG entertainment is only an underground agency not one of the Big Three.

Hope you liked this chapter, though it wasn’t that interesting IMO. Things won’t be this slow forever, I promise. But I wanted to show you a piece of Chaerin's life. Sandara is still a mystery tho. Are you curious about what happened to her?