Papa's Assassin - Chapter 4

Papa's Assassin

The boy found himself seated in the front passenger seat whilst the man drove.  He had tried to decline the offer but the older man was persistent.  In the end, he figured that it was probably just easier to accept the older man's kind gesture.

The car slowed down to a stop at the lights which had changed red.  The child in the back seat glanced out the window where his eyes lit up with delight.

"Daddy! Daddy!" the child called out.

The man glanced back at the child to see what was wrong.  "What is it, Jitae?"

The child pointed out the window.  "I'm hungry, daddy," he said.  "Can we go there, please?"

The man followed the child's line of sight and saw the restaurant.  He glanced back at the child, only to be met with his pleading puppy dog eyes.  He could never say no to that face.

Persuaded by both the older man and child, the boy reluctantly joined them for a meal at the restaurant.  He discovered that the older man was a loving father who easily gave in to his child's demands.  He was also a very generous man, ordering so much food for just the three of them.

"Alright, no one's going home until we finish everything on this table," the man declared.

The child cheered with joy.

The boy sat and watched in amusement as the man tried to wipe off the chocolate ice cream which was smeared across the child's face.  The child was obedient enough to stay still for a few seconds to let the man wipe it off before he continued to scoop another spoonful to feed himself.  A smile spread upon the boy's lips when he saw the child turn to grin at the man, with his chocolate smeared face once again.

"Want some?" the child asked, offering a spoonful to the boy sitting across the table.

The boy shook his head.  "No, thank you," he said before glancing outside.  "It's stopped raining, I should go."

The man glanced out the window and noticed that it was no longer raining.  "Let me drive you home," insisted the man.  "I said I would drive you home, instead we've made you waste your time here with us so-"

The boy got up from his seat and grabbed his bag.  "It's alright.  Thank you for the meal."


When the man and the child returned to their car a short time later, the man noticed the umbrella leaning against the front passenger seat.  He sighed and glanced up at the grey clouds above.  He could only hope that it would not rain again.


He glanced at his watch as he hurried along the deserted streets.  He had been careless to let time slip by him.  He had almost forgotten the real reason why he was here.

As he turned the corner into a small alley, he felt a presence behind him.  He immediately turned around and was greeted with the sight of a fist aiming for his face.  He was quick to react, managing to evade his attacker and avoid the blow.  His attacker followed through with punches in succession however, he was able to block them all.  His attacker frowned in anger before they heard the screeching of tyres.

"Hey!" a voice called out, interrupting the scene.  "What are you doing?"

Without turning to look back at who had interrupted them, his attacker pushed him aside and disappeared down the alley.  At the force of the shove from his attacker, he stumbled and fell to the ground.