Papa's Assassin - Chapter 16

Papa's Assassin

Woohyun opened his eyes the next morning and found himself staring at an unfamiliar ceiling.  He was lying in a bed but it was not his own.  He tried to sit up but grimaced when he felt a pain in his side.  He looked down and saw that his wound had been dressed.  He then recalled what had happened last night.  He had been careless to let his guard down and even implicating Sunggyu.  He was only thankful that the older man was alright.

He climbed out of bed and walked out of the room, trying to find out who had saved him.  The small apartment was awfully quiet with no sign of anyone else around.  He glanced about the place and noticed that it only had the bare essentials of household items, much like his own.

There were no photos or personal items displayed for him to even identify who had helped him.  He figured that the person must be very trusting towards others to allow a stranger to roam free in his home. 

Unable to find the owner, Woohyun looked around and found a pen and paper.  He scribbled something on the paper before taking his leave.


Sometime later, the owner of the apartment returned to find the note on the coffee table.

Thank you, it read.


As Woohyun walked along the busy street, he came by an electronics store with a a large television on display in the window.  What caught his attention was the news on the screen.  Ten boys were found beaten so badly that they were all on life support.  Woohyun could not believe his eyes when he recognised their bloodied faces.


Woohyun walked long the quiet hallway until he came to the room.  He was about to knock when he realised that the door was left ajar.  What surprised him more was hearing the voice of a woman inside the room.  Curious, he peered inside.

"I'll see you later then," said the woman as she got up from the seat beside the bed.

"I leave him in your care," said Sunggyu.

The woman smiled and leaned in to kiss Sunggyu on the lips.  The older man did not object, letting the woman do as she pleased.

"Of course," she replied and left the room.


Woohyun hurried down the hallway and turned the corner, only to bump into a tall figure.  He quickly stopped to apologise.

"Sorry," he said, lowering his head.

The tall figure looked at him.  "Woohyun?"

Upon hearing his name, Woohyun raised his head and saw that the person he had bumped into was Sungyeol.

"What are you doing here?" Sungyeol asked.  "Who are you visiting?"

"Just a friend," Woohyun lied and quickly headed for the exit.


Woohyun glanced back at the hospital building for a brief moment, feeling dejected.  Sunggyu's wife was a beautiful woman after all.  There was no way he could compete.  He turned away from the building and headed down the street.

What are you doing, Nam Woohyun? he thought to himself.  Why are you like this?  Have you forgotten why you are here?  You have a job to do.

The loud beeping of a car horn interrupted his thought.  He jolted back to reality to find himself on the road with a car heading street for him.  Before he had a chance to react, he felt someone grab onto his arm and pull him back onto the footpath, a split second before the car came speeding past.

Woohyun let out a gasp as he looked up at the face of the person who had just saved his life.  It was the face of someone he saw every day but barely held a conversation with, the bullied boy from school, Kim Myungsoo.