Papa's Assassin - Chapter 13

Papa's Assassin

When the fireworks finally came to an end, Sunggyu turned to look at Woohyun.  He wondered what the boy wanted to say before they were interrupted by the loud fireworks.

"What were you going to say?" Sunggyu asked.

Woohyun looked at the older man with hesitation.  He could not believe that he was so caught up in the moment that he was about to say something he should not be saying.  After a moment of contemplation he shook his head. 

"It's nothing," Woohyun replied.

Sunggyu did not question him any further.  "It's late.  We should get going."

Sunggyu carried a sleepy Jitae in his arms while Woohyun helped carry the toys which they had won.  They made their way down the hill and were almost at the bottom when Jitae glanced around as if looking for something.

"Daddy, where's my bunny?" the child asked.

Woohyun looked at the toys in his hands but did not see a bunny.  He figured that they must have left it up the hill.  "I'll go get it."

Woohyun raced back up the hill and returned to the spot where they had been sitting earlier.  He smiled with relief when he found the bunny soft toy lying there.  He quickly picked it up and headed back down when he he bumped into a group of people.

Sunggyu stood waiting by the car.  Jitae was already buckled up in the back seat and sleeping.  Sunggyu glanced in the direction of the hill and grew anxious.  Woohyun should have been back by now.  Seeing Jitae fast asleep, he locked the car and headed up the hill.

Woohyun clutched at his side as he stood surrounded by the group of youths armed with weapons.  He had let his guard down.

"Not so tough now, are you?" one of them mocked as he waved the knife in his hand.  "Did you think telling the student council was going to help you?  Did you think you could get away so easily?"

Woohyun frowned in confusion.  He had no idea what they were talking about.

Without letting Woohyun utter a word of protest, the group raised the weapons in their hands and charged at him.  Woohyun clenched his fists ready for their attacks. 

A figure stood in the shadows observing the scene.  He watched as Woohyun fought unarmed against his attackers.  It came as no surprise to him that Woohyun was able to defend himself against a group of armed youths.  Despite this, he found himself watching over the boy.  A frowned etched on his face when he saw the Woohyun take a step back and clutch at his side.

Seeing Woohyun drop his guard, one of his attackers charged forward about to strike him down with the metal pole in his hand.  Woohyun was quick to react, catching the pole with one hand.  During the struggle, another attacker crept up from behind and kicked him in the side, knocking him to the ground.

When he saw Woohyun on the ground and his attackers about to strike again, the figure took a step forward, about to intervene.  His came to a sudden halt when he saw another figure rush over towards the boy.

"Woohyun!" a voice shouted out.

Woohyun felt arms embracing him as he heard a loud thud.  He was pushed to the ground with a body on top of him.  Woohyun's eyes widened in surprise when he turned his head and saw that the person covering for him was Sunggyu.

"Sung-" His words came to a sudden halt when he saw the blood trickling down the side of the older man's head.  His eyes widened in shocked disbelief as he stared at the unconscious Sunggyu.   

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's note:

Sorry for the late update.  Some of my new bjds arrived so was busy playing with them ^__^