Papa's Assassin - Chapter 20

Papa's Assassin

He was shocked when he saw that the gun in his hands was aimed at the thin and pale boy standing before him.  Those times that they had met at the infirmary, he had thought the boy to be harmless.  It never occurred to him that such a fragile looking boy was the killer they were looking for.

"It's over," he announced.

The boy glared at him.  "Did he finally confess?"

He frowned in confusion, wondering what the boy meant.  "Confess?"

Judging from the confused look on his face, the boy realised that he did not know.  "So he hasn't," said the boy as he glanced at the man with a death glare.

"I don't know what you're talking about!" the old man retorted, looking slightly unsettled.

He glanced at the old man and then at the boy standing before him.

The boy laughed.  "Of course he wouldn't confess.  None of them did.  After all, the rich always get away with murder."

"What nonsense are you talking about?" the older man asked angrily.

The boy seemed amused at the man's anger.  "If you are a well respected minister as you claim to be, then why are you here?  Why did you not alert the whole task force instead of sending a lone soldier?  Isn't it because this is something you can't publicly announce to the whole world?"

He stood with the gun in his hand as he listened to the boy's words.  "If you have anything to say," he said to the boy.  "Then say it in front of the courts."

The boy smirked.  "I don't think so."

Before he could wonder the reason behind the boy's smirk, he felt a presence behind two.  He turned his head and was confronted by two masked figures who struck their swords at him.  He swerved out of the way of the blades, allowing the boy to make his escape. 

When the boy was out of sight, the two figures also withdrew from the scene as quickly as they had arrived.  He contemplated firing at them but decided against it.  His orders were to not cause a scene which would attract attention. 

He contemplated a moment before he took out his phone and dialled.  "The target's safe," he informed.  "But it looks like the suspect has accomplices.  I'm going to pursue them."  He quickly ended the call before hearing a response.  "Stay here," he told the old man cowering in fear.  "My boss will be here soon."

With those words, he quickly rushed out the door.


The boy finally came to a stop when he thought he had run far enough.  He took out his phone and called the first name on his list.

"Sorry, Papa," he said apologised.  "I have failed you."

"Don't worry," said the voice on the other line.  "He won't escape."

The boy ended the call and turned around to see that the two figures had caught up to him.  He frowned at them.  "Why did you come?" he asked them.  "I could have taken care of it like I always do."

"Papa told us to come," they replied.  "Said you might need a hand."

"Who is this Papa of yours?" a voice asked.

The three turned around and saw a lone figure standing there with the gun pointed at them. 

"You're fast," one of them replied.

He looked at the boy and the two masked figures standing beside him.  "What kind of a man is he to ask you to kill for him?"

"A man seeking justice," he heard a voice behind him reply. 

He was about to turn around when he felt an arm snake around his waist from behind and the blade of a sword pressed against his neck.  Surprise and shock rushed through him.  He recognised that voice and the familiar scent. 

He knew this man.