Papa's Assassin - Chapter 18

Papa's Assassin

From a distance, he stood and watched as the people dressed in black, gathered at the burial site.  Amongst them, he caught sight of a familiar face.  The tall boy stood with tear stained eyes as he watched the coffin being lowered into the ground.

Seeing the tall boy in such sorrow, brought a frown upon his face.  I'm sorry, he wanted to say to the boy. It's all my fault.

With a heavy heart, he turned and walked away from the scene.


His eyes narrowed into an angry glare as he read the newspaper headline.  His anger was further fueled when he read the article which portrayed the man as if he were a saint whose life was stolen by a heartless killer.  A well respected man, loved by all.

Reading those words made him hate the world with the burning rage of a thousand suns.  He scrunched up the newspaper and tossed it into the bin with a mighty force which knocked the bin over.

They only dared to publish his death because he was found dead in a hospital bed, unlike the others who were in a scandalous state.  After all, who would dare publish the deaths of respected politicians found dead in a love hotel.

He took out his list and crossed the name off.  Only one name left.


The guilt was building up inside him.  All the other times, he did not think much of it, but this time was different.  It was someone he knew.  When he saw Sungyeol walk away from his group of friends and exit the cafeteria, he followed.

"Sungyeol," Woohyun called out when they were outside.

Sungyeol stopped and turned around, surprised to find Woohyun.

"I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather," said Woohyun.

Sungyeol looked at him for a moment in silence.  "He was just an old man," said Sungyeol finally.  "Why would someone want to kill him?"

Woohyun kept quiet, not knowing how to respond.

"You know, I was right there and yet, I let it happen," Sungyeol continued as tears began to well up in his eyes.  "I could have stopped it but I was too stupid to realise it until it was too late."

"It's not your fault," said Woohyun, trying to comfort him.  It's mine.


Woohyun leaned against the wall and let out a deep sigh.  He was too deep in thought to hear the bell ring at the end of lunch until he heard a voice call his name.

"Woohyun," a voice called out.  "What are you doing here?"

He jolted and looked to find Sunggyu standing beside him. 

"The bell has gone, you'll be late for class," Sunggyu informed, before noticing the troubled look on the boy's face.  "Are you okay?" 

Sunggyu reached out a hand towards the boy's face, but Woohyun slapped it away.  Woohyun saw the hurt and confusion in the older man's eyes but he glanced away.

There was a moment of silence.

"Woohyun," said Sunggyu in a soft voice.  "Why are you avoiding me?"

"Because you have a wife," he replied solemnly.

Sunggyu contemplated a moment.  "She's not-"

Without waiting to hear what Sunggyu had to say, Woohyun started to walk off.

"Woohyun," Sunggyu called out.  "Listen to me."

He grabbed Woohyun's hand and pulled him back to face him.  Upon staring into the boy's eyes, Sunggyu noticed that they were red.  He knew something was bothering the boy.  He gently touched the boy's face.

"What's wrong?" Sunggyu asked in a soft voice.  "What's bothering you?"

Woohyun was at breaking point.  He buried his face in Sunggyu's chest and let it all out.  "It's my fault.  I killed him."