You Weren't Supposed to See That

A Little Something Called Love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYoMVpjJGW4

 

          - Next day -

Hyemi stretched her arm out in an attempt to reach her phone on the other end of her table. Without looking up from his notes, Joon handed her her phone. He was studying for his immunology exam tomorrow and they were studying in her dorm - a change from their typical library study spot.

"Thanks." Hyemi said softly. Things were awkward between the two of them since last night but neither of them brought it up.

Joon just nodded.

*Seohee: Dinner tonight?

*Hyemi: Yes! 6pm?

*Seohee: See you there! Bring Joon!

*Hyemi: Okidokes!

"Who are you texting?" Joon peered up from his notes.

"Seohee. We're both going to meet her for dinner in an hour." Hyemi went back to studying.

Joon took off his glasses. "I don't think so. I have an exam tomorrow. I can't afford to eat." He put his glasses back on.

She puffed her cheeks. "Do you even hear yourself?" She stole his glasses. "You're eating dinner in an hour and that's final."

"No." He tried to grab his glasses back. "I have to study."

She held his glasses further away. "Wrong answer. Please try again."

"Hyemi. I'm serious. Give me my glasses." He said in his serious tone.

"Not until you promise that you'll go to dinner with us." She was persistent.

He sighed. "Hyemi. I'm in medical school. I need to study."

She didn't budge.

"Hyemi." He sat right next to her and leveled his face to hers. "I won't go to dinner. So give me back my glasses."

She gulped but didn't give in. "You're a human. You need to eat."

Since their faces were centimeters apart, he looked down at her lips and resisted the urge to kiss her. These lips kissed Kai last night, he thought as he leaned a bit further to grab his glasses. He pulled away and put his glasses back on. "I need to pass this exam if I want to stay in medical school. So I can't go to dinner with you, ok?"

She cleared and pinched her cheeks as if to hide the fact that she was blushing. "Okay. I'm sorry." What's wrong with me? Why is my heart beating so fast?

"Last night." Joon started. "I texted you last night because I wanted to give you back your pen." He pulled it out of his bag and placed it in front of her. "And to see if you wanted to grab frozen yogurt."

"Ah, sorry. Kai came over to return my notes and we ended up getting frozen yogurts ourselves."

"I know." Joon looked at her and she shifted awkwardly on her chair.

"Joon-" She was about to explain but her phone rang. It was Seohee.

"Are you coming down soon?" Seohee said on the other line.

"I'll head over to the cafeteria in a minute!" Hyemi grabbed her stuff as she hung up the phone. Joon was sitting on her ID but he went back into his study mood so she knew he wouldn't move for her. She tilted him in a way that still allowed him to continue to study. "I'm going to get dinner with Seohee now."

"Mmm." He mummbled, not taking his eyes off the paper.

"Are you going to head home soon?"

"After this chapter."

"Okay. Bye, Joon." She accidently kissed him on the cheek. "Um. Sorry. I don't know what I'm doing."

Joon pushed his glasses up. "It's ok. Have a nice dinner, okay?"

Hyemi nodded. "Don't study so hard." She almost closed the door before she opened it again. "I'll see you tomorrow morning?"

He smiled softly at her. "Of course."

She closed the door. As she walked down the hallway, she felt her pounding heart. "Oh gosh, that was awkward."

In the room, Joon touched his cheek. "Hm." It didn't make sense to him. Hyemi is dating Kai but she won't talk about it and she even kissed him on the cheek. Am I missing something?

When Hyemi arrived at the cafeteria, Seohee was already waiting outside for her. "Mimi-ah!" Seohee ran to Hyemi and hugged her. "Where's Joon?"

"He's studying for his exam tomorrow." Hyemi didn't realize that she was still blushing.

"Is something wrong?" Seohee linked arms with Hyemi and poked her cheeks.

Hyemi shook her head. "I think I'm going crazy."

Seohee caught on to what what Hyemi was talking about. "You and Kai are only going on a date. You're not actually dating." She reminded Hyemi.

"I kissed Joon on the cheeks."

Seohee just shook her head. "I don't understand you, Mimi-ah."

"I don't understand myself either." What am I doing? She asked herself. I'm supposed to be worrying about my education. Not boys. Gosh, Hyemi, why do you keep getting side tracked?

After dinner, Hyemi and Seohee put away their dishes in the back of the cafeteria. "Mimi-ah, I think I'm going to sleep over Daejung's room tonight. Is that alright?"

"Of course!" Hyemi winked at Seohee.

"But I'll walk you back to our dorm, first."

"No, I'll be fine. It's only 9 and there're still a lot of people walking around." Hyemi shooed her away.

"Are you sure?" Hyemi nodded eagerly. "Okay, I'll see you tomorrow, Mimi-ah!" Seohee waved good bye before heading over to Daejung's apartment on the other side of campus.

Now I can finally straighten up my thoughts. Hyemi sighed. The path going back to her dorm was a lot darker now that she was headed towards it. She slowly fumbled through her bag for her pepper spray, just in case. She jumped at the rustling from the bush next to her. A squirrel scurried in front of her with a nut in his mouth. After catching her breath, she continued searching for her pepper spray. The hairs on her neck stood up.

"Boo!" Hyemi screamed and swung her pencil case in their air. "Woah, woah. What are you going to do? Knock me out with your pencil case?" Kai grabbed her pencil case and put it back into her bag. "It's just me. Don't worry."

Hyemi started laughing. "You scared me half to death."

"Lucky thing you got your pencil case to protect you." Kai joked.

"I couldn't find my pepper spray." She retorted.

"Well then, I guess I was the lucky one." He smiled shyly at her. "Why are you walking back to your dorm by yourself?"

"I was grabbing dinner with Seohee but she's staying over at Daejung's house on the other side of campus."

Kai nodded and placed his arm on her shoulders. Hyemi jumped but Kai kept a firm grip on her so she wouldn't leave his side. "Is it okay if I walk you back? I don't think your pencil case will protect you against a real attacker."

She lightly punched his sides and blushed in reply. The walk was slow and peaceful. She liked being with Kai. He was always smiling and making jokes. He made her feel special and she wanted to make him feel special as well.

"My favorite activity to do?" Kai repeated the question Hyemi asked her. "I love to dance."

"What?" She exclaimed. "So do I! I won a couple of competitions before." She said proudly.

"Really?" He grinned. "So did I. It would be ironic if we were at the same competitions before. You should show me some of your moves some day."

"I'd love that." Her wide smile made him blush hard.

He gave her a light squeeze before taking his arm off of her shoulder. "Well, we're at your dorm."

She looked at her watch and saw that it was already 9pm. They met up at 8. She gasped. "Did we really take an hour to get here?!"

"Time flies when I'm with you." He leaned in slowly, watching her reaction. She blushed and tilted her head. He kissed her on the cheek, like last night. He let his lips linger on her skin for a moment before pulling away. Her heart was practically jumping out of her chest. Suddenly, she let her emotions get the best of her. She kissed him on the cheek. His eyes turned into little crescent moons from his smile. "I'll see you in class tomorrow, Hyemi-ah."

"Good night." She said shyly. Seriously, what the hell, Hyemi? She scolded herself as she entered the building and went up to her room. What happened to the whole 'focus on my studies' thing? She touched her cheeks and then her lips. She missed being in a relationship. Having someone worrying about her. Someone to worry about. Someone to spend time with and share memories with. If I keep my grades up, it would be already to get back into dating, right? Right! She smiled at the thought of having a boyfriend. I'll finish my homework due next week so that I can relax this weekend.And maybe hang out with Kai? She mental noted to herself. She pulled out her keys and opened the door. To her surprise Joon was on the couch, fast asleep on his textbook. "Oh, Joon." She slowly removed the textbook from under him. When he stirred, she held her breath until he went back to snoring. She stared at how young and cute he looked in his sleep. She sat next to him and traced his features with her finger tips. Her heart yearned for him. Her head was filled with a milion worries and she couldn't resist the temptation to kiss him on the forehead. He woke up to her kiss. "Mimi-ah?" He called her by his childhood nickname for him. He opened an eye.

She gasped and jumped back.

When he realized that he fell asleep, he sat up. "I'm sorry, I fell asleep on your couch."

"No problem." She opened up her Marketing textbook and sat next to his pile of tectbooks on the floor.

He touched the parts of his face that Hyemi traced out, wondering if he was just imagining things. He gazed at her studying before looking at the clock. "Ah! It's 9 o clock?!" He quickly stood up and started packing his bags. "I have an exam at 7am tomorrow. How am I supposed to get back to my apartment and back and study and-?" He started panicking.

"You can sleep here. Whenever you want to." She didn't look up from her textbook. She just blurted it out so she blushed at how awkward she realized it sounded. "Because your apartment is so far away and all. My dorm is closer to your classrooms anyways, so you can save a lot of time by staying here."

He fixed his messy hair and yawned. "I don't want to disturb Seohee."

"She's not coming home tonight." She flipped the page even though she hasn't read a single word yet. Joon just looked so perfect with his messy hair that she needed something to distract her. I don't like him, I like Kai. She had to remind herself.

"Oh." He laid back down on the couch. "Then may I sleep over?" He grabbed the couch pillow and hugged it.

"Mhm." She flipped another page of her textbook. Great, I'm officially not going to get any homework done.

Joon peered at her from behind the pillow. She looked cute while she was reading. After a few seconds, he remembered that he should set his alarm for tomorrow morning. He stretched out his arm to reach for his phone next to Hyemi. Hyemi saw what he was trying to get and grabbed it for him. "Here you-" Once she picked up his phone, the screen lit up to a picture of her.

"Aish." Joon yanked his phone away from her. "You weren't supposed to see that."

"Joon?"

"I don't want to talk about it." He said, upset. He unlocked his phone and set his alarm for 5:45 am. He went to his picture gallery to look for another picture because he was embarrassed.

She nodded and went back to reading. "I'm sorry for looking." He sighed at the fact that the only good pictures he had were that of Hyemi. "You don't have to change it." She said without looking up. "I don't mind."

"Well, it IS a good picture of you." Isn't she with Kai? Why is she letting me keep her picture as my background? He shook away his thoughts. He wanted to be greedy.

She smiled while still reading. "Which is why I don't mind."

He gazed at her. "Mimi-ah?"

"Hm?"

He patted the spot on the couch next to her. "Wanna come next to me?"

"Huh?" She looked up, blushing a bright red. "I-I'm doing my homework."

"No you're not." He knew.

"Yes, I am!" She defended herself.

He tossed the pillow onto the floor. "Okay, okay. But still." He pulled her to the couch. "You can still read while laying down, can't you?"

"M-mhm." She hesitantly laid down next to him, her back against his stomach. He adjusted his position so that they both fit comfortably on the couch. He wrapped his arm around her stomach and burried his face in her hair. Both of their hearts were racing but he was better at hiding it.

"Are you comfortable?" He asked her as he slowly drifted to sleep. Should I just steal her away from Kai? His thoughts were getting cloudy as he drifted back to sleep.

"Yes." She was so nervous, she couldn't concentrate on her textbook. This is so wrong. "Are you?"

He mumbled and started to snore softly. He squeezed her like a teddy bear and she shut her eyes, trying to control her crazy heart.

 

          - A/N -

We're getting further into the story so I thought I'd put up a poll for you reader-nims :) Which character are you liking more so far?