Best Date Ever Part 2

A Little Something Called Love

 *Seohee: Want me to save you now? :O

*Hyemi: Not yet... We're almost done anyways. :D

*Seohee: Okay... Just let me know when. I'm gonna punch Kai in the face when I see him.

"Who you texting?" Kai said informally to Hyemi. They were on their date at the burger place in Seoul. Hyemi was wearing her pretty pink dress and grey cardigan while Kai was just wearing shorts and a shirt. Kai was following Joon's advice religiously and the date was going terribly. He picked her up 30 minutes late. He didn't open doors for her. He didn't pull out her chair. He didn't even order for her. Kai sensed that something was off but Hyemi was too kind to say anything. He started to question the legitimacy of Joon's advice.

"Oh, just Seohee." Hyemi smiled sweetly. "Just girl stuff, you know." She took a tiny bite of her burger. She felt her stomach churn but controlled her expressions.

Kai shoved the last piece of his burger in his mouth and called for the check.

Hyemi stared at Kai. She couldn't believe how rude he was being. She let out a big huff before asking for a take out box.

Kai peered at Hyemi's angry face. She quickly looked away and forced a smile. "You like burgers?" She asked him quietly.

"Yep."

That set Hyemi off. She snapped her head at him and he jumped a little in his chair. "Yep?" She questioned him.

"Uh." The check was placed in front of Kai, saving him from an awkward conversation. He pulled out his wallet and was about to place his card when Hyemi offered to pay. Kai was about to follow Joon's last piece of advice to let her pay but used his better judgement and shook his head. "What kind of guy would I be if I let you pay?" He smiled softly at her as he handed his card to the waitress.

Hyemi's heart fluttered at the first smile he gave her the entire night. But she was still angry at how he was treating her that she continued to frown.

"You look really beautiful tonight, Hyemi-ah." Kai said sincerely. "That dress makes you look like an angel."

Hyemi looked down and played with her dress. "Thank you..."

When the waitress returned, they headed out back to Kai's car. The drive back to campus was long and awkward.

"So." Kai glanced at Hyemi quickly, keeping both hands on the wheel. Hyemi was texting away. "I heard you love burgers but you barely touched your food."

"What?" Hyemi gave him a weird expression. "Who the heck told you that I love burgers?"

"Suh- uh. I overheard a conversation." Kai rubbed his neck awkwardly. "So. You. Don't like burgers?"

"I hate burgers." She said bluntly.

"Dammit hyung." Kai finally realized that Joon really did play him like a fool. "So I'm guessing you don't like the bad boy type either?"

"I went through that phase in middle school and I am not going back."

Kai smacked his head. Hyemi looked at him, concerned. "I can't believe I listened."

"Listened to who?"

Kai parked the car and, like he would've done from the start of the date had he not listened to Joon, opened her door like the gentlemen he naturally was. He even held out his hand to help her out. "I asked someone for some advice before the date." They walked slowly back to her dorm.

"Well, you asked the absolutely wrong person." Hyemi lightly pushed Kai's head.

"I thought I asked the person who knew you the best." Kai rubbed his arm. "I trusted him wholeheartedly."

"Him?" Hyemi tilted her head.

"Suho-hyung. He told me all of this." Kai placed his hands in his pocket and kicked a rock that was near his feet. "He even picked out this outfit. He said that you would like it."

Hyemi glanced at the unironed Marvel shirt and plaid shorts. She cracked up laughing. "Who in their right mind would wear this on a first date?"

Kai chuckled. "Apparently me. I just." The loving way he gazed at her make her stop laughing in a heartbeat. "I wanted to make you fall in love with me."

She pursued her lips and tucked her hair behind her ear. She couldn't hide her blushing cheeks. "Well, you know what would make me fall in love with you?" She shyly looked at him waiting for her answer. "By just being yourself."

He smiled down at the ground. "Really?"

She nodded. "You don't need to ask for advice from anyone. Just be the awesome person I know you are."

"You think I'm awesome?" They walked up to the entrance to her dorm but they didn't go in.

"Of course." She smiled up at him signaling that she was being honest.

"I really want you to fall in love with me." Kai said bluntly, making Hyemi flustered.

"I think I already am." She muttered under her breath.

"Even after this terrible date that I just forced you into?" Kai laughed.

"Well." Hyemi laughed along. "Before this terrible date. You're the type of person that I want to get to know more about."

"I couldn't agree more." Kai slowly reached for her hands. "So, will you go on a second first date with me? This time, I promise to just be myself."

She laced her fingers through his, making him smile at the sudden gesture. "Of course. I would love to get to know the real you."

"How about next Friday? Sushi restaurant? I pick you up in a suit and we head over there at 7?" He gave her a goofy smile.

She wrinkled her nose. "Suit? No. Sushi. Yes!"

Letting his emotions get the best of him, Kai softly kissed her on the lips. "Kai..."

"Ah sorry." Kai covered his face with his hands and walked in a circle, questioning his own actions.

"HOW DARE YOU? KIM JONGIN, COME HERE YOU LITTLE!" The dorm doors opened and Seohee came screaming out with a broom in her hand. Kai sprinted a couple of feet away and Hyemi blocked Seohee from getting near Kai. "Let me at him!"

"Woah, woah! What did I do wrong?" Kai raised his hands in front of him. He was scared. Seohee? Angry and with a weapon? Not good.

"What did you do wrong?! I was texting Hyemi-ah the entire time and she was NOT happy. How dare you break my best friend's heart? I'm gonna break your face!" Seohee charged towards Kai but Hyemi got in between them.

"Seohee-ah! Calm down!" Hyemi yanked the broom away from her. "Everything's fine. It was just a misunderstanding. Kai-ah just got some bad advice." Kai nodded quickly in agreement.

Seohee straightened up her shirt. "Oh really? So I don't need to hurt him?"

Hyemi placed her hand on Seohee's shoulder. "No. Don't worry."

"Well, if that's the case." Seohee cleared . "I'm sorry for almost hitting you with a broom."

"Don't worry. I would've done the same thing if I were you." Kai placed his hand on his chest. "But you really did scare me."

"Good." Seohee threatened. "That's just a taste of what will happen if you hurt my best friend." Kai stuck out his tongue and Seohee stepped closer to him, angry, making him hide behind Hyemi. "Well, I'll just let you two get back to your conversation." Seohee held her hand out to grab the broom.

"Wait." Hyemi turned to Kai with the broom in her hand and lightly beat him up with it. After a few hits, she gave it back to Seohee.

"Hey! What's this for?" Kai rubbed the places Hyemi hit.

"That's for listening to bad advice!" Hyemi scolded.

 When Seohee disappeared back into the building, Kai quickly walked to Hyemi and gave her a big hug. Hyemi stiffened. She slowly wrapped her arms around his waist. He was skinnier than she thought. He had a manly scent that made her weak in the knees. He was nice to hug. He pulled her tighter and she did the same. Being single had it's perks but she had to admit that she missed being in a relationship. "I'm so sorry for today, Hyemi." He said into her hair. "I really did want this date to be perfect."

"I know Kai. But we still have another chance to start off right." She peered up at him and gave a big smile. "I'll be looking forward to this 'perfect date' next Friday."

They let each other go and Hyemi had that feeling where you're missing something but you just don't know what. Kai headed back to his car and kept turning around to wave at Hyemi along the way. He was so cute and Hyemi couldn't stop smiling for the rest of the night.

 

-          -          -          The next day          -          -          -

It was Saturday and Hyemi was headed to the library as usual. The library was usually empty on Saturday mornings and she liked to take advantage of the quiet time. She usually met Joon there and they would hang out the entire day but she felt as if her date with Kai might place a wedge between them. Yesterday went by so quickly and so many things needed to be clarified so she trudged into the library, determined to get some answers. Why was Joon so pushy yesterday? Why did Kai and Joon seem to be fighting over her? Why did Joon give Kai bad advice? If he likes me, he should just say he likes me. Not tell me that he thinks a girl - who I assume is me - is cute and then say that he doesn't want to date. Let alone kiss me and not make a single comment on it? How dare he.

Hyemi slammed her book on the library table, making the sleeping Joon jolt awake. "Mimi-ah?" He smiled as soon as he saw her.

"Tired?" Hyemi asked as she opened her bag to pull out her notes.

Joon rubbed his eyes and stretched his arms. "Nope, I'm wide awake."

"You have panda eyes." She pointed out the dark circles under his eyes.

"Ah." He gave a defeated smile. "Yeah. I couldn't sleep at all last night."

Hyemi looked at him with concern. Joon was an easy sleeper. "Is something wrong? Are you okay?"

He gazed into her eyes. Even when she looked away, he kept his eyes on her. Even if he lied about his feelings for Hyemi, his eyes show the truth. And the truth was he couldn't sleep a wink because he knew Hyemi and Kai were on their date. He stayed up arguing with himself about whether or not to call Hyemi. He missed her last night. "I'm fine. So how was the date?"

"Good." She looked down at her textbook.

"Where did you guys eat dinner?"

"Burgers."

Joon chuckled under his breath. "You hate burgers. The two of you have different tastes. I guess it wasn't meant to be."

"I know you fed him wrong information." Her stare was sharp.

"Busted." He shielded his face and tried to focus on the textbook.

"Joon?" He slowly looked up to meet her gaze again. "I have a question for you. Do you promise to aswer it truthfully?" He nodded. He had a feeling he knew what the question was and he was scared to answer. "Do you like me?"

Strike that, he was terrified. "Why do you ask?"

"It's just been-" She searched for a word. "Bothering me lately. I feel like I'm getting mixed signals from you."

"Oh." Was all he said.

She gestured for him to keep talking. "So?"

"So what?" He tried to play dumb.

"Never mind." She shook her head and placed her chin in her hands as she looked back down at her notes.

He saw that she was frustrated. "You know I'm not the dating type."

"I know. Neither am I." She replied without looking up.

He pointed at her with his pencil. "Okay. Now THAT bothers me."

"That makes two of us." She made a snarky comment.

"No sass." He chuckled. "But why did you go on a date with Kai if you're not the dating type? Is he special to you? Is he just incredibly attractive?"

She shrugged. "I've been lonely lately."

His mouth fell wide open. "Is that really just it?"

She crossed her legs on her chair. "Not saying I'm a but I've never NOT dated anyone throughout high school. I miss having someone to look forward to seeing everyday, making plans, going on dates, or just plain hanging out with. And Seohee convinced me to give him a chance."

He crossed his arms as she spoke. "Do we not see each other everyday? Make plans? Eat out? Hang out?" He waved his arms in the air. "Why are you still lonely if we've been doing all of this the entire time?"

"It's not the same." She huffed. "We're just friends."

He furrowed his eyebrows. "Are you planning on starting a relationship with Kai?"

"I don't know. I originally only wanted to go on a date or two but it would be fun to start something and see where it goes."

"Do you want to marry him?"

"Woah." She squinted her eyes at him. "This is just for fun, okay? That's how normal teenagers date. They're interested in someone. They date. If there's something more, then they'll go steady. If not, they'll break up."

He shook his head in disbelief. "But you know it's wrong to date someone only because you're lonely, right?"

"I know but-" She felt guilty.

"Kai is a good guy and he actually wants to start a relationship with you. He's never dated anyone before so I don't think you should be his first. You might ruin everything for him." The words came out of his mouth before he could stop it.

She glared at him. "Do you hear yourself right now? Who are you to say anything about other people's relationships? You're not exactly prince charming."

He pursed his lips. He was getting jealous and he had no way to stop himself. He stood up and started to pack. He knew that if he stayed any longer, he'll say something he'll regret.

"Joon?" She said to fill in the silence.

"And you're not the princess you think you are. You don't deserve Kai." He paused in the midst of zipping up his bag. Did I really just say that? "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean that." He looked up at her and his heart broke a little.

Her eyes were red and tears rimmed her eyes. "I didn't know you thought so badly of me."

A tear streamed down her cheek and he reached out to wipe it away. When she pushed his hand away, he muttered another sorry.

"Just leave me alone." She snarled at him.

 

 

          - A/N -

I can't believe I just made Suho a bad guy T-T Well, jealousy can do funny things to good people. Mianhe, pretty_raina1, for ruining their first date T-T I feel so bad for making this such a dramatic chapter... But it feels so good >:) Muahaha. Anywho, I hope you enjoyed the chapter~ <3 Kii-chan