Best Date Ever

A Little Something Called Love

"I actually have class after this so you guys should grab lunch together." Hyemi smiled before quickly walking into the building.

Kai and Joon shoved each other as they squeezed through the doors after her.

"What are you doing, hyung? Don't you have more important things to do?" Kai glared at Joon.

Joon hurried next to Hyemi and placed his arm around her. "How's your day so far, Mimi-ah?"

Hyemi blushed. "Um. It's fine. How was your exam?"

"Aced it." He gave her a thumbs up and winked.

Kai shoved himself in between Joon and Hyemi. "Hyung. You should really leave. We have class soon."

"I'll just join you guys."

 

This is so awkward. Hyemi peered at Kai on her left and Joon on her right. Kai was trying to focus on his notes but he had a cranky face plastered on. Joon was watching intently to the lecture but Hyemi knew his mind was elsewhere. There was a tense atmosphere amongst them and Hyemi couldn't concentrate. She fidgeted in her chair, making her eraser roll off her desk. Before she could lean down to grab it, Joon picked it up. He gave her a sweet smile as he handed it to her. His hand lingered on hers long enough to make her flustered. Kai was fuming with jealous and slyly knocked Hyemi's pencil off her desk. He picked it up and placed it on her desk. He nudged her playfully, "You're clumsy today, aren't you?"

Hyemi laughed nervously. "I guess I am." Classes ended shortly after. As soon as the professor dismissed the class, Joon helped Hyemi pack up her bag. "Oh, it's okay, Joon. You don't have to put everything away."

Joon zipped up her bag and placed it on his shoulder. "But I want to."

"T-thank you." Hyemi tugged on her bag strap. "I can carry my own bag."

He just turned to her and smiled. The three of them walked out of the building, Joon carrying their bags, Hyemi still holding onto her bag strap cutely, and Kai bursting with jealousy.

"I'll see you guys later." Hyemi tugged her bag off of Joon's shoulders.

"I'll walk you to class." Joon persisted.

"Come on, hyung. That's too much." Kai whined. "Even for you."

"Anything for Mimi-ah." Joon smiled at Hyemi.

"No, it's fine. Thank you." Hyemi just hurriedly grabbed her bag. Seeing their efforts to get her attention was making her nervous. She needed to escape.

Kai lightly touched her arm. "I'll pick you up at seven." She nodded nervously. "Wear something cute." He nudged Joon's arm. "Let's grab lunch, hyung."

Before they parted ways, Joon slung his arm over Kai's shoulders. He smirked. "Thanks again for letting me sleep over last night."

Hyemi and Kai's eyes doubled their size.

"Hey!" was all Hyemi could say before Joon dragged Kai towards the cafeteria.

"Hyung, you slept over her dorm?!" Kai asked at lightening speed.

Joon placed his finger to his lips. "We promised not to tell anyone." Kai shoved Joon's arm off of him and stomped away. Joon laughed as they grabbed their lunch. For a few minutes, they chowed down in silence. "Kai. We didn't do any-"

"Shush!" Kai said with his mouth full of chicken. "I'm angry at you."

Joon laughed. "I should be the one getting angry. The other night, I saw you and Mimi-ah kis-" Joon stopped when he realized what he was saying.

Kai stared at Joon. "You saw us?"

Joon cleared his throat and took a bite of his chicken.

"Were you stalking us?"

"No!" Joon quickly clarified. "I was just taking a walk and I happened to see you guys. You know." Joon puckered his lips cutely.

"Kiss? We didn't-" Kai stopped and smirked. "Aw hyung, you weren't supposed to see that. Hyemi told me not to tell anyone that we kissed because she's so shy. You know how she is." Kai's acting was terrible but Joon was still fooled.

"Ah, so I did see it correctly." Joon stabbed his chicken which made Kai giggled at the sight of the angry Joon. "But I'm sure things have changed since last night."

Kai's face fell. "Hyung, really. What happened last night? Did you and Hyemi do anything?"

"Let's just say that Hyemi should know how I feel about her after what happened last night." Joon cocked his eyebrow because Kai's sad expression told him that he won this competition. If it was even a competition.

"Please tell me you're lying." Kai looked down at his chicken and placed it in his mouth. "Hyung..." He swallowed his food. "Hyung, you told me that you only thought of Hyemi as a friend."

"I did?" Joon thought back. "I don't remember saying that."

"Well you did. And I trusted that you would step back since I like her." Kai stared down at his food.

At that moment, Joon felt extremely bad. Kai wasn't the type to like a lot of girls so Joon knew that Hyemi was special to Kai. But Hyemi was special to him as well. Kai expects him to be a good hyung. And a good hyung is what he is going to be. "Okay. I only slept over because I fell asleep while studying on her couch. You can trust me." Joon lied with an innocent smile. "Hyemi is all yours."

Kai's face brightened. "Really?!" Kai grabbed both of Joon's hands. "Are you serious?!"

Joon took a deep breath before nodding. "Seriously. I know you really like Hyemi and I'm being a bad hyung for trying to ruin your relationship with her."

"So does that mean you never liked Hyemi?" Kai was anxious for the answer.

Tell the truth. You like her. "No, I never liked her." What the f---, Joon? He cringed at his own lie.

Kai knew Joon lied but continued as if nothing happened. "That's a relief." Kai let go of Joon's hands. "So will you help me, hyung?"

Joon kept his composure. It's back to square one for Joon but he wasn't going to admit it. "With what?"

"Our date tonight. I don't know Hyemi very well but I want to make it perfect. I want her to fall in love with me. I know Seohee would be best to talk to but I don't have her number and it's kind of awkward talking to her because she's always teasing me about Hyemi. So, will you help me?" Kai put his palms together. "Please?" Kai sat next to Joon and hugged his arm. "Pleaaaaaaase?"

"Okay okay okay." Joon lightly pushed Kai away. "I'll give you detailed advice. So listen carefully."

Kai nodded and gave his undivided attention to Joon.

"She loves burgers. So take her out to that burger place in Seoul." Joon said seriously.

"Burgers, hyung?" Kai scowled. "Isn't that too casual? I was thinking more of a sushi restaurant."

Joon shook his finger. "She likes sushi but she loves burgers. Also, she's into the bad boy type. So don't open the door for her or pull out her chair. Oh! And she'll offer to pay for the dinner and she's rich so just let her do it. It makes her feel good about herself."

-          -          -          -          

"Oh I would hate that!" Hyemi cringed as she held out different outfits to the mirror. She spent the last hour wasing up and putting on make up. Now she was struggling on finding the perfect outfit. "No manners is a big red sign. Bad boys are so middle school. If I wanted a bad boy, I'd just date Youngmin again."

Seohee laughed at the memories. "The dark ages."

"I like it when a guy opens the door, holds out my chair, and tells me I look beautiful." Hyemi swooned at the thought.

"Kai seems like the gentlemen to do that." Seohee nodded. "But if he isn't?"

Hyemi quickly looked at Seohee. "I'll call you to pick me up and you'll rush over to save me, right?"

Seohee put her thumbs up. "Sounds like a plan!"

Hyemi and Seohee linked pinkies. Hyemi held up a deep red dress. "How does this look?"

"Isn't that a little too y?" Seohee pointed at the deep v neck cut. "Kai's y and all but can't you wait?" Seohee joked.

Hyemi lightly hit Seohee. "I don't know what to wear." She placed her hands on her hits and looked at her closet.

"Where are you guys eating?" Seohee got up and looked through Hyemi's closet.

"We didn't plan it out. I'm hoping a sushi restaurant."

"You do love sushi." Seohee confirmed. "Oh, Mimi-ah, that reminds me, do you want to grab lunch at that burger place in Seoul tomorrow? My classmates told me that it's really good."

"You know I hate burgers." Hyemi said apologetically. "It makes my stomach feel all funny."

"Ah! That's right. I forgot. Sorry." Seohee pulled out a pink dress and grey cardigan. "I never see you wear this dress anymore. I bought this for you and you said you loved it!"

Hyemi smiled as she ran her fingers along the dress. High school memories flooded into her mind. "I do love it! I wore it once on my first date with Hyunseong." A nice dinner at that five star restaurant. The lobster. The walk through the hotel garden. "I like your dress. You look like an angel." It was one of her fondest memoties from high school.

"And didn't you say that it was probably the best date you've ever been on? Maybe it'll give you good luck."

Hyemi nodded. "Hopefully." She smiled widely, imagining a perfect first date with Kai. She had high expectations. "I hope this will be the best date ever."

 

 

          - A/N -

Heehee this date will not end well. (Laughs internally as I continue onto the next chapter). I hope the characters are developing well. Joon and Hyemi are just so darn stubborn. They both can't decide whether or not to like each other. They sure do share the same need to prioritize education over dating but are both involved with others to stick to their studies. Silly college students hahaha. I hope you enjoyed the chapter!