Do I Know You?

A Little Something Called Love

'Hey, Mimi-ah <3 I just wanted to say, that I'm on the plane right now. I'll call you when I reach the John F. Kennedy International Airport. Please, take care. Don't forget to always smile. I'm sure Seohee will make sure of it ;D I'll see you soon! - Minwoo'

 

Hyemi turned off her phone after reading the text message to the third time that morning. Her and her best friend, Seohee, were unpacking their things at their dorm and Hyemi couldn't stop thinking about Minwoo. Three months have passed since their high school graduation. Two months have passed since Minwoo left to follow his dancing dream at Julliards in New York. And a month has passed since she and Minwoo decided to break up. They both decided that it would be best to not communicate too often and focus on their studies.

"Seohee-ah! I'm going to put your clothes away then we can take a look around campus, okay?" Hyemi dragged the final suitcase to Seohee's closet and started hanging up her clothes. In the middle of the suitcase was a letter from Daejung, Seohee's boyfriend. Sneaking a peak, Hyemi opened it. It just said 'I Love You'. She smiled and a tear escaped from her eyes. She missed Minwoo. She took out her phone, intended to call him but didn't when she realized that it was midnight in New York.

"Mimi-ah, you don't need to put away my clothes, I can do it myself." Seohee held Hyemi's hands. Seohee wiped away Hyemi's tears. "Come on, let's take a walk to calm you down."

 

-          -          -          -          -

"Hello, welcome to Seoul National University," the front desk lady for their dorm greeted the incoming Freshmen. Seohee and Hyemi walked to the park next to the building.

"Where do you want to go?" Seohee asked as she skipped next to Hyemi. The skies were clear, the grass was green and the wind was softly singing sweet melodies.

"Let's sit," Hyemi sat on the bench and stared up at the skies. Minwoo-ah, what are you doing right now?

"Don't think about him."

"Huh?" Hyemi turned to Seohee.

"Minwoo. Don't think about him. You're just making it worse for yourself. Everything's going to be fine."

Hyemi tried hard to hold back her tears. "I just. I can't believe I let him go."

Seohee rubbed Hyemi's back. "You guys are still close friends, right? Maybe you two can work it out in the future, after college. It's typical for couples to break up and get back together."

"What if he gets an American girlfriend?"

"Oh, please," Seohee rolled her eyes. "Why would he when he already has you? Cheer up, Mimi-ah, college is supposed to be super fun!"

Hyemi nodded and sighed. "So what's your college schedule? We were too busy unpacking that we didn't even compare." She brought up, trying to lighten up the atmosphere.

"Um, I have Astronomy, Calculus 4, Dynamics and lab, Computer Programming and lab, English, and Philosophy. I'm free after 2 on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and after 6 on Tuesday, Thursday. What about you?"

"I have Business Law, Orchestra, Statistics, and Marketing. But darn, I start at 1 and finish at 8 most days of the week."

"Aw, Mimi-ah, we have completely opposite schedules! We won't see each other even though we live togther." Seohee pouted.

Hyemi hugged her best friend. "It's alright, we just have to promise to spend quality time at night and during the weekends, okay?"

They pinky promised.

Seohee's phone rang. "Hello? Oh! Hi, Oppa! Yes, I'm with Hyemi in the park." She giggled. "You can see me? Where are you? Okay. Wait." She looked at Hyemi. "Maybe tomorrow, I want to spend the day with Mimi-ah."

Hyemi shook her head and mouthed 'no' to Seohee. "Go hang out with Daejung. I'm going to walk around."

"Are you sure?" Seohee covered the mouth part of her cell phone.

"Yes, I'll see you at dinner," Hyemi waved before walking down the flower path.

As she walked, she couldn't help but think about Minwoo. It was the right decision to break up. But I feel so lonely inside.

Hyemi walked into her classes to meet her professors and see the rooms. The college of business building was huge and even the dance practice room was air con-ed. Can this place get any better? She asked herself as she pushed open the doors to the orchestra room. "Oh... Wow..." She stared at the enormous main room with three doors leading to separate rooms and shiny instruments lined up on the wall. She ran her fingers lightly along the sides of the violas, basses, violins and cellos.

There was a cello missing.

She looked around to see if someone was practicing the cello. She peered into the first two rooms by opening their wooden doors just by a crack. No one was in the rooms. She was about to open the third door when it opened itself. "Omo!" She gasped when she almost fell back.

"Oh! I'm sorry!" The boy holding the missing cello held his arms out, ready to catch her. "Are you okay?" He looked at her with pure, sparkling eyes.

She gasped and blushed when her heart started beating quickly. He's really cute.

"I'm sorry," the boy repeated again. He furrowed his eyebrows as he observed her face. "Do I know you?"

"Huh?" Hyemi tilted her head.

"By chance, is your name Hyemi?" His wide smile made Hyemi's heart flutter.

"Who are you?" She tried to play it cool.

"Joonmyun." He placed the cello back onto the rack.

"Joonmyun?" She whispered. "Where have I heard that from?"

"We went to the same elementary school," he interrupted her thoughts.

"Really?" She thought back to when she was in elementary.

 

"Hemi," a boy mispronounced her name. "No, Hyemi," she corrected him. "Heeemi?" "Hyemi." The boy stomped his feet. "Can I just call you Mimi-ah?"

 

"Ah!" She remembered. "Joon!"

He smirked. "No one calls me that anymore."

"Well, because it was my secret nickname for you," Hyemi giggled. "Joon, I remember we used to play on the playground after recess was over."

"And we used to get in so much trouble." He added.

"Wait!" She gasped. "Aren't you born in 1991? Aren't you supposed to have graduated from college already? What are you doing here?"

He pulled out his school ID and held it up for her to read.

"Kim Joonmyun. Seoul National University. 1st year medical student." She looked at him and gasped. "You're a medical student? You got into medical school?" She cheered and gave him a big hug. "Congrats! That's amazing!"

He rubbed his neck and blushed. "Thank you."

"I remember you were smart, but not brilliant." She couldn't stop smiling. "Wow!"

"I'm surprised you remember me at all." He gestured for them to walk outside of the orchestra room. "You were really young when we met. The last time we saw each other was, what, when you were 2nd grade?" He opened the door for her.

"Well. I really liked you back then." She blushed as they took a stroll around the campus.

He nodded arrogantly. "I know."

She looked at him. "Really?! How embarrassing."

"But you know what?" He leaned closer to her to whisper in her ear. "I really liked you, too."

Her heart started thumping. "Really?"

He nodded. "But it was just puppy love so it didn't mean anything."

"Oh." She nodded, slightly hurt at his words. "So you play the cello now? What happened to your violin?" She said to change the subject.

"I can still play the violin but I took up cello and piano in middle school."

"Is it because I said that I wanted to play the cello in elementary school?" She accused him.

"Guilty..."

"Well, I took up the violin, so we should do a duet sometime!" She offered.

"The violin? Is it because I played the violin?" He then accused her. He nudged her arm playfully and she nudged him back.

She didn't know what to say so she changed the subject, "I have orchestra Monday, Wednesday, and Friday."

"Really?!" He smiled. "Me, too! I shouldn't be taking undergrad classes, but during registration, something told me to sign up for orchestra." He gestured to her. "Now I know why."

She giggled and they high fived. "Yay!" Hyemi's stomach grumbled. "Ah..."

"Are you hungry?" He chuckled.

She nodded.

"Hyemi, do you want to grab lunch? My treat." He offered.

Without a second thought, she nodded.

 

--------------------------------------------------

          - A/N -

Hello! Thank you for reading this first chapter of my third fan fiction, my first sequel! Haha, all of the support I've received from the prequel "You Know Nothing About Love" has inspired me to write a sequel. It's been two years since I wrote a fan fic chapter... It feels so nice to go back to expressing my feelings through writing! As you can see, my new bias is Suho from EXO. He's so amazing! Definitely my ideal type. So nice, smart, gorgeous, siiiiiggggh. Anywho, I hope you look forward to the next chapter!

I'm still lacking in many ways but I hope you enjoy regardless :D

~ Kii-chan <3