Boundaries

Barely breathing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

'Hi, girls,' my mother greeted us cheerily from the kitchen when EunJi and I arrived after practice. 

'Hi, Mrs.Lee,' EunJi replied, setting her back near the bottom of the stairs and walking into the kitchen. I followed her, suddenly afraid to face my mother. It was like I was seeing her for the first time - noticing the wine glass next to her on the counter as she cut vegetables. The sight of it made my chest hurt.

She picked up the glass and took a sip. 'Are you staying for dinner?'

'I'm not staying long,' EunJi told her. 'I gave SooJi a ride home, and we're just going to talk for a while before I go.'

'Oh, okay,' my mother responded. 'Chanyeol went to pick up a new battery for your car.'

'Great,' I answered in a flat tone. 'Well, we'll be upstairs.'

'Um, EunJi,' my mother called as we were about to leave the kitchen. 'It's my birthday on Saturday, and I'm having a few friends over. I thought it would be nice if you came over too, you know, for SooJi. I think we're just going to play poker and listen to music.'

'Sure, that sounds great,' EunJi agreed. 

'Really?' My mother's eyes lit up. 'I'm happy you'll be there. I really want it to be fun.'

'It will be,' EunJi assured her. 'If you want me to bring anything, or do anything to help, let me know.'

'I will,' my mother beamed. It became evident to me just how important this party was to her, and with everything that had gone on the last few days, we hadn't really talked much about it. Despite everything, all I really wanted was for her to be happy. 

'I think Sehun has a poker table we could borrow,' I added.

'That would be amazing,' she said, glowing. 'Thanks.'

'Sure,' I replied with a small smile before following EunJI up the stairs. As I entered my room, I texted, Wait til after her birthday. And don't worry about me.

I ped my jacket and tossed it on the chair at my desk while EunJi shut the door and settled on my bed. My phone beeped, and Chanyeol responded with, Okay. But I do, cant help it. My cheeks flushed with heat, and I stuffed the phone in my jacket pocket.

'Okay. So, you have to say something to him,' EunJi began before I could even sit down. 'You have to tell him that he can't hang out with her any more.'

I started to worry about what potential disasters awaited us at my mother's party. How EunJi and Sehun would react at the sight of it. Maybe she'd just get giddy drunk, like she sometimes did, and talk too loudly, spewing semi-embarrassing comments. I could live with that.

'SooJi!'

'Uh, what?' I redirected my focus. 

'The invasion of Analise,' EunJi stressed. 'What's going on with you?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter