Lifestyles

Barely breathing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

'That was quite the storm last night, wasn't it, Mary?' the radio personality chuckled, his voice forcing its way into my ears. I rolled over and hit snooze, fighting the urge to pull the covers up over my head and go back to sleep. I lay on my back and stared up at the ceiling, dreading the chill that awaited me once I flipped back the blankets.

My phone beeped. Snow Day! was displayed under EunJi's name. Good. That meant I could stay in bed until my mother turned up the heat.

Coming to get you in a few hours, appeared on my phone a moment later under Sehun's name. I responded with an affirmative, feeling much too awake to find sleep again. Footsteps fell across the unforgiving boards leading to the bathroom, and seconds later the pipes thumped and squealed with the sound of water rushing through them. 'Fine,' I huffled out loud, 'I'm getting up.'

I threw my hair up in a pile of twists on top of my head and slid on socks to protect my feet from the icy floor-boards before plodding down the stairs. Pulling a box of cereal from the cabinet, I poured myself a bowl to take into the living room. I adjusted the thermostat to a warmer temperature so I would no longer have to see my breath.

I flipped on the sports channel and started eating the cereal. The sound of the door opening and feet banging against the wood on the porch stopped me mid-bite. I peeked over to find a guy brushing snow from his jacket and shoving off his boots by the door. My heart pounded; I knew what I looked like and did not want to be seen by whoever it was entering like he belonged here. 

I watched with wide eyes as a guy with messy dark hair walked into the living room with a bowl of cereal of his own. I didn't have anything on under my long-sleeved shirt. He had a muscular build and a youthful face - making me question exactly who he was. He didn't look that much older than Luhan. 

'Hey,' he greeted me with a nod, sitting next to me on the couch like he'd known me for years.

'I'm Jae-Hwa,' he offered before shovelling a mound of cereal into his mouth, the milk dribbling down his chin. He w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter