Intensity

Barely breathing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Text me as soon as you get home. I want to hear all about him! EunJi sent as I pulled into the parking lot.

I called my mother to make sure she was at the restaurant before I went inside. She picked up on the third ring. 

'Hi, SooJi-ah,' she answered. 'Are you there?'

'There?' I questioned in alarm. 'You mean you're not here yet?' 

'Um, no,' she faltered. 'I'm still at work.'

'What?' I demanded, panic beginning to take over. 'So what am I supposed to do?'

'Start without me,' she suggested. 'It will give you some time to talk without me there, you know, to get to know each other.'

I didn't respond. I sat in the car with my mouth open, shaking my head. 

'Please,' she begged. 'You can do this.'

'Uh huh.' I stared at the large glass windows, wondering which one of the people in there was waiting for me. 'Does he know you're late?'

'I just talked to him. I won't be too much longer, I promise. Just take a deep breath; you can get through this.'

The fact that she understood my anxiety wasn't at all comforting. It only gave me another reason to panic. 

'Please,' she begged. 

I filled my lungs with air and blew out quickly. 'Okay.'

'Thank you, thank you, thank you!' she exclaimed joyously.

'Hurry.'

'As fast as I can,' she promised.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter