Waiting For Friday

Barely breathing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

'Hey!' I heard when I opened the door that night. 'So happy you won!' I found my mother on the couch, curled up with a wine glass in her hand, still in her work clothes. 

'Hi,' I responded solemnly, dropping my things by the stairs. 

'That's an excited face,' she noted sarcastically, leaning forward to pick up the wine bottle and empty it into her glass. 'Everything okay?'

'Yeah,' I replied unconvincingly. I wasn't up for talking about seeing Analise by Sehun's side after the game tonight, and how miserable I was that he'd offered to drive her home when I was hoping to spend some time with him. I didn't want to feel this way.... jealous. And there wasn't any reason I should. But the rationale didn't relieve the slitering in my stomach every time she looked up at him with her big Bambi eyes. So, I deflected her attention. 'How are you doing?'

My mother laughed humourlessly. 'I'm ing great.'

She couldn't see my face as I closed my eyes and ground my teeth, picking up the intonation in her voice. She was drunk.

Instead of going to my room to work on my English paper as I had intended, I joined her on the couch, hoping to comfort her enough so she wouldn't keep drinking. 

'It was my highest scoring game,' I told her, trying to assess just how far over the edge she was. Her head swivelled towards me, rocking slightly. She smiled lazily, the effort pushing her eyes into slits. She was pretty far gone. 

'That's awesome, SooJi,' She took a long sip of her wine, keeping her eyes closed for a moment after she'd removed the glass. 

'Sorry about this,' she gestured to herself. 'I didn't have dinner, so it got to me.'

I nodded, wanting to take the wine glass out of her han

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter