Clueless Joon Hee

And They Call Me "Miss Happy"

Gayageum Girl of the Windflower was a fan of Fra Lippo Lippi, and they decided to practice a certain song.

"That song fits Gyu Won's breakup scene, don't you think?" she asked her friends.

"Agree," Bo Woon said.

"If we change the song, I am sure the director will get angry," Gyu Won told them.

"Ani, I will just suggest to have this song inserted after your song battle with Joon Hee," Flute Girl said. "I suggest that we insert it on The Day."

"I will give you a hint," Gyu Won said.

"And Bo Woon will sing," Flute Girl suggested.

"Mwo????" Bo Woon asked in dismay. "But I cannot sing."

"Cannot or don't wanna?" Gayageum Girl .

They told Seok Hyun about it, and he was far from angry.

"Nice touch to it," he said.

Indeed, during the rehearsal, they practiced that scene, but the director did not allow the orchestra to play the song. Even Shin was astonished that he had never seen such a scene.

**********

The Day came.

Tae Joon and the wife of the Chairman went to see the Winter Musical to be able to "cheat" for their own musical production. They were really annoyed that Seok Hyun's musical was better much prepared.

Then, the show started. All the audience saw was a dark stage.

"I am the eldest, and I was always taught to be considerate of my younger sister," Hee Joo's voice-over was heard. "And I always give in. I am twenty, and eight years older than she is."

Then the lights turned up, and the spotlight was focused on Hee Joo in the center of the stage.

"And now, my Eomma and my Appa are planning my own marriage," she said. "Should I give in?"

The audience watched as the story unfolded before their eyes.

The name of the girl was Hye Mi, and she was as beautiful as her name implied. Even her intelligence was admired by all the men in her university, and her riches made her the envy and topic of gossip among her female schoolmates. And one day, she was walking along with a suitor (Bassist Guy) when her nanny (one of Sa Rang's friends) came to her. Her parents were waiting back home, with a news that they wanted to share to her. The suitor looked at the ominous look on the nanny's face. He bowed to Hye Mi, and both said goodbye to each other. Hye Mi was a bit sad, for she had started to like the guy.

When she came home, her parents (Sa Rang and Soo Myung) were seated on the couch in front of another set of parents. Appa told her that he and his  business partner (Guitar Guy, who was recruited by late notice), were coming to an agreement to have their children bound together in marriage. Hye Mi let go of her books, and she ran to her room. But it was doomed to come to pass, for the parents were adamant. In her room, Hye Mi was crying her heart out.

For all the plans, however, the business partner's son and Hye Mi never met. They only talked through the cellphone, and she found the rich young man to be arrogant and narcissistic. Then came the scene in the park, when Rich Young Man (Ki Young) told her that such an arrangement was all right with him, for money is more important than love. Hye Mi cut the call, and began to sing her woes of love.

From the backstage, good thing, Joon Hee did not misbehave.

"I will forget that my heart ever existed, and that it was never meant to love someone at all," Hee Joo sang.

From the backstage, Shin was listening. He remembered the time when he was pining for Gyu Won when he broke up with her. All he had ever written were sad, mopey, pathetic love songs for her, denying the fact that he was hurt, and yet, trying to show that he indeed was hurt. When he heard Hee Joo sang that line, he began to shed tears. The memories of those sad times were coming back to him, but he felt comforted when Gyu Won went behind his back and hugged him. She had read those lines too when Seok Hyun had her read the songs. He turned to look at her, and held her hand. He was thankful that she could already walk after that free fall incident when her heels broke. And he was thankful that  he had her.

"As much as I forget my own heart, I will start giving in to them," Hee Joo sang again.

And so, Hye Mi decided to meet the young man. In the restaurant, they met for the first time. Hye Mi got annoyed when she saw that the rich, young, and arrogant man turned out to be a shy guy. When they were alone in the balcony, he professed that his parents never showed him her picture at all, so he acted all aloof and arrogant so that his prospective girlfriend will hate him to the bones. When they finally met that night, he recognized her as the campus sweetheart whom every guy, including him, had fallen in love with. He could not believe that the girl he fantasized would become his girlfriend. She also confessed that even if she was the campus sweetheart, the looks and the efforts of the guys did not go unnoticed. That was one reason why she went out on a date with the suitor, but because of the bad news, she had to tell the suitor to give up on her. And as for him, he was her secret crush that she could not approach because he was elusive and was hanging out with the rich untouchables in campus. They confessed having feelings for each other, and they decided to get together being sweethearts. The plan that had made them heartbroken turned out to be a blessing in disguise after all, and both of them got married happily after a few years.

"If I have not met him, I will not know that he was the guy that I had been in love with," Hye Mi (Hee Joo) concluded. "And to my dear sister, I hope you will be happy as I am when you grow older."

The lights died down, and the second part of the story began.

"I am Hyun Ah," was Gyu Won's voice-over. "I saw how my older sister fell in love, and I want to fall in love happily too."

The spotlight was and was focused on Gyu Won, who was standing on the left side of the stage.

The younger sister, Hyun Ah (Gyu Won), was twenty years old when she had a taste of her first love. She and her boyfriend (Joon Hee) were very happy with each other. However, some of her friends told her that he was a playboy, but she would not believe because she believed in him more. Even her parents knew of the guy's reputation, but she would not heed. One day, Hyun Ah was passing along the hallway to the cafeteria when Jae Hyuk (Joon Hee) saw her, and he hid his other girlfriend (Sa Rang's other friend). Of course, when Hyun Ah saw him, he was alone. She totally believed in his lies, and they often sang songs of love together, dancing as happily as they could, just like the dance Gyu Won and Shin had one night.

"I have all things that a girl could ever wish for," Hyun Ah said. "Money, brains, looks, the attention of all the guys, and the love of the guy who loves me dearly."

Everyday, she fantasized about marrying Jae Hyuk and living happily with him for the rest of her life, just as her sister Hye Mi was happily married to the Rich Young Man. Her friends only shook their heads, and even warned her not to blame them in case something goes wrong.

"But I will follow my heart, because I know that he loves me," Hyun Ah said.

Backstage, Shin was looking at Gyu Won proudly. He wrote that song when both of them got reunited, and he was writing that with conviction that he would follow his heart, and not even Jung Hyun could make him and Gyu Won apart. Halabeoji once said that he looked like Shin in his younger days. Who would not want a grandson-in-law like that?

Halabeoji and Appa were in the audience, and the old patriarch was mumbling again. Pansori was much, much better than some opera songs, and he grumbled that Gyu Won should have been more serious with her gayageum. Even Jung Hyun was pouting and complaining at how Gyu Won looked bad with her outfit.

"She could not even sing a tune," she said bitterly, but Ji Young scolded her daughter for acting all bratty.

Back at the stage, Hyun Ah was walking in the rose garden when she saw Jae Hyuk kissing his girlfriend outside the gates of the manor. She hid behind the pillar and spied, not being able to believe that her lover backstabbed her. She confronted the two and grabbed the other girl by the hair. Since she was rich and powerful, the other girl ran away in panic.

She confronted Jae Hyuk, and asked if he still loved her. He mockingly told her that there was nothing in her to be loved except for her money. He only wanted her money, and the person he ever loved was the girl she sent away. Cruel were his actions, for he broke up with her. Hyun Ah started shedding some tears.

"What is there to live for, if I have thought that you love me, when you are only leaving me for another?" Hyun Ah asked in tears.

"Never was there a time when you were mine, and never in my life did I actually love you," Jae Hyuk sang.

"So, you never really loved me?"

"I once thought that I loved you, and I thought that I enjoyed being with you," he replied. "But it seems that I just wanted to play around and be with another girl, and leave you unaware. I know that you will be all right, right?"

She slapped him and went away from him, going to the direction where the Windflower girls were situated. She lifted up her skirt to the side as she walked away, like the way princesses lift their skirts when they bobbed curtsies.

"Goodbye," she said in tears. "Mianhae, Hye Mi-eonni, for my own love life is a great tragedy..."

Then, the lights dimmed, and the spotlight turned to the Windflower girls, just the way they planned with the director. The lifting of the skirt was the cue that Gyu Won had for the crew to signal them to get ready for the lights to be out. Flute Girl played a tune, Gayageum Girl followed, and Bo Woon began to sing while playing her erhu.

 

How could you come with me
When you knew all along that you had to go?
How could you watch me sleep
So close to you
Pretendin' not to know?

 

Shin was shocked, because the director did not tell him about it.

"I can still say that it is good," he thought.


How could you memorize my name
And forget who I am?
How could you think
You're still the same
Believing I can?

It's too late to start pretending
It's too late for a new beginning
Later than the sunset
Later that the rain
Later than never to love you again

How could you ask for more
With an innocent smile
Trusting me to stay?
How could you close the door
And leave me here
Supposing I'm OK?
How could you break down
My disguise
And uncover my fears?
How could you look into my eyes
Ignoring my tears?

It's too late to start pretending
It's too late for a new beginning
Later that the sunset
Later than the rain
Later than never to love you again...

 

Bo Woon was shedding her tears as she sang the song while looking at Joon Hee from the dim part of the stage. She could not make out what he was feeling or how he looked like, but she did her best to sing out the song so he would feel how she was feeling whenever she was all right and he was hanging out with Hee Joo. She wanted to tell him that even if he came to rescue her, but in her happy moments, he took her for granted.

After the song, the stage lights dimmed, and the crowd clapped and gave them standing ovations. Seok Hyun was very proud of his cast that he had them come up to the stage.

Tae Joon and the Chairman's wife were very upset. They could not bring about such beautiful production, as their own, which will be due in two weeks, was half-baked, and Hee Joo's sister, Myung Joo, was still a bit chubby. The Madame was very much displeased that her own younger daughter would star as the main lead in the school production, but the results were far from being satisfactory.

***********

Bo Woon went backstage with the rest of the Windflower when Joon Hee came to her, feeling so happy.

"Eonni, I have finally heard you sing," he remarked in glee. "And your acting was very good."

"Acting?" Gayageum Girl asked.

"Ne, her tears moved me to tears also," he replied.

Bo Woon was speechless because he didn't get it. He hugged her tight as he congratulated her.

"You're the best there, Eonni," he said.

She was not happy, so she slowly pushed him aside and ran outside the door.

"What did I do?" Joon Hee innocently asked them.

"You better go and talk to her," Flute Girl said, as she and Gayageum Girl knew why Bo Woon was acting that way.

Joon Hee felt a bit disturbed and ran out to follow Bo Woon.

"Somehow I felt guilty having suggested that song," Gayageum Girl told her friend.

"I also felt guilty making her sing it," Flute Girl replied.

"But I guess it is one way Bo Woon could silently confess to Joon Hee," Gayageum Girl remarked.

Flute Girl nodded and sighed. "If only he weren't so dense...."