First Gifts

First Love

Chapter 15

 

 

 

 

 

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Hana, happy birthday to you!"

 

Hana beamed at us and blew out the candles in one go. She was seventeen at last.

 

We applauded and congratulated her. Baekhyun and his entire clique had showed up. He was recovering slowly but surely.

 

"It's gift opening time!" Her mother cooed. She led us into the living room where all the presents were being stored.

 

"Pick one, dear. Which one do you want to open first?"

 

Hana selected a generic green bag. She read the tag.

 

"From Junmyeon," she said.

 

Hana tore open the wrapping paper to reveal chocolates. Her favourite kind.

 

"Woah! How did you know?”

 

“I asked your mother. I wanted to make sure that you liked your present.”

 

“Aw, thank you, Junmyeon! You’re so thoughtful!”

 

Hana hugged him in gratitude. From the corner of my eye, I could see Sehun tense up. He clenched his jaw and averted his gaze from Hana and Junmyeon. Baekhyun chuckled beside me.

 

“Somebody’s jealous,” he whispered into my ear.

 

It was my turn to tense up. His breath was hot against my neck. I laughed a little, forcing myself to relax.

 

“Look’s like someone’s even a bigger idiot than you,” I whispered back.

 

“Maybe he can’t help it. Jealousy doesn’t necessarily suggest idiocy.”

 

I watched him thoughtfully. Perhaps he liked Hana a lot more than I had originally assumed.

 

Everyone’s presents topped each other. Kyungsoo got her her favourite flowers; Chanyeol, the latest album of her favourite band; Jongin, a plushie of her favourite animal. Everything was personal.

 

By then, there were only two presents remaining. One from Baekhyun and I (we ended up purchasing it together when I discovered I was short of money), and one from Sehun.

 

She picked up the present from Baekhyun and I, rattling the tiny box. It was the size or her palm.

 

“Hm, I wonder what it could be?”

 

She opened it, and she gasped.

 

“Oh my god, it’s so pretty! How much did it cost you?”

 

She regarded the Tiffany’s necklace with shining eyes.

 

“A lot,” I said, “I had to save for six months, and it wasn’t even enough.”

 

“It’s true, I paid half,” Baekhyun added.

 

“Oh you guys! Thank you so much!”

 

Hana enveloped us into a bear hug, pecking us both on the cheek. For a split second, I was irritated. Was kissing Baekhyun really necessary?

 

I grew more irritated when Baekhyun laughed.

 

“No problem, Hana. You’re great.”

 

I rolled my eyes, and they met Sehun’s. The look in his eyes mirrored mine. Was he feeling the same thing?

 

“What’s wrong, Myunghee? You look a little pissed,” he smirked.

 

“Shut up!” I snarled.

 

Baekhyun looked down at me, a mischievous smile playing upon his lips.

 

“Are you perhaps,” he leaned close, so only I could hear, “jealous?”

 

“In your dreams!” I shrieked, pulling away at the speed of light.

 

Hana paid minimal attention to our bickering. Instead, she picked up and examined the final gift. It was a little pastel box with an intricate carvings. By the way Hana looked at it, I could tell she liked it a lot.

 

Wordlessly, she lifted the lid. Her lips parted in awe. Her eyes were wide. She was silent, we all were. It played Hana’s favourite ballad. It had been her favourite for as long as I could recall. Hana used to such a romantic.

 

“One day,” she had said, sometime in the seventh grade, “someone will serenade me with that song, and then I’ll know that he’s my true love.”

 

Our eyes were transfixed on the tiny ballerina that spun in the middle. It donned a delicate fabric dress. The interior of the box was as detailed as the exterior.

 

“A time for us,” she breathed..

 

In that moment, there was nothing in the world except for Hana’s music box.

 

“Oh my god” she whispered, before setting it down, still open, upon her coffee table. She strode over to Sehun, and in a matter of seconds, had her arms wrapped around his neck and was kissing him.

 

Everyone gaped at them; torn between not wanting to ruin the moment and hooting in congratulations. Sehun had finally gotten his girl, and Hana had acquired the boy of her dreams.

 

“Why do things like this not happen to me?” I murmured to myself.

 

“Because you don’t really care about love,” Baekhyun answered.

 

. I didn’t intend for him to hear.

 

“Love is…” I paused, searching for a word, “it’s kind of bothersome. But it’s nice.”

 

I looked over at Hana and Sehun. He had his arm around her waist, and she was giggling girlishly.


“It’s nice to have somebody to love.”

 

Hana's Music Box