Remember. 기억해줘.

My Never-Changing Heart: 변하지 않는 내 마음

~

기억해줘 네 서랍속에

기억해줘 네 지갑속에

내가 있던 흔적들을

하나도 빠짐없이 새겨줘

Remember the traces that I left,

in your drawer, in your wallet,

Remember them without leaving anything out

~

 

 

“Guess what today is!” Howon barged into Somi’s room and jumped on her bed, shaking his best friend. “Wake up, sleepyhead!”

 

 

Somi looked at the time and groaned.

 

 

“Ugh, shut up and go away!” Somi shoved Howon off the bed, and he landed on his .

 

 

“Wow, your best friend stayed up late last night to cook for you, and woke up early to celebrate your 18th birthday with you, and you tell him to go away?” Howon glared at Somi, stood up, and pulled open the curtains.

 

 

“IT BURNS!” Somi hissed as she was hit with sunlight. She quickly went under her blanket and was still.

 

 

“Come on! Get up! I have a fun day planned for us,” Howon patted the lump on the bed that was Somi.

 

 

“Ugh, just give me fifteen minutes. It’s like 6:00 am! I want to sleep in on my birthday,”

 

 

“Fine, I’ll wait right here,” Howon plopped himself on the floor, pulled out his earbuds, and began to listen to music. He went through about five songs, and then stood up again.

 

 

“Somi-ah! It’s been fifteen minutes,” Howon pulled Somi’s blanket off the bed.

 

 

“You are so annoying!” Somi’s eyes were still closed and she reached out for her blanket, which wasn’t there.

 

 

“Here, wear this,” Howon threw Somi a sweatshirt and jean shorts.

 

 

Somi sat up and looked at the sweatshirt. It was purple, and it matched the one Howon was wearing.

 

 

“What’s this?” she laughed, picking it up. “Are we like a couple or something now?”

 

 

“No! Of course not. These are friendship sweatshirts!” Howon laughed.

 

 

“Friendship sweatshirts? Who even does this kind of stuff?”

 

 

“I do. Now change! Hurry~” Howon whined, as he walked out of Somi’s room and closed the door behind him.

 

 

Somi laughed at her best friend’s childish behavior and quickly changed into the ‘friendship sweatshirt’ that he gave her, along with her jean shorts.

 

 

“Happy birthday to my favorite sister!” Sungyeol looked up from his cup of coffee. 

 

 

“I’m your only sister,” Somi laughed, reaching out to her old brother and hugging him.

 

 

“Yeah, exactly!” Sungyeol laughed his dolphin-like laugh. “Anyways, I actually forgot it was your birthday today, but then your boyfriend came over with seaweed soup this morning.” (*A/N: In Korea, it’s a tradition to eat seaweed soup on your birthday.)

 

 

“He’s not my boyfriend!” Somi groaned and Howon just laughed, setting a bowl of seaweed soup and rice in front of her.

 

 

“Hey guys!” Myungsoo poked his head into the house. “What’s up?”

 

 

“MYUNGGIE!” Sungyeol got up out of his seat and hugged his friend.

 

 

“Ew, gross,” Somi and Howon laughed at Myungsoo, who pushed Sungyeol off him with a disgusted look on his face, and Sungyeol just cracked up.

 

 

“Here you go,” Myungsoo handed a small box to Somi with a wink. She opened it and grinned at him.

 

 

It was a small, pretty charm bracelet.

 

 

“Happy birthday! I designed it myself,” Myungsoo said proudly. “Every charm represents someone! See, this coffee mug charm represents Sungyeol, this calculator represents me, and that soccer ball represents Howon.”

 

 

“It’s really pretty,” Somi remarked, as she slipped it onto her right wrist. “Thank you, L oppa!”

 

 

“So, what are you going to do today?” Sungyeol asked Somi.

 

 

“I dunno, he planned everything. I was just gonna stay home and get some sleep today, but someone had to wake me up,” Somi looked at Howon, who just cheekily grinned back.

 

 

“Well, have fun! Even though it’s a Saturday, Sungyeol and I have special lectures to attend! See you tonight, we’ll cut your birthday cake!” Myungsoo said, while ushering Sungyeol out of the apartment.

 

 

Somi finished up her seaweed soup, and looked up at Howon, who was texting on his phone.

 

 

“I’m ready to go!” she declared, as she brought her bowl over to the sink and pulled on her shoes.

 

 

“Yay! Let’s go!” Howon exclaimed, as they headed out the door.

 

 

~~~

 

 

“Scaredy cat!” Somi stuck her tongue out at Howon.

 

 

“I am not scared,” he rolled his eyes.

 

 

“Oh yeah? Then why don’t you want to ride that?” Somi pointed to the rollercoaster in front of them.

 

 

Howon’s plan for Somi’s birthday was to take her out to an amusement park. Somi had always talked about how she had wanted to go play at the new amusement park nearby, but since both Somi and Howon had always been so busy studying, they never had any time.

 

 

Howon was willing to set aside his fear of rollercoasters for his best friend’s birthday. Or at least, that’s what he thought.

 

 

But now that he was standing in front of the biggest rollercoaster in Jeonju, he was starting to change his mind.

 

 

“Are you sure you want to ride this? We just ate lunch,” Howon pointed out.

 

 

“Yeah, we ate like half an hour ago! Anyways, look, there are people eating in line!” Somi pointed out.

 

 

“Okay.. I guess I’ll ride it,” Howon said reluctantly. “It’s your birthday, after all.”

 

 

“Yay!” Somi grabbed Howon’s arm, and dragged him into the line. 

 

 

“So, we have only half an hour until my soccer practice. Are you gonna come watch?” Howon asked Somi.

 

 

“Sorry! But I promised Woohyun that I would meet him after this!” Somi told Howon, who narrowed his eyes.

 

 

The truth was, Woohyun had texted Somi the day before, asking if she could spend a few hours of her birthday with him. She was surprised because she wasn’t really close to him, but she obliged anyways. She knew that something was up with him, especially after he took her locket.

 

 

Somi also remembered Sunggyu’s words to her, that day he disappeared. 

 

 

“When you turn 18.. go to.. go to..”

 

 

He never finished what he was going to say, and Somi thought that Woohyun might know something. That’s why she agreed to meet with him.

 

 

“Move up!” Howon snapped Somi out of her thoughts, as the line moved forward. “What does Woohyun want with you anyways? I saw his text on your phone, that night you were out with Myungsoo. He said he wanted to talk, right?”

 

 

“Oh, that? That was just about the textbook that he borrowed from me,” Somi lied.

 

 

“What textbook?” Howon raised his eyebrows, not buying it.

 

 

“Umm.. You know, the one we’re reading in history. The Joseon Era? His class had a test..” Somi carried out the lie.

 

 

“Oh.. Okay,” Howon said, sighing. 

 

 

He knew Somi was lying because he had already lent Woohyun his history textbook. 

 

 

“Why would she hide things from me.. I thought we could trust each other,” Howon thought to himself, frowning.

 

 

“We’re here!” Somi grinned at Howon groaned. 

 

 

Howon looked at a little girl who got off the ride. She was crying. He bit his lip, feeling nervous.

 

 

“Scared?” Somi smirked.

 

 

“No!” Howon said quickly. He was trying to look tough, and brave.

 

 

“What are you waiting for? Get on!” Somi boarded the cart and strapped on her seatbelt. Howon was trying to buckle in his seatbelt, but it was stuck.

 

 

“AHJUSSHI! EXCUSE ME!” he waved his hands frantically. “MY SEATBELT WON’T GO IN!”

 

 

“Oh, it’s because this young lady beside you is sitting on it,” the worker said.

 

 

Somi laughed as Howon glared at her and quickly strapped in his seatbelt. He pulled on it and made sure that it was super tight.

 

 

“Scared?” Somi asked again.

 

 

“Nope,” Howon sheepishly grinned.

 

 

3…

 

2..

 

1.

 

 

The rollercoaster was off! It twisted from side to side and Somi screamed. Howon’s face began to turn white as the cart slowed down and started to go upwards.

 

 

The cart went higher and higher, until it was at the very top. Howon looked down. They were so high up that the cars looked like ants. He glanced over at Somi and she looked excited, as if she was waiting for something great to happen.

 

 

Howon was so scared, he didn’t even care about trying to act brave anymore. He grabbed Somi’s hand as the rollercoaster tipped over the edge.

 

 

“AAAH! Save me, umma!” he screamed, his Busan satoori coming out. He felt like his stomach was going to come out of his mouth. He dug his nails into Somi’s skin.

 

 

After the gigantic drop, the rollercoaster made some more jumps, sharp twists and turns, and finally came to a stop. Howon was still gripping onto Somi’s hand, and he felt like he was going to throw up.

 

 

He quickly unbuckled his seatbelt and hopped off the rollercoaster, exiting as soon as possible.

 

 

Somi laughed and followed behind him.

 


“Was it that scary? It was fun!”

 

 

“No.. It wasn’t fun, it was scary,” Howon admitted.

 

 

“Stop trying to act brave Howon! AAH! Save me, umma!” Somi imitated his satoori. “And look what you did!”

 

 

Somi held up her left hand and Howon gulped. Her hand was covered in his nail marks, because he was holding on too hard.

 

 

“Sorry..” Howon felt guilty.

 

 

“It’s alright! I’m touched that you rode the rollercoaster for me,” Somi grinned at him.

 

 

“Well it’s your birthday, and I’m your best friend,” Howon said. “Of course I would ride it for you!”

 

 

Somi laughed and pulled out her phone.

 

 

“Look at the time! You only have fifteen minutes to go home and change, and then meet at soccer practice! You don’t wanna be late for it, do you?” Somi asked Howon.

 

 

“Oh.. It’s okay.. I want to walk my best friend home, especially on her birthday,” Howon protested.

 

 

“No, you need to run to your house, change, and head to school! It’s your first practice. You know how important first impressions are,” Somi said. 

 

 

“Are you sure you can walk home alone?” Howon worried. 

 

 

“It’s still bright out anyways,” Somi said. “I can always call Woohyun.”

 

 

“Nam Woohyun..” Howon thought bitterly. He still didn’t like the idea of you and Woohyun keeping secrets from him.

 

 

“Alright then. Wish me luck! Happy birthday, best friend!” Howon said, running off. 

 

 

Somi smiled as she watched him run away, and whipped out her phone to call Woohyun. He picked up on the second ring.

 

 

“Hey Somi, wanna meet up now?”

 

 

“Yup! Where do you wanna meet?” Somi asked Woohyun.

 

 

“Where are you?” Woohyun asked.

 

 

“I’m actually at the amusement park on the other side of town. But I’ll be walking home, so do you wanna meet up in front of our apartment building?” Somi suggested.

 

 

“Nah, I’ll meet you at the entrance of the amusement park. I’ll be there in a few minutes!” Woohyun hung up.

 

 

~~~

 

Somi was sitting on a bench, waiting for Woohyun. She was listening to music and was slowly drifting off, until she heard his voice.

 

 

“Somi!” Sunggyu’s voice called.

 

 

She sat up and looked ahead, and saw Sunggyu coming towards her with a tandem bicycle.

 

 

“This can’t be real..” she thought. She blinked and opened her eyes again.

 

 

To her disappointment, it was Woohyun. She had just imagined Sunggyu being there.

 

 

“Hey! Look what I have!” Woohyun gestured to the tandem bicycle that he was rolling over to Somi with.

 

 

“Ooh! I haven’t rode one of these in a while!” Somi was about to hop on the bicycle, and then stopped for a second.

 

 

She noticed something very familiar about the bicycle. The intials, “KSG” were engraved between the handlebars in the front of the bike.

 

 

“Isn’t this..?” Somi asked Woohyun.

 

 

“Sunggyu hyung’s? Yeah,” Woohyun responded. “He used to always ride it with his little sister.”

 

 

“Little sister?” Somi asked Woohyun, raising her eyebrows. “I didn’t know that Sunggyu had a little sister.”

 

 

“Oh! Well he does! Her name is Kim Jinhee, and she goes to our school. I used to like her,” Woohyun perkily replied.

 

 

“WHAT?! AND YOU DIDN’T TELL ME?!” Somi exclaimed.

 

 

“You never asked,” Woohyun clicked his tongue and handed Somi a helmet. 

 

 

“Then doesn’t she know anything about Sunggyu’s whereabouts?” Somi questioned.

 

 

“Nope. She doesn’t. Or if she does, she’s not telling me,” Woohyun sighed. “She told me to stay out of other people’s business. Anyways, hop on!” 

 

 

They pedaled quietly, and Woohyun couldn’t stand the silence anymore.

 

 

“Did you really love hyung?” Woohyun asked Somi.

 

 

“We’ve only met a few times, and you’re asking me these types of questions?” Somi awkwardly laughed.

 

 

“Did he tell you anything about your 18th birthday?” Woohyun asked.

 

 

“Why, did he tell you something about it?” Somi asked Woohyun.

 

 

“Yup.”

 

 

“He told me to go to.. well he never really finished his sentence. But he told me to go to a certain place when I turned 18. I never really figured out where to go, though. I kind of forgot about it,” Somi admitted.

 

 

“Does the park near our apartment hold any special meanings for you?” Woohyun asked.

 

 

“Yeah. That’s where we first met,” Somi told him.

 

 

“Ohh, I see. Well, he told me something too. Do you know the locket he gave you?” Woohyun asked Somi.

 

 

“What about it?” she asked.

 

 

“Do you have the key? I need to open something, and I think your key will open it,” Woohyun told her the truth. “That’s why I borrowed your locket. To see if its keyhole would match the keyhole of the thing that I’m trying to open.”

 

 

“Of course I have the key. It’s in my dresser right now!” Somi said.

 

 

“Sunggyu actually left you behind this box. I don’t know what’s in it, but I’m guessing it’s something important and maybe even dangerous because he wanted you to open it when you turned 18,” Woohyun told Somi.

 

 

“I have the box in my room right now. I couldn’t leave it there for years, because I feared that it could be dug up and taken by someone else. But I haven’t opened it yet, I need the key to do that,” Woohyun added.

 

 

“Should we open it?” Somi was really curious now.

 

 

“Yeah, we should,” Woohyun said as he pulled the bike up in front of the apartment. “Go get your key and come over.”

 

 

So Somi hurried to her apartment and grabbed her key. She quickly headed over to Woohyun’s place, and knocked on the door.

 

 

“The door is open!” he said, and Somi came into the apartment, and followed Woohyun’s voice to his room. She saw the box sitting on his desk, and her heart started to thump.

 

 

“Before we open that, here’s your birthday present. I know it’s not much, but I don’t have  lots of money right now..” Woohyun said, handing Somi a small laminated piece of paper.

 

 

She looked at it. It was a picture of Woohyun and Sunggyu. Woohyun looked around 9 years old, and Sunggyu looked about 12. Sunggyu was putting his left hand on Woohyun’s shoulder, his right hand forming a V. Woohyun was caught off-guard, looking to the side, while Sunggyu stared straight at the camera and smiled. Sunggyu was also wearing a white hat. The hat that Somi had once given to him.

 

 

Somi felt sad. She remembered picking out the hat for Sunggyu, and then when he finally wore it, she told him that he didn’t look good in it. But he persisted on wearing it, saying that it was from her so it was special.

 

 

“It’s.. it’s the last thing I have to remind me of what he looked like. But I’ll give it to you,” Woohyun warmly smiled at Somi.

 

 

“No.. It’s not right. I know that you’ve missed him so much too,” Somi said, handing the photo back to Woohyun.

 

 

“Don’t worry, I still have this letter from him,” Woohyun pulled a piece of paper out of his drawer.

 

 

“Are you sure?” Somi held the photo in her hand.

 

 

“Yeah,” said Woohyun.

 

 

Somi really wanted to read the letter that Sunggyu had left behind for Woohyun, but she decided that she should respect Woohyun’s privacy. Without a word, she handed him the key to her locket.

 

 

With shaking hands, Woohyun pushed the key into the keyhole and turned it.

 

 

Click. It unlocked.

 

 

“Wanna open it?” Woohyun handed the box over to Somi.

 

 

“You do it,” Somi was scared.

 

 

Woohyun slowly raised the lid of the box.

 

 

The two of them peered inside to see its contents.

 

 

It was empty.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

*Author’s Note: OMG DID YOU GUYS SEE INFINITE’S COMEBACK?! Everyone looked so good.. and I wrote this chapter while staying up waiting for their showcase. THE CHOREOGRAPHY IS SO GOOD AND I LOVE HOW GYU IS STANDING IN THE MIDDLE! I can’t wait for them to go on music shows.. ^^ I love the song 마주보며 서 있어 on the album..