I like you. 니가 좋다.

My Never-Changing Heart: 변하지 않는 내 마음

~

난.. 오 오 난.. 니가 좋다.

I.. oh, oh.. I like you.

~

 

 

“Come out!” Howon pounded on Somi’s bathroom door. “We don’t have all day!”

 

 

“Yeah! Hyung is right!” Sungjong followed his older brother, pounding on the bathroom door.

 

 

“Wait, I need to get my hair just right!” Somi called back.

 

 

“You’re pretty no matter what you do with your hair, noona!” Sungjong replied back, earning himself a glare from Howon.

 

 

“What?” Sungjong asked his older brother, with an innocent smile on his face.

 

 

Somi finally opened the door, stepping out in light-blue shorts and a pretty top.

 

 

“I’m so glad to see you, Jongie! It’s been so long,” Somi patted Sungjong on the head.

 

 

Howon smiled at his little brother. He was originally going to go out by himself and hang out with Somi, but Sungjong insisted on coming. Howon was reluctant, but as Sungjong persisted, he finally gave in.

 

 

“Why are you dressed so nicely today?” Howon asked Somi. “You never dress like this when we usually go out to hang.”

 

 

“It’s because Woohyunnie hyung will be there, right?” Sungjong wiggled his eyebrows at Somi.

 

 

“You like Woohyun?” Howon asked Somi, with a surprised look on his face, and a glint of something in his eyes. Could it be.. jealousy? Nah.

 

 

“No! But he’s really handsome. I can’t look like trash in front of a handsome guy,” Somi responded with a smile to Howon.

 

 

“Haha, okay!” Howon brushed it off. “Anyways, let’s get going! We should get to the noraebang before it’s dark out.”

 

 

“Yeah! Let’s go! Bye Yeollie hyung!” Sungjong waved at Sungyeol, who was coming out of the bathroom, drying his hair with a towel.

 

 

Somi and the two Lee Brothers walked over to the door, and before Somi could open it, the door opened. Somi walked straight into Myungsoo, and bumped the top of her head on his chin.

 

 

“Oops. Sorry,” Myungsoo curtly said.

 

 

“Oh, it’s okay oppa!” Somi rubbed the top of her head, which kind of hurt.

 

 

“You’re okay right?” Myungsoo looked sincere.

 

 

“Yup! Of course she is! Bye handsome-hyung-whose-name-I-do-not-know!” Sungjong shuffled Somi out the door with a forced smile, Howon closing it behind them, stifling his laughter.

 

 

“Well, that was awkward,” Howon scratched the back of his neck. “Anyways, to the noraebang we go!”

 

 

The trio took the elevator down to the first floor, and quietly exited the apartment building.

 

 

“Fresh air!” Somi smiled, spinning around in circles.

 

 

“So hyung, who’s coming besides us and Woohyun?” Sungjong asked Howon.

 

 

“Dongwoo, our class president! You know, the one with the big lips and funny laugh.”

 

 

“Oh, yeah, he seems to be a really funny hyung. Was he the one who arranged this?” Sungjong asked.

 

 

“Yup! That’s why Woohyun is coming. Since Dongwoo and Woohyun are both class presidents for our year, they got close. Dongwoo initially invited just me. But, I didn’t want this lazy ,” Howon nudged Somi, “to stay at home all day, so I brought her out too!”

 

 

“Woohyun hyung won’t mind if I come, right?” Sungjong asked Howon. “I mean, he’s really popular and he’s one of the hardest guys in the school to talk to..”

 

 

The Lee brothers talked on and on, and soon enough, the conversation had jumped from Woohyun to cute girls at school to Infinity Challenge to breeds of dogs.

 

 

As the three students neared the noraebang, they passed an apartment building, a building that was way too familiar to Somi.

 

 

“Sunggyu used to live here..” Somi muttered to herself.

 

 

“Sorry, what was that? I didn't hear you,” Howon looked at Somi questioningly.

 

 

“Oh, nothing!” Somi smiled. “I was talking to myself.”

 

 

Howon raised his eyebrows. 

 

 

“Okay.”

 

 

When they reached the noraebang, Sunggyu’s apartment building was still in sight. Howon opened the door and Somi turned around one last time to look at the building.

 

 

The sun was setting, and a girl sat in front of the apartment. The girl looked Somi’s age.. That girl.. Somi’s eyes widened.

 

 

“You’re hurting.”

 

 

That same girl who had said those exact words to Somi a few days prior was sitting in front of the apartment building. Sunggyu’s apartment building. Maybe she knew something.. Unlikely. Somi had never seen her before until this school year. She was probably a transfer student or something.

 

 

“Aren’t you coming in?” Howon was still holding the door open.

 

 

“Oh, um, yeah,” Somi followed him into the dark karaoke building, which smelled of alcohol and cigarettes.

 

 

“Reservations under Jang Dongwoo!” Sungjong declared to the worker at the front desk.

 

 

“Room 4, on your right side!” the worker replied.

 

 

Somi could hear a clear, confident rapping voice coming from the room. Curious, she pushed open the door to see Dongwoo rapping and Woohyun stuffing his face with chicken.

 

 

“너 없이 hopeless world!” Dongwoo finished rapping and smiled up at Somi. “Hey Somi, Howon, Sungjong.”

 

 

“Hello hyung! We’ve never properly met, right? But you probably know about me. I guess Howon hyung has talked to you about me, since you know my name!” Sungjong talked in the bubbly way that he always did.

 

 

“Yup! I’ve heard a lot about you! Aren’t you the Class President of 1-3?” Dongwoo asked Sungjong.

 

 

“Oh, no. That’s my friend, Minho! But whenever he’s gone away on his soccer tournaments, the teacher always asks me to take over!” Sungjong smiled.

 

 

“Hey Somi!” Woohyun smiled at Somi, with a piece of chicken stuck between his bottom teeth.

 

 

Somi looked at him. Woohyun was attractive, and he had a good personality too. She gave a shy smile back.

 

 

“We’ve never been in the same class, right? Let me properly introduce myself. I’m Nam Woohyun, Class President of 2-2!” Woohyun smiled, patting the sofa beside him. “Come, sit! And tell me about yourself!”

 

 

“I’m umm Lee Somi. And err. I like to.. watch Running Man with my older brother, Sungyeol. I’m terrible at math but I like to read and listen to music,” Somi lamely said, moving to sit by Woohyun.

 

 

“Oh, cool! Do you sing?” Woohyun wondered.

 

 

“No! Never! But I like to listen to others!” Somi grinned, wanting to hear Woohyun sing.

 

 

“What’s your favorite song?” Woohyun asked her.

 

 

“Do you know that song, ‘Lovable’ by Kim Jongkook? I love Kookie! He’s my favorite in Running Man!” Somi said.

 

 

“Yeah! I used to sing that all the time!” Woohyun grabbed the remote and typed in the numbers, 020891. He had memorized the call number for that song a long time ago.

 

 

The intro to the song started playing, and Woohyun began to sway from side to side. Howon picked up a tambourine. Sungjong and Dongwoo got up to dance, and Somi ended getting pulled out of her seat as well! Woohyun sang amazingly, and when the song ended, Somi was sad that Woohyun had stopped singing.

 

 

“Hey! You sang it better than Kookie! You’re great,” Somi smiled.

 

 

“I aim to please,” Woohyun smiled as he sat down.

 

 

It was now Dongwoo and Howon’s turn to sing.

 

 

“Let’s go! Everybody hates me, but you love me and I love you, whoa-oh-oh!” Howon jumped around as he sang his heart out.

 

 

“Oh yeah! EPIK HIGH!” Dongwoo said, before doing Mithra’s rap part.

 

 

Woohyun sang a couple more songs, and Howon showed off his rapping and dancing skills as well. Dongwoo also showcased some of his vocal talents.

 


Sungjong and Somi then did a joint performance, which involved Somi’s off-key singing of Miss A’s ‘Hush’, and Sungjong doing the dance.

 

 

“Baksu!” Everyone clapped as Sungjong and Somi took a bow.

 

 

“Time really flies when you’re having fun,” Howon panted, his face sweaty and obviously tired.

 

 

“Yup! I’m so glad that I begged you to come tonight, hyung!” Sungjong said, which made everyone laugh.

 

 

“I almost forgot. Somi, this is for you!” Dongwoo handed Somi an envelope.

 

 

“What is it?” Somi asked him, not taking it.

 

 

“Well, one of the boys in our grade wanted me to give this to you, anonymously,” Dongwoo had a smirk on his face.

 

 

“Come on! Open it!” Woohyun laughed. Somi decided that even though Woohyun was very handsome and cool, she would only like him as a friend. Besides, she still loved Sunggyu.

 

 

Somi reluctantly look the pretty envelope with her name written on the front from Dongwoo’s hand. She tore it open and read the contents out loud.

 

 

“가끔은 너 좀 울적하고

뭔가 슬픈 듯 보여도

넌 어느새 웃고 있어

내 가슴이 왜 이리 저며올까?

너를 꼭 안고 싶은걸

 

이소미! 난 니가 좋다!”

 

 

“Sometimes you seem down

and somewhat sad,

but at some point, you’re smiling again.

Why does my heart feel like it’s being sliced,

when I see you sad like that?

I want to hold you tight.

 

Lee Somi! I like you!”

 

 

“Whoa! Sounds like a poem I would write,” Woohyun smirked, looking at the paper in Somi’s hand. “Wait.. I know this handwriting.”

 

 

“What?” Somi looked at Woohyun.

 

 

“Yup! I’m pretty sure it’s him,” Woohyun whispered something into Dongwoo’s ear, and they exchanged knowing smiles.

 

 

“What? Who is it?” Somi, Howon, and Sungjong questioned.

 

 

“Wow, he doesn’t seem like the type to do something like this,” Woohyun laughed.

 

 

“Well, you know what they say. Love changes people,” Dongwoo said, the both of them completely ignoring Somi, Howon, and Sungjong.

 

 

“You’ll find out eventually,” Woohyun smiled at Somi and the two confused boys.

 

 

“Aww! Our two hours are up! And it’s almost 9:00 pm!” Dongwoo sighed.

 

 

“Thanks for paying, hyung!” Sungjong smiled at Dongwoo.

 

 

“Of course! Go home safely! Wait, Howon and Jong, wanna come with me? I can drive you guys back. We live in the same apartment building anyways!” Dongwoo suggested.

 

 

“But it’s dark, and we should walk Somi home,” Howon said, sticking to Somi’s side.

 

 

“Oh, I can take her,” Woohyun said. 

 

 

“Are you sure?” Howon eyed Woohyun suspiciously.

 

 

“Yeah, the direction you guys came from is the direction I live in, anyways.”

 

 

“Okay! Bye Woohyunnie hyung and Somi noona!” Sungjong waved the two of them off, as he and Howon stayed waiting for Dongwoo, who was still looking for his credit card to pay the bill.

 

 

“Text me when you get home!” Howon added.

 

 

“Bye!” Woohyun and Somi left, walking in the direction of Somi’s apartment building. Somi shivered in the night air.

 

 

“Are you cold?” Woohyun took off his jacket and wrapped it around Somi before she could even respond.

 

 

“Thanks,” she replied.

 

 

Somi used to think Woohyun was a playboy, but after tonight, she just realized that he was just an overly nice guy. Because of his niceness and his handsome looks, girls fell for him. If Somi didn’t have Sunggyu, she probably would’ve fell for Woohyun’s charms as well.

 

 

“So where do you live?” Somi awkwardly tried to make conversation.

 

 

“Same building as you. Same floor as you. Just on the other side of the hall.”

 

 

“What?” Somi asked. “I never knew!”

 

 

“I knew,” Woohyun grinned cheekily. “I’m very observant, you know.”

 

 

“Why didn’t you tell me? We could’ve walked to school together every day!”

 

 

“You never asked!” Woohyun pinched Somi’s cheek.

 

 

“Well, at least now I know,” Somi chuckled as they walked up to their apartment building.

 

 

Woohyun walked Somi all the way up to her front door, and smiled.

 

 

“Tonight was fun. We should do it again sometime. With the others, of course,” Woohyun said, taking his jacket off Somi’s shoulders.

 

 

“We totally should! See you at school!” Somi grinned, glad to have made a new friend.

 

 

“See you!” Woohyun laughed. Right as he turned around and began walking to his apartment, Myungsoo opened the door.

 

 

“Welcome back. Did you have fun?” Myungsoo didn’t meet Somi’s eyes right away as he watched Woohyun’s retreating figure.

 

 

“Yup. It was great. Hi Yeollie oppa!” Somi walked into the kitchen and looked at her older brother, who was brewing coffee. At 9:00 pm. Typical.

 

 

“Hey, Somi?” Myungsoo called Somi back to the door.

 

 

“Yeah, oppa?”

 

 

“That guy who walked you home? That’s the guy that I mentioned the before. That guy in your year that would walk with Kim Sunggyu to school every day.”

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

*Author’s Note: Suspicious, suspicious. Woohyun used to be close to Sunggyu? Or is Myungsoo just mistaken? And Somi got a confession.. Ehehe.. I wonder who it’s from. Dongwoo and Woohyun seem like they’re the only ones that know..