Couldn’t sleep all night. 밤이 새도록 못 잤어.

My Never-Changing Heart: 변하지 않는 내 마음

~

밤이 새도록 못 잤어

니가 나를 떠날까 봐 두려워

맘을 돌려 내게로 와줄래

I couldn’t sleep all night

I was afraid that you might leave me

Please turn your heart around and come back to me

~

 

 

The sun was setting, and everyone had finished eating dinner. Dongwoo and Woohyun were busy trying to start a fire, and Sungjong was setting chairs up all around the fire pit. Myungsoo took out his guitar.

 

 

“Get off your phone, Sungyeol!” Myungsoo looked over at his friend. “We are here to spend quality time together, not here to watch you text your girlfriend.”

 

 

“She is not my girlfriend!” Sungyeol protested.

 

 

“But she will be,” Woohyun winked at him, and Sungyeol smirked back and quickly sent a text to Jinhee.

 

 

 

To: My Jinhee

Oppa’s friends are being mean right now.. =_= They don’t want me talking to you~ I’ll text you later tonight!

 

 

From: My Jinhee

Okay, oppa! I will be studying in the meantime. :)

 

 

 

Sungyeol sighed and closed his phone, and went to join Myungsoo over by the campfire.

 

 

Everyone was gathered around the fire pit in one big circle, sitting in their chairs. Somi was holding a bag of marshmallows, and Howon was busy putting marshmallows onto skewers.

 

 

“Me! Me! Give me a skewer! And put three marshmallows on it, please!” Sungjong reached over to Howon for a skewer.

 

 

“So when you want something from me, you speak to me formally and say ‘please’?” Howon glared at his little brother.

 

 

“Yes!” Sungjong smiled innocently, and took the skewer that Howon handed out to him.

 

 

“Me too!” said Sungyeol, grabbing a skewer as well.

 

 

Soon, everyone except Myungsoo was roasting their marshmallows by the fire.

 

 

Myungsoo was tuning his guitar by ear. “Shh!” he shushed everyone. Everyone quieted down as Myungsoo finished tuning his guitar.

 

 

Finally, he strummed a g-chord and smiled.

 

 

“What song should we sing first?” he asked.

 

 

“Let’s sing… ‘Goodbye Summer’!” Woohyun suggested.

 

 

“By f(x)? Sungjong asked, and Woohyun nodded.

 

 

“Call!” said Howon, who was roasting his marshmallow fairly quietly.

 

 

Myungsoo smiled and began to play the song, and Dongwoo rapped Amber’s rap with almost-perfect English.

 

 

Right before the song ended, Sungyeol screamed and flailed his skewer in the air. “AAH! MY MARSHMALLOW IS ON FIRE!”

 

 

“Stupid,” Somi took her older brother's skewer and threw it on the ground. Howon stomped on it with his hiking shoes until the flame went out.

 

 

“Haha!” Myungsoo laughed brightly, not caring that Sungyeol had interrupted his guitar playing.

 

 

“Wow! That’s the first time I have ever seen you laugh so genuinely,” Sungyeol stated. “I should burn more marshmallows.”

 

 

“Oh no you won’t,” Somi said, causing Sungyeol to pout.

 

 

Howon handed Sungyeol another skewer and rolled his eyes. “Be careful this time, hyung.”

 

 

Sungyeol nodded with a grin and went to sit down in his chair again.

 

 

Next, Myungsoo played FT Island’s “Hello Hello”, and Woohyun sang Hongki’s lines confidently, which earned him cheers from everyone.

 

 

Eventually, all the marshmallows disappeared into everyone’s mouths and the fire went out, so everyone switched on their lanterns. 

 

 

Somi watched Myungsoo and Sungyeol head into their tent first, and then watched Dongwoo and Sungjong enter their tent as well. Their tents were right next to each other, and Somi’s tent was right next to Howon and Woohyun’s.

 

 

“Goodnight, noona!” Sungjong waved, as he zipped up the entrance to his tent.

 

 

“Sleep well, Sungjongie!” Somi said back to him.

 

 

Woohyun and Howon waited until Somi was safely in her tent before they entered theirs.

 

 

“See you tomorrow, Somi!” they both chimed, right outside her tent. Somi smiled and said goodnight to them as well.

 

 

Soon, everyone’s lanterns were out, except for Somi’s. She reached above her head and turned it off. 

 

 

She snuggled into her sleeping bag and looked at her phone for the first time that day, and saw that she had some messages from Junho.

 

 

 

From: Lee Junho

Somi. How are you? Jureumie is doing fine! ^^

 

 

From: Lee Junho

Lee Somi, why is there a picture of you and Howon on Dongwoo’s Facebook page?

 

 

From: Lee Junho

Somi! Answer me! Why were you sleeping on Howon’s shoulder in the picture? You’re making me jealous.. Hing..

 

 

 

Junho had attached the photo that Dongwoo had posted on Facebook earlier that morning, when Somi and Howon were sleeping. Somi giggled at how Howon was sleeping with his mouth wide open. She saved the photo for blackmail in the future.

 

 

She also read Junho’s message again and smiled. 

 

 

“He’s so cute when he’s jealous,” she thought. As if Junho knew that she was reading his messages, she received another text.

 

 

 

From: Lee Junho

Fine! Ignore me! Hmph. ㅡ_ㅡ It’s late. Sleep well! Goodnight.

 

 

To: Lee Junho

Sorry Junho.. ㅠㅠ I was busy all day! And you know how Howon and I are good friends!

 

 

From: Lee Junho

Yah! Lee Somi!!! Now you respond! =_= You can’t just sleep on other guys’ shoulders like that.. My shoulder will always be here for you though ^^

 

 

To: Lee Junho

Hehe I’m sorry.. I won’t do it again c:

 

 

From: Lee Junho

You better not! Go to sleep now~ You’ve been up since early this morning, I don’t want my Somi to get sick!

 

 

To: Lee Junho

Okay, you should go to sleep too! Sweet dreams! ><

 

 

 

Somi tucked her phone away and pulled her sleeping bag over her head. She was trying hard to fall asleep, but she hadn’t slept outside in the wilderness for a long time. The faint sound of wolves howling in the distance and the ruffling of leaves outside her tent didn’t help, either.

 

 

The last time she had went "camping", Sunggyu was there with her.

 

 

~~~

 

 

“Kim Sunggyu!”

 

 

“Sunggyu OPPA,” Sunggyu corrected Somi with a smug grin on his face.

 

 

“Sunggyu oppa,” Somi rolled her eyes. “Is this even considered camping? We are just at the park.” 

 

 

Sunggyu, who was in middle school at the time, smiled warmly at Somi, who was still in elementary school. “Of course it’s camping! It’s an adventure!”

 

 

Sunggyu had dragged Somi to the park where they first met to go "camping". He brought a tent and two sleeping bags to the park, and Somi had brought rice cakes for both of them. She also brought banana milk for herself and Sunggyu, respectively.

 

 

“Oppa, are you sure it’s allowed?” Somi asked.

 

 

“It’s a public park. I think we can sleep here overnight,” Sunggyu finished setting up his tent.

 

 

“Come on!” he pulled Somi inside, and the two of them set up their sleeping bags and giggled.

 

 

They talked and chewed on rice cakes until it was late, and Sunggyu yawned.

 

 

“Let’s go to sleep,” he said, and Somi climbed into her sleeping bag. Sunggyu climbed into his, and Somi giggled.

 

 

“You look like a kimbap roll!” she said, looking at Sunggyu’s head poking out of his sleeping bag.

 

 

She heard no response from him and scoffed in disbelief. He had already fallen asleep!

 

 

Somi tried to fall asleep as well, but she couldn’t. She didn’t like how she was sleeping outdoors, out in the open for anyone to come and kidnap her.

 

 

“Oppa! Psst! Oppa!” Somi shook Sunggyu awake, who looked at her with wide eyes.

 

 

“Is there something wrong?” he asked.

 

 

“I’m scared,” Somi admitted.

 

 

“Don’t be scared,” Sunggyu rolled over next to Somi, and they were face to face.

 

 

Sunggyu giggled and poked Somi's cheek. “When I was in elementary school, I was scared of many things too. Bu-”

 

 

“I’m not scared of MANY things!” Somi protested, and Sunggyu shushed her.

 

 

“But now, oppa is in middle school! So he is old enough to protect you. Don’t worry Somi, oppa is here!” Sunggyu continued, patting Somi on the back.

 

 

Sunggyu kept talking and talking until Somi finally fell asleep, and Sunggyu sighed with content. He rolled himself back over to his side of the tent, and fell asleep again.

 

 

~~~

 

 

Somi tossed and turned around in her tent, to no avail. She really, really wanted to go to sleep, but she just couldn’t.

 

 

“Howon? Woohyun?” she whispered towards the tent beside her.

 

 

No answer. They were probably already asleep.

 

 

“Howonnie!” Somi called out again, quietly, but loud enough for Howon to hear if he was awake.

 

 

Somi decided that she couldn’t sleep on her own anymore, and rolled up her sleeping bag and picked it up. She ped her tent as quietly as she could, and crept over to Howon and Woohyun’s tent. She made sure her tent was zipped up all the way before entering the two boys' tent.

 

 

Woohyun had headphones on, and was breathing softly as he slept in his sleeping bag, with one arm out. He was sleeping on his back, and wasn’t wearing a shirt. Somi could feel blood rushing to her cheeks. She quickly turned away and looked at Howon.

 

 

Howon, too, was sleeping soundly. He slept on his side, and Somi placed her sleeping bag on the other side of Howon, trying not to wake him up.

 

 

Woohyun heard Somi moving around in the tent, and woke up. He paused the music that was playing in his headphones.

 

 

He didn’t let Somi know that he was awake, and he quietly watched her as she climbed into her sleeping bag. Pretty soon, Somi fell asleep, comforted by the presence of her two friends and Howon’s soft snores. Woohyun sighed in relief and played his music again.

 

 

Then, Woohyun heard someone speak.

 

 

“Sunggyu oppa,” Somi mumbled, her words not completely clear.

 

 

Howon also woke up, and found himself facing Somi, whose eyes were closed.

 

 

“When did she get in here?” Howon thought. “Of course, she’s too much of a scaredy-cat to sleep in her own tent. How cute.”

 

 

Neither Howon nor Woohyun knew that the other was awake.

 

 

“Is she sleep talking?” Woohyun remembered what Sungyeol had said earlier. Sungyeol had mentioned his younger sister’s sleeping habits.

 

 

“Sunggyu oppa,” Somi said again, causing Howon to raise his eyebrows. Howon hadn’t heard the name “Sunggyu” before, so he was confused. Yet, he stayed still, not wanting to wake Somi.

 

 

“Sunggyu oppa! Thank you so much, for protecting me. It was my first time sleeping outside, you know,” Somi mumbled, and Howon became more puzzled.

 

 

Woohyun smiled knowingly, before closing his eyes and going back to sleep.

 

 

“I love you, Sunggyu oppa,” Somi finished sleep talking.

 

 

“Who is Sunggyu? What is Somi keeping from me?” Howon was troubled. 

 

 

Howon didn’t sleep well that night.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

*Author’s Note: Bad is almost at 5,000,000 views ^^ Everyone, go and watch it! I know you all want a choreography video!  So yeah.. Now Howon is starting to find out about Sunggyu as well >< It's like 3:30 am for me.. so goodnight! I'll be back with a chapter soon!