Let’s go far away. 멀리 떠나자.

My Never-Changing Heart: 변하지 않는 내 마음

~

그래 멀리 떠나자

외로움을 지워보자

Let’s go far away

Let’s erase the loneliness

~

 

 

“Are we there yet?” Sungjong whined.

 

 

“Shut up!” Howon hushed his younger brother, and Myungsoo sighed.

 

 

“Somi, are you sure that Junho can take good care of Jureumie?” Sungyeol asked.

 

 

“Yeah. He has cats too,” Somi rolled her eyes. "I'm sure he won't kill her."

 

 

Sungyeol and Myungsoo’s midterm exams were coming up soon. 

 

 

Sungyeol wanted to do something fun before he and Myungsoo had to actually start studying, so he suggested a camping trip. He invited Howon and Sungjong, and Somi had invited Woohyun to come along. Woohyun brought Dongwoo, as well.

 

 

“The more the merrier!” Sungyeol had said when Woohyun asked him if he could invite a friend.

 

 

Sungyeol had also invited Jinhee, but she politely declined his offer. She had her own studying to do. Somi had also wanted to invite Junho, but Sungyeol refused. He didn’t want his younger sister to go camping with her boyfriend. He cringed at the idea of the two of them sharing a tent.

 

 

So now, everyone was in a bus, heading down to the woods. It was a four hour drive, and everyone was tired. It was still only 8:00 in the morning. Everyone had gotten up at 5:30 am to get ready and catch the bus that left at 7:00 am.

 

 

Woohyun was knocked out, snoozing with his head against the window.

 

 

Sungjong was sitting by Myungsoo, and he was whining non-stop about how it was hot inside the bus, and how he was hungry.

 

 

Sungyeol was sitting by Dongwoo, and the two of them were listening to music together, singing along like little kids. Somi laughed at the two of them, and turned to the person sitting next to her. 

 

 

She made eye-contact with Howon, and he smiled at her.

 

 

“Tired?” he asked, patting his shoulder. “Go to sleep. We still have an hour and a half left.”

 

 

“Thanks, Howonnie!” Somi put her head on his shoulder and fell asleep right away.

 

 

Pretty soon, Howon fell asleep as well, with his head resting right over hers.

 

 

“Aww, look at them!” Dongwoo chimed, looking at Somi and Howon. They had been asleep for a while, and no one had noticed.

 

 

“They’re so cute,” Myungsoo remarked, and Sungyeol snapped a picture of his sister sleeping next to her best friend.

 

 

“Eww, why would noona want to sleep on hyung’s shoulder? He smells,” Sungjong said, crinkling his nose, causing everyone to laugh. Even Woohyun woke up and chuckled.

 

 

“I don’t know why she would date Junho, when she could date Howon,” Woohyun said, yawning and leaning against his neck pillow to attempt to fall back to sleep.

 

 

“I know right! Junho is a jerk, and Howon actually takes care of Somi,” Sungyeol said, earning himself a nod of agreement from Myungsoo.

 

 

“Kya kya kya, Sungyeol hyung, should I upload this picture?” Dongwoo asked, holding up his phone. It was a picture that he had just took of Somi and Howon.

 

 

“Yeah! Let’s make Lee Junho jealous!” Sungjong cheered, and Dongwoo uploaded the photo.

 

 

Soon, the bus driver announced, “We have twenty minutes until we reach our destination. Don’t leave any of your stuff on the bus!”

 

 

Everyone, except for Somi and Howon, who were still sleeping, began to chatter, talking about the events of the campout.

 

 

Sungjong squealed with excitement. “I can’t wait! I haven’t gone camping since my first year of middle school! We’re gonna have so much fun! Singing around the campfire, hiking, and swimming in the lake! Two days and one night seems too short!”

 

 

“I know right! It’s Saturday morning, and we need to go back to school on Monday. So unfair. I want to go swimming in the lake!” Woohyun said. “Our stupid high school doesn’t even have a pool, and I haven’t swam in forever!”

 

 

“Hey, you’re one of the class presidents at our school. Don’t call it stupid,” Dongwoo laughed.

 

 

Sungyeol grinned. “I want to gather firewood with Myunggie!”

 

 

“No thanks,” Myungsoo said.

 

 

“Who’s going to share a tent with who? We have four tents, and seven people,” Sungjong asked.

 

 

“Well, Somi is going to get her own tent,” said Sungyeol, not wanting to sleep in the same tent as his sister. “She talks in her sleep, and I don’t want her in the same tent as any of you guys.”

 

 

“Isn’t noona too much of a scaredy-cat to stay in her own tent?” Sungjong snickered, and Woohyun nodded his head in agreement.

 

 

“See, this is why Jinhee should’ve came!” Sungyeol pouted. “She could’ve shared a tent with Somi!”

 

 

“Oh please, you just want to see Jinhee in a bikini when we go swimming,” Myungsoo rolled his eyes, and Dongwoo laughed.

 

 

“So, what is the relationship between you and Jinhee anyways?” Woohyun raised his eyebrows, and Sungyeol blushed.

 

 

Sungyeol picked up as many bags as he could and started down the bus aisle. “We’re here! Someone wake up those two lovebirds,” Sungyeol changed the subject and gestured to Somi and Howon, who were still sound asleep.

 

 

“Yah! Lovebirds,” Woohyun shook Howon awake, who moved his head down and hit Somi with his chin.

 

 

“Oww!” Somi sat up, wide awake. She rubbed her head with a sigh.

 

 

Howon blinked, and sat straight up. “Are you okay? We are here already?” he asked.

 

 

“No, hyung. We’re still five hundred miles away,” Sungjong said sarcastically, earning himself a glare from Howon.

 

 

“Watch it, Lee Sungjong,” Howon said, and Somi giggled, getting out of her seat and picking up her bag.

 

 

“I’ll carry that for you, noona!” Sungjong said, taking the bag out of Somi’s hands.

 

 

“No, it’s okay,” Somi took her bag and put it over her shoulders. She picked up one of the tent bags and stumbled off the bus. 

 

 

“Noona, at least let me carry that for you,” Sungjong said, batting his long eyelashes and taking the tent out of Somi’s hands.

 

 

“Thank you, Sungjong-ah,” Somi said, and Howon glared at his younger brother for the second time in five minutes.

 

 

“Why is it that you always respond sarcastically to me and show me no respect whatsover, but you always talk nicely to Somi?” Howon asked his brother.

 

 

“Cause! You’re my hyung. You’re rude, annoying, and mean to me! Plus, you smell bad,” Sungjong said.

 

 

Somi leaned over and sniffed Howon’s neck. He had a strong, sharp scent, because he was wearing cologne.

 

 

“Eww! He does smell bad!” Somi joked, and Sungjong grinned at her and skipped away before Howon nagged him again.

 

 

“Really?” Howon sniffed himself.

 

 

“I’m just kidding!” Somi laughed and skipped off after Sungjong.

 

 

Howon just shook his head walked after the two.

 

 

~~~

 

 

“Ugh! What the heck! Myunggie! My tent is broken!” Sungyeol huffed, and sat down on the ground.

 

 

Everyone was struggling to put up their tents. It was almost noon, lunchtime, so everyone was hungry and grouchy as well.

 

 

“I didn’t have breakfast,” Howon grumbled, as he hammered tent pegs into the ground.

 

 

“Hey. Somi. Make us sandwiches!” Sungyeol bossed around his sister, while struggling to put up his tent.

 

 

“Please! Heeyoong heeyoong!” Myungsoo did aegyo.

 

 

“Whoa,” Somi said. “Since when does L oppa act cute?” 

 

 

“Myunggie changes when it’s hot outside. He turns really, really weird,” Sungyeol stated, as he and Myungsoo spread the rain cover over their tent. "I don't know why we need a rain cover, anyways," Sungyeol grumbled.

 

 

“Fine,” Somi said. “I’m only making sandwiches because all of you guys are working hard putting up tents, and I feel bad, sitting here, doing nothing.”

 

 

“Yay!” Woohyun and Sungjong cheered, as Somi dug through the box of food supplies.

 

 

“What do you guys want in your sandwich?” she asked.

 

 

“Cheese! Lettuce! Tomatoes! Ham! But no onions, please!” Woohyun said.

 

 

“Turkey, lettuce, onions, and extra tomatoes please!” Dongwoo said politely.

 

 

“Anything noona makes will taste good to me!” Sungjong remarked.

 

 

“Roast beef, extra tomatoes, lettuce, and mayo,” Howon looked to Somi, as he continued setting up a tent.

 

 

“You know what I want,” Sungyeol said to his sister.

 

 

“I eat anything,” Myungsoo said.

 

 

Somi wrote down what each boy wanted. “Geez, okay,” she said, as she took out all the ingredients needed.

 

 

Somi quickly made all the sandwiches, and brought them over to the picnic tables that were located on the campgrounds. She also brought out seven water bottles, and placed them on the table where she had put the sandwiches. She also cut apples into nice slices, and placed them onto a big plate in the middle of the table.

 

 

“Lunch is served!” Somi called, and six sweaty boys ran over to her.

 


“Man, setting up those tents took up a lot of my energy,” Dongwoo groaned, shoving his sandwich into his mouth.

 

 

“I know right! But it will be worth it tonight, when we’re sleeping!” Sungjong said, sipping his water.

 

 

Somi looked at the tents. Everyone had done a really good job. Two of the tents were lined up by the trees, and two of the tents were closer to the picnic tables. The grass around the tents was fresh and bright green, and the sky was a clear blue.

 

 

“This sandwich is really good,” Myungsoo smiled at Somi.

 

 

“Well, it doesn’t take a master chef to make a sandwich,” Somi joked.

 

 

“Mine is dry,” Sungyeol complained, and Somi shot him a look.

 

 

Everyone continued to eat, joke around, and laugh with each other. Then, Sungjong looked over to the four tents that were set up.

 

 

“So, Sungyeol and L hyung are sharing a tent, right?” Sungjong asked, picking up an apple slice and putting it into his mouth.

 

 

“Yup,” Myungsoo responded, taking the last bite of his sandwich.

 

 

“So there are three tents left, and five people. Somi will have her own tent. Howon and Sungjong, you’ll share? And then Woohyun and Dongwoo?” Sungyeol asked.

 

 

“Eww! I’m not sharing a tent with him,” Sungjong looked at Howon with disgust.

 

 

“Yah! Lee Sungjong! Is that how you talk to your hyung?” Howon said to Sungjong with a look of reproach.

 

 

“Yes. That is how I talk to my hyung,” Sungjong giggled, and Dongwoo ruffled his hair.

 

 

“Want to share a tent with me tonight?” Dongwoo offered. “So you don't have to sleep with Howonnie.”

 

 

“Sure!” Sungjong said. “Anyone is better than Howon hyung!”

 

 

Woohyun and Howon looked at each other. “I guess we’re sharing a tent then,” Howon grinned.

 

 

“Yeah man!” Woohyun clapped Howon on the back, and smiled.

 

 

“…I don’t like sleeping alone! It’s dark.. We’re in the open.. What if a bear comes to my tent?” Somi worried.

 

 

“There are no bears here,” Myungsoo reassured Somi.

 

 

“Noona, I can sleep in your tent with you if you’re scared!” Sungjong offered with an innocent grin on his face.

 

 

“Uh, no you won’t,” Sungyeol butted in, glaring at Sungjong who flinched.

 

 

“So.. anyone up for some hiking?” Dongwoo grinned, taking off his tennis shoes and putting on his hiking boots.

 

 

~~~

 

 

“Wow! It’s so pretty!” Somi spread her arms and twirled in circles.

 

 

“Be careful!” Sungyeol hissed at his sister, grabbing her. “You might just twirl off a cliff!”

 

 

Howon laughed, and Somi glared at him.

 


“Sorry. But you looked really stupid,” he mouthed, still shaking with laughter.

 

 

The group of friends had hiked up a small mountain for a few hours, admiring the pretty flowers around them and occasionally spotting a few bunny rabbits. They had even run into a doe and her fawn. 

 

 

Myungsoo had his camera out, and was taking pictures. Myungsoo had always told Somi that he enjoyed taking pictures, and when Somi looked at the pretty pictures he had taken, she told him that he could be a photographer.

 

 

“Thanks,” Myungsoo said.

 

 

Woohyun was also taking pictures, but they weren’t pictures of nature! They were pictures of himself!

 

 

“You look so handsome today, Namstar,” he said to himself, as he snapped a picture with a pink flower in his hair. 

 

 

“Oh geez, look whose ego grew even bigger,” Dongwoo said, laughing.

 

 

“Well, he is popular among the girls at our school,” Somi remarked, as Woohyun came over to her and tried to take a selca.

 

 

“Smile!” 

 

 

Woohyun held the his phone camera out, and Somi made a piece sign.

 

 

“We came out well!” Somi remarked, and Woohyun grinned.

 

 

Sungjong was picking flowers and creating flower bracelets. He handed one with purple flowers to Howon, who slipped it into his wrist with a faint smile.

 

 

“For you, hyung!” Sungjong slipped a black and white flower bracelet onto Myungsoo’s wrist, and Myungsoo smiled genuinely at him.

 

 

“Thanks, Sungjong-ah!” Myungsoo took a picture of Sungjong, who posed with a yellow sunflower in his hands.

 

 

Sungjong handed a pink and white flower bracelet to Somi. “And this is for you, noona!”

 

 

“Ooh, thank you!” Somi grinned.

 

 

“We should be getting back to camp now! It’s starting to get dark, and we don’t want to get lost up here at night,” Howon said, and Sungyeol nodded in agreement.

 

 

“Everyone, collect any firewood that you see as we go down!” Myungsoo said. “That way, we won’t have to go out and collect more later!”

 

 

“Okay!” Sungjong happily said, picking up a piece of driftwood that was laying on the ground. Woohyun also picked up a big piece, and carried it.

 

 

“This is so nice, camping out here with friends.. If only Sunggyu were here,” Somi sighed, and picked up a piece of firewood as well, smiling over at Howon and following Sungjong back down the mountain trail.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

*Author’s Note: Sorry for not updating for three days! I promise to upload the next chapter tomorrow! Thank you all so much for subscribing to my story! I really appreciate it, and I really enjoy reading the few comments that I have received. The next chapter (and maybe even the chapter after that) will still be at the campout ^^