You shine. 니가 비쳐.

My Never-Changing Heart: 변하지 않는 내 마음

~

햇살이 내리는 사이 마다

흰구름 흐르는 사이 마다

바람이 스치는 사이 마다

니가 비쳐

In between the cracks of the sunlight

In between the flowing white clouds

In between the blowing wind

You shine

~

 

 

 

“Hello?” Somi spoke into her phone, rubbing her eyes.

 

 

“Good morning, bestie!” Howon said. “You’re up pretty early.. What are you doing today?”

 

 

The previous night, Junho had sent Somi a text, asking her if she wanted to go on a date the next day. She agreed, and they were going to go on a picnic at the park. Junho was bringing dessert and drinks, and Somi agreed to make kimbap.

 

 

“I’m.. uh.. I have a date with Junho today,” Somi said into the phone.

 

 

“Oh.. okay. I guess we can’t hang out today, then,” Howon sounded kind of disappointed, bitter almost.

 

 

“Yeah.. sorry! I need to get ready, bye! Thanks for calling, Howonnie!” Somi said, as she hung up and went to get dressed.

 

 

“Hmm.. What should I wear?” she thought.

 

 

Since it was just a picnic and not formal at all, Somi decided to put on skinny jeans, a white shirt, and she tied a flannel around her waist. 

 

 

After changing, she brushed her teeth and did her hair. When she was done with that, she hurried off to the kitchen to prepare kimbap.

 


“Whatcha doing?” Sungyeol asked his little sister, sitting at the table and not taking his eyes off his computer screen.

 

 

“Making kimbap,” Somi replied. “And what are you doing, sitting at the computer, so intensely focused?”

 

 

“Me? I’m shopping for Jureumie!” Sungyeol grinned.

 

 

Somi narrowed her eyes. “With whose money?”

 

 

“Myungsoo’s, of course!” Sungyeol smiled innocently. “He left his card on the table here. Shh. Don’t wake him up!”

 

 

Myungsoo was sleeping like a log on the couch. He and Sungyeol had drank the previous night, and whenever Myungsoo drank, especially when he drank things like soju and rice wine, he always slept in.

 

 

Somi put down the laver, radish, and fishcake that she had taken out, and went over to Sungyeol and looked at his computer screen. He was buying a cat house worth 500,000 won for Jureumie!

 

 

“Are you crazy?” Somi hit her brother in the head.

 

 

“What? IT’S NOT MY MONEY.”

 

 

“So? Just because it’s not yours, doesn’t mean you can spend so much of it! WHAT IF L OPPA FOUND OUT?” Somi scolded him.

 

 

“If L oppa found out what?” Myungsoo sat up on the couch, wide awake.

 

 

Sungyeol quickly clicked on the cart to check out. Somi looked at the total and gasped.

 

 

3,139,200 won!

 

 

“L OPPA! COME HERE! LOOK WHAT HE’S TRYING TO DO!” Somi yelled, and Myungsoo quickly ran over to Sungyeol, who was inputting Myungsoo’s credit card information into PayPal as fast as he could.

 

 

“YAH! Lee Sungyeol! You really give me headaches!” Myungsoo yelled, closing the browser window.

 

 

“M-Myunggie..” Sungyeol pouted. “Those were essentials for Jureumie!”

 

 

“Oh, please. That spoiled cat doesn’t need anything else,” Myungsoo glared at Sungyeol, and snatched his credit card out of the pouting boy’s hands.

 

 

“Wow! I thought you were my best friend! Hmph!” Sungyeol stormed into his room and slammed the door.

 

 

Somi laughed and pulled out rice and the board used to help fold the kimbap.

 

 

“Are you actually.. cooking something?” Myungsoo asked Somi, with wide eyes.

 

 

“Hey! I usually cook!” Somi protested, as she slowly cut yellow radish into pieces.

 


“Why are you making kimbap? You should make hangover soup for me and Sungyeol!” Myungsoo grinned, taking the knife out of Somi’s hands and cutting the radish himself.

 

 

“I have a date today,” Somi stood up a little taller.

 

 

“Ooh, my dongsaeng is growing up!” Myungsoo chuckled, and rustled Somi’s hair. “Let me guess, a picnic? Or a drive-in afternoon movie?”

 

 

“Yup! Junho and I are going on a picnic!” Somi grinned. “Why can’t you be my real older brother, instead of Sungyeol?”

 

 

Somi glared at Sungyeol’s room door. She could faintly hear her older brother cooing at Jureumie. 

 

 

Myungsoo laughed, and quickly cut all the ingredients for the kimbap.

 

 

“Here you go,” he said, gesturing to the ingredients on the plate.

 

 

“Thank you, oppa!” 

 

 

Somi was really glad that Myungsoo was there to help her. She didn’t really like dealing with knives.

 

 

“No problem! I’m going to be heading out to pick up some hangover soup. I suppose, you’ll be gone by the time I’m back?” Myungsoo asked.

 

 

“I think so. I have to get going in ten minutes. I’ll finish up the kimbap, put on some light make-up, and then go!”

 

 

“You don’t need make-up. You’re cute the way you are,” Sungyeol came out of his room and winked at his little sister. “Don’t do anything.. inappropriate with Junho.”

 

 

Sungyeol made kissy faces and laughed.

 

 

“Not everyone is as erted as you, Lee Sungyeol,” Myungsoo cracked a smile and headed out the door to buy hangover soup.

 

 

~~~

 

 

Somi pressed the elevator button and waited for the elevator to come up to her floor. She had finished putting on light mascara and a tiny bit of eyeliner, and she was carrying her picnic basket, which had a blanket, and the kimbap inside.

 

 

The elevator doors opened and she was greeted with a familiar face.

 

 

“Hey Somi!” Woohyun grinned and waved. He was wearing a muscle t-shirt and sweat was dripping down his neck.

 

 

“Just finished exercising?” Somi asked.

 

 

“Yup! And how about you? Where are you going?” Woohyun asked.

 

 

“I’m going out for a date,” Somi said, holding up the picnic basket.

 

 

“Oh.. with Lee Junho, right?” Woohyun said. “He has been the one giving you all those letters, you know.”

 

 

“Yeah, he actually confessed last week. I was a little bit surprised, because he was always cold to me. But I think he’s a pretty sweet guy,” Somi told Woohyun.

 

 

“Yeah.. a sweet guy..” Woohyun echoed Somi, his expression not really readable.

 

 

“Well, gotta go! Junho’s waiting!” Somi skipped into the elevator and waved goodbye to Woohyun.

 

 

“No,” Woohyun thought, and quickly went into his apartment, washed his face and changed into different clothes. He took the elevator down and exited the apartment building.

 

 

~~~

 

 

Junho sat on a bench near the park, waiting for Somi. He carried banana milk in one hand, and cookies he had baked in the other hand.

 

 

He whistled a tune, and looked up at the sky.

 

 

“It’s such a pretty day,” Junho smiled to himself, looking off into the direction that Somi would be most likely coming from.

 

 

He felt two hands cover his eyes.

 

 

“Guess who!” Somi sang.

 

 

“Hmm.. Chansung?” Junho joked.

 

 

“Hey! My voice isn’t as deep as his!” Somi frowned, and Junho chuckled and took Somi into his arms.

 

 

Somi didn’t fully like Junho, but she was trying to. He was nice enough, and he seemed to take a lot of time out of his busy soccer schedule to send her text messages and call her. She felt a little awkward while he was hugging her, but she smiled and hugged him back.

 


“I missed you,” Junho said, still hugging Somi.

 

 

“But we saw each other at school two days ago!” Somi pointed out.

 

 

“I still missed you,” Junho grinned, letting go.

 

 

“Gross,” thought a boy in black, who was secretly watching Somi and Junho. He was sitting on a bench behind them, pretending to be focused on a magazine. He listened to their conversation and cringed.

 

 

“Are you hungry?” Somi asked Junho.

 

 

“Mhm! I’m starving! Did you bring kimbap?” Junho looked at Somi’s picnic basket.

 

 

“Of course! It’s fresh, because I made it this morning,” Somi pulled out the rolls of kimbap out of her picnic basket, and spread the blanket on the floor. She took off her shoes and sat down on the blanket, and Junho did the same.

 

 

“Here! Try some!” Somi handed Junho a piece. He bit into it and made a face.

 

 

“It tastes bland,” he said. “You don’t really make food.. right?”

 

 

“What?!” Somi was embarrassed. She really tried her best to make it just right for Junho.

 

 

“I’m just kidding!” Junho laughed. “It tastes great, because you made it!”

 

 

Somi smiled back, and Junho handed her a bottle of banana milk.

 

 

“How did you know I liked banana milk?” Somi grinned at him.

 

 

“How would I not know? Whenever Howon, Channie, and I go to the convenience store after practices, Howon always buys one for you,” Junho said.

 

 

“Oh.. yup! He’s such a good friend, always taking care of me and stuff,” Somi said, sipping her banana milk.

 

 

The figure in black warmly smiled. “Even though I’m not sitting with her, it’s nice to know that Somi still thinks of me.”

 

 

Howon had come to spy on Somi and Junho. He knew that it wasn’t right to invade people’s privacy, but he just wanted to make sure Somi would be okay. He promised himself that he would only monitor their first date.

 

 

Then, something caught Howon’s eye. He saw another familiar teenager, about his age, watching Somi and Junho. He was sitting a bit further, a few benches apart from Howon.

 

 

The teenager pretended to be playing some sort of game on his phone, but Howon knew what the teenager really was doing.

 

 

Howon smirked, and walked over to the other boy.

 

 

“Hey Nam Woohyun. Why are you spying on Somi’s date?”

 

 

“I saw you over there too!” Woohyun pointed out, and Howon sheepishly smiled.

 

 

“I just want to make sure Somi is safe on her date,” Howon confessed.

 

 

The two boys were silent, and watched Somi and Junho. They were finishing up the last of their kimbap, and laughing with each other.

 

 

“Awh, how sweet. Watching out for her. Do you like her or something?” Woohyun winked.

 

 

“No! We’re just best friends!”

 

 

“That’s what they say,” Woohyun smiled, acting like he knew something.

 

 

“But why are you here?” Howon asked Woohyun, and Woohyun’s expression somewhat darkened.

 

 

“I’m here to keep an eye on Lee Junho,” he told Howon the truth.

 

 

Howon narrowed his eyes. “It’s weird, right?”

 

 

“What’s weird?” Woohyun asked.

 

 

“You know.. Junho had always been cold to Somi. He even told me that he didn’t like her, and he told me to stop hanging out with her before. And now he’s acting all lovey-dovey?” Howon told Woohyun.

 

 

“Hmm.. Junho.. He’s really confusing. The main thing that I know about Junho is that he’s a very manipulative person..” Woohyun said.

 

 

“In what way is he manipulative?” Howon was friends with Junho, and he never felt pressured by him to do anything before.

 

 

“I don’t know. He pressures people into giving him homework sometimes. He isn’t really a bully, but he knows how to get what he wants,” Woohyun said.

 

 

“He’s always been a good friend to me. I just came because I wanted to see if he could treat Somi right, and so far, he’s doing that,” Howon said.

 

 

The two boys looked over to Somi and Junho again. The couple was lying on the picnic blanket, looking up at the sky, and pointing to different clouds.

 

 

They watched as Junho rolled over and said something into Somi’s ear. She giggled. Woohyun and Howon wanted to throw up.

 

 

~~~

 

 

“My cookies are the best, right?” Junho looked at Somi for approval as she munched on the chocolate chip cookie he made.

 

 

“Yup! They’re really, really good!” Somi looked at him happily, still munching on her cookie.

 

 

I can make them every single day for you!” Junho offered, and Somi shook her head.

 

 

“I might get sick of them!” she joked, and Junho laughed.

 

 

The young couple talked about things they liked, things they had in common, things that were different, until Somi got a text message from Sungyeol.

 

 

From: Yeollie Oppa

Yah! Somi! ~.~ Don’t you remember that you have tutoring with Myunggie today?

 

 

Junho looked at Somi’s phone.

 

 

“Tutoring?” he asked. “Aren’t you in the top 15’s in your class?”

 

 

“Yup. But I’m still lacking in math. I think I need to get going now. Thank you so much for the wonderful picnic, Junho. I had a really good time!” Somi was a little bit sad to have to say bye to her boyfriend.

 

 

Junho folded the blanket neatly and put it back into the picnic basket for Somi.

 

 

“No problem. Let’s go out again sometime. I can text you details!” Junho suggested.

 

 

“Cool! See you!” Somi said, picking up her basket and leaving.

 

 

“Phew. They didn’t kiss goodbye. That would’ve been gross to watch,” Woohyun and Howon both thought.

 

 

“Well bye, Nam Woohyun. Somi’s gone now, so I’ll be gone too! It was fun to spy together with you today. I felt like a real secret agent,” Howon grinned, as he headed towards his house.

 

 

Woohyun waved goodbye to Howon and walked over to Junho, who had just thrown the wrappers and other remnants of the picnic into the trash can.

 

 

“Hey, Lee Junho.”

 

 

“What do you want, Nam Woohyun?” Junho said in a not-so-friendly tone.

 

 

“What are you hiding?”

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

*Author’s Note: Soo.. Woohyun and Howon end up spying on Somi and Junho together. My characters in the story are disliking Junho because he’s not a very social person, and sticks to himself, so he came off as somewhat rude to them >< Anyways, I have gained more subscribers and I would really like to thank you guys for subscribing to my first chaptered story! It means a lot! ^^ Also, I got my poster for the story c: