The biggest gift in my life. 내 인생에 가장 큰 선물.

My Never-Changing Heart: 변하지 않는 내 마음

~

니가 좋아 너라 좋아

내 인생에 가장 큰 선물

너만 볼게 나만 봐줘

그냥 너라서 고마워

I like you, because you’re you

You’re the greatest gift in my life

I’ll only look at you, please only look at me

Thank you for being you

~

 

 

“Hey Somi! Can I talk to you for a second, privately?” Woohyun called out.

 

 

“Ooh,” Sungjong wriggled his eyebrows at Somi, which she ignored.

 

 

They had finished swimming and it was now Sunday afternoon. Since there was school the next day, it was time to head back to Jeonju. Everyone was taking down their tents and packing up.

 

 

Overall, everyone had enjoyed the short camping trip, and Sungjong had made everyone promise that they would go on another one sometime in the future.

 

 

Howon still hadn’t confronted Somi about Sunggyu, and acted like he didn’t know anything.

 

 

“Woohyun? What do you need?” Somi walked over to Woohyun and they stood alone behind the restroom building.

 

 

Woohyun fiddled his fingers. He didn’t really know what to tell Somi.

 

 

“Junho..” he started to say.

 

 

“Junho? What about him? Is he hurt or something?” Somi asked, and Woohyun sighed.

 

 

“She already cares so much for him.. It wouldn’t be good if my suspicions are right.. It would break her heart..” Woohyun thought.

 

 

“No.. It’s not that,” Woohyun said. “I think you should just be careful around Junho. Like, don’t go alone with him anywhere at night, and date in public places.”

 

 

“Why?” Somi questioned.

 

 

“I dunno,” Woohyun said.

 

 

“Well, okay. I don’t know why everyone is against Junho! He’s so sweet and he takes care of me well,” Somi frowned, and Woohyun patted her on the back.

 

 

“Sorry. I just wanted to give you some advice,” Woohyun said, and walked away to help Sungyeol and Myungsoo take down all the tents.

 

 

“Eh? Woohyun isn’t usually like that,” Somi said to herself and scratched her head, puzzled.

 

 

~~~

 

 

After the long ride home, Sungyeol quickly whipped out his phone to send a text message to Jinhee.

 

 

 

To: My Jinhee

Hey! Oppa is back in Jeonju now~ Want to go on a study date?

 

 

From: My Jinhee

“Date”? =_= Haha… But okay.. Let’s meet at the library!

 

 

 

Sungyeol dressed up the nicest he could, in a pale blue button-up shirt with black jeans. He looked at himself in the mirror and combed his hair nicely, and picked up Jureumie.

 

 

“Appa missed you while he was camping, Jureumie, but appa has a date now! Sorry!” Sungyeol said, as he grabbed his textbooks and rushed out the door.

 

 

By the time he got to the library, Jinhee was there waiting for him. He waved at her and she shyly smiled.

 

 

“Hi.. Sungyeol oppa,” she said, with a nervous smile.

 

 

“You missed me, right?” Sungyeol winked jokingly at her.

 

 

“You wish,” Jinhee laughed, and pulled out her textbook. “Chemistry. Are you good at it?”

 

 

“I’m okay at it,” Sungyeol wiggled his eyebrows. “But I think we have good chemistry.”

 

 

“You must have spent too much time with Nam Woohyun!” Jinhee exclaimed, and picked up Sungyeol’s notebook. “Your handwriting is pretty, though.”

 

 

“I know,” Sungyeol grinned. “But you’re prettier.”

 

 

Jinhee turned red. “Thanks?”

 

 

“You’re welcome,” Sungyeol winked again.

 

 

As time went on, the two studied together, laughing and exchanging weird glances. Sungyeol would always make cheesy comments here and there, and Jinhee would just blush.

 

 

Eventually it got dark out, and it was time to go home. Both of them had a good time, and both of them fell even harder for each other.

 

 

“This is probably really sudden, but do you want to go out with me?” Sungyeol asked nonchalantly, as he was packing up his textbooks.

 

 

“What?” Jinhee asked, not believing what he just asked her.

 

 

“You’re the greatest gift in my life, I’ll only look at you, please only look at me,” Sungyeol sang a song, his voice cracking.

 

 

“There’s no need to sing,” Jinhee chuckled, and Sungyeol laughed nervously.

 

 

“Do you want to be my girlfriend?” he asked, again.

 

 

“Hmm..” Jinhee pretended to contemplate, not wanting to sound too eager. Of course she wanted to be Sungyeol's girlfriend!

 

 

Sungyeol reached in his backpack and pulled out a smushed piece of chocolate and grinned sheepishly.

 

 

“I should’ve prepared something romantic but I couldn’t help myself,” Sungyeol laughed.

 

 

“Okay. Let’s go out!” Jinhee said, and Sungyeol wrapped his arms around her and smiled.

 

 

Sungyeol pulled away from the hug and looked Jinhee directly in the eyes.

 

 

“Today is our day 1.”

 

 

~~~

 

 

As Sungyeol and Jinhee were on their study date, Somi was at Howon’s apartment.

 

 

Howon had asked her to come over and hang out with him and Sungjong, because their parents were currently visiting relatives in Busan and would be back the next day, on Monday.

 

 

Howon was bored and he didn’t want to be stuck at home with Sungjong by himself.

 

 

The three of them were watching Weekly Idol, a show that Somi’s favorite idols, “Got7”, were making an appearance on.

 

 

“Why do they keep bullying poor Jackson?” Somi exclaimed.

 

 

“He’s so obnoxious. If I was the Doni, I would probably bully him too,” Howon laughed.

 

 

“Well, that’s not nice!” Somi pouted. “Poor Wang Kong.”

 

 

Howon noticed that Somi was wearing her locket. 

 

 

“The thing that Sunggyu gave her,” Howon noted.

 

 

“I like Bambam! He’s so cute!” Sungjong fanboyed, and Somi squealed with him.

 

 

“You guys..” Howon rolled his eyes, and went to his room to change into more comfortable clothes.

 

 

Somi and Sungjong continued to watch and squeal at Got7 while Howon thought hard in his room.

 

 

“Kim Sunggyu.. Kim Sunggyu. Should I ask Somi about him now?” Howon contemplated the possible outcomes while picking out comfortable clothes to wear.

 

 

Either Somi would tell Howon everything and fully trust in him, or she would shut herself away from him and not want to talk about it.

 

 

“Woohyun said that I should talk to her about Sunggyu.. And that we might get closer because she would come to me and we could talk about her concerns together.”

 

 

Howon pulled a comfortable loose t-shirt over himself. “I should do it.”

 

 

Howon finished changing and he walked out to see that Somi and Sungjong had finished watching their episode of Got7’s Weekly Idol.

 

 

The two of them were now talking, and Somi was complaining, saying that she wanted something to eat.

 

 

“Yah! Hyung! Get Somi something to eat! She wants chicken!” Sungjong demanded his older brother.

 

 

Howon realized that if he sent Sungjong to go out and pick up food, he would have time to speak with Somi, alone.

 

 

“Yah! Lee Sungjong! Why are you so rude to your hyung? YOU go pick up the food,” Howon scolded his brother.

 

 

“I want to stay here with noona!” Sungjong linked arms with Somi.

 

 

“Fine. How about we play rock, paper, scissors? The loser will go out and pick up food,” Howon suggested.

 

 

“Please. Luck, be on my side.” Howon thought, and Sungjong agreed.

 

 

“If you don’t put anything out you lose~ Rock, paper, scissors!” Sungjong sang as he threw out scissors and Howon threw out a fist.

 

 

“I win!” Howon grinned, showing his canines as Sungjong huffed.

 

 

“Hmph. I’ll go get chicken and be back,” Sungjong stomped out of the apartment.

 

 

Howon and Somi were sitting on the couch in comfortable silence. Howon didn’t know how to start the conversation, so he scooted over to Somi and took her locket in between his fingers.

 

 

“What are you doing?” Somi smacked Howon’s hand away from her locket, and Howon felt a little hurt.

 

 

“Kim.. Kim Sunggyu,” he said, and Somi looked at him with disbelief.

 

 

“You know Sunggyu?” Somi asked, feeling guilty.

 

 

“No. But I’ve heard of him,” Howon said. “Mind telling me your story, best friend?” Howon emphasized the last two words.

 

 

Somi sighed, and told Howon all about Sunggyu. It was the fourth time she had told her story. First, she told Sungyeol, long ago. Then, she told Myungsoo, and recently, she had told Woohyun. Now, her best friend, Howon had found out.

 

 

“Soon, the whole neighborhood is going to know,” Somi groaned.

 

 

Howon told Somi that she had mentioned Sunggyu while talking in her sleep.

 

 

“I’m sorry for not telling you sooner.. I didn’t really like talking about.. him. I’m not a good best friend,” Somi was guilty.

 

 

“No.. It’s okay,” Howon said. “But I want to be there for my bestie when she’s suffering.”

 

 

Howon hugged Somi and she hugged him back with a smile.

 

 

“I’m okay now. That happened long ago, anyways.”

 

 

Howon was silent for a second, before he opened his mouth. “Even though it happened long ago, do you still love Kim Sunggyu?”

 

 

Somi thought for a second, her expression dark and gloomy. Before she could answer, the front door opened.

 

 

“SOMI NOONA! YOUR CHICKEN IS HERE!” Sungjong yelled happily.

 

 

~~~

 

Sunggyu sat down in the mess hall and ate his stew quietly, picking at the pieces of meat and piling pieces of kimchi into his mouth.

 

 

“General Kim Sunggyu?” asked his commander.

 

 

Sunggyu quickly bowed and walked over to face his leader.

 

 

“Our agent has decided to bring the girl here. It is estimated that they will arrive in about five days. She will be executed in front of all our soldiers. You will be the one to do it. You will now be able to carry out your original task.”

 

 

Sunggyu gulped.

 

 

“Yes, sir.”

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

*Author’s Note: I think the next few chapters that I write will start to get a little bit more dramatic! But this story has about 10 more chapters left! Thank you everyone for reading so far, and waiting for me to update! I’ll try to update more frequently eheh.. And the song that Sungyeol sang a few lines of when he was asking Jinhee out was Infinite-F’s 너라서! It’s my favorite Infinite-F song and you guys should listen to it! ^^